BeOS

This was a masterpiece that failed because instead of marketing it as general purpose PC (which was WAAAAY AHEAD in terms of performance at the time) for average users, the CEO was so up his own ass that he scared all the customers off with claims like "If you want to use our computer, learn C++ first". And when they realized they are fucked and tried to port it and sell on x86, they were fucked by Microsoft, because all the vendors were prohibited to install something alongside Windows with a boot manager, and Windows was the safer choice.

The system was really good, though, I wish it became mainsteam instead of Windows.

Attached: beos.png (1026x768, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>If you want to use our computer, learn C++ first

This is how all computers should be. Only people willing to learn or be taught how a system works should interact with one.

Smartphones killed computing.

>Only people willing to learn or be taught how a system works should interact with one

How dare you use electricity without knowing how a powerplant works in all the technical details

>Penitum iii
>1900 mhz

Choose one faggot.

>How dare you use electricity without knowing how a powerplant works in all the technical details

How dare a complex system that relies largely upon user input not be synonymous to how hardware interacts with energy, with little user input.

I don't even care much about later ports, their original hardware was capable of running several games and some shit like rendering video at the same time.

>largely on user input

No

A car relies on user input to operate. Yet not everyone is a fucking mechanic.
Stop being an elitist, computers are merely tools to get shit done and not some sacred artifact that should be handled only by those who possess sacred knowledge.

This shit had a sane filesystem that could support terabytes of disk space. In 90-s. Why they had to be so smug and fail the marketing.

Why does UI of a defunct OS from late 90s looks and feels better than anything Lunix freetards have sharted out since 1991?

Things made with GTK and Qt always, without an exception look a bit.. "special".

The BeOS UI copies a bunch wholesale from Mac OS of the day, with a similar level of polish. They spent like 5 years before actually releasing the system to the public mucking about with the UI (and other aspects of the OS) as well.

I think it's a matter of personal taste. And there are tons of different UIs for Linux, Cinnamon is fucking amazing IMO.

oh you sweet autistic child

I actually purchased beos Pro back in the day. Bebits was my home page. Win98 was garbage before se and I much preferred beos

But it clearly says: -1900MHz.

Linux GUI will be always inferior to BeOS/Haiku. This is a fact.

Define "inferior". And Linux can have ANY fucking UI.

>How dare you use electricity without knowing how a powerplant works in all the technical details

I have a very good understanding of the modern power grid actually, including ICS/SCADA components, peak plants, load shedding techniques, etc.

The reason why computing is such shit nowadays is because of this very attitude. Not everyone is meant to use computers. In fact, I'd argue that very few people should be using them at all.

nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

>What Most Users Can Do
If you want to target a broad consumer audience, it’s safest to assume that users’ skills are those specified for level 1. (But, remember that 14% of adults have even poorer skills, even disregarding the many who can’t use a computer at all.)

>To recap, level 1 skills are:

>Little or no navigation required to access the information or commands required to solve the problem
>Few steps and a minimal number of operators
>Problem resolution requiring the respondent to apply explicit criteria only (no implicit criteria)
>Few monitoring demands (e.g., having to check one’s progress toward the goal)
>Identifying content and operators done through simple match (no transformation or inferences needed)
>No need to contrast or integrate information

>Anything more complicated, and your design can only be used by people with skills at level 2 or 3, meaning that you’re down to serving 31% of the population in the United States, 35% in Japan and the UK, 37% in Canada and Singapore, and 38% in Northern Europe and Australia. Again, the international variations don’t matter much relative to the big-picture conclusion: keep it extremely simple, or two thirds of the population can’t use your design.

Computers should only be fore people smart enough to use them, having to dumb down interfaces for retards is an insane waste of time for very smart people.

If you don't know how an internal combustion engine works, you shouldn't be using one.

Attached: nngroup_computer_skills.png (1400x1016, 57K)

All of them trying to be the one, but the plenty different ui toolkit creates a big mess. No Linux hi can be so well integrated as the win/Mac/Haiku hi.
Linux is layers over layers over layers.

>Computers should only be fore people smart enough to use them

English should only be for people who can spell correctly.

Anyway, that's a fucking retarded opinion. If you project this logic to anything else, this notion becomes autistic. Should I be a carpenter in order to use furniture? Should I be a farmer in order to eat food? They why the fuck should I be a software developer in order to use a computer?

Maybe I also should be a fucking geographer in order to use maps?

>If you don't know how an internal combustion engine works, you shouldn't be using one.

I know how it works generally, but knowing how to program in C++ in order to use a computer is equivalent to knowing how to design an build an engine from scratch in order to use a car.
FUCKING WHY

>integrated
Ah, this bullshit again.

Can you please provide an example of a specific case when UI on Linux is not "integrated" enough?

Too bad Haiku sucks

>English should only be for people who can spell correctly.

>Should I be a carpenter in order to use furniture?
You should understand the basics of how the furniture is built, in order to fix it yourself.

>Should I be a farmer in order to eat food?
You should understand the very complex logistics of how your food gets to you, and the general practices in how it is produced, yes.

>They why the fuck should I be a software developer in order to use a computer?
To make the computer better and be self-sufficient. Contribute back to the community. Only once you've started to write your own programs you'll be able to appreciate the difficulty in building software. People on their smartphones all day have no semblance of this and should not be allowed to partake if they do not contribute.

>knowing how to program in C++ in order to use a computer is equivalent to knowing how to design an build an engine from scratch in order to use a car.
You're acting like C++ is some kind of impossible witchcraft. It's not that hard. I'm not saying that you should be able to write a ray-tracing algorithm or something in it, but I do think it should be a requirement for someone to be able to do a basic hello world.

We have tests for driving vehicles, you know. I'm just asking for the standard to be applied evenly and for people to become a little more versatile.

ok, have fun existing without understanding the universe
(you should kys if you don't really understand how it works (wich you don't, so go kys faggot))

you just keep moving the goalposts

do you even cook for yourself?

your insane lust for division of labor is why we have companies like snapchat valued in the billions

if engineers only had to build computers for other engineers this world would be much better, I'm not saying that people who don't use computers shouldn't benefit from them, I'm saying they should have no influence over the design.

If you use closed-source software you think this way by default, my corollary is that I believe all software should be open source, along with hardware design files.

>your insane lust for division of labor
Division of labor is something that allowed civilization to exist in the first place.

A computer is just a fucking tool to do shit. It's GOOD to know how it works, but demanding to be an engineer to use one is nuts.
I think your ideal world is something like we had in the 50s, with a dozen or so big mainframe computers existing in the whole world, built by engineers for engineers.

You mean the non-existing problem, where all the different hi toolkit uses different ui widgets, different fonts, different hinting and kerning, different icon sets, and littering with cryptic config files your home, so there was never any need to develop bridges between these, and never was necessary to create unified control panels, which *trying* to present a homogenous ui for the users?
Or do you mean the non-existing issue where KDE have no idea about the running GTK programs (and vice versa) except how big their window is, so it makes small but visible glitches here and there, even with default settings?
Or do you wrote your comment just because you think you are the only one who have right and we are just stupid helicopters?
If so: yeah, I think the same, but about you. Not a big deal, take it easy mate!

>If you want to use our computer, learn C++ first
#include
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout

>I think your ideal world is something like we had in the 50s, with a dozen or so big mainframe computers existing in the whole world, built by engineers for engineers.

No, it's more like the 80s and early 90s. Back then you needed to have a modicum of understanding of how the machine worked before you could consider yourself productive with one. And the high barrier to entry in terms of cost kept retards from becoming a new demographic for capitalists to cater to.

The age of the $50 smartphone destroys this, increases social isolation (ironically enough) and encourages software entropy. Smart people are now enslaved to build software for stupid people.

>Back then you needed to have a modicum of understanding of how the machine worked before you could consider yourself productive with one

FUCKING KEK
How it feels to live in Narnia, boy?

oh my god you are so autistic please kys

>being able to write software allows you to make the computer better
>a software developer is self sufficient
Embedded systems engineer here. I had to solder together an SoC with a fuckload of IO controllers (USB, VGA, etc), RAM, a ROM chip and document the entire process to get my current job. Program basic booting process as well. Was promised mad cash for the hassle and received it.

Desktop PCs and laptops are several orders of magnitude more complicated.

Since you're being a haughty piece of shit, I ask you to stop using a computer immediately until you're able to solder together a complete PC from scratch.

Or, you know, accept that it's a software developer's job to produce code so others who have different professions don't have to. Just like I can't fly a plane, find subtle defects on MRT pictures or build a house. The point of professions is to share the results with others and getting paid in return.

>Level 3
>At this level, tasks typically require the use of both generic and more specific technology applications. Some navigation across pages and applications is required to solve the problem. The use of tools (e.g. a sort function) is required to make progress towards the solution. The task may involve multiple steps and operators.
Nuclear holocaust when?

So why C++ and not C or javascript or Assembly? Fuck off, operating systems are only there to as a black box abstraction over hardware. Get on the PC and run your programs period.

>fix it yourself
No thanks.
>should
Trade secrets and proprietary deals obscure your naive ideas.
>make the computer better
Programmer's job.
>smartphone
People on the smartphone pay money to support this industry. Without this money, we'd be stuck the useless 80s and early 90s where you code what you need yoruself in DOS, waste of time.
>witchcraft
C++ is just a programming language. It's turing complete so I can learn C, ASM, javascript, python and still make the same programs.

I see your point. But I don't have problems like that usually.

But they DO know how it works. You click the thingy and then the thing opens and then you click more stuff

>not some sacred artifact that should be handled only by those who possess sacred knowledge
They should be. People get in more trouble with computers than cars.

To be honest, that is what matters at the end of the day.
Let's take an elevator, for example. Do you really need to know the engineering part of it, how it knows what floor to take you when you press a button? Will that knowledge change the fact that you press the button and it takes you to the floor you want to go? No.

The same with software. For example, I need to print a document. To do that, I type in the shit I want to print, then press a button and it comes out of my printer. How exactly the knowledge of, I don't know, how a printer driver works exactly will improve this process?

And it's not a BAD thing to know this stuff, I'd encourage it, but it's autistic to demand for it to be mandatory. It's just hypocritical.

I ran it in the year 2000, its redraw speed and lack of input lag made it feel like a racecar compared to linux/windows

On their own hardware or x86 port?

But what am I talking about, they only sold 1800 units

>If you want to use a taxi, learn to drive
>If you want to drive, learn to design and create cars and roads from basic materials
>Learn to extract and refine basic materials

I actually bought this boxed. Used it as my main OS for a while, during a time when I just spent all my time shitposting

Thing is, it was expensive vs. getting Windows "free" with a PC or using Linux so that put most off. The rest were put off by the lack of applications or games. It was sort of a desktop equivalent of Windows Phone in that it was too late to the market to get off the ground.

This.

BeOS was blazingly fast on every arch compared to the concurrent OS on same hw, at least it felt faster.

>C++
I wonder why they failed. Hmmm...

I guess they got... STROUSTRUPED!

kek

Bad marketing and Microsoft Monopoly. They would still be around today if macos decided to use them instead of Next to make the new Macos. Nice try Cnile.

>They would still be around today if macos decided to use them
Apple offered to buy them for 100 millions. CEO said he wants 300 and told the press that he's got Apple by the balls (literally). Apple then decided that it's not worth it.

You're being even more elitist than I am. Do you not see the irony in this?

Division of labor is fine, so far as you UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF THE TOOLS YOU ARE BEING GIVEN.

The average mouthbreather with an iPhone doesn't even understand a capacitive touchscreen, let alone the complexities of the engineering that went into developing it. I'm asking for bare basics, dude. Like, what's the difference between a bus and star topology. That kind of shit.

Everyone in this thread is calling me autistic and shit, they've never worked a tier-1 helpdesk and realized just how retarded the average person is. Everyone here is very likely Level 4 in terms of skill and ironically cannot understand that the things they design are for retards.

You're being too specific, I'm being prescriptive in generalities.

>People on the smartphone pay money to support this industry. Without this money, we'd be stuck the useless 80s and early 90s where you code what you need yoruself in DOS, waste of time.
The majority of technological advancement occurred in the 80s and 90s. We've been stagnating for two decades. In terms of design of new programming languages and hardware, we're actually regressing in some areas, notably security.

Autism. I'm asking for basic standards.

A 20 minute class on C/C++ would filter so many plebs, you have no idea how much better things would be.

Everybody on here getting mad at me is just worried they'd be left out. Stop being fags and be confident in your ability to learn simple programming.

>UNDERSTAND THE BASICS OF THE TOOLS
Understanding how a computer works doesn't require programming skills.

>A 20 minute class on C/C++ would filter so many plebs, you have no idea how much better things would be.
Enjoy your 2000+ $ PCs.

>Enjoy your 2000+ $ PCs
I am ok with this if it means we can have fucking deskside supercomputers again.
That would even restore the respect for our work and remove all the curry.

Forgot the pic

Attached: 4085AE06-FBBA-468B-8A20-9B82E44FAD9C.png (564x563, 442K)

>fucking deskside supercomputers again
We never had this back then, you moron
Any chink smarphone is a fucking supercomputer compared to what you could get 20 or more years ago

Do you not understand irony?
I'm not requesting this kind of knowledge from the average person. They can use what I build so I can use whatever they offer.
It's elitist pieces of human garbage I ask to follow their own advice.

I also hope you start carrying a list of medical devices you're familar with. With any luck the next medical emergency will kill you because you forgot to add the defibrillator or something.

As much as your narcistic behavior pisses me off, I'll have to agree on the iPhone mouthbreather part.
However, I'd be content with them appreciating the work that went into it. They don't have to understand the basics of the tools (c'mon, let the tech supporters have their jobs), just appreciate it somehow.
Sadly, they do not. Can we agree on that? If so, I'll take back the insults.

>Can we agree on that? If so, I'll take back the insults.
Whoah, boy, careful there, you can spark a civilized discussion

I like living on the edge friend

You didn’t had.

Your dad ded.

Fine.

>you shouldn’t be using a os without having written it yourself in assembly.
Absolute state of techlets.