Why would anyone host their own email server? What is the point?

Why would anyone host their own email server? What is the point?

Attached: file.png (900x1060, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

c0ffee.net/blog/mail-server-guide/
theverge.com/2019/5/17/18629789/google-purchase-history-gmail-email-receipts
mail-tester.com/
testssl.sh/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why dont you kill yourself youre gonna die anyways?

I did this once just for shits and giggles. It's absolutely pointless for individuals.

I could ask you the same question, you fucking simpleton.

Yeah that's sort of how I feel about it, but I thought I'd ask anyway and see what the general consensus is. I'm filing it under "Another autism project".

you can have your own domain

for email? what do you think the point is?

>had hotmail
>fuck this, switch to gmail
>fuck this, switch to lavabit
>lavabit ded, fuck this make my own damn email server
been running 6 years now

Not fully understanding the scope of the question there, ey?

I was using the legendary Inbox; I've yet to find anything that was as perfect as it.

cont.
while it's a bit of a pain in the dick to configure initially, it's pretty much maintenance-free, i've not really had to touch it outside of adding a few new aliases
it helps to have other uses for a vps as well, it probably seems like a lot of work if you're /only/ using it for email
i don't need to worry about it going down or dying off

Don't. Use disroot with PGP if you're a person. If you're an organization, use swishmail and S/MIME. That's it.

Unlike hosting most types of server at home, there are no practical upsides to hosting your own mail server.

I guess it's good for LARPing. You can pretend you're a sysadmin from the 90's.

LOL get a load a that kid. Fuuuuck,

Psst hey kid. wanna buy a box of blue sparks?

how do I make my own? any minimal hardware requirements?

Because 1 its fun to learn about and setup. 2 bragging rights. 3 I am able to do much much more with it. I can setup things like catch all adresses and the like. Super usefull.

>how do I make my own?
do it
>any minimal hardware requirements?
it's email, i doubt you can buy a VPS today that can't handle email

I do
The need for a catchall mail address was enough of a must have that i set one up

Its great to know how to host an email server if you ever have a small business or even just a domain.
For example most of my family use email addresses under the family's surname domain name as it looks a lot more professional than using hotmail or gmail or some shit. (There isn't actually a website on the domain so family members can use it for whatever business they want) With just my immediate family without cousins, uncles and grandparents etc. (Because most hosts make you pay per inbox, not an issue if you host your own…) the cheapest half credible email host I could find was already 20 euros more than what I spend on a vps which is also hosting a few web sites and other basic services.

Attached: 1560038181892.jpg (1080x1080, 166K)

Did you just stumble upon Jow Forums today kid?

What do you mean by catch all?

he's a bugchaser. he wants to catchem all

pokeemans are technology

>Why would anyone host their own email server? What is the point?
The point is Google won't scan your email body text and attachment to spy you

So you can have a (your first name)@(your last name).com so you’re not using your [email protected] on your resume

pls be bait.

You’d still have to own your last name as a domain. Could be tricky unless you use obscure extensions.

Exchange has a 2019 preview so... Sys admin from 2019?

Networking noob here (probably considered smart for normies though so not a complete retard), I get domain names and how they work but what governs the .org or the .com or the .gov, etc.?

You can do the same with most big email providers.

As the winner of the popular vote

>what governs the .org or the .com or the .gov, etc.?

Those are top level domains.
They work exactly the same as lower level domains.

ie: someone owns "org", someone else owns "com", etc.
But they are all big institutions, except for the new tld's which anyone can buy.

If, say, you own "org" then you control all the domains ending in ".org" as well.
Just like when you own, say, "abc.com" you control any subdomains like "www.abc.com", "ftp.abc.com", etc.

c0ffee.net/blog/mail-server-guide/

Thanks for explaining it to me. Have a (You) as a reward kind user.

Because if everybody did then it wouldn’t be a locked down market.

A better question is why hosting your own e-mail server isn’t trivial to the common end user, and instead shilled against.
Why did Hillary host her own private mail server?

>it's pretty much maintenance-free

Unless you don't mind losing messages you have to make constant backups and keep a redundancy server stand-by.

Once you set it up properly though that's maintenance free too.

With modern hard-drive and even software technology this is a non issue unless you are a Mega Server like g-mail.
Trivial home e-mail self serving would eliminate tech oligopolies in this field of technology; which is why there is propaganda posted about how you shouldn’t host your own and demoralization about doing so.

Privacy. If you use GMail they have your utility bills, your flight itineraries, your Amazon purchases, all tied to your identity, which they then use to target ads. theverge.com/2019/5/17/18629789/google-purchase-history-gmail-email-receipts

Host your own server, with SMTPS/STARTTLS/MTA-STS, and nobody can see what emails you get (although your STARTTLS connections are still subject to MITM)

agreed.
nothing better feeling that having a postfix+dovecot+amavis setup humming along under your belt

So what?

If privacy is something you care about, it's obvious.

If you don't care about privacy, keep on doing what you're doing.

>Why would anyone use this?
>someone gives reasons
lel that's not a reason xddddd ebin

What part did you read where I stated that it wasn't a reason? Do you often put words in people's mouths?

Attached: file.png (1600x1150, 2.6M)

I'd have thought you'd be fine with having no control over how you are categorized and represented on the internet.

So to summarise, you were putting words in my mouth.

Attached: file.png (449x401, 398K)

Privacy.
>So what?
literal braindead retard if you cannot see how you literally said that it's not a reason.

Why are you getting so upset over being called out?

Paranoid schizophrenia

It's a huuuuge pain in the ass keeping lists updated and shit so you don't get blacklisted from major mailservers. Every time they talk about Hilldawg's email server I silently clap for the poor intern who has surely been doing a bunch of stupid work to maintain it all this time.

>implying
"So what?" ≠ "That's not a reason"

holy shit literally dilate motherfucker you are blind af

waaaah I don't care about that it's not a reason waaaaaaaaaaah
dilate and cope harder, eternal seether

>A better question is why hosting your own e-mail server isn’t trivial to the common end user
Mail is one of those things that I tell people to stay away from if they're not power users specifically because the entire mail ecosystem, all the way from the applications to the protocol they deal in, are not built to be made trivial. Spam, denial of service attacks and block lists are just the tip of the iceberg and even just that is too much for many sysadmins, let alone Joe the plumber. You wouldn't believe how often mail servers accidentally end up being open relays, getting the company's IP and domain blacklisted from dozens of protection services.

There was a short window of time quite a while back where just about anyone with a pulse could manage their own mail services but that's long gone; bad actors abusing bad protocols and bad standards caused bad band-aids to be applied industry-wide, destroying any possibility of widespread personal mail hosting in $CURRENT_YEAR. Doesn't help that the big players (e.g. Google's GMail) seem to like bouncing, spam-flagging or even just silently refusing messages from low-traffic IPs, and seemingly at random, with no rhyme or reason.

>taking a screenshot of a transparent png and saving it as png
Why?

it's on par with the retardation required to save the thumbnail instead of the actual picture

you're welcome

Attached: file.jpg (420x495, 7K)

Chill bud, you're obviously not used to people calling you out on your bullshit.

Sorry I'm just not wrong nearly ever. Not something I'm used to

There are pre-configured docker images out there that you can use to setup a fully functional mail server in minutes.
The real question is: why wouldn't you?

Attached: 1559014740939.jpg (917x980, 767K)

>not wrong nearly ever

Attached: 1559384743461.jpg (215x300, 11K)

based stroke poster

Then you're wrong much more often then you think. To learn, one needs to question one's understanding of the world. When you stop questioning, you stop changing for the better. Remember, if you can't prove to yourself or others an idea theory or fact, then that idea might as well be incorrect.

Relax, explaining this to an underage kid like him is just a waste of time.

Jesus Christ, how autistic are you?

Good post. Don't even think of hosting your own email unless you have the appropriate kind of connection from your ISP. You will get blacklisted / banned summarily. If you don't take precautions your server will be used and abused by spammers and other assholes. Best abuse I saw personally was where the offender would send a message to a non working email address of the domain, with the reply to of this message being the address of the intended receipient. The email system would then notify the reply to address that the email was bad therby delivering the email . Fuck me. I would never have thought of that haha.

It's time to die, zoomie. Satan is calling your name

Good luck getting blocked/marked as spam by half the people you send email to.

Well you were wrong here. Again, you're more than likely just a pretentious asshole who's used to bullying people into submission. In any case, calling out your bullshit quickly neuters you.

>zoomie
>why dont you kill yourself youre gonna die anyways?
Yeah, you got me.

Attached: file.png (483x379, 389K)

Because I can have my own domain with a gazillion usernames without any retarded limits imposed on me by email providers. I can also process all my emails with bash scripts.

Attached: 1553903742488.jpg (476x474, 27K)

Well I'm wrong in my head a lot of times, then I think about stuff, then I get it right eventually. Every conviction I hold has a proof or reason to it - absolutely everything.
I can hide it sometimes but it's obvious after I tell people.
I don't and honestly I just acted on impulse and kept it going like a dummy.

Not an issue with the proper dns records.

I hope you don't think simply setting up dmarc/dkim/spf keeps you off blacklists.

I tried setting up my own but it gmail wouldn't accept emails from my server.

I had to set it up so that it would accept emails from my server by going into settings..

not that useful if you need to be able to have clients communicate using their free email accounts.

technically its a whitelist, since everyone who isn't vetted is blocked by default.

stay mad

This is not true. It is a blacklist.
Create a new domain and send an email, it won't be marked as spam by ((((most)))) email providers.

oh. i guess i should have registered my ip as a domain in a DNS Server.

just don't create an open mail relay and you won't get spam blacklisted either

cool story bro

i just have a cronjob which rsync's the servers' entire root volume (logs in via pubkey) to my home desktop
if the vps disappeared tomorrow, i can just buy a new one and restore the whole thing as-is, with minimal hook up

As of today, gmail only ask for an spf record in your DNS settings, as long a s you keep it simple, if you add relays and other servers you will need mx records and more.

Purely resume padding. I'm in infosec so it's ironic if I had a gmail.

Because I used computers before everyone had free webmail. Not everyone is just stumbling upon their first computer.

So yes, we'd run our own mail servers.

don't call me bro, brah

get fucked, bro.

bruh, I SAID don't call me bro

>this thread

Attached: 015.png (434x327, 55K)

again, get fucked, bro.

bump

If you're using a VPS you can set up DNS PTR, DMARC, SPF, etc etc.
I'm running a server on a residential IP and I only get blocked by providers who do DNS PTR checks, which isn't very many.

So you can bleachbit your server when the feds want to see your emails. Didn't Hillary already teach you this?

This. Set up DMARC/DKIM/SPF and gmail accepts it just fine. Whitelist yourself in spamhaus/SORBS and it'll go through hotmail.

Is it summer already?

Anyone hosting their own MTA - mail-tester [0] will check how to improve your setup. I've got my MTA configured just right and haven't been blacklisted anywhere.

Also for configuring your cipher suites, testssl.sh [1] is great tool to check your configuration.

[0] mail-tester.com/
[1] testssl.sh/

Attached: Screenshot_20190629-102241__01.jpg (1080x1839, 361K)

Whats your email address ?