Western Digital says that the 13-minute power outage impacted wafers that were processed, the facilities...

anandtech.com/show/14596/toshiba-western-digital-nand-production-partially-halted-by-power-outage

>Western Digital says that the 13-minute power outage impacted wafers that were processed, the facilities, and production equipment. The company indicates that the incident will reduce its NAND flash wafer supply in Q3 by approximately 6 EB (exabytes), which is believed to be about a half of the company’s quarterly supply of NAND. Toshiba does not disclose the impact the outage will have on its NAND wafer supply in the coming months, but confirms that the fabs are partially suspended at the moment. Keeping in mind that Toshiba generally uses more capacity of the fabs than WD, the impact on its supply could be significantly higher than 6 EB with some estimating that it could be as high as ~9 EB.

JUST

Attached: ssd1.jpg (350x350, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

westerndigital.com/company/newsroom/press-releases/2019/2019-06-27-western-digital-comments-on-power-outage-in-yokkaichi-region
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ah yes the flood 2.0

Wanted to make a thread, decided to check out the catalog first.
westerndigital.com/company/newsroom/press-releases/2019/2019-06-27-western-digital-comments-on-power-outage-in-yokkaichi-region
> oy vey, prices are going down, we need another incident!
At best, I believe it means tariffs won't drop prices further.

>power outage
Where did I hear this bef-
Also, they finna boutta get chinked

Why do the chinks love to manipulate supply so blatantly?

The seagate has been breached again

>Western Digital plant
>on Japan
>chinks
I realize you just want excuses to throw punches at the chinks, but yikes, try a little harder next time

activate the price manipulation

Does this affect SSDs and RAM?

>13 minute power outage
>half of all quarter production has to be thrown out

How???? Did the power outage cause a forklift driver to crash into all of the wafers or something?????

seems legit

The cooring mechanism fairred the entire warehouse mertdown

THESE STUPID FUCKS ARE GONNA MAKE SSD PRICES GO BACK UP. GONE ARE THE DAYS WHERE I CAN GET A 256 GB SSD FOR $30.

Attached: 1558974199400.jpg (300x309, 22K)

I agree it sounds like a bullshit excuse that will be exaggerated to jack prices up.

It apparently takes two months for NAND Flash wavers to be completed. So the entire two month batch of Flash at that factory is DISCO. Destroyed, Incinerated, Scrapped, Combobulated, Obliterated.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that they produces big chunks of chips at the same time and the power outage hit them at most crucial hour.

That's what you get for not buying in a shekel recession,

Oy vey

> How????
Chemicals react more than needed -> logic gates are fugged.

They really do half a quarters worth of production all at once? And a multimillion dollar facility doesnt have mission critical power backups?

Srsly the lost income from with is many orders of magnitude greater than a multi KW battery backup/generator system would cost them.

This is price fixing, or maybe they made many batches of chips wrong and didnt do QC till most were done with litho and theyre trying to cover it up

well don't buy storage drives for the next 1-2 years.

>power outage
Have they ever heard about UPSs?

Attached: 71+39kie5SL._SL1500_.jpg (1331x1500, 94K)

Try megawatts of power generation and enough lithium batteries to keep that factory running for a day or two.

It's Japan, they think they are invulnerable. Look at Fukushima and the toddleresque backup systems they had.

I smell another cartel price fix incoming.

Toshiba is a bankrupt zombie company kept alive by the Japanese because they don't want to see it go

Incompetence is more likely than criminal behavior

How do multi billion $ fabs not have power backups?

Attached: 1485121720458.gif (379x440, 140K)

> toddleresque backup systems they had
Wasn't is designed by General Electric? Anyway, I do agree they could've overlooked it, only rigorous QC can help there.

Half the wafers for the entire quarter just happened to be submerged at the time?

What would happen if they sold them anyway?

God could have built that backup system. But it wouldn't have done a damn thing against placing that backup system in a low position on site where it can be flooded by sea water during a freak tsunami.

either all DOA or dying shortly after, and the company being forced to do a recall
they won't

From my limited understanding of lithography, this is how chips are made. Layer after layer, they are submerged in various chemicals all the time. Or most of the time.

Sold what? The NAND wafers are fucked. It's like selling a deflated football after it's been shot by 12Ga birdshot.

> dying shortly after
Sounds like a perfect Aliexpress SSD material.

Russia recently sold millions of tons of contaminated crude oil.
A clusterfuck ensued as ships carrying the oil have been left stranded because the traders who bought the cargo are unable to find end-users.
Meanwhile the ships are still getting paid so the traders are losing doubly.
To add to the confusion, the Russians said they will compensate the people who bought the defective crude, but only if they are Russian. Non-Russians get fucked.

>sell to chinks for a pittance, better than nothing
>chinks repackage them and sell for cheap
>"Hey this SSD doesn't work"
>As Confucius say, you get what you pay for!
>sneaky chink closes business doors then reopens them the next day with a new name

pries will crawl up

Didn't they also start shipping the contaminated oil back to Russia for some super expensive chemical processing?

Dilution 15-to-1 should do it.
15 regular crude cargoes and 1 contaminated

Now imagine having a suezmax loaded with 1 million barrels waiting for 15 regular shipments before it can fully unload its dirty cargo. Might be waiting over a year.
Good money for a ship basically doing nothing.

RIP 1TB SSDs for $80, i will miss you.
See you again in maybe 2 years.

SSD toddlers BTFO.
Spinning rust wins again.

Power outage 2.0
The next flood excuse isn't due yet.

>Japan
>Not chinks
Differences?

> needs 2 month to complete a batch
> no emergency ondulers to save the day
why do i even give a fuck about my job ? from now on i'll send non-tested software, who cares anyway

>Toshiba and WD
>like 10% of the market
>affecting anything
Hahahahaha

>implying that you and all other developer are not already doing that
kek.

>i-it's an accident.
>it won't affect the price.
>promise.

>10% of the market not affecting anything
You must be new, and misunderstand the price gauging cartel.

i'd answer (you) but there is a 13 minute power outage right now

$80 for 1TB?
We can't have that.

Attached: 1529494737927s.jpg (250x250, 8K)

Japanese
>Nips

Chinese
>Chinks

Koreans
>Gooks

Vietnamese
>Jungle Gooks

Mfw they're all gooks, chinks, and slopes to me.

>God can't elevate back up generators.
>God can't figure out the logistics of putting charged batteries on a truck on driving them where they're needed
The shit failed because there wasn't back up power for a long time, and they fucked around trying to cover up shit instead of getting power back up. If this shit happened here they'd have a thousand rednecks in trucks hooked up to jumper cables charging batteries to be swapped in until normal power was restored.

Well that confirms it. I am getting a Samsung Evo™

If anything the Koreans are more likely to dump and lower prices to kill the japs off. NAND has been one steady decline for ages

Attached: ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u1.png (549x413, 110K)

Its like you dont understand Korean jews at all.
Samsung has been trying to keep prices in all time high since China started making NAND.

>If anything the Koreans are more likely to dump and lower prices to kill the japs off
If anything you don't understand how price gauging works.

>13min outage
>oy vey half of 12months supply is ruined!
who fucking believes that shit?

Looks like I'm gonna buy ADATA then.

kek
So let me get this straight.
A 13 minutes power outage is enough to destroy 12.5% of the annual NAND production of one of the biggest producer in the world.

QUICK!!!

TELL ME THE BEST SSD TO GET BEFORE THE PRICE HIKE

The gooks and chinks are gonna ride the spike and fuck westerners left and right for a year.

I exhaled harder than normal, heres a (you)

intel optane or samsung 860 evo, whichever is better $/gb

wafer processing is a very deep pipeline and it's hard to salvage any wafer

But honestly will one manufacturer having issues cause a hike in prices?

You do.

Anything can be used as excuse to reestablish the cartel.

If only something similar has happened in the past then why might be able to make an attempt at an educated guess.

>The gooks, and chinks
>Doesn't understand that the nips, and round eyes are also in on it.
Industry wide collusion, and price gauging cartel...?

Thanks. Those evos sure are cheap. I should have paid more attention to ssds and got one a year ago.

I ask because i honestly do not know. Ive only recently become interested in hardware. PC build virgin here.

Curse my trips confirming quads. Any decent places in Germany to get SSDs? Im here for the next couple weeks.

Kek, glad I bought terabytes of MLC SSDs recently.

Oh then the answer is yes. All the companies are in on it, and use every excuse to keep prices high, so everyone makes money.
>floods
>earthquakes
>other natural disasters, and phenomenon
and
>power outages
>fires
Affect the prices for everyone whether, or not these things even happened at the factories.
I believe that ddr4 ram prices went up, because there was a flood a few cities away from a factory in China, and ddr3 prices went up before that, because nobody made ddr3 for 3 years before ddr4 became standard.
If you're wondering the prices didn't go down either after everything went back to normal.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1536182724663.png (1246x833, 497K)

Do you remember how long it took for prices to rise?

So there's a temporary global shortage of har- NAND. All manufacturers up their prices. Seag- WD and Toshiba have a record fiscal quarter. Some time later, production is back to normal. And... prices remain up. Wonderful.

Well ain't that just perfect.
We're never going to see 100$ 2TB SSDs if this shit keeps up.
The Chinks can't enter this game quickly enough. I hope they absolutely rape the competition with piss cheap products and force these price gouging cunts to slash their prices so it really hurts their profit margins.

Attached: Slightly upset.gif (400x220, 2.13M)

Yes. It's an absurdly long production cycle, but it forces you to restart, it would take more time and money to attempt to salvage the wafers.

It's the same reason people are saying Intel is in a jam right now, they can't just plug in a new design and have it ready by the end of the year. It's the same reason Intel had shortages that lasted as long as they did. That said, thankfully Intel has craters of cash and can make up for it with said cash. No idea what WD and Toshiba need to do in order to make up for their losses. Almost certainly going to mean increased prices in storage.

Quickly in this case. I'm not certain, but I suspect that this is a last ditch price hike before the chinks get a foothold in the market.