Xfce 4.14 release date 11.8!!

How hyped are you of new release of coziest desktop?

Most of the stuff is now ported to GTK3.

Attached: 1526692108172.png (408x368, 96K)

don't care. desktops are bloat

Hyped ass fuck. XFCE is even comfier than tea with milk and honey.

You're bloat. Delete yourself.

>He uses XFCE
what are you, a poorfag?

>Most of the stuff is now ported to GTK3
Just in time for GTK4 to be released ;)

this release kills the meme

Based, truly the white man's desktop environment.

>>Most of the stuff is now ported to GTK3.
what about the themes? I love the Xfce themes but for a long time I've had to either use different ones or splice together GTK2 and 3 parts, because they only work for GTK2 programs. I will not put up with the disgusting failed abortion that is Adwaita.

Just in time for ubuntu to poo all over steam/wine and therefore kneecap xubuntu. I was looking forward to finally having cozy xfce with wayland.

Porting from 3->4 is a lot easier than porting from 2->3

Don't really care, it wont be in debian stable or centos for like 5 years.

Going going, XFCE!
Though I'm more of an LXQt man myself.

Debian testing is more suited for normal personal computing.

>uses a DE for CentOS

Attached: 1548550363764.jpg (1074x1065, 105K)

>what are you, a poorfag?
no, I use KDE which is more expensive.

Attached: plow.jpg (620x348, 46K)

>xfce
>wayland

Been dreading this day. XFCE has now gone from GOAT DE to irredeemable shit. Reminder that GTK3 literally runs worse than Windows.

Attached: redhat.jpg (598x598, 31K)

>He doesn't know.
Xubuntu is switching to Wayland for 20.4

>LXQT
By 2022 they might actually have it working properly.

Attached: 1543390673965.jpg (125x124, 3K)

I only really use the desktop environment when testing graphical stuff. Dissapointing bleeding edge desktop environments which break every few weeks I can live without.

"Stay awhile and listen!"

I actually normally use openbox + tint2 because I decided to stop distrohopping and landed on void with i3. Got sick of i3 so I went OB to not go turbo bloat.

I actually can't find where I read this. I swear it was in a dev blog or a mailing list or something but now I can't find it at all.

Get a theme that has good GTK2 and 3 support. Like Arc.

there was something on phoronix about something on github based around wlroots if that's what you meant

Thanks that must have been it.

xfce sucks id have a more usable desktop if i switched to windows 95

That's actually a good idea. The problem is that it would take quite a ton of work to pull it off.

not rly, sway did it for everyone

can't wait to get my ryzen 3900x with a nice distro and XFCE 4.14 running

wlroots is a great library and does do the hardest stuff for you, but you still have to basically rewrite the entire window manager.

Openbox+tint2+dmenu is comfy but I respect xfce

More like 2 years for Debian.
I don't use XFCE right now, but it's a really comfy DE. Debian Bullseye with XFCE 4.14 will be good.

This

Attached: xfce4.png (265x314, 33K)

>How hyped are you

Attached: 1558626415505.png (398x376, 193K)

Does it still have horrible screen tearing?

Don't tell me to fix it via graphics driver hacks. Does it have correct vsync like every other desktop or not?

>Like Arc.

Attached: 1549395105904.jpg (484x461, 130K)

it's shit move on to the most maintained desktop instaed

So much this. I want to use Xfce for everything (and did for almost a decade) but Xfce makes Kodi unusable secondary to screen tearing. Looks like I'll be sticking to KDE for the foreseeable future

Gnome?

Hyped as fuck, hope it fixes the few niggles i have with it.

Attached: 20190628133153_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.08M)

Kinda. Windows don't have any tearing, but their content does. I had to resort to compton to fix the issue.

4.14 is supposed to fix screen tearing without needing Compton or some other 3rd party solution right?

It's my favorite and the only DE I use but I use Debian stable so I'm only going to see it in 2 years. Or I can install arch on the other disk really quick just to test it when it comes out. We'll see.

yes

what are you using to get xfce looking like that?

i had no problem with it 4 years ago so maybe your problems are imagined or not relevant to developers.

what's special about it? pretty sure i could've made xfce look that way without any extra software, back in idk like 2006

Was already released for the most part.

4.13 already did long time ago. Mint supplied xfwm 4.13 on day 1. You always had the ability to install it manually on any other DE.

Wow, i thought XFCE was dead.

gnome gets updated more often and has wayland.
enjoy your deprecated college project desktop I guess

> Sync to VBLANK using Present or GLX (100%)
what will Jow Forums do without it's memes

what happens when you maximise a window

gnome has vsync artefacts, overhead resulting in scrolling feeling heavy and sluggish and significant fps drops and annoying stutter in videos

Enjoy your javascript desktop LMAO

openbox is getting ported to wayland by lubuntu/lxqt devs, so maybe we'll finally have a good stacking WM in wayland.
Kwin is kinda wonky still, but that's because it has too many features that need to be polished.

keep it there Xfce, you're almost catching up to gnome 2

Enable sync to vertical blank in window manager tweaks.

GNOME is made in python and javascript ffs. The whole desktop lags unless you use a dedicated GPU and a high end CPU. It's more heavy than running 5 XFCE sessions and it has no multithreading. GNOME is garbage.

Gnome's wayland implementation is broken and garbage. Use someone with a half decent compositor (like wlroots) or just use a good Xorg WM/DE.

I use xfce-smooth for my gtk theme, adwaita icons and qtstep for xfwm theme. Very basic stuff, nothing fancy.

Window decorations are removed to avoid wasting vertical space, and panels are set to intelligent hiding, so they disappear whenever a window covers their space. Here's an example with a maximized thunar

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-30_00-22-17.png (1366x768, 104K)

>Most of the stuff is now ported to GTK3
>mfw my current theme would look like shit and I have to spent countless of hour rericing my setup

Attached: 86543859431070.jpg (412x351, 21K)

>Xfce ported to GTK3
Get a load of this retard

Sauce on wallpaper

Gotcha senpai!

Attached: 1559732730331.png (1920x1040, 2.62M)

Based. Thanks man

I use gnome. It uses 1GB of RAM on idle.

Attached: 1561814572491.jpg (720x405, 47K)

You can get that number lower. A bone-stock gnome on my moderately large arch install idles at roughly 700 megs with a few extensions. I used to think that was a lot, but ultimately, what's a few hundred megs when you have 16 gigs total.

I just don't see a point in using XFCE at all. What is the target demographic?
IMO the people who just want stuff to be prettt ootb are going to use a DE with a more modern/polished look like Gnome or KDe, while people who care about a small footprint and minimalist will use a WM and wbatever programs they like.
Now that they are dropping gtk2, they are losing the only thing that made them somewhat unique.

>stock gnome on Arch
I have a couple of extensions but even on start up it's almost a gig.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-29 18-30-51.png (1920x1080, 1.94M)

I'd like to use a tiling wm, namely dwm, but i can't be bothered to configure media/volume keys or spend time setting up the title bar. With XFCE, all of that works out of the box and can easily bu customized through a nice GUI settings manager, all at the cost of slightly higher memory usage. I think the target is users who want all the functionality of a DE,with more customizability than gnome but without KDE's overwhelming settings GUI, but also want a memory footprint more akin to a bare WM

No, this is truly the Eldian man's desktop environment, built on freedom.

Attached: 1561848870562.png (379x371, 146K)

Here, a pic from a while back when i used gnome.711 megs with the file manager open and impatience and dash to dock.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-31 23-00-14.png (1366x768, 452K)

what the fuck are you doing, the fedora default gnome iso boots at 600MB

Isn't LXDE/LXQt better for that.
I have noticed that LXterminal and XFCEterminal, while both being vte3 skins, have vastly different file sizes.
Lxterm: 90KiB Download, 400KiB Install
XFCEterm: 320 KiB Download, 1800KiB Install
It's the same with a few other programs:
lxtask is half the size of xfce-taskmanager
ttlhunar is 6Megs while PcManFM is 1.5

I've used both and they are very similar in ram usage, LXQt ever so slightly lighter. As for terminal, i use termite, so i can't speak for the supplied terminal emulators and task managers. For me, it's easier to have a cohesive desktop with xfce since it uses GTK rather than Qt. Boths DEs are valid choices with similar goals of customizability/modularity and low resource usage.

>I use termite
You see, that's the part I don't really understand. Why use a DE(which is basically a WM + some programs) if you aren't using the programs it comes with. You might as well just install xfwm, xfce-panel and the rest of the xfce programs you use, and then complete it with your choice of terminal emulator etc.
Personally it would drive me crazy knowing that I had a program installed (in this case xfce-terminal), that I wasnt using.

SKREEEEE SKREEEEE SKREEEE SKREEEEE SKREEE SKREEE SKREEE SKREEEEE SKREEEEE SRKEEE SRKEEE SRKEE SKREEE SKRREE SRKEEEE SKREEE SKREEE SKREE

Attached: mosue.jpg (600x338, 19K)

That's what i do, i use most of the core xfce software(wm,panel,settings manager,thunar,etc), but i don't have most of the extra software(mousepad,xfce terminal) installed.

I consider the combination of the basic elements to be the DE.

Yeah, I'm thinking this low effort shitpost is based.

Attached: 1557459815973.gif (737x720, 728K)

The fact we can have more RAM doesn't mean bloat became irrelevant

hows that file picker thumnbail feature workin on chromium or firefox with the new xfce version

Attached: images[1].jpg (300x168, 7K)

what exactly are you guys talking about i know kde is like a type of distro but not a distro itself. xfce is aswell from what i see. what do you call these things and what do they change in the distro?

Desktop environments / window managers

>gnome is blo-

Attached: spark : bash — Konsole_001.png (958x709, 128K)

so this summer? that's fast.

>wlroots
Fuck off drew, you never used gnome

People who don't want to deal with GNOME's utter shit performance, no customizability, 1GB of RAM eaten and terrible UI. Or KDE's shit UI defaults and stability issues.
Xfce is much easier to use than GNOME, and doesn't feel as cluttered as KDE. It's just convenient and doesn't get in your way.
>people who care about a small footprint and minimalist will use a WM
Every DE has a WM.

It works.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-30_11-15-28.png (1366x768, 140K)

This user gets it.

Attached: 2019-04-08-142733_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.12M)

And lubuntu is switching to lxqt, this time for sure!

termite chads rise up

Attached: arch.png (927x352, 60K)

Again, fairly decent memory usage given GNOME's polish and features.

wallpaper plz

Here, i got it from some user going by 'kyle'.

Attached: wp.jpg (4000x2759, 1.65M)

tearfree

Tearfree is pretty much the final solution to tearing, but it enforces vsync everywhere, which can conflict with vsync in games, and brings high CPU usage for some reason. This is why i prefer compton, which can unredirect fullscreen opaque windows.