/sqt/ stupid questions thread

How do I easily switch my keyboard/mouse from PC to my laptop

I'm using a single monitor and sometimes I work from home and plug the laptop into the monitor and then have to go under the table and unplug the keyboard/mouse and plug them into the laptop

It's becoming a right hassle. Here I drew it. Does a switch for this purpose exist?

Attached: Untitled.png (760x413, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

symless.com/synergy
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/uninstall-registry-key
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink
asus.com/us/Laptops/X553MA/HelpDesk_Download/
networklessons.com/cisco/ccnp-route/tcp-window-size-scaling
downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25236/Intel-Trusted-Execution-Engine-Intel-TXE-Driver-for-DN2820FY-DE3815TY
pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI79228/MSI-GL63-GTX-1660-Ti-Gaming-Laptop-15-FHD-Intel-i7
dell.com/en-nz/shop/laptops-ultrabooks-notebooks/dell-g5-15/spd/g-series-15-5590-laptop/gn5d593nz
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just pay $20 or w.e the cost for this
symless.com/synergy

This or just buy the hardware switches that people have been using for decades

KVM Switch

KVM switch

usb switch

And a docking Station for your laptop so you dont have to plug that shit in all the time.

No OP text REEE

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>Buying headphones?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSC?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

KVM switch is usually 4x+ the cost of the software solution though

Should I use cats to generate random passwords?

Attached: 1558060264177.jpg (460x634, 47K)

get two 2m long male-to-female USB cables so you don't have to go under the table, always keep them plugged in the pc and leave the other ends on the table when you use laptop

Is there a way to secure an nginx directory with password only authentication (no username)?
Basic http auth only seems to work with username and password combinations.

How does internet speed adjustment work?
Say at a hypothetical home it has 10mbps coming in, where is that being determined and how is it enforced?
If that home were to download from something that could far and way exceed it, like Steam, what is stopping it and where?
What about upload?
Does either end inbalanced create issues (like Steam WANTS to move as much as possible but it's bottlenecked somewhere)?

There are about a million tutorials on "How To Make Any Application Portable xD". But how the hell do I make a portable application install on my system? I want it to appear on my Windows app list (some registry magic involved there), etc.

Your ISPs hardware is stopping you. Their hardware either drops packets -- a very low-tech way of enforcing bandwidth rate caps -- or queues them (using better hardware) to be sent at the ISP-approved rate.

shit, wat do? (cracked the CPU fan lock)
Is there any specific way to secure that motherfucker?
btw, sry for the crappy photo

Attached: IMG_20190629_132700.jpg (2560x1920, 1.03M)

is there any use to get 4k monitor for drawing?

What's your windows app list? The start menu? The uninstall list?

but on the plus side it usually doesn't come with a built in keylogger

Reeee google won’t send me a verification code to my 2FA storage account I made to dump trash. What should I do?

Start menu/uninstall list/etc.
Like a standard program. I don't want this program (which is only portable) to be portable. I want it in an "installed" format.

is the reason so you can set it as a default for something? that's the only thing I can think of for why you'd want to do that, and I think there's a workaround for it

Two qoustions.
1.What do I need to disable in wangblows 10 laptop to reduce disk usage?
2. Why does my usb 3.0 port work as 2.0 port after I installed pirated wangblows 8.1 on my other laptop. How do I fix it?

>Does either end inbalanced create issues (like Steam WANTS to move as much as possible but it's bottlenecked somewhere)?

Every data package has to be acknowledged by sending a small package back.
The uploading server (say, Steam) will send a couple of data packages and then waits for the other side to send a package back telling it the transfer was OK or not OK, only then will it send more data packages (or re-send the old ones if they weren't received).

So any slowdown along the route will make the uploading server spend more time waiting and less time sending data.

I keep getting captcha failures with Jow Forums x no java script captcha, wat do

Attached: ha7.png (250x290, 21K)

Installing doesn't do much.
You can put a shortcut into your start menu by just creating a shortcut there.
They are located under shell:programs or %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Put these into explorers navigation bar or press windows+r and enter it there.

To make it appear in the uninstall list add a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
The possibly values are here docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/uninstall-registry-key

Although, if you don't have a script to uninstall it, there's no point adding it, all it does is run the program that is supposed to clean up after itself. So you have to make your own here.

Portable programs usually save user config into their current directory, so symlink the config files to your %appdata% directory. You can create symlinks using mklink docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/mklink

>2. Why does my usb 3.0 port work as 2.0 port after I installed pirated wangblows 8.1 on my other laptop. How do I fix it?

You probably have to install the USB driver that came with your laptop (or better, download the latest version).

i don't have ipv6 enabled. is there any reason for me to?

No.

>USB driver that came with your laptop
Well that's not happening. As for downloading, I'm not sure what I should download.
asus.com/us/Laptops/X553MA/HelpDesk_Download/
Something from here, but I just don't know what.
Also, I would mention that under Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers I have:
>Generic USB Hub
>USB composite device
>USB Root Hub
>Intel (R) Pentium (R) processor N- and J- series / Intel (R) celeron (R) processor N- and J- series ehci USB - 0F34
And that's it, if it's relevant.

Is there a way to know this ram frequency from this picture alone?

Attached: FB_IMG_1561835911177.jpg (1137x640, 56K)

It's almost definitely 1600MHz

You want the Chipset drivers.

Well, go with chipset for starters. Is anything pulling up a warning icon in device manager?

Ok.
PCI Encryption/Decryption controller has that yellow exclamation.

You should've explained him concept of windowing

networklessons.com/cisco/ccnp-route/tcp-window-size-scaling

trying to reset my ip address in windows with ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. i get this when i try the last command:
An error occurred while renewing interface Npcap Loopback Adapter : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
what do?

Why did Cinema4D install some fucking INTEL REDISTRIBUTABLE shit on my AMD Ryzen computer?

Yep, 1600MHz

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-29-14-53-11-000_com.android.chrome.jpg (1080x773, 147K)

If you open its properties, what does it say under compatible id?

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&REV_0E
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_108000
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_1080
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_108000
PCI\CC_1080

downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25236/Intel-Trusted-Execution-Engine-Intel-TXE-Driver-for-DN2820FY-DE3815TY

Because they used intels C++ compiler.

disgusting, i uninstalled both Cinema4D and the intel botnet blob

thanks

It's the same libraries you get when you install Visual C++ 2012 or any other year, but Intels implementation of it.

Installing it now. But afaik it's for secure boot, not usb? chipset drivers didn't seem to help. could it be BIOS problem?

If you have a legacy usb setting enabled it might.

I'm trying to install Replicant on an old Samsung Note 2 with Heimdall. What am I doing wrong?

I think I may need to get root on the phone (developer mode and usb debugging are already on), but all the guides I've seen involve using Heimdall, so that would be a catch-22.

Attached: heimdall.png (939x311, 48K)

(lsusb detects the device, so that's not the issue.)

Whoops, I'm not sure if it was legacy but I did change one setting and now it seems to be fine. Thanks for the help.

If you're using Windows use Mouse Without Borders. Worked flawlessly for me so far.

I'm quite new to linux and I'm trying to install matlab on my lubuntu machine.
When I try to install it it prompts me that I don't have enough memory in tmp folder but I didn't really install anything on my computer, or do much else yet so as I see it it should be empty. What should I do? Can I move my temp folder somewhere, like to a larger disk, will that help? I couldn't find anything useful on google or youtube

Is there a speed difference between SATA 1-3 cables, or is the port the only thing that matters?

>1.What do I need to disable in wangblows 10 laptop to reduce disk usage?
To add to this. Is it because I use HDDs and not SSDs? I heard that windows 10 is taxing on them for some reason and I believe that it killed two or three of my HDDs on old laptop, in fact new laptop came in with wangblows 10 pre installed and even it has some severe spikes. Old laptop would sometimes freeze when windows decided to update itself and when I reinstalled windows 10 on it would often get to 100% disk usage (even when it was just fresh install) so that's why I ditched it for 8.1. I assume it's all bloat shit that does it - updates, telemetry, superfetch.

They use the same cables.

Thanks, I have an old SATA 2 cable laying around, and I didn't realize my Samsung QVO didn't come with one.

My ass hurts after sitting for anything about an hour. What do I do?

Attached: 1555540285943.jpg (480x360, 23K)

Use Barrier retard

can i test a server as a virtual machine first? like can still i connect to it that way

pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKMSI79228/MSI-GL63-GTX-1660-Ti-Gaming-Laptop-15-FHD-Intel-i7
Is this a good laptop for gaming? I know gaming laptops are a meme but I need to go down from a gtx 950 pc to a laptop so I might as well get a better card.

Attached: 1499676514039.jpg (600x338, 61K)

Well, if the pixel density is so high you can't even see any of them your lines will look cleaner and you might be able to pick out tiny errors you might miss or something.

So stand up every so often.

There are some cables that will fail to negotiate SATA 3 or whatever, but only very dodgy ones. The distinction is more important for things like drive caddy systems.

Is it bad to leave my computer speakers on 24/7? It's powered by USB to my computer. It has a bright green LED light that indicators whether or not it's on or off and the light doesn't go off when the computer sleeps.

dell.com/en-nz/shop/laptops-ultrabooks-notebooks/dell-g5-15/spd/g-series-15-5590-laptop/gn5d593nz
or this

You may be able to change the USB power settings in the BIOS. But the only USB powered speakers I know of were cheap pieces of shit that were quieter than my laptop speakers so it's probably no big loss. But I do turn external speakers off when I'm not using them. If nothing else, saves power.

installing linux right now and i want to learn bash, whats a good book to start with?

don't know why/how i linked to your post sry

pls help

whats the name of those programs that rice your desktop? like making it 3d and making all folders appears in 3d and organized by categories?

Attached: 1449491055118.jpg (272x292, 17K)

This might help if your issue is not enough RAM or something. Found it accidentally by searching for "is the linux tmp folder just your ram".
tps://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/tmpfs#Disable_automatic_mount

if you are overweight (>18 BMI) = lose weight
if you have hemorrhoid = seek medical treatment
if your chair sucks = buy better chair
if you don't want to buy new chair = experiment by folding a pillow as extra cushioning etc

I have an arch pc set up with a samba server with a hdd. Problem is I can't map the network drive in my roommate's laptop with windows 10 ltsc. It asks me the username and password, I give them and it still says "wrong password". Works fine on windows 7 and manjaro.
Tried the registry key, gpedit entry and the SMB 1.0 feature

BMI
user, healthy BMI is 20-25.

compiz

thanks, but what term should i look for in google if i want more programs like that? i tried googling desktop ricing but got nothing

You don't want to "map network drive", you want to "add network location." It shows up when you right click something on the left panel of the file explorer (I think it's My Computer.)

I need help with backup. How do I backup my stuff? On what should I be doing backups? Do I use online "cloud" services?
I lack a lot of knowledge about this topic but I know it's a requirement.

I used "map network drive" because that's what worked for me when I used windows 7 and found it was still there in 10.
Thank you, will try it tomorrow!

How/What's the best way to cast/stream to my TV? I just want it to mirror my monitor so I can play movies on my PC and have it show on my TV. How well would the graphical fidelity remain if my monitor is 1440p and my TV is 4k?

I could always grab a looong HDMI cable, but I'd rather not have it run across the room.

Attached: 1514257527638.jpg (600x836, 76K)

Is this the stupid questions thread?

Attached: 1549464892976.png (266x220, 48K)

If you're on windows, FreeFileSync lets you copy files over a network. Have your second drive in another room attached to a second PC. If you can afford it, it is also good to use cloud to back up, ideally encrypted. Two physically separated copies is the minimum. If it would kill you to lose the data, the gold standard is 3-2-1. Three copies (including your main), on two different kinds of solution (I.e. network vs clould), and one of them offline (no connection to the others that could allow malware or errors to spread automatically). I wouldn't back up your programs or OS, they're generally pretty easy to reinstall, just be aware that that might be necessary.

good free flac to mp3 converter for windows?

ffmpeg

You're a retard, ALWAYS quote.

Just buy some USB switch, they exist and are pretty cheap.

hello new best friends
i got an iphone 6s and its my first apel product
what i wanna do is make the phone useless in case of theft and my stuff unrecoverable
so whats the deal with encryption in iphones?
i dont use fingerprints, just a 4number pin and somewhere i read that you need a 6 letter pass for the encryption
what gives?
thx

Attached: 1561815748163.jpg (660x440, 14K)

Okay, thank you, I'll take a look at this.

So I finally got off win7 to win10 when I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago. I have my user account is admin and UAC is disabled.
Every time I try to copy/move a file to Program Files I get the warning/consent pop-up even though UAC is disabled & I'm using an admin acct and it's getting pretty annoying. Is there a local security policy setting that will disable these warnings that I haven't found it yet?

Enable UAC you retard.

Attached: drbetruger.jpg (323x316, 16K)

can i install gentoo with this?

Attached: chef.png (1200x630, 12K)

>book
No book, but read
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Is there a way to emulate or run Android in a virtual machine on an Android phone?
Or just run .apk files in some sort of container on Android.

island i think its called

is it a bad idea to learn two programming languages at the same time?

which languages do you recommend for a newbie?

Definitely Python 3. Learn it.

Any free client for LTO3 tapes (on Windows)?
I've found a really cheap offer for PCI-E LSI SCSI and LTO3 streamer.

C++ and Python 3

Ruby, Java, C