Are Android phones secure?

Please only answer if you have a good degree or experience working in tech (ricing your ThinkPad doesn't count).

My current phone is a redmi 4x and I'm getting to the stage in life where security is important. I've got 15 bitcorns, 15k GBP, nudes/degen crap on phone and obviously a hack would be far, far more damaging than the cost of a new phone.

Give it to me straight, is it worth buying a iPhone mainly for security/privacy purposes? I was planning on buying one anyway but would prefer to wait a few years until the redmi crapped out

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_gordonkelly_files_2019_05_Screenshot-2019-05-15-at-02.14.50-1-1200x8 (960x648, 574K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S69084544#p69085520
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No phone is secure

>Buying phone for security
Kek
If you actually cared for your security you wouldn't make an amateur move and ask in fucking Nchan

>Give it to me straight, is it worth buying a iPhone mainly for security/privacy purposes?
Only if you willingly and knowingly fall for Apple's FUD.
warosu.org/g/thread/S69084544#p69085520
Also:
>believing any OEM proprietary firmware is ever secure
>having an Android phone and being oblivious to custom ROMs and rooting, etc.

There's nothing secure. Hell I would argue your shit is quite the opposite. iPhone is far from secure and there's a lot of information on how they sell and do whatever the loving fuck they want with your data. It's all pure propaganda that I don't know why, in the year of our lord 2019, people still fucking believe. It's Apple, they're known to have these flaws perhaps even more often than some of the competition and people rely on it because "news said that the FBI" bullshit.

Best thing you can do is not store important shit on your smartphone or any cloud service period.

No phone is secure because they all contain a baseband processor that has full access to everything (camera, microphone, RAM, network, storage...)

buy samsung s9, s8 or note 9 and install lineage os and use it with orbot vpn and tor browser or icecat.

if you're interested in security maybe don't use a backdoor chinkphone retard. you don't even need to be thinking about iPhones right now when you have a bigger problem

two reasonable answers

an addendum is that the concern is not whether a phone is totally secure: it's not. but rather who is a phone vulnerable to? avoiding trouble from the NSA is going to be almost impossible, similarly for the chinese government on chinese devices i think. avoiding surveillance from apple will be hard because they have carefully built in holes everywhere. in this regard, android is most suitable because you can flash some phones to lineageos and disable GApps. there may be some leakage, but it is the best way to avoid OEM snooping. however your real concern is not avoiding OEM snooping, but avoiding the eyes of private individuals unrelated to the vendors. this actually makes lineageOS and the like less desirable, because rather than avoiding the backdoors google and the like place into the os, you want to avoid any exploits a third party might have on your phone. these exploits are mitigated by good software engineering and frequent security updates.
in conclusion, iphones suck, and so do androids, but if you buy from google, apple, samsung or other major brands that regularly push out security updates to your device, you will have the lowest risk of theft from your device or a leak of your nudes

>he thinks iPhones are secure

Microsoft and Google fans are so beaten down by these companies that they refuse to believe Apple provides security and privacy they say they do. They simply cannot fathom Apple not fucking them over the way Google and Microsoft and Amazon and the rest do daily.

OP, just look at how everyone in business and politics and culture all use iPhones, and Android is relegated to poor people and internet nerds.

An updated Android device from a mainstream manufacturer should be sufficiently secure for normal use.
Samsung Knox has been authorized for sensitive government information, so I would say it should be fine for your use case.

In what way Microsoft fails to provide security?

iPhones are a honeypot.

Attached: 1542435883437.png (693x807, 429K)

Microsoft is coming around now that the winds are shifting on privacy/security. But only a few months ago Microsoft was pushing Bing (ad tracking like Google), pushing ads built into Windows, re-enabling user tracking on Windows even after users disable tracking.

Now Microsoft is trying to be the non-Apple, private alternative to Google. Hope they keep up the good work!

You could buy a librem 5 with some of that bitcoin and that's one of the few things you're ever going to be able to actually buy with 'em. You yourself will be able to guarantee security on that phone.

Reminder that EVERY iPhone is a leaky piece of shit.

Attached: 1549539465539.png (810x999, 461K)

What phone does Edward Snowden use? Bet it's not fucking Android

Having ads and not having security are not the same thing

from the same article
>"Edward never uses an iPhone. He's got a simple phone," said the lawyer, according to reports.
so pretty much an old nokia or something

Microsoft is merely putting up a good facade of doing that at the moment. Windows 10 is just as spywarey as ever, they're just not pursing some of the highly visible things that piss people off anymore.
I believe it was with some hardware modifications. You know, gut the cameras and mics and use the headphone jack when you actually need to talk. Or at least, that's what some movie about him WANTED me to think. I've never met the guy and neither have you. Maybe he's not even real for all I know.

You have to realize that this board is infested with third-world kids who need to beg their parents for new toys, which is why they have a massive case of sour grapes about Apple products. Therefore it would literally rend their soul to admit that Apple cares about security far more than whatever chinkshit OEM they promote.

Consider the following:
1. Apple issues rapid security updates to devices as old as the iPhone 5s, which was released SIX YEARS AGO. Samscum, on the other hand, can't be arsed to support their flagships for more than three years (only the S8, S9 and S10 receive monthly updates right now).
2. iOS 0days are worth millions of dollars on the black market

The only truly secure Android device is the Google Pixel. But with that you're paying iPhone prices for just three years of support and dodgy hardware quality.

>buy high end android
>two OS version upgrades then stops to avoid slowdown due to higher systems requirements on newer OS versions
>monthly security updates for 5+ years and going

>buy iShit
>OS upgrades are tied to security updates
>each upgrade slows down iShit by 50% cumulatively
>iShit is an unusable shitheap by the end of 1 year

Attached: 1530673563280.png (1190x803, 385K)

Last summer a friend was complaining about her iPhone 6s plus being really sluggish and hot as hell. She had to leave her shit at one of them Apple certified stores over here just to see what was wrong. I checked what the last update by then could possibly do and bingo, complaints across the entire fucking board. They tell her some time later that they had to restore it to factory settings. It solved nothing after installing the same old bunch of apps everyone that uses social networks often has, no bullshit. Shit's just as sluggish. Can't do anything about it because she had the audacity to do something as simple as applying a fucking update.

Six years are useless if along the way you're gonna do your very best to make the phone a piece of shit though upgrades. An older phone doesn't need newer features as much as it would need security updates and stability. When your device is at risk by updating it there's something very wrong.

Iphone probably is more secure unless you do/use certain shit - but no phone IS secure.

You're a retard if you have 15 btc and are storing it on your phone instead of a hardware wallet.