Can't afford to upgrade

>can't afford to upgrade
>I'll tell everybody it sucks and I don't want to waste my money and raytracing a shit

Attached: d3a3886a30e979d374e003059efc5310.jpg (3840x2160, 365K)

>can afford to buy any card I want
>stick with an RX 580 because there's literally nothing worth playing

ray tracing is nice, but what novidia calls ray tracing is not ray tracing, it's still an approximation, which doesn't make it any different that any other fake light technique currently used in the industry and runs fine.

I still don't get how so many brokefags can tell people to buy their used 1080's and shit instead of a brand new RTX at the same price. RTX and non-RTX nvidia carts are equivalent in price/performance but out of date brokefucks run around screaming "get the old outdated shit just because". I can see if you advice someone not to sidegrade but if someone's going to upgrade no matter what from a 1050 or whatever might as well take the leap and get an RTX version.

>same price
nobody has ever recommended a 1080 over a 2000-series card for the same price. Nice strawman though.

I know you crafted this to look like a non-bait post but I can tell it is.

Realistically - you don't really need anything more than that.

Is ray tracing still viable with 2080?

was it the pixels or your previous experiance?

It's viable with a 2080. Quake II is an example of that. If they can turn a twenty year old game to look like it came out today, then developers today should be able to make games now that look like they're from 2040. If they don't it's because they don't know what they're doing.

yes modern VR headsets have real RTX built in already, oh nevermind I thought you meant IN 2080

I own a 2080.

Rayrtracing is still a Shit function in 2019.

Give it 5 years and then we will talk.

There are still not enough RT games to justify this upgrade. I'd rather wait and scrounge up for PS5/AMD DXR cards/3rd gen of this shit.

Raytracing adds nothing to the quality, the only thing that matters is textures and polygons..

Ray tracing truly is the next big thing for image quality when done correctly. RTX is not it and the performance hit remains enormous (to the point real tine is still not viable on a 20+ year old technology).

All these faggots who say "raytracing is a meme and the difference in effects isn't worth it" drop an extra $200 on Intel for that 10 fps that nobody even sees.

5 years from now, people will be arguing over cherry picked benchmarks where half the AAA games use Nvidia Rtx (TM) instead of the opengl version

This is me but I can't afford

well if you could afford and had the choice of buying a 1080 or a 2070 (the 2070 is slightly better) would you buy the outdated old garbage obsolete 1080 JUST BECAUSE the 2070 has RTX in the name?. Keep in mind the 2070 can do anything the 1080 can do but better.

You can't buy a 1080 new for reasonable price. Only 1080s people are buying are used and you can get them for like 320

I would probably wait for next Nvidia 7nm if I could buy anything

If someone told you they were going to shoot you in the head unless you chose between a 1080 or a 2070, what would you do?.

Shoot them first

damn. People hate rtx cards this much.

I have a gtx 1080 and can run most games on max at 1080p but my cpu is needing to be replaced soon..so a new pc would be probably 2-3k atleast, not really rich enough to be thinking about spending 4k but having saved up that little extra does take some time because there are other important things to save for..I just can't see it being a good idea quite yet but if I had more financial security I would probably replace my current setup with an rtx machine just to have it..I may play a couple new games.

I can afford to upgrade OP, but I dont like being taken advantage by nvidia and will stick with me current card for as long as I can.

not a fan of the rtx cards but i had this dilemma and went with the 2070

Well, let me ask you how come you're not a fan?. If it was the same exact card from Nvidia only called the GTX 2070 would you like it?.

because it's a limited use technology they're charging a premium for

i got mine from someone who tossed it because he found 2 1080tis second hand

I still don't get it. How are they charging a premium?. The 2070 which is equivalent to a 1080 are around the same price. They aren't charging anything extra just for it being capable of raytracing.

premium comparing to similarly performing cards

i'm discounting the raytracing because it hasn't seen any significant adoption

enjoy your ancient 1080p

>can't afford to upgrade
Dude I just spent 2 thousand on actual upgrades, getting an RTX card would be waste of money for essentially sideways movement since I already got the performance I want

Attached: .png (611x686, 202K)

>actual upgrades

List them

>inb4 I won't reveal my personal information/business to strangers on the internet

i wonder if this is all a ruse to get intel to release their dedicated graphics card at a stupid high price then nvidia and amd drastically cut their prices

Do we know yet how much of an improvement 2080super is over 2080?

>MAXIMUM OVERBAIT ENGAGED

So a 2600 is the same performance of a 1080?

Based

2070 is the equivalent only it's a teeny bit better

>buy GTX 1060 in 2016
>it still is good today

I envy those who had the foresight to get a 980/980 Ti in 2014

1060 3gb on a amd fx8350, I'm gonna upgrade everything else then see where my graphics card actually sits without CPU being an issue in the slightest. I'm a little disappointed in how Navi sounds but it'll be awhile and I'll let bench marks when I'm ready to upgrade decide for me if it's a good idea to switch back to full amd build this time around.

Here's the shit though. If you had the option of getting a free upgrade. Choice of a 1080 or a 2070 (THEY PERFORM THE SAME), which one would you get?.

Ray tracing isn't gonna be relevant for another 2-3 generations. Unless you enjoy having your framerate go from 100 --> 30 by turning it on

They put Quake II RTX out to demonstrate this. It makes like full use of RTX and 2070 isn't getting 30 fps. It gets like 60-70. The people getting 30 don't know what the fuck they're going.

>RTX 2070
>60 fps on 22 year old game
>ray tracing isn't that bad!

lel

The only thing in Quake 2 RTX that's path traced is the BSP environments not the characters, or the guns.

This. It's cool tech but it wasn't ready for mainstream. This might make people progress the tech faster but the performance degradation even in the 3 modern games that don't even fully utilize the tech isn't worth it.

The only people who upgrade when they don't need to are shills or underage using daddy's credit card. Also you don't need a RTX to raytrace. It amazes me how many people think ray tracing is something new and only done via the RTX since its come out. A common theme among /v/ shills.

Attached: cat2.jpg (572x621, 104K)

2070 probably because I'd enjoy the novelty of faux Ray tracing every now and then when frames aren't of the utmost importance. Unless it was a really good deal I see no reason to consider a 1080 especially when you know most of them used are probably half dead due to mining anyway.

There's going to be no improvement towards real full Ray tracing unless it's supported in some way or another financially by consumers and sad as that is it's a necessary evil Nvidia can just charge what they want right now because they're the only ones with their toes in the water.

Not him, but the 2070 would have been the smart choice if only because you can't find any new 1080s for the same price.

ok. Let me clear this up because apparently it still needs to be cleared up because Jow Forums is still confused by the simplest fucking question.

If someone came up to you and said I WILL GIVE YOU A BRAND NEW 1080 or a BRAND NEW 2070, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FINDING A NEW ONE. IT'S NOT USED AND ABUSED BY MINER'S. IT'S BRAND NEW. Which one do you want?.

2070 because it at least is something to dick around with even if the rtx tech is useless to daily with imo.

ok ok. That's exactly the kind of logic that makes sense. To anyone who is going to upgrade anyways why not just upgrade the new shit to mess with and experiment with.

btw, I actually am playing Quake II RTX. I purchased Quake II months ago on Steam and ran it once and saw how shitty it looked and I was like eww. I couldn't do it. But I started playing RTX version a couple days ago and really makes it playable to me the way it looks with RTX.

This but a 1070TI which is still overkill for X3

Quake II RTX doesnt look that good

If they didn't charge a premium, the 2070 would be faster at the same price or as fast as a lower price, which it isn't. If you bought a 1080 in 2016, spending the same amount today nets you little, if any performance improvement, and a bunch of meme cores that are barely used, and cut your framerates in half when they are.

The guns reflect everything, and glass shows full scene reflections, shadows are path traced. Pretty much all lighting is path traced.

>2070 equivalent to a 1080
nice improvement

fpbp
we have $400k in the bank and i honestly cannot justify ditching my 980TI Sli setup

Is it really that hard to save up every few years and buy a new card? Are you guys living out of a box?

>costs almost double of a 1080Ti
>performance is barely 50% higher
the RTX 2080Ti is pure distilled shite and anyone who says otherwise is an egregious dick sucking faggot.

30-40% within 70fps range at 4k is a big performance jump
it should cost no more than $800 though.

Never understood this obsession about cards being used for mining. You. Can't. Tell. No one can. Changing the BIOS isn't difficult either.

>30-40% within 70fps range at 4k is a big performance jump
not as big as the performance jump from Maxlel to Pascal. And you're right about the $800 price range. Would've been way more reasonable.

Are you retarded? They hiked the prices by 100 dollars this gen and straight up doubled the price of 80ti.

Realistically you can buy a VR headset that requires a minimum of two GTX 1080's to run.

>still playing games 2019

Attached: 1381621913587.jpg (256x333, 28K)