When the hell did RGB become a thing? RGB fans RGB mice RGB headphones. Why is such a gimmick infesting the PC market?

When the hell did RGB become a thing? RGB fans RGB mice RGB headphones. Why is such a gimmick infesting the PC market?

Attached: 1552743485884.gif (350x409, 437K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_element#List
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty light is pretty

-moth

Look at cars over the last 30 years, this was to be expected.
This isn't even anything new, look at home micros, not even PCs from the 80's and 90's that had "tuning" like stickers and neon lights on them.

it was a hell of a surprise to me when i stopped looking at pc hardware for 5 years to discover everything is rbg and tempered glass.

The 14 years old me 10 years ago would sure as fuck love one of those.

When innovation dies down, companies how to come up with new ways to attract consumers.

>clean my PC with a can of air
>discover I have fuckhuge red RGBs

Attached: 1446970839127.jpg (255x220, 7K)

beautiful lights uwu

>When the hell did RGB become a thing?

When they voted for a nigger

Attached: 0509dbf9-3b13-4a35-8412-edcc2ae81633.jpg (970x546, 84K)

people like shiny things. Like, why does gold even have value apart from being a shiny metal

It's rare

So is RGB and tempered glass just going to be a phase, like neon lights and big boxy buildings?

because it's durable (unlike grain), chemically non-reactive (unlike other naturally occurring metals), rare (unlike wood), and easily transported (unlike Micronesian boulders)
stupid middle-schooler

Zoomers are the main market now, get used to it and make fun of it.

Attached: It_knows.png (157x150, 9K)

yeah, those are valid points, but a normie really doesnt care, An example of this would be the inkas or other old cultures, this guys literally liked gold and silver because it is shiny, they didnt know about its other properties. Maybe there is something inside us that makes us like shiny things.

I don't seek it out (the blue power light bugs me on my computer if i suspend it overnight in a dark room) but I got a used keyboard for cheap that has 4 row one color backlighting for the keys, and it has actually been kinda nice in the dark and not too distracting.

I don't like the rainbow faggy shit but i can appreciate a normal back light. preferably white light or soft yellow.

holy shit are you all idiots? before RGB you had to buy the model with the color you wanted and now, instead of making 3 or 4 models with some popular colors, they only have to make one model and everyone can have whatever color they want. the rainbow animations are just for marketing you absolute morons. if you don't want rainbow animations and only want a solid color, then fucking set it to whatever you want.

it always was a thing, we just moved from 90s rave lights to 2010 ravelights

Attached: lights.png (404x655, 639K)

Because the edgy black/red colour scheme is overplayed, and making custom static-colour parts doesn't work. But RGB can make a system ANY colour.

>implying flashy retard pcs were ever not in style
throwback to the early 2000's with cold cathodes and UV reactive everything
fuck, if people had been smart enough to know that aluminum and blue acryllic looked gross i guarantee tempered glass cases wouldve been more popular 2 decades ago

Attached: IMG_3820.JPG.f57735bbcdb3df00b0830fd5562ca934.jpg (4032x3024, 1003K)

Good point my dude

The only RGB I can tolerate is just a backlight on my keyboard and status LED's on a mouse. They're useful for profile use and at least with my keyboard it's decent enough in low light. RGB bias lighting is fine for monitors too desu.

I don't want RGB on my GPU, CPU cooler, RAM, HDD, case or fans though. I feel like the market went too far with some of this.

Exactamundo.

If you don't like it you can turn them off.

Can be an issue for parts with large translucent diffusers, but then why not just buy RGB-less parts?

Attached: 48134552.jpg (952x1245, 178K)

because it raises the prices for what is a pointless feature. many mid- high end components have RGB now adding to the cost resulting in less units being non RGB and cheaper.

Oooh shiny

Tempered glass should be advantageous for inventing the easy removal side panel. Even if it dies off, we now owe them for putting the screws in frond, not on the back.

dude. Gaming PCs are single-handedly keeping the DIY PC market. Other use-cases fall way back on the line. If you wanted prebuilt blandness, buy a prebuilt.

RGB lights have been associated with higher quality hardware
Do you see multicolor lighting on some desk hockey's cheapo keyboard? No, you see it on a Razer kbd. People are willing to pay more for RGB because RGB, to them at least, signals better devices
As for tempered glass, it just looks nice

rgb components are never the best in their category. usually if you want say for example rgb fans, you have to take a huge performance downgrade.

whenever a normie sees my pc, they see the RGB and are like waow, das kool.

and that's really it. i don't go full rgb, just a few pieces that came with it and a set of that vengeance ram. rgb fans are retarded. i like being able to see into my pc behind the tinted glass clearly. the shifting colors on the RAM are honestly quite mesmerizing as well, great to stare at after a long day if you're just tired.

and it makes a lot of money which isn't such a bad thing in this instance.

>rgb psu
wow

also why would you ever top mount a PSU?

Have sex

When leds became cheap enough and more practical, namely being small enough. My first PC had two red cathode lights flanking the side window on the interior, at the time, I was jealous of the guys running UV lights and reactive coolant in their water cooled systems. Continued UV exposure fucked all the plastic bits and tubing in the case, though, and all of those guys adopted rgb leds as they got more common.

>When the hell did RGB become a thing?
I saw them as early as 2004

RGB's are for children, just like video games.
Which is why gayming pc's are filled with RGB parts and keyboard to match.

Because there aren't any RGB-less parts, at least for some things like motherboards. It is literally not possible to buy a high-end motherboard that's just standard green.

Good. Hope gaming PCs die so we can all just start building home servers, as it was meant to be.

what the fuck are you talking about?

Go and try to find a high-end motherboard without any RGB.

younger Yennials and older Zoomers have bought into the RGB hype which is why nearly all high end gaming hardware offers RGB. Cases like pic related will make a comback once they realize the beauty of a plain case.

Attached: ds6.jpg (450x450, 20K)

you mean a 3 pin rgb header? I assure you that doesn't drive up the price

>When the hell did RGB become a thing? RGB fans RGB mice RGB headphones. Why is such a gimmick infesting the PC market?
I think the term you are looking for is "Neon Gay"

Don't much care about the price. I would actually pay more to get a green PCB with none of the garbage on it. I don't want to support the practice in any way.

What a boring fucking box.

I still remember when my PSU in the 90s had a blue LED cooling fan that made everything glow inside blue in my shitty beige eMachines tower.

>red RGBs
so Rs?

Boring is better than busy, over styled, ZOOM ZOOMY abominations.

Attached: COUGAR-Conquer.jpg (1280x960, 81K)

I'll bet you that cougar case has better thermals then your black box.

theres plenty of shit you cant turn off
I want my room to be pitch black when I sleep but thats not possible unless I turn it all off at the powerpoint

Your picture answers your question

I member seeing those in 2003

My gameboy advance looked like that.

Attached: likethis.jpg (800x450, 76K)

I actually found a bee carcass in one of my case fans the other day. Is the blue LED light close enough to UV light for them to find it that tantalizing?

... because that was ATX?
Is this a joke im missing?

it really is a retarded zoomer invention that needs to eliminated

Looks swag, but it's expensive as hell.

don't you mean "hella expensive", zoomer?

>he doesn't like RGBs

Remember when you all fucking bought single color fans or light strips. That's why. They don't wanna do one color per fan. Pretty much "Fuck you, do it yourselves"

What case?

I'm waiting for the sleeper meme to happen. Every zoomer will start building sleeper PCs

Idk but I want the trend to die so badly

imagine how much extra money you've spent because these stupid companies don't make enthusiast products without this stuff anymore

the market has shrunk so much for decent gear that isn't festooned with all this bullshit

Attached: GAYMAN_CHAIR.jpg (960x360, 67K)

>imagine how much extra money you've spent because these stupid companies don't make enthusiast products without this stuff anymore
The only thing you can't buy without RGB is motherboards. And the cost to add a couple RGB strips to them is inconsequential

It's just like 15 years ago, except you can change the color of the light now.

The most retarded part of current PC modding trends isn't RGB, it's glass fronts with awful airflow, and vertical GPUs that sit right up against the side window.

Attached: 2004_mod_3.jpg (1280x960, 182K)

gold is not rare
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare-earth_element#List

ha, imagine wasting money on glowing chair development instead of affordable ventilated chair like you have in car, oh wait, you also get rgb lightning in 10k cars while ventilated seats are like 50k+

>Custom cars are filled with RGB and Neon
>enthusiasts are okay with it.
>Gaming PC's are filled with RGB.
>WAHHHH MUH PUKE GREEN PCB

>The only thing you can't buy without RGB is motherboards. And the cost to add a couple RGB strips to them is inconsequential

The very top end of stuff often lacks RGB, thankfully- like the Z390 DARK from EVGA.

My problem with RGB is that all of these different vendors have their own stupid standards for it and implement it with shitty software instead of just coming together and deciding a standard for each component and contributing to the same codebase for light control.

If that were actually a thing we could actually do stuff like change colors with temperature increase, use lighting for notifications, etc.

>thankfully
Because it's not like you can just turn off the lights in BIOS, right?

>My problem with RGB is that all of these different vendors have their own stupid standards for it and implement it with shitty software instead of just coming together and deciding a standard for each component and contributing to the same codebase for light control.
This is my actual gripe with RGB these days. Half a dozen different software interfaces, several different connectors, in a lot of cases you some sorta weird control unit, it's not guaranteed that one RGB thing will work with another RGB thing, basically you have to commit to one standard, usually the one your motherboard provides.

Put a bit of red electrical tape over the blue light.

Are people not away that they can unplug the power LED on the motherboard?

back in my day *cracks monster can* we would buy our lights separate and not have to pay for extra things that we didn't use
>siiiiiip

I have a Philips Hue light setup, ironically. I've written software that lets me know when my servers are having issues and the lights glow red when there's a problem or sev-1 ticket. It wasn't even hard, there's APIs for IFTTT and tons of libraries available.

Why is it so difficult for these companies to just decide on an OpenRGB standard and comply to it and handle their implementation of the hardware only?

Haha I'm so SMART!!!
I know how to bend what people say on anonymous forums to look smarter!!
Fuck you, you literal retard, you know that gold is much rarer than many metals, and that it's rare enough that it's not going to suddenly increase in volume while it's common enough that the average person knows what gold is and what it looks like
Ask anyone on the street what color Promethium or fagnesium is, they won't know

Attached: 1547791193649.jpg (480x677, 65K)

RGB is so fucking ugly.

An excuse to charge a premium. Have you seen intel fanboys? They'll eat up shit no problem. Considering they're the majority of pc users, it's no surprise selling rgb to them makes sense.

RGB keyboards and mice are alright. Everything else is a meme. Why the fuck do you need RGB lights inside a computer case. And why do all cases have a shitty window on them?

Yeah, because it's retarded

Because adhd colors

You idiots are all on Jow Forums and don’t know gold is used to make processors?
Kill yourselves. All of you.

/thread

Bias lighting to hide the IPS glow and to turn grey into a somewhat believable black in ideal circumstances.
The monitor market is absolutely pathetic.

Getting rgb case is like getting shoes with cool picture on soles

It's a gay rainbow colored world now.

Attached: rainbow.png (1316x516, 95K)

You're probably just dumb. I have lighting on my keyboard, motherboard, graphics card and case, and every single one can be turned off with the click of a mouse or push of a button.

It's the Phanteks Evolv X.

is this spogebob

This x1000. Holy fuck.
You like green? Great go all green.
You want red? Make it a fucking bloodbath.
Rainbow isn't really utilized by owners except in marketing it to them

but muh Jow Forums contrarianism.

>because it raises the prices for what is a pointless feature. many mid- high end components have RGB now adding to the cost resulting in less units being non RGB and cheaper.
/thread

RGB LED lighting is for loser. Cool people put neon tubes or EL wire in their PCs for lighting.

Because the kind of people buying hardware want it. Jow Forums is an outlier here because they just use old ThinkPads instead of building PCs.

Attached: YUM.jpg (1280x720, 115K)

Attached: 5c7.gif (480x360, 458K)

RGB have low level access and can be vulnerable to attacks.

Why the fuck do you need LEDs on your keyboard or mouse?

But why do people want coloured lights in the first place?

>game consoles now typically have more tasteful and sophisticated designs than PCs
How did we get to this point?

Can we please start using the term RGBTQ+

Attached: a ship needs its captain.jpg (2048x1547, 532K)

>now

Attached: 480px-PS2-Fat-Console-Set-2__00088.1497899570.1280.1280.jpg (480x599, 29K)