Raspberry Pi 4

Is it worth it?

Attached: [email protected] (1166x682, 845K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.pine64.org/?product=rock64-media-board-computer
openbsd.org/arm64.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only if you get the 4gb RAM version. And then it might be worth waiting for the supposed 8Gb version to come out (Raspberry Pi 4B+). Since everyone was 'expecting' it to come out in 2020, it probably will be out on the original release schedule.

I did buy one. Things I immediately hate:
Fucking dumb micro ports. New cords or new adapters. Doesn't even match up with the extra shit I bought for the Zero. Some Kabal is forcing the company to make consumers buy cables. Jews.

CPU gets hot. I not only put a heat sink on it, but bought an acrylic case with top-fan. The only one out right now was a case that was a "Stackable" advertized , but this made all sides "open" so there isn't any pre-cut side-port holes. As of right now, there really are only 2-3 case options. The enclosed Pi case which I also bought trapped in too much heat, it idled at 70C in the box with a heatsink.

Everything else about it is tits awesome.

waiting for mine, they solved the ethernet-usb bottleneck present on all other rpis that rendered them unsuitable for almost everithing. Interestingly they also added better support for video enconding/decoding, a field where the pi is being extensively used now.

it seems to be the first model you can use as desktop but heatsink is needed, like on the 3b

Attached: cL58e.png (1504x799, 63K)

>quad-core A72 (ARMv8-A) 64-bit @ 1.5GHz
>idles @70C (158F)

JFC

Attached: 1513922885221.jpg (736x1028, 82K)

I would have rather seen A73 cores.
A72 is Meltdown vulnerable, A73 isn't.

Plus, A73 is just a leaner, more efficient core.

What happens if I don't add a heatsink and just let it run at 70C?

Odroid N2 uses 4xA73 cores and 2xA53 cores

>no m.2
dropped

at 85ºC it downscales to 1ghz to cool down

at idle, nothing
Yes, basically if you do something for a little bit like watch youtube, it will throttle unless you do something about the heat. Or if you're in a cold room during winter it probably wont matter.

Performance and stability will quickly decline.

Attached: 139204514712.jpg (3270x3162, 1.17M)

seems a bit overpowered for a microcontroller.
but the real answer is it's a poorly documented nonfree piece of shit to move broadshit chips that don't sell and to look charitable for pr.

RPi and the foundation is gay as fuck.

>no pcie x16
dropped

>seems a bit overpowered for a microcontroller.
It's NOT a microcontroller.

how do you figure retard? it even has a shitty uart and some gpios. it can microcontrol all sorts of shit.

idiot.
You can attach a microcontroller board to it though, so maybe you're just confused

Microcontroller capabilities != Hurr it’s just a microcontroller!!1

Idiot

YES! Please tell me you can finally make a reliable NAS pi

>how do you figure retard?
Because it uses a microprocessor instead of a microcontroller.

oh no it's not a cortex-m but a fullblown underwhelming cortex-a series SoC that's only useful for running linux garbage and doing toy microcontroller projects. it's definitely not a microntroller. no sir.

retard, what dumb semantics are you even arguing? it's all just bone dry simple IO and some IC that you can generally program at the end of the day. I'm not sure what fucking point you're making saying a microprocessor and a microcontroller are somehow mutually exclusive or even different.

Please educate yourself as to what a microcontroller is. The world is laughing at you, brainlet.

>'m not sure what fucking point you're making saying a microprocessor and a microcontroller are somehow mutually exclusive or even different.
They are different. They can be incorporated together, but that isn't the case with Pi.

With your logic, a smartphone is a microcontroller if it has GPIO and UART. Are you this dumb?

I would have no use for it, even as Pi-Hole since my router does that already.

I don't see why I couldn't use a smartphone as a microcontroller at all nor why the distinction is important. There is no value in using the pi for anything other than controlling something. the same isn't really the case for a smartphone.

Nobody said you couldn’t, the point is the device is not suddenly something totally different because it can perform a function. It is the same device, but now has that additional functionality. A Pi is a single board computer utilizing an ARM CPU that, in addition, has the ability to do functions similar to a microcontroller as a feature.

By your logic, a smartphone is no longer a smartphone if it has GPIO and UART; its just a microcontroller. This is literally what you’re saying.

>inb4 backpedaling

>arguing with holes

Why bother?

no, I'm not. I'm saying rpi's are underwhelming pieces of shit that's value is in being a babbys first microcontroller that happens to conveniently provides a full blown "just works" runtime.
it's pretty smal, low cost and provides all the basic IO features to makes it a microcontroller. you faggots can argue all you want about how a microcontroller has to be some autismal piece of shit atmel or how it needs to be programmed by flashing a eeprom all you want, but I really don't care for putting such an oddly specific meaning to such a moronically broad word as microcontroller.

Will it stream 4K movies and work as a decent server so I can use plex

I'll be finding out July 3rd when I get mine.

>rpi's are underwhelming pieces of shit
>seems a bit overpowered for a microcontroller.
Can you make up your mind?

>will a $35 hobby board with worse specs than my ten-year old netbook stream 4k and run Plex

Attached: 1551051104059.jpg (640x829, 86K)

If you mean “stream” as in allow players to access media through Plex over the network, sure; even the Pi 1 can do that, given the proper bandwidth.

If you mean transcode to connected Plex clients, then no. The CPU is nowhere near powerful enough to transcode content on the fly, especially 4K content.

If you’re playing over the local network and not transcoding, all the Pi is doing is providing access to the file, and the client decodes it by whatever means it has, so there is little power needed for it. You’ve been able to do simple sharing like this ever since the original Pi with Plex. Most Plex builds have transcoding disabled for ARM devices on purpose so you dont attempt it and cry when it’s too slow.

how'd you buy one if they ship august 1st?

a microcontroler is a computer on a single chip, the rasberry pie has ram as a separate component from the processor, so it is not a microcontroller.

It can decode 4k and it can encode 1080p30, from what I can tell.

So it really depends on how exactly you want to use it.

I'm not going to waste time arguing about such a moronic semantic, moron. how the processor in either system ends up loading shit into a register and then doing something meaningful with it and storing it somewhere else is way to specific.

>I'm not going to waste time arguing about such a moronic semantic
You already did though?

If you don’t want to waste time arguing, then why are you here? Don’t pretend you have something better to do, single digit IQ brainlet.

>t. Raspberry Pi/Broadcom marketing department

I have the friendly arm M4 (RK3399)
which is a 2.0 ghz dual core A72 and quad core A53 at 1.5ghz
I like the 2 beefy cores, it really helps when browsing

> t. Assblasted Optilet

l
m
a
o

Even a shit-tier J1800 is like 4x as fast as a pi and has sata

these things are worthless for what they've turned them into

give me one standard hdmi 2.1 or DP, dual gigabit lan and a couple SATA3 ports

you shouldn't need more than two USB3 on something like this

Can it run Arm?
Can you play minecraft on it?
Can i play Quake on it?

No, it can’t run ARM. Sorry friend, you’re out of luck with this one.

Dang, maybe 4B might have Arm.

I also like the fact the N2s GPU is the Mali G52, apparently it's only the second GPU released using the Bifrost architecture

Yea I was looking at the N2, it's quite a bit bigger (physically) so it should be better as it is

Their most popular usecases are emulation-boxes and mediacenters, so the extra USB ports are needed (external HDDs, game controllers, mice, keyboards, etc.).
I would prefer the configuration you mentioned as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they offer more configs in the future (based on success, of course).

>70C
if you're putting it under load, try 90C

>better support for video enconding/decoding
>no vp9 support
>4K
I don't see the A72 decoding vp9 at 4k.

>how'd you buy one if they ship august 1st?

I don't know what the online stock looks like, but the Microcenter near me has them in stock now.

is there a single thing this does that a second hand or spare computer can't do better?

Seems like such a pointless product given it's $50 plus a case and any cables/adapters you'll need.

damn, I got one 8 hours away hmm

It's small. That's about it.

>is there a single thing this does that a second hand or spare computer can't do better?
1) smaller
2) draws less power
3) has GPIO ports
4) can be powered solely by PoE if you want

I mean, it really depends on what you're trying to do.

My use case is as a seedbox, it's awesome for that. I have one hooked to an old 1TB drive that torrents my shit while my main box (1200w, SLI, 125w TDP CPU) is off.

I have a simple script that deletes whatever torrents+files that I've already rsync'd over that also has the least leechers and largest file size. I think it pulls like 9w at load. I spent $30 because I got it used, I assume it'll have paid for itself in terms of power over the course of a year or so.

Cheap low profile nas and seedbox.

if your isp doesn't fuck you like mine do, you can also run a ttrss or freshrss server.

What's a good setup for a rpi4 NAS?

Would you just hook up a 4x sata hub through one USB port and call it a day?

>can be powered solely by PoE if you want

is this a built in feature? or do I have to buy something?

You have to buy a PoE hat which is like $20.

When are they going to put two full speed gigabit nics on these so they can be low cost pfsense boards?

Hi raspberry pi team

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 11.50.30 PM.png (1188x590, 169K)

I laugh at you, poorfags. Just buy a real computer.

This looks interesting
store.pine64.org/?product=rock64-media-board-computer

I just found it because I was looking at the OpenBSD ARM page openbsd.org/arm64.html and it was mentioned as supported. Not quite as fast as rpi4 with a Cortex A53 quad like rpi3, but not vulnerable to meltdown and spectre.

>2) draws less power
Since it's on a 22nm node it's not completely true.
The latest Celeron NUC has an equal power draw at idle. And that's with dual channel ram and an SSD.
The J5005 NUC only consumes 1.3W more at idle, which is so insignificant that you won't notice a difference on your bill even with Danish energy prices.
Power draw at load is similar too.

Intel CPU shortages have made those NUCs a lot less attractive though. In the past you could get the J5005 NUC for 90 dollars during black friday. Now it's a lot more expensive.

Right now the software support of the rpi4 is complete shit and it won't even run youtube properly.
I'm sure it will get proper software support + a proper 64 bit OS but it will take some weeks or months.

>I spent $30 because I got it used
Yea, that's an ok price.

Are Spectre and Meltdown even issues for the average consumer?

>Are Spectre and Meltdown even issues for the average consumer?
Who the fuck cares, just buy pozzed shit.

If you need something to sit in a drawer to gather dust the accept no substitute.

>they kept the composite video out

I'm getting one.

Attached: full of fire.jpg (1396x1080, 143K)

>but not vulnerable to meltdown and spectre.
it's not vulnerable to meltdown
spectre is pretty much for any high performance cores out there, regardless of arch, and every decent OS got mitigations against those.

>they solved the ethernet-usb bottleneck

unless someone provides a real third party benchmark i wont believe jack shit from them

>The latest Celeron NUC
I'm comparing the raspberry pi to a second hand or spare computer.

I'm sure a $200 NUC can beat the performance of a raspberry pi, but that's not exactly a fair comparison.

oh that's unfortunate

wow, fucking dropped

why can't people just build things without being political faggots about everything?

It's not a 200 dollar NUC though.
Unless CPU shortages have caused the prices to increase that much.
More like 70 dollars 18 months ago or so.

But after checking on Newegg the prices have become quite bad. Even on Aliexpress.

That sucks, I guess.

is that not DC power?

This is exactly why I won't buy any new products from them. I'll buy a used rpi 4 eventually so they don't get my money.

Thanks but I will stick with my Odroid N2

all i want to know is how much of an improvement it makes for emulation.

So you have to buy a cooler for it? At what point are they going to become just slightly smaller desktop PCs?

Is this your first raspberry you’ve seen? They’ve had composite video and audio out via 3.5mm 4-pole for years now.

>it can microcontrol all sorts of shit
As can my old PC controlling a CNC lathe via the parallel port (GPIO!).

it's not a 200$ nuc... until you count everything.
sadly it went the same way the odroid went.
these computers are only interesting if they cost 50 bucks all inclusive. otherwise, there's better stuff on the second hand market.

>hese computers are only interesting if they cost 50 bucks all inclusive.
And the Pi doesn't do that either.

>blocks your path

Attached: jetson-nano-family-press-image-hd.jpg (1920x1080, 309K)

Can't even play 360p at full screen without stuttering and tearing. Hard pass on this one.

I theorise the throttling in youtube is due to one key thing: The Dektop environment and the audio driver.
I manually installed Pixel dektop via the retropie rasbian buster image floating around (which doesn't work, but sends you straight to the CLI, so you can run the RetroPie-Setup script and install Pixel from there and just launch it with startx)
I installed and fixed the Pulseaudio driver too.
So I can quite happily play youtube vids in 1080p now.

Biggest issues with the jetson nano is the hardware is very heavily cutdown Switch/nvidia shield TV Tegra X1. But it still costs quite a lot vs the Pi 4 too. Double.
But I don't see it being 2x as good. Like 1.5x at best.

bet this so yboy crap has hardware backdoors

Attached: heatsink.jpg (700x525, 51K)

>why can't people just build things without being political faggots about everything?
They either get paid/donated to for them to do it or they actually swallowed the propaganda pill willingly.

If you need to ask: no.

>But I don't see it being 2x as good. Like 1.5x at best.
The Nano's GPU is (way) more than twice as strong as the Pi4s. It will "happily" play gamecube games at 75% speed. Which is an impossibility for the Pi4 as the Odroid N2 doesn't even manage 10 fps.
The Nano also has better software/OS support.
Plus it comes with a nice heatsink.

The CPU of the Pi4 is slightly stronger.

>Double.
55 (4gb pi4) vs 99.

wtf there's no regular HDMI? Who the fuck has has micro-HDMI?

Attached: 1497154026996.jpg (360x296, 33K)

>It will "happily" play gamecube games at 75% speed
In other words, they're unplayable.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-30-15-20-41-776_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg (1200x1437, 170K)

using my 3b as a desktop with no issues re: heat - no heatsink

put on ebay .. i have sold (thru upgrading to further pis), two pi3s so far - ebay = 40+ watchers, each time. stop saying they gather dust. maybe for the unqualified idiots wannabe programmers who frequent Jow Forums my pi is used heavily, daily. it is a desktop/server it is everything. im getting the 4 but not right away

I bought 2 of these and they are always flimsy as fuck and lose video signal from the slightest wiggle
fuck adapters