How many of you think pic related (ReactOS) will ready for use?

How many of you think pic related (ReactOS) will ready for use?

The year that I think it'll get to beta is 2094.

Attached: bad.png (1280x720, 722K)

It is kinda ready already...

I'm waiting for video support, if they can keep an old pc going with xp compatible software its a win for me

5 to 7 years from now. but only for legacy software since Microsoft will become a (((cloud))) based service by that time

The truth is, ReactOS is nothing more than a custom NT with Wine. ReactOS has nothing to do with application support, the entire userspace is based on Wine, the devs are working on kernelspace. Main goal is to make Windows-compatible drivers, and as they STILL can't get (even barebones) NT 5.2 compatibility, every day spent on it means it gets more and more outdated.
They didn't select an easy task, to see it where it is already is impressive, but the amount of fucking placeholders in the source code is something else.

It's unusable for anything besides typing notes in notepad

Install it on a system with optical drive and report any issues.

I have it running on 3 bare metal machines without VMs.

One is in my shop for CANBUS programming and CNC interfacing because proprietary industry bs.

Second one is my experimental one that I have BTRFS as a root on it.
3rd one I use to play my win 95-98 cd games.

Isn't MS Windows compatible with software written for XP?

>The truth is, ReactOS is nothing more than a custom NT with Wine.
Are you implying there is anything bad with that? Seeing as how Wine is a Win32 implementation, it seems pointless to duplicate that effort for no reason. They still have the advantage over Wine on Unix-likes that they theoretically have the same kernel architecture that Win32 programs expect, so there's far less need for stuff like wineserver that just emulates the NT kernel layer.

A disconnect between the kernel and userspace leads to problems. Although ReactOS has gotten it down to an art, not going down the road of Linux (imagine if you needed to choose your Win32 implementation after installing React), it still means that Wine on Linux has potentially more software support, as the builds there are more up to date and can report newer NT versions, not an option on ReactOS.

Right-click on the .exe file, click properties, then click on the compatibility tab and choose which Windows NT version you want to report as. That's an option in ReactOS, newer versions have had this since 0.4.8/0.4.9.

>32 bit
agree its already more usable than windows tho

Sooner than year of linux desktop

I stand corrected. Good to see they're improving.

i mean i want an os setup that uses xp drivers (muh performance) but still gets security problems fixed

Imagining making an OS where 99% of the work is done by other developers (WINE) but you still can't shit out a release candidate after two decades

Wine can already handle most of the compatibility stuff that ReactOS was originally designed for; you can make a setup with a Linux distro running Wine and it'll run your old shit better than the OS specifically built for that purpose.

At one point there was increased enthusiasm for working on it with the whole CoC shenanigans going on, but to my knowledge none of that enthusiasm went anywhere.

My year of the Linux desktop was 2002.

>Wine can already handle most of the compatibility stuff that ReactOS was originally designed for
ReactOS was originally designed for driver-level compatibility, which is very much not true on Linux.

Sure but the objective is similar but a compatibility layer isn't a full os
And so I see reactos as an equivalent of freedos (and wine would be dosbox)

And also would be useful to flash BIOS without windows

>and wine would be dosbox
this is so wrong, dosbox emulates an i386 cpu

I know this it was just a way to say that its a way to use software from other OS/hardware compared to using the "real" thing