He still uses grub

>he still uses grub
don't be a brainlet forever user. use the superior boot loader

Attached: syslinux.png (496x529, 128K)

>Why yes, I do use gummiboot. How could you tell?

Attached: njeafttvza731.jpg (750x725, 122K)

Is this compatible with GRUB? For instance, I've got a computer with several purpose-built Linux distros, all using GRUB. Would I need to convert them all to this, or can you mix and match bootloaders? I've never really played around with this kind of shit.

youve never played around with it because you dont need to, grub boots your shit dont fuck with dark magic you will break it

>using bootloader when every PC has UEFI
Thanks, I'm using EFISTUB.

grub and syslinux can be installed at the same time but obviously you can only use one at a time. I think some distros automatically configure for you but in not configuration is still pretty easy
he can easily chroot into his install and grub-install to go back and see what he did wrong

Majority of people use systemdboot dumbfuck.

Grub is still useful though for non uefi systems and also embedded because they lack pre configured environments like a bios that can run before the kernel is loaded.

Also it is used in crpted /boot setups.
A pleb like you doesn't understand how that works though and leave theirs in clear text thinking he's le haxxer.

grub supports encrypted /boot

I just put the kernel in /EFI and use efibootmgr to set it as default. What is the point of a boot loader?

What if one wants to use shim with multiple kernels, though? Are you gonna keep a shim for every kernel you have?

it's built into the the kernel image. I just keep the default in /EFI/bootx64.efi then have menu entries for /EFI/linux-4.19 for example. How many kernels do you have? I keep like the last 5 and I have almost never needed them, generally if a kernel update doesn't work you know right after a reboot and can roll back.

Ok user, why should I use this over GRUB?

because....

it's more obscure

haha no

Because why? Does it boot faster? Is it more secure? Does it suck your dick?

No idea what you mean.
I have everything hardcoded into the kernel and just swap them.

I use LILO

huehue he was implying that there are no reasons, partner

liloling at your lilife

I tried to use this, but never got it to work. Grub just werks with very little tweaking or configuration required.
I think it might have been some filesystem incompatibility or something, but I'm not sure.

Shim is a preloader and the thing it loads afterwards is hardcoded

I think it only supports the ext file systems hence the name extlinux. here's my config
TIMEOUT 30
ONTIMEOUT gentoo
UI vesamenu.c32
MENU TITLE boot
LABEL gentoo
MENU LABEL Gentoo Linux
LINUX /vmlinuz-4.19.52-gentoo
APPEND root=/dev/sda4
no. I couldn't think of anything to say

i used lilo forever until it refused to boot one day with 0 software or hardware changes (with an obscure error message no one solved online), i cant risk that shit