Is tiling a meme?

Hell, even dwm's web page doesn't tile everything and looks plain shitty and suboptimal.

Attached: 1534824727646.png (600x375, 180K)

Yes.
The most sane, bloat-free, yet practical setup is a standalone floating wm such as jwm, windowmaker or Openbox.
Leave tiling to LARPers who never do amything productive.

yes
suckless people are batshit
C is shit! they proclaim. I know, they the obvious solution to this problem is limiting our codecase to an arbitrary 1000 lines and stripping out anything that we can't be assed with
and then they held a tikki torch march and talked about cultural marxism on their circlejerk forum

if you miss the inconvenience and unrefinement of 80s unix and enjoy micromanaging small parts of your userspace while ignoring the underlying clusterfuck that powers it, then dwm is for you. fucking software regressives.

spbp

I use i3 since it adds no unnecessary UI and lets me change between programs by Alt+number, without moving my fingers from the keyboard.
Tiling is useful, but I hardly ever have more than two panes in a single workspace.

Attached: 1561798753935.jpg (1280x672, 89K)

let their unix philosophy wither away and die like their daydream fantasies about their unaboomer cabins in arizona.

Enjoy your bloat.

depends on the type of programs you want to use. Tiling works best if you use the keyboard 90% of time (like in a terminal). So for vim (or emacs), ranger (or nnn), cmus, etc... I recommend tiling. If you mostly use gui, then avoid it, but if you do a lot of tui and can memorise the keybindigs then it's productive as fuck.

Do you not see the three tiled windows in the background?

based!
So they are truly /ourguys/!

Why does tiling trigger basedboys so much?

samefag lmao, I didn't need to read past the first post to know it was i3 user though.

have sex

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-30_21-04-44.png (586x122, 13K)

Attached: fag.jpg (1783x381, 75K)

Tiling is good if you work in tech. It's really helpful to see your SSH session, the program you're working on, and some reference at the same time and have it take up the most space.
If you look at people who do this in floating window managers (like in Windows) they always arrange their windows in the way a tiling WM would.

No, it's not a meme, I almost exclusively run graphical applications and even then I greatly prefer tiling wms.
The real meme is autistic, pseudominimal wms such as dwm, where you need to use the retarded patching system to customize it, and it still manages to offer nowhere near the functionality other wms do.
But since dwm has a relatively small, yet vicious and aggressive userbase, people often associate tiling with Suckless, therefore giving it a bad reputation.

In essence:
>tiling = good
>extreme minimalism = bad

nice bait
6.7 out of 10

>every post which doesn't suck my minimalist gods' cocks is bait

Tiling is never useful, you can't see two windows at the same time.
So it's actually a waste of space to not have windows on top of each other or maximized, some Apps™ also are expected to be floating so it can have the correct size.

Use i3-gaps. It's good—not life-changing, but good.

If you actually want something that's light on resources, you'll use an incredibly light environment like LXDE or IceWM.
Both are about as light as something like i3, but are actually usable.
>but it takes me less time to press my keys than to click
The time you'll spend fucking around trying to learn how your TWM works, and configuring it the way you want, is still more time than you'll ever get back from actually using keyboard shortcuts.
In addition, insisting on keyboard-only while using applications intended to be used with a mouse is pure retardation.

Attached: icewm.png (1024x768, 150K)

>Tiling is never useful, you can't see two windows at the same time.
such patent nonsense

Seething ricefag got told

Say that again to the people having to work with a Notebook all the time. Being able to control your environment with keyboard only is a godsend. No need to constantly have one hand on a trackpad. These keyboard clit mouse thingies exist but rarely see people using them.

The time used to config my i3 was so little. Hell most people just copy paste what they see others made. Almost No one does a config from scratch

>you can't see two windows at the same time.
WhaT?

It’s nonsense because you can arrange windows next to each other in twm’s

retard, you have two eyes but can you read two different block of texts at the same time? don't be retarded
I get it that SOMETIMES you write shit from another window but every floating window manager has at least that much tiling

Imagine being this stupid.

>xddxdddxd u dumb
epic argument

No the fact that you seem to think its only valuable to focus on a single window at any given time and referring to information in multiple windows pulled up at once is what tells me you're a complete fucking retard.

Plenty of floating wms can do tiling, even Windows 7 and onwards can do tiling with super and arrow keys and you can switch to the program that's in your task bar with super and number. I don't see the need for keyboard only tiling wms like i3 unless you're using a laptop with a garbage trackpad. If you use it on desktop you're insane.

I couldn't agree more

Install KDE. Kwin can tile.
It's pronounced quinn btw.

Attached: 1518206971445.png (355x143, 13K)

I get were you are coming from, but for me dwm didn't need more features. I'd also assume that you aren't the main target of dwm.

This. I'd never use anything other than a TWM on my laptop.
t. Openbox user

After a couple years of using tiling wms I tried going back to floating for around a month, to convince myself it was a meme, but I couldn't.
After getting used to tiling, going back to floating honestly just feels like a downgrade. People can tell me it's for neckbeards as much as they want, but my workflow and personal experience say otherwise.

>and then they held a tikki torch march and talked about cultural marxism on their circlejerk forum

wtf I love suckless now

I think what most people fail to realize is that neither tiled nor floating is best all of the time, it depends on WHAT you're doing at that precise instant.

I use floating most of the time if I'm just goofing around, browsing the web, watching something in VLC, chatting on IM, having a few terms opened, etc. I think floating works better in this case.

However sometimes, for example if I'm working on some code, I want to have the editor + a terminal + maybe some PDF for reference or a debug window opened, then IN THAT CASE I believe tiling works better because I'm maybe working between 2 or 3 windows which I keep in sight most if not all of the time.

debloat your fat body before complaining about software bloat

dwm best wm

Attached: dwm.png (1243x717, 150K)

what a retard

seethe