Deletes your desktop environment

>deletes your desktop environment
heh nothing personnel kid

Attached: apt autoremove.png (117x16, 1K)

oh god oh fuck

Attached: 1534399173527.png (1366x142, 183K)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

install your DE manually or at least set it to manually installed so this doesn't happen

>his desktop environment was installed as a requirement to another package he was installing
Big oof.

Select that entire block of packages, copy, sudo apt-get install, paste.
All the packages change to manually installed.

That Aptitude shit is retarded. If you want to remove a package and it's dependencies without fucking yourself with Pacman, you just do pacman -Rsun $PACKAGE.

Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise doesn't have this problem

NixOS does not have this problem, also GuixSD too

>le arch is teh best way to do anything lmao
>dude why don't u just use arch
>pacman is the best package manager
>actually run an arch system
>two weeks later, it's going to fuck itself into a bricked state thanks to it's supposed killer app (pacman)
>have to use tty to restore it back to a working condition
Arch is a fucking meme and it will always be that way.

Windows Embedded 7 and 10 don't have this issue

>two weeks later, it's going to fuck itself into a bricked state thanks to it's supposed killer app (pacman)
Things that didn't happen.

t. has never run arch beyond installing it

If you had a car it would have removed that. But you didn't, so it did the closest it could and removed your DE.

I have autoremove as part of my update/upgrade alias command, something like this hasn't happened yet. Should I remove it?

Been running Arch for almost ten years now actually. Pacman has never bricked my install. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to chroot in to fix it but that hasn't happened in about 2 years now. And I believe that shit happened due to accidental partial upgrades.

>using a desktop enviroment

>want GNU+Linus's Kernel to become the defacto desktop
>but the community is plagued by retards like this faggot

>can't use cli or at least a wm
>calls other people retarded

>desks
Jow Forums should develop the first floortop environment. It works similarly, but you have way more space. Your windows are arranged into "piles" on your large floor space. When a new window is created, you choose which pile to add it to. You can pick a pile, causing its contents to be temporarily strewn about the free floor space. You can then change focus to a different pile by re-piling what you had strewn and then strewing the new pile.

i think that's just multiple workspaces

nah it's usually safe except in edge cases
how this usually happens:
>apt install package-B
>B depends on A, A gets installed. A is noted as "not manually installed"
>A is something that can be used independently as well as as a dependency for something else. for example, B could be a GUI for the CLI app A
>user uses both A independently and B for a while
>user decides they no longer want B
>apt remove package-B
>apt thinks A is no longer needed
>A gets removed with next autoremove

Yes, but the floor metaphor includes files as well. Instead of folders you just have all your files in a pile that you can rummage through.

Have you removed some meta packages without setting the packages you want to keep to manually installed? Are you running Ubuntu?
# apt autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

so basically putting files in ~/Desktop?

This actually stood out to me in xubuntu. I wanted to uninstall some preinstalled shit I would never use (i.e. the dictionary) but they're deps of xubuntu-desktop so that gets marked as to remove which takes EVERYTHING ELSE it depends on like xfce with it.

i had a friend who used to do this, actually
he disabled grid alignment on desktop and just put files on top of each other, he had like 7 or 9 gigs of funny images and webms in that pile

wait, does the dictionary depend on xubuntu-desktop or does xubuntu-desktop depend on the dictionary?

>using debian based distros

the latter

like this?

Attached: messy desktop.jpg (1600x1200, 1.81M)

Yes except there's no desk and you get the entire floor. So they're more space to work with. And you can put all your files into a pile when you aren't working with them.

This, but the Floortop Environment would help you manage your piles, unpiling them and then repiling them when you're done.

kilda, it looked like this but more extreme, i put in like 30 files there, he had thousands

Attached: pile.png (168x97, 29K)

>Yes except there's no desk and you get the entire floor. So they're more space to work with.
goddamn you successfully baited me for a while incredible

I haven't uses apt for ages so I don't remember the exact command, but you can just mark the packages as explicitly installed without actually reinstalling them.

Perfect. If only you had a tool to dynamically sort through the pile and then repile it. Now imagine being able to have multiple piles like this, and being able to put your windows into the piles too.

do you imagine it working like gnome's super key? bringing all windows next to eachother, but it would let you pick which pile of windows or files to unpile?

I've removed some packages over the months, and I've slowly collected this list. It's so large and has a couple xorg packages that I'm scared to autoremove. Also yes, I'm using Ubuntu. Sidenote: This was my captcha, what the fuck

Attached: 1552126507204.png (193x185, 43K)

meanwhile to autoremove on pacman
>pacman -R $(pacman -Qdtq)
because why not

My fucking sides this sounds so retarded it may actually work

>emerge --depclean
>deletes pkgconfig
heh nothin personal

solus is better since eopkg doesn't have the equivalent of apt autoremove

wish i was not being serious, why the hell did i install ikey's distro :(

Exactly. It extends the UNIX "everything is a file" paradigm to "everything is in a pile", including running processes and their windows and even clipboard snips. It's just like working in a cluttered room. You use the always-running Pile Manager to strew, search, declutter, and repile your piles. Because a pile displays the icons and miniaturized images of windows that are in it, you can get an idea what a pile is just by looking at it. Since files, windows and clipboard snips are grouped together into piles, you can have everything involved with a given task heaped together for easy access.

just like the post you replied to retard, learn to read