/sqt/ stupid questions thread

I'm looking to get a mechanical keyboard now that the price has plummeted since I built my PC.

What would you guys recommend? I just want something reasonably priced with switches that won't annoy my girlfriend, which I'm told would be cherry browns, and no flashy faggy gamer lights, or at least being able to toggle them off.

Attached: 1554528879705.jpg (290x369, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tecware-Phantom-Mechanical-Keyboard-Outemu/dp/B079HQBYDD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=B18IN7INX2D&keywords=cherry+brown+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1561936346&s=electronics&sprefix=CHERRY+BROWN+,electronics,158&sr=1-17&th=1
support.alldata.com/alldata-mobile-android
youtube.com/watch?v=IcwI5FrnXl4
hackaday.io/project/12211-arduino-glasses-a-hmd-for-multimeter,
adafruit.com/product/910
learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-zero/video-outputs
adafruit.com/product/3787
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF789797B4F6040C1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>dat pic
Speaking of keyboard switches, I thought the blacks were the quiet ones.
>inb4 /mkg/

been getting pic related for a while now.
looking up some things, it seems like google has rolled out an 'if you have an account with us, your cool, if not, your a bot' captcha that may be related.

anyone have any idea whats up? I use umatrix and ublock origin, its not ip related as im able to post with a different browser.

Attached: chrome_2019-06-30_14-56-40.png (446x370, 22K)

Have you tried disabling umatrix and ublock origin to see if it works?

I just realized it a few minutes ago, and google apparently from the last 6 times it opened up is still in the 'fuck off your a bot' phase.

If this is the case I need some help with definitions and what to leave open in umatrix, I cant just not use them due to 4chans malicious/HIGHLY suspect bullshit they do to people even when they have a pass.

Attached: 2019-06-30_17-29-48.png (560x363, 27K)

whelp quick update, its fucking ublock origin.

going to see if there is anything I can do with updates, but there is no way I'm taking a condom off to use this site.

>there is no way I'm taking a condom off to use this site

Attached: itllbefun.jpg (530x353, 41K)

How do i update my OpenGL version on Linux?
My OpenGL only goes up to 2.1.
Do I have to manually install newer drivers or something?

Is windows 10 still a laggy piece of shit that doesn't do what you want it to? or should I just stay on w8.1?

halfway done with finding out what it was that fucked it

think I found it, one check to confirm

and will it let me post
Ok, fanboy's enhanced tracking list seems to be what is fucking with it.

these two seem to be the big ones that fuck with it.

Attached: ShareX_2019-06-30_17-43-01.png (494x1156, 90K)

dumb cat

SOMEBODY HELP ME I WANT TO ORDER A KEYBOARD TODAY SO I CAN GET IT ON MY DAYS OFF

Attached: 1354434202_preview_1484419694746.jpg (1014x1024, 60K)

trying to install debian with xfce, got net install and full cd, done the sticks with rufus, to a 128gb empty ssd formatted to ext4, machine has 4gb ram
installer consistently aborts install during the select and install software step, both installers do this.
What variable can be making this happen, and how do I stop this?

What's a good way to listen to/aggregate podcasts? I know almost nothing about them but I do know I don't want to use anything involving Google/Apple

>native linux cs go runs on minimal settings in 15-18 fps
>when trying to run through proton it starts the process and doesnt start a window game
i know its iGPU but it is not supposed to max 18 fps on lowest settings right? what to do lads

On Jow Forums X, is there a way to highight posts that contain a certain word? Almost like Clover?

alright last try

amazon.com/Tecware-Phantom-Mechanical-Keyboard-Outemu/dp/B079HQBYDD/ref=sr_1_17?crid=B18IN7INX2D&keywords=cherry+brown+mechanical+keyboard&qid=1561936346&s=electronics&sprefix=CHERRY+BROWN+,electronics,158&sr=1-17&th=1
This one seems to have everything I'm looking for and is in my price range. How are Outemu switches however? Are they much cheaper feeling than Cherries or would this be $45 well spent?

If you play games, consider the cooler master keyboard with the aimpad technology.
Otherwise, just click around on newegg until you see something you want. The wiki in the sticky will explain the switch types.

I want to get into Linux again. I have experience managing Linux servers due to work but not with Linux as a "hobby".

What distros should I look into as a gaming power user that is planning on dual booting and just slowly move to an open-source environment?

Any Linux/Raspberry Pi projects to get me looking in the right direction?

Attached: 12295455_10156353698015437_972853157420875148_n.jpg (685x685, 60K)

Download the files and sort them into folders by the name of the man/podcast/whatever and name them all with filenames starting with yyyy-mm-dd.

Pocket Cast is a good app for that

If uninstalling default shit without needing to use the terminal and not spying on you are things that you want windows to do, then that's right, it still doesn't do what you want.

I'm trying to find a way to put a General Motors program onto my tablet, a, 8gb amazon fire i got for free.
From what i understand i need VMware installed to run the program but haven't been able to find a non-windows type player.
Should i look to try and turn my shitty fire tablet into a windows OS?
Maybe try to find a virtual OS for a virtual player?
Any help is most appreciated as trying to fix crap on my car using my phone is a pain in the ass.

Attached: 1485804935081.jpg (799x916, 207K)

How can I download videos from twitter?

I had "not update" in mind but I guess those things are good too.

Tell me more about this general motors program. How is it supposed to work?
Do cars like expect you to plug in your laptop to do maintenance on them now or is this some kinda thing meant only for dealership technicians?

Anyway, you might be able to install wine which could run your program if it's indeed a windows program. But you might have to root the device because I think those fire tablets are known for not letting you install anything not from the built in amazon repository.

It's really only meant for dealership technicians. It as step by step procedures on how to test/fix anything and everything on GM cars made from '98 through '04.
I figured they through it on tablets so i thought i'd try as well.
It DL'd as an iso and when i installed it by mounting it virtually, it had me install VMware.

Thanks, i'll look into Wine and rooting. Should've known it being Amazon...

Does anyone know what 'auto manage' means in the deluge label features under the 'queue' section? I found on another site it says: “Auto Managed” – Auto Manage your ratio and download location at torrent completion. right, so besides the move location option, isn't that what queue is there to begin with? I can setup what ratio a torrent stops at, the max download/upload speed/upload slots/connections via labels, .So if I can already automanage these torrents via labels, managing what max ratio it'll hit before it stops seeding, or limit speed for upload/download/connections for that label, then what does auto manage do? Is there another purpose that I'm missing here?
>pic related
On the left is the 'automanage' feature, but you can see 'stop ratio at 50%', then on the right it shows 'maximum' options for this label, upload/download speed, connections, and upload slots. So between the two, I can 'automanage' any torrent in this label, I can set it to seed to 50:1 ratio at 120kb/s. Plus you can add trackers to the label, so you can autoadd torrents to the label. The only option in labels that I can see it using is the move torrent after completion. Am I missing something here, or what? What else can this automanage feature do for you?

Attached: 1556291207644.jpg (536x323, 40K)

Can I transfer files PC to PC via USB-C?

1) Whats the best youtube downloader? Using Firefox right now.

2) Getting tired of my addon's being disabled. Besides doing the work around, any other way to stop that?

What's the simplest way to wire up five LEDs to go from one to five lights on? Obviously a microcontroller could to it, but the overkill is incredible. Similarly, one could wire each on up with a button maybe with and gates to force the lights to turn on in the correct order, but that seems like overkill too. There's got to be a simpler way.

I want a TODO list app that I can have a shared todo list that other people can see and edit?

If it had iOS/Android apps & a web or desktop interface that would be good.

Any suggestions?

Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. You can populate a list and anyone who has accessed to that list can see what is needed and can also add or take away items from it too.

youtube-dl
jDownloader has a gui and supports YouTube iirc. A
Shared Google docs file. You can have multiple people see and edit it, also can see who is viewing it.

I'm trying to undervolt and underclock an old laptop from 2010, but there seems to be no option for this in the BIOS menu. Are there any workarounds?

Blacks and reds are quieter than other cherry switches

whats a good study guide for the a+ cert?

Basically ETKA (volkswagen-audi group only) /AllData (universal), correct? Yeah you'll need to basically a VM to run it on android. or get AllData's mobile version: support.alldata.com/alldata-mobile-android

I have reds and they're still loud as fuck, according to everyone around me.

>youtube-dl
>jDownloader

Completely forgot about Jdownloader. Thanks for the help user.

What are the pros and cons of using Iridium vs Ungoogled Chromium?

I just got a midi keyboard
I want to be able to hit the keys and hear sound in my headphones, pretty much nothing else
what program do I download for that?

Why does KDE keep doing this? The screen freezes, and when you scroll/switch tabs it chops up the screen. When I drag the window around it properly pays video, but when I stop moving the window it stops moving.
This has happened with firefox, waterfox, vlc, and the default toolbar, and seems pronounced with flash applets and video playing.

>Why does KDE keep doing this?

Attached: Screenshot_20190630_210409.png (1363x657, 83K)

should i study for a+1001 -1002
or 901 and 902?

What tech job pays the most?

My old laptop's wi-fi started shitting the bed friday, just stopped working all of a sudden. Tried stuff like installing the driver again and doing a system restore to a point before the issue to no avail. Also started having issues with Windows freezing and trouble booting, so I'm thinking it's a hardware problem with the wireless card.
Can I just replace it with any newer mini pcie card or do I have to look for older models? The notebook is an Acer 5750g and the card is a Broadcomm t77h268.00 hf.

just out of curiosity, when uploading a file to a server through a web-based cpanel, what protocol is the file being transferred through? just http? asking because my webdev friend swears that uploading to server through web cpanel is faster than connecting via FTP. i cant think of a reason why that might be true.

caseyrule.com/projects/piano/

can someone tell me why the record prompt isn't showing on vocaroo? I have my mic in and turned off my ad blocker

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-30 Vocaroo Online voice recorder.png (963x425, 58K)

Anyone?

On whatsapp, what does it mean when the 'double ticks' don't turn blue, but the per you're conversing with has obviously read them and replied? I thought they are supposed to turn blue once the message is seen?

There's a privacy option to disable it so people don't know if you read the message.

True? Whereabouts is this setting?

Two questions, one how come despite every down or not site saying fireden works perfectly fine I can no longer access it or see deleted posts on Jow Forums X? Second, why does my Yandex search always give bad request nowadays whenever I search for an image here?

Settings - account - privacy - disable read receipts

flash, my man.

Attached: 1548395073750.png (1079x581, 58K)

does your processor support it? make, model etc for more info.

right, thank you

Is this the stupid questions thread?

Attached: 1472166377178.png (800x632, 278K)

I don't have experience with browns but they probably a safe bet for being quiet. You could also get sound dampeners on different switches because I hear browns feel like shit to type with. Try to get something that has PBT caps over ABS, because you'll want them after the ABS starts to shine. I bought a filco majestouch tkl, though idr if they come in browns. It's been great, no complaints, solid board.

im going to get a 1440p 144hz monitor but what im looking at is smaller (in width/height) than my current monitor, is it jarring to have a bigger secondary monitor or am i just tisming

>tisming
>jarring
nigga come back and make a grammatically proper sentence, okaie dokie? but I can tell you 144hz is a meme and a waste of money..

I don't know why you'd ever pick a smaller primary. Size is the best, assuming you don't go nuts with it. 1440 27 is great. Have you actually TRIED 144hz? Do you have a plan for returning it if it turns out you don't give a shit? These are rhetorical, I don't need to know.

I got a new monitor and it has a black bar all the way around the screen how do I get rid of it.
1080p 100Hz. compared to my old 720 monitor Ive had for almost a decade.

mainly because my current primary is 32 inches and anything matching those dimensions @ 1440p 144hz is a little expensive, and i also see a lot of curved screens when looking at above 27 inch monitors and i dont really have a good opinion on those

Curved screens are fine. They're weird for like the first hour you ever use one, and then the effect is pretty nice. They actually increase the % of your vision that is occupied, basically acting like a bigger screen. Also the immersion factor is pretty nice for games.

What's a good latex editor for windows?

My dad bought himself a 4K Samsung TV and had a few problems with screen mirroring (along with Wi-Fi connectivity issues of sorts, along with the TV not including bluetooth audio support for some reason, I guess some research should have been done beforehand).

Anyways, he has two surface tablets (pro and go) and Windows screen mirroring seems to be finicky. At first it took a long ass time to even attempt to connect, the screen would blink for a second and do fuck all. I managed to make that instantaneous by adding certain rules to the default windows firewall. Then after a long time of fiddling around, I decided to look through the service menu on that TV and it turns out, the default resolution for screen mirroring was 4K. I switched it to 2K (no other options than those) and bingo, now the screen works. However every now and then it shows artifacts like poorly encoded video when scrolling through shit.

So a few questions: If this isn't an option that's easily accessible, or at least it's unsupported, would it fuck with anything in the long term? I mean, what would make Samsung go "hey, let's not include this option anywhere else than the service menu"? Is there any way to somehow improve connectivity while doing the screen mirroring?

Have you tried go to your gpu control panel like this and play around with it? I got the same problem yesterday after installing a new gpu and using hdmi cable instead of my 10 year old d-sub cable. In my case, though, I ended up using the d-sub cable again instead of HDMI (because too lazy to play around with the scaling things) and the black bar is gone.

Attached: QOoRgEP.jpg (808x767, 131K)

I think my PC starts too fast to enter BIOS. I am hammering F2 or Delete the entire time as I should. Win7 btw

Attached: 1561871076543.jpg (500x495, 63K)

what a good place for torrenting anime?

Whenever I install a Linux distro my pc randomly shuts off. It used to work fine with W7.

Used to think it was because of heat, but I placed a fan next to it, cleaned it, and added more thermal.

This happened on manjaro. I have 8gb ram, 1tb, 6300amd and 960rtx

Attached: D98k3vGXYAEqtBR.jpg (612x958, 49K)

Disconnect the ssd?

Disable fastboot in the setting/control panel.

I have 6 catters inside and 7 outside. Their well fed kept up with shots and given the care and attention they need. Only thing is they're expensive as fuck to own. Should I pull the trigger and thanos half of them before this months rent? Or should I eat rice and beans for the next year and a half and slowly and methodically give them away.

I'm an intern and I do nothing but study all day. Is that alright?

Attached: 76089a9dc0e5a884a08a795858c4085442168252r1-720-405v2_uhq.jpg (720x405, 34K)

is there anyway to fully customize the theme of windows 10 without third-parties?

youtube.com/watch?v=IcwI5FrnXl4
The quality here is obviously crunchy, but it's not unwatchable. However, the guy in the video said he had to turn the movie into a bunch of bitmap files in order to feed them into the screen.

Is it possible to use such small screens as live displays for a Pi Zero or something, to web browse and stream video? Can a Raspberry Pi even hook up to one of these screens in such a way? I've mostly only ever seen these kinds of things used with Arduinos to display simple data.

128x128 is really dang small, like micropenis tier. It would be extremely painful to use.

Do they make screens with higher density that are still roughly an inch across?
I'm kicking around the idea of making a HMD a la hackaday.io/project/12211-arduino-glasses-a-hmd-for-multimeter, but the screen he used is only good for displaying letters and numbers. I really want the ability to overlay video onto my vision, even if it's rough garbage video.

How does wikipedia contents box collapse/expand function work? It dosen't seem to require any JS because it still works even with scripts blocked. How do i replicate this?

>yandex
Are you russian? Fireden is blocked in russia, you have to use tor.

Here's one that claims 160x240 at 1.5 inches, the image is still very potato.
adafruit.com/product/910

Attached: 910-01.jpg (1200x900, 210K)

Be careful, depending on how customer proof they made it, you can really fuck shit up in the service menu. I don't think there's anything wrong with that particular setting though. Probably just didn't want to provide people with an option that looked less than stellar, or it was an oversite.

Mirroring in general tends to suck. You definitely don't want to view video content over it.

According to learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-zero/video-outputs at least some of that may be due to the input method being RCA.
However, they don't seem to have any screens at all in similar sizes with as great a pixel density in the sections for other display types/input types.

What decoder is Firefox using for VP9?

shaking my onions desu senpai

aha, a 1.5 inch 240x240
adafruit.com/product/3787
It looks quite delicate.

My monitor started showing black colour as a moroon. When I looked really close at the monitor I noticed the black colours are half red half black in vertical rows like pic related. Any idea on what the promble could be?

Attached: gay.png (87x537, 11K)

Can anyone recommend any good sources to learn C?

C is the first programming language I'm attempting to learn - am I better off learning it now or should I start with a more simple language first?

how do I add a .cue playlist to ncmpcpp? it has an associated .tta but when I press space/enter on the .cue file in the browser, nothing gets added to my playlist

C is fine (and imo probably one of the better languages) to start off with. it's great to have a lower level understanding when you start off. check out this lecture series, a little old but they're great
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF789797B4F6040C1

Probably too late, but it's an HP dv6 2170 with an i5 430M. I understand that you can't overclock a laptop, but undervolting and underclocking is something that makes a lot of sense for a machine like that, why wouldn't it be possible?

If you have that many cats you have bigger problems in your life that you need to get fixed. Along with getting rid of most of those cats.

And obviously the only thing I can do from there is continue practicing, correct? I keep getting disheartened and changing sources, which isn't helping me.

Anyway, I'll look into these. Thanks.

I believe css can do that.

>adafruit.com/product/3787
>microSD card holder so you can easily load full color bitmaps
>we've written a full open source graphics library that can draw pixels, lines, rectangles, circles, text and bitmaps
Same question then, can I hook this into a Pi and get to a desktop? It has no connectors; would I have to use the GPIO pins?