([KLX]u)buntu|Ubuntu(| (MATE|Budgie|Kylin))

What is the point of having so many Ubuntu flavours?
Why not just do it like pic related?

Attached: VirtualBox_Mageia_20_07_2017_00_06_21.png (1024x768, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

suse.com/c/new-desktop-selection-screen-opensuse-installer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How dare you question Lord Shuttleworth.

>suse.com/c/new-desktop-selection-screen-opensuse-installer/
install tumbleweed

Attached: install_ui_osuse.png (1023x771, 81K)

Sell me on OpenSUSE. What makes it superior to other distros?

either the .iso file gets way too large or you need an internet connection during installation then

google it lol
i just post opensuse to trigger the archfags
cant even count to 3 before they start the fud

It has both a rolling and stable version, the software is easily found in their software website, even if its not in the official repo.

99.9% of the anons you idiots identify as Arch users,are in fact,lonely OpenBSD shills. They seek attention whether it's positive,or negative.

or maybe they are part of the big wave of arch and manjaro gamers that has risen up "recently"
you can observe this specimen in the wild by the constant "bump" and "is this fixed yet????" on bugtrackers

I think the reasoning is that they want you to be able to test the distro out in a live environment before installing. That and having all the packages for all the environments on one disk might be prohibitively large.

Also it gives them a chance to polish their desktop with settings that might not make sense with another desktop, stuff like GTK settings and such.

canonical doesn't know what the fuck to do with its distribution that's why.
Even fedora has a net installer with those options

>K Desktop Environment Plasma Desktop
>Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment Desktop
Why do they add "Desktop"

same reason you stop at an ATM machine

CA$H

In order to give multiple choices of DE, you have to increase the size of install images. Ubuntu guarantees the default spin image size to be less than 1 GB, and some embedded systems don't have a workaround for a larger image.

Because then there'll be specific, dedicated communities around said DEs that'll improve it; they're free to group up and do their own thing independently.
Compare ubuntu mate with the mate fedora spinoff. The latter is simply a basic bitch, '00s looking boring desktop. Just fedora with default mate shit. Meanwhile ubuntu mate not only looks like a really good windows 7 skin, you can also OOTB modify it to look like mac OS, unity etc, works with optimus laptops with no further settings, have an actually working app store (unlike discover/gnome store) AND has software caps lock indicator in the task bar.

Attached: 1545076923008.jpg (595x603, 48K)

Sadly this.

> ATM machine

I like my kubuntu............

>GNOME as the top choice instead of being under "other"
Into garbage.

It allows the spins to have more polished and focused ootb experiences.
Also live CDs for each environment.

This.

I'll give you some pros and cons more or less for consideration:

Leap is extremely stable, some would say indistinguishable from Debian but with more feature updates. The OBS if you choose to use it has a plethora of software if the main repos can't get you by. Nvidia has an official repo for both distros granting better support than almost all distros, but under Tumbleweed there are times where they don't update fast enough and leave unbootable systems, though it's rarer these days. Snapper and btrfs as a default partition scheme is very nice for rolling back in case something goes horribly wrong so there's some peace of mind. oS also has hands down the best KDE implementation of any distribution as the tweaks, extra patches and theme all blend and work fantastically to better enhance the DE. Finally, the community is arguably one of the best you can come around with as most are not shills or are more disciplined with multiple distros to understand issues better.

Now for the more negative, YaST is hit or miss if you choose to use it, it's clunky and doesn't always register system changes correctly. The metapackage system it uses is arguably very poor and confusing which can lead to people constantly reinstalling removed packages or having to pull large unrelated ones due to their association. Tumbleweed is also very prone to breakage recently as the devs solely rely on OBS testing for package passing rather than a combination of automated and QA as Fedora does which can lead to other various problems. Lastly, it's not recommended as a gaming or rendering bench distro especially if you have an Intel CPU due to the extra hardened security flags they employ that take a significant hit on all fronts and even makes GNOME 3.32 stutter profusely, which has since been slightly rectified but not Fedora optimal.

Some points for your consideration, I personally don't love or hate it but as it is mostly a hobby distro some cracks will tend to appear periodically.