Buy 4k tv

>buy 4k tv
>hook up laptop
>only 30 hz
>doesn't support hdr even though the tv supports it
>because you need a special drm hdmi cable or whatever the fuck
I'm fucking sick and tired of the state of technology in 2019. How hard is it to make stuff that just work??
t. 33 years old

Attached: 15619334504112.png (800x789, 889K)

4K TVs are a scam currently. There's no cable/satellite TV Channels that are in 4K so you're stuck with a few shows from Netflix and Amazon that are either shit or propaganda. 4K is only great for a PC monitor.

Shit, is that so? Not OP, but I'm going to be in the market for a TV as I need one, and I was wondering whether I should get a 1080, 120hz one, or just futureproof now get 4K. Note that I'll be using it primarily for playing video games (though I don't have a 4K Console, may get an Xbox One X), and maybe watching 4K Blu-Rays.

Attached: thinking hmm.jpg (220x249, 6K)

120hz tvs aren't actually 120hz, they're 60hz and do some kind of shitty interpolation (that also add shit ton of input lag).
Actually don't buy a tv at all and just buy a good, large monitor and stand close

then what goes in front of the couch?

>special drm hdmi cable
this isn't real right?
t. someone who doesn't have a TV

Attached: 1483942585445.jpg (574x695, 95K)

>Actually don't buy a tv at all and just buy a good, large monitor

hmm

>only 30 hz
You used HDMI didn't you? You have to use DisplayPort to get good refresh rates at 4K.

Huh, I actually didn't even consider getting a monitor instead. I'm gonna want a 32 or 37", too, so it might be better. And again, this'll be only for console gaming, and maybe a Roku box.

Damn. Now I got something else to think about. Thanks user.

For console gaming, a TV will be fine so long as it has a game mode. Game mode stops fucking with the colors, often turns off overscan, and turns off any postprocessing that adds lag.

HDMI supports DRM anyway. He probably has some old HDMI 1.4 shit, which cannot handle 4K 60Hz. You need a HDMI 2.0 capable video output for that.

If it's a smart tv you can dlna cast directly. Just have both the TV and computer on the same network. That will likely support HDR even.

Does this display the desktop in realtime, or is this just for streaming video files? I messed with some "DLNA" TV some years ago and it only seemed to want to stream media, and I needed an HDMI cable to use it like a monitor.

Yeah, it's just for media generally. There are some ways to stream desktop but they are janky, unreliable, and have a second or more latency.

Shit. Now the question.... should I get a 1080p 120hz TV or just go with 4k. Fuuuug.

Gearfag here. Gots Lots of screens. Bought a 4k TV to try on 1080p Satellite, not worth it. The few Ultra HD (4k) movies are amazing, but 4k suffers from frame lag and low light levels at this point. Give it a bit. However, as a computer monitor, I'm running it at 2.7k, and really dig the extra real estate.

Attached: 20190601_194310.jpg (3024x4032, 365K)

Or don't fall for the ">he doesn't use a TV as his monitor" meme and get high resolution and high framerate at once. Most "120 Hz" 1080p TVs only accept up to 60 Hz inputs and use some shitty tween-frame generation algorithm to upscale the framerate and display it on a 120 Hz panel.

Fucking boomers I swear to fuck

You got any recommendations I could look at? Interested in what the market looks like nowadays.

Last I checked high end 4Ks do proper 120Hz

Or maybe your laptop sucks balls

If you're a movie buff, genuine 4k releases are hitting the market. 4k Matrix is one of the first releases I'll watch once I buy a uhd tv.

Attached: .jpg (279x262, 37K)

>buy 4k tv
>hook up laptop
>only 30 hz

Do you have HDMI 2.0 on your laptop? HDMI 1.4 only does 4k at 30fps.

>doesn't support hdr even though the tv supports it
No, it's because you have shit-old hardware, likely.
HDR10 is only supported via HDMI 2.0, as well.

4K Blu-Rays are out.
Blade Runner 2049 in proper 4K/HDR is a fucking treat.

I wish they had used film for that movie. The digital camera topped out at around 3.4k

Yeah, high end ones, like the new 2019 Samsung's and LGs.

The C9 OLED for $2000 is probably the current best.

Super lower input lag, super low response time, OLED picture quality, and native 1440p 120hz with existing GPUs, and will support 4k 120hz when new GPUs with HDMI 2.1 come out.

That was their choice though, most of the marvel films over the last few years were shot in ARRIRAW 6.5k res.

Though mastered for normal cinema release at 2k.

The imax version however gets most of that digital resolution

2013 called and wants its meme back.

Okay idiots, I've been using a 720p 39" for about two years now and I'd never pay the extra money to get a 4k TV. You're so far from it that it doesn't even matter, good colors and input lag are more important.

Funny how OP doesn’t mention what kind of shitbox he is using. It probably can’t even output 4k60.

Imagine being this retarded

Or his laptop is not HDR capable or some shit

Monitors have garbage image quality. Movies are completely unwatchable on an IPS panel. 144hz monitors are bullshit since 100% pixel transitions rarely ever occur within 8ms outside of cherry picked shades.

They don't sell decent 1080p TVs anymore. If you have an AMD graphics card get the NU8000, input lag with freesync enabled beats the vast majority of monitors. With 6ms of input lag at 120hz, it's pretty damn close to 4ms, the lowest possible sample and hold input lag, since it's tested at the middle of the screen.