'sup Jow Forums

'sup Jow Forums
it's quite literally my first time posting on this board, and I come with a few questions regarding different stuff that might not be related at all
>to programmers
is java a good programming language to start learning?
would it be easy to jump from it to other languages?
>to family people
do you guys think it'll be a good idea to slowly introduce my son to technology starting from retro(i.e sinclair zx) to current tech?
I think the simplistic games retro computers have would work well for a kid, while envigotaring his interest in technology

Attached: 1559938889235.jpg (640x640, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b7WxO4ipnh0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: dLvm7V026F.png (510x406, 317K)

I saw it the minute it was posted, nigga stole my image

i started with java about 10 years ago and i'm now a code monkey working on some shitty enterprise software i don't give a fuck about.
javascript is much more relevant today. start with that, or python

thanks a lot for the input
I know this is googleable, but what is the difference between those two? do I have to learn one first to be able to learn the other?

javascript is the language browsers use to manipulate pages and is what virtually all modern websites use
python is just a fun language to hack around in and easy to learn.
generally once you've learned one language, you know like 95% of what you need to learn any other

I never thought about introducing kids to retro tech first before, that actually sounds like a novel idea. You should definitely go for it.

I've been learning Java for some time now, and reading a bit about Javascript, I wasn't really lost
My objective is to know as many languages as possible
Learning about retro tech helped me understand technology and it's uses as a whole. They're not magic, so in this era of crazy advanced tech, I figured it would be great for him to know what is what
also so he makes a healthy use of it

Raising kids with technology:
Computer is in the living room, never in his(hers) room
Time on the computer is limited 30-60 minutes per day
You should install a few (preferably older) games, this will show them what the computer is capable of and make them more interested
No steam/discord/anime allowed
Using linux would make the child learn more of the basics
Do not buy expensive smartphones, start with a retro phone (like the new nokia) later on buy a smartphone but never >250$
Learn how to make a basic game (python) and teach it to the kid, but only after they get hooked on video games

this is by no means the perfect guide but i feel like this would have made me better not just with computers but in general
t. kinda antisocial computer nerd zoomer

>is java a good programming language to start learning?
learn C first
>do you guys think it'll be a good idea to slowly introduce my son to technology
No, that's a bad idea. make him play sports instead so he becomes a Chad

you can start with anything that isn't wacky like haskell or lisp, since at the beginning you're just gonna be learning things that are applicable to most languages, like conditions, loops, basic data structures and general good programming practices
so really pick anything from java, C, python, javascript, C#... then once you have the basics down switching to other languages will be easy

i propose a different approach
>give the kid a used thinkpad running arch with no internet connection and only a selection of text editors and gcc installed

Yeah of course it's an idea that needs polishing. Thankfully I have some time, as he's just a baby boy. I don't want him to become the same kind of tech autist I am
He'll play sports too, as I did. If he's able to become a professional, great, but otherwise he has the tech route. I'll be there anyway

>is java a good programming language to start learning?

No. Start with C++ so you get object-oriented + actually learn how computers work. JVM and Java library does too much work for you.

give him an empty thinkpad with gentoo iso

>My objective is to know as many languages as possible
No.

>limit the kid’s scope of access to different experiences so that he grows up in spite of the limitations he was given
cringe

learn c#
asp net core

it will be more relevant than java within the next couple of years

This, learn C if you want to learn the fundamentals, once you learn C, you can get to other languages with ease.

It's an easy language to learn and master.

That being said, java is a good second language to learn object oriented principles.

youtube.com/watch?v=b7WxO4ipnh0
tldr: even pajeets are leaving Java for Python. Python is also absorbing php workloads.

python is a meme language. i'm glad pajeets and retards are picking it up.

> tfw even Pajeets are smarter than you and recognise market trends

:^)

How do I learn this on linux? Literally every c# tutorial ever starts with the massive visual studio install

you don't. C# and .NET is for cucked winshits

you can use visual studio code. net core should run from the cmd line - even on linux (never used it on linux though so i might be wrong).

visual studio is comfy though. it uses a huge amount of resources and craps out on certain PCs but it's comfy as fuck.
asp net core will replace java within the next couple of years.

I checked job advertisements in my country and its mainly javascript, golang or java. In my country they teach you java in universities. So there are alot of java developers being pumped out. Rest of the two languages are easy to learn and you can make these java devs learn it ar work. What will make me stand out from rest of them as neet? Why would anyone want to hire a self taught java developer if they can hire someone with related education?

Java is the perfect middle ground for starting to code and it will be easier for you to jump from it to other languages. Do not learn Python first, it won't prepare you for lower level languages to the degree that Java will, however it is a good language to learn later on nonetheless. I can't comment on JavaScript.

Also this. You don't need or want to waste your time learning as many languages as possible. You want to be strong as concrete in a few.

I plan on starting to program my own stuff and use it later as a portfolio

ridiculous
windows is a dying platform

you learn nothing in picking up, and 'learing to code', through an IDE.. least of all with 'visual studio'

here is an idea: write an irc client that isn't shitty and has modern features.

asp net core runs on multiple platforms. it is going to replace java. additionally c# is the better java.

i wish we had good IDEs when i started programming.