Jow Forums doesn't allow APNG

>Jow Forums doesn't allow APNG
>Jow Forums doesn't allow WebP
>Jow Forums doesn't allow VP9/AV1+Opus WebM
why does Jow Forums hate high quality images/video and bandwidth savings?

Attached: vp9-x264-x265-encoding-quality.png (1256x924, 96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/
github.com/cloudinary/fuif/issues/2#issuecomment-466766291
files.catbox.moe/by1e0d.webp
cnet.com/news/googles-webp-image-format-finally-finds-a-browser-ally-microsoft-edge/
Jow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP#Support
telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

thanks gookmoot

not all these are supported by everyone, think legacy desu

Well, in theory everybody should be able to view at least the first frame of an APNG.

following this line of thought, all webms should be banned already because itoddlers can't view them

This, iToddlers are holding everyone back.

VP8/VP9 vorbis/opus webm, webp is natively supported by 80% of browsers except apple's safari trash browsers that can't even play webms.

inb4 iToddlers btfo

that is just an excuse for incompetence. chrome and firefox covers 99% of all users and both support these formats. the lazy fucking chink is just too braindead to implement them.

Unfortunately since at least half of americans have more money than brains even adopting webp is a huge roadblock since dumb phoneposters make the bulk of the hiroshimoot cash cows.

Attached: US-Smartphone-Market-Q1-2019.jpg (1200x616, 61K)

using Safari is like a windows fag using IE.
>stop doing that

Shoo googleshill

VP9 when

You got anything better to replace grandpa's JPG, PNG, and GIF formats? FLIF is DOA and everything else is proprietary cancer. At least webm/webp is open source.

>APNG, Opus
>Google

this
flif takes ages to decode and isn't even self-compatible across versions

There was also no new release for over a year now.

I still don't understand why VP9 was never implemented, everything that supports VP8 supports it and it's superior in basically every aspect.

Somebody think of the iOS users!
Sure, Jow Forums could just process the images and then serve low quality images for the users of lesser browsers, but that would mean Hiroshima would need to buy powerful hardware.

FUIF
Wait for JPEG XL

>FUIF
>latest commit 6 months ago
DOA

>Wait for JPEG XL
proprietary cancer

>latest commit 6 months ago
Research project
>proprietary
FUIF is going to *be* JPEG XL

So DOA aborted proprietary cancer? Got it. I'd rather use webp right now and wait for avif instead.

aomediacodec.github.io/av1-avif/

Hiroyuki doesn't seem to have any interest in developing the site at all.

JPEG isn't proprietary
AVIF is already available and is the usual video codec tier blur and detail remover
Okay for some use cases, but poor for lossless images and not ideal for every kind of content

>proprietary cancer
It's supposed to be royalty-free though, which is what most content providers and devs care about.

>FUIF is going to *be* JPEG XL
What? The JPEG XL specification is supposed to get published in a few months. The proposal was submitted before the FUIF repo was opened.

AV1's intra compression performs slightly better than AVC's and is roughly as efficient as FLIF.

FLIF/FUIF's creator is a JPEG XL committee member
Also see this comment: github.com/cloudinary/fuif/issues/2#issuecomment-466766291

Not him but what about webp's nearly lossless cruncher? It uses lossy PSNR encoding and saves the result to an uber compressed ARGB lossless webp format. Not gonna lie though it took me 2-3 minutes to make this webp on my T420 but still pretty cpu brutal.

files.catbox.moe/by1e0d.webp

Webp is 173KB and PNG is 543KB which is batshit insane to me when the PNG was saved with level 9 compression and I can't tell the images apart desu.

Attached: test.png (8000x4500, 530K)

nice anime :3

The near_lossless option is definitely nice, but it's pretty limited compared to FLIF's lossy encoder.
Also the comparison is a bit unfair. You can improve the PNG size as well. First here's your PNG properly optimized (lossless).

Attached: input.png (8000x4500, 444K)

is that actually true lmao?

And here's a version after high quality lossy optimization.

Attached: pingo_100.png (8000x4500, 231K)

the replacement for JPG is already here and its supported in Android and iOS

.HEIF

Attached: heif_blog.jpg (800x500, 179K)

also posting edits from yt would be easier

Actually, scratch that. Running lossless optimization on the lossily optimized PNG nets better results.

Attached: satania_pingo100.png (8000x4500, 200K)

And when I switch to pngquant I can beat your WebP size. Admittedly, it looks somewhat worse around the edges, but with such a high resolution it's barely noticeable at 100% zoom.

Attached: satania_pngquant99.png (8000x4500, 150K)

Right but what I'm saying is webp solved their chroma sub sampling color shifting problem their lossy encoder had by introducing an internal lossy ARGB cruncher to their lossless encoder. So not only have they replaced JPG, PNG, GIF but now even optimized PNGs. Seems like the perfect image format to use until AVIF roles out. The only thing that needs work now is better animation compression to surpass APNG efficiency. You don't need any fancy 3rd part crunchers like you do with PNG, it's already built in.

>APNG
dead format
no support for the rest is retarded though
gookmoot is busier embedding crypto miners and shit

>Right but what I'm saying is webp solved their chroma sub sampling color shifting problem their lossy encoder had by introducing an internal lossy ARGB cruncher to their lossless encoder.
I'm not sure I follow. Lossy and lossless WebP compression are different entities. Lossy WebP still forces chroma subsampling, as VP8 doesn't support anything else. And near_lossless is far from being able to reduce the file size as much as lossy WebP.

Well, there's good reason to use Safari on a Mac laptop that is running on battery power, it's much more efficient. The same could be said about IE on Wangblows.

I don't think Jow Forums cares about supporting weird obscure video formats because it's primarily an image board.

For me it's FLIF and Pik

>all these file formats are supported by chromium
>muh phoneposters
>muh legacy support
it's not hard to open a file in a chromium browser.

Attached: CRUZ.png (623x824, 123K)

Jow Forums would probably be better with out iToddlers

if implementing those standards wont generate extra revenue, hiroshima doesnt care

I brought it up because that has been the crux of the webp format, either you encoded lossy 4:2:0 with color shifting or you opted for lossless ARGB encoding altogether.

BUT with near_lossless it's now possible to encode images with higher quality than Q100 lossy webp can and on many occasions have smaller file sizes. Thus replacing the need for png crunchers altogether and thus making it the most favorable format to date.

So what you're saying is you're dead inside?

How do we it profitable for him then? I'm actually 100% willing to fork over the dough for a pass if even webp support is added.

Wouldn't it save money?

A fuckload, bandwidth costs money and 99% of users don't have passes so they have to infest the boards with ads to generate revenue which ALSO cost money to host. It's a big money sink to NOT support webp desu.

I have explained that in the Feedback function but nothing ever came out of it

H265 is far superior you fag, just is not supported by many browser don't make it an inferior codec. VP9 algorythm sucks ass with its blurry artifacts when at reasonable bitrates, but it's supported by everyone because everyone loves Google and their crap.

I feel like contacting hiroshima nagasaki is our only hope now but I don't know any moonrunes. If only we could amass an army of level 100 mega weebs to pester him until he gives in...

No, because virtually everyone (including phone users and OC creators) will continue to upload as JPEG/PNG and they won't take the severe hit to crunch every single uploaded image themselves, no matter which format you'll pick.
Apparently it's still way more profitable to offload a whole part of the traffic to crappy OVH servers, because the Cloudflare bill would still be huge.

People shun HEVC because of the patent situation. VP9 was simply the lesser evil. Crap encoder, but at least free.

What if a toddler-grade "app" was created where you could drag and drop images to be converted with either near_lossless webp or q80 lossy webp?

Don't get me wrong. I like the option as well. I'm just saying that it's pretty limited in how much you can reduce the quality to save space and that lossy optimization is nothing new and can be applied to other formats as well (even if 3rd party tools are necessary).

AV1 is even better and AVIF support is going to be on all platforms. Hell, even mspaint already supports it.

when I drag a webp onto my desktop it doesn't have a thumbnail
this displeases me

It also displeases me but it also confuses me desu.
>add webp support on edge
>don't add it to windows thumbnail and photo viewer

cnet.com/news/googles-webp-image-format-finally-finds-a-browser-ally-microsoft-edge/

yes

"dumb phoneposter" here, I can watch webm, therefore limit your argument to itoddlers thanks

He Livestreams on YouTube a lot actually and does long q&A's with Japs, so it wouldn't be impossible
Make jpg/png/gif pass only :^)
Install icaros

Speaking of webp is there any way to run the encoder directly from termux? Termux ffmpeg only supports decoding for some reason.

Attached: mpvshot0611.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

Yes, sadly.

Does imagemagick support it?

Jow Forums.org/feedback

Hiroshimoot clearly has no intention of improving the site ever again unless it starts actually generating revenue.

You can't improve on perfection

>shit formats no OS recognises are not supported
SHOCKING!

Attached: 1543945551380.png (1023x820, 73K)

APNG is an ugly hack, and I can't see what use it's supposed to have.
WebP is a neat idea, but it's based on VP8 which already double-obselete.
VP9/Opus WebM is already incredibly widely used and supported, there's zero reason for Jow Forums to disallow them.
AV1/Opus WebM isn't really a thing yet.

>APNG
dumb format, but okay
>WebP
better
>VP9
yes please
>Opus
no please god no

see
webp is on par or surpasses PNG crushers. That's pretty impressive for VP8 desu or is that not based on VP8?

VP9 would be nice with current image size limits.

No. We can't really test it either because everyone here is poor and can't afford superior phones

Jow Forums has become like those ancient big businesses, so established in its ways that its slow and cumbersome to adapt to new technologies.
Just like a bank needs a literal revolution to embrace new machines and database versions, so does Jow Forums need a king's head to fall before it literally adds another file extension to an array of permitted formats.

I often use Google images to get pictures for my posts, and I've seen a lot of WebP files. They appear to be very common online. Because they aren't supported here, I have to spend the extra 10 seconds screenshotting them, cropping them, and saving as PNG/JPEG. Think of the tens upon tens of minutes of life time I am wasting for Gookm00t's laziness.

Played around with AVIF a while back. Seemed to preform pretty well quality/size wise. It's just a shame that both Firefox and Chrome support AV1 but didn't really bother to implement AVIF yet.
A lack of easy to use encoder also sucks but somewhat understandable since the existing ones are still slow as balls for large images.

>WebP
>Quality image format

Attached: 1553192194824.jpg (497x576, 75K)

Lossless WebP isn't VP8

Right click, copy, ctrl-v into the Jow Forums-X reply form

Do you know why apple doesn’t support webm right now? It’s the same reason you can’t watch 4k videos on the youtube app.
Google created the vp9 format and switched all youtube videos over 1080p to be served as vp9 in order to try and put their open format in place of the non-free h.264 (and save bandwidth). Apple has previously stated that VP8 was too shitty, so after joining the alliance for open media they are implicitly supporting AV1 instead. The format is developed by a consortium, rather than google. This also means it is free from any patent pool issues that vp9 could technically be subject to.

bump

>half the file size of JPG
>still somehow looks better than the jpg

Attached: 802gjw.png (938x1977, 1.27M)

>super flat minimal image with small color palette
>jpg

Look, I know absolutely nothing about webp as a format other than that I know absolutely nothing about it as a format.
But I can tell you that jpg performs absolutely horribly for file sizes and quality retention under those conditions and you could do the same fucking thing with png for the same, similar or better results(which is why png is used so heavily in web applications). For an actual fair comparison that works to jpg's standard use an image with a large color palette and a lot of differentials, since that's jpg's actual fucking use case.

That said, I can also tell you that, because I have no idea what the fuck webp is, it's also some niche meme format that will never receive widespread adoption on anything semi-mainstream unless a much larger, established service makes it one of their primary formats.

What about FLIF?

DOA

Why?

>That said, I can also tell you that, because I have no idea what the fuck webp is, it's also some niche meme format that will never receive widespread adoption on anything semi-mainstream unless a much larger, established service makes it one of their primary formats.
Yup, you don't. Retard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP#Support

Attached: 1559696144981.jpg (750x746, 38K)

>t. newfag
remember the blogpost about how much it costs them to host Jow Forums? of course you don't you're straight from

AFAIK their lossy encoder could not significantly outperform webp 1.0.2 so the devs have pretty much given up now. Website is still up and running though.

"Support" as in support amongst web services.
Like image hosts. And 4chins. There's just no point in picking up support for a format when, even if it's a minimal amount of effort, no one fucking knows it exists and no one actually uses it.

Browsers have supported absurdly obscure formats because it's just a rendering engine. Widespread adoption among an industry is a completely different fucking thing.

All image formats except 100kb or less gifs should be banned from Jow Forums(nel).

There's actually a growing number of popular websites that use it now. Ebay, 9gag, toms hardware, buzzfeed, yahoo just at the top of my head. I think most websites are just waiting for apple to stop being retarded and adopt webp already.

That's just a filter that recompresses existing files to save data on compatible browsers, the same way they already compressed animated GIFs into video files before once browsers started supporting them.
Once again it only has to do with presentation, they don't give a fuck you can't open that WebP in Photoshop (the same way you can in GIMP) to make a meme.

Nope, those websites now natively use webp. 9gag and buzzfeed AFAIK use webpjs to display the webp files on apple's safari browser now. The others have lower quality JPGs for browsers without webp support.

Also there are plugins for photoshop to open and save to webp now.

telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat

Jow Forums is a shit. What is the new?

But it's a losskess format first and foremost.

seems perfectly reasonable to me, unironically

Low quality WebP sucks though. It smooths over fine details like crazy. I rather have blockiness than missing lines.

No new release for more than a year.

Their last commit was before libwebp 1.0.2 was even released. Also FLIF's lossy encoder is actually better than lossy WebP and it has the advantage that the losses are introduced by the encoder and not the compression itself (like near lossless WebP, just more efficient).
The focus probably just shifted towards FUIF.

Not compared to 1.0.2 which is why they dropped flif.

Yeah me too. It’s not great as a consumer, but AV1 should be in intel processors by 2020 so hopefully the time is nigh