/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: gnubs.jpg (1130x1194, 359K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/parameter-substitution.html
repology.org/repositories/statistics/total
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=228087
github.com/Cynede/gentoo-wsl
review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494182253539229716/595364276433190912/20190701_172446.jpg
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494182253539229716/595364294594396171/20190701_172457.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone?

>GNU/Linux
Fuck off, Linus Torvalds single handed made Linux. There is nit a single reason to call it GNU/Linux other that trying to steal credit.

that argument is as cringy and as retarded as the one you're against.

Maybe you need a compatible kernel? Not sure what that error means, try it in a search engine.

Thoughts?

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

Decent second package manager to use on Gentoo. But does not have enough packages on its own.

Nobody ever asked to call Linux GNU/Linux. Linux is the correct name for the kernel.Linus Torvalds has started developing in 1991. However, it's a good idea to call the combination of the 1983 started GNU operating system and the later added kernel Linux "GNU/Linux“ or "GNU plus Linux."

The thing is that when I tried the live usb with kubuntu it worked just fine, but now with ubuntu server it's not working.

I am honestly not surprised, but people apparently still want to use Ubuntu. Try a different version of all involved software or something, eh.

I'm making a script for handling thousands of music files.
One thing I'd like to happen is for all the files (incl the directories they're in) to be renamed so to replace all spaces with underscores, remove parentheses, apostrophes, dashes, etc.

I'm using a for loop on only the audio files themselves. Using "rename" returns an error because it tries to rename the directory before it renames the files. how 2 fix?

"rename -d" doesn't cut it since that ignores the directories completely.

Uh, obviously you only operate on the filename? Which can either be simply grabbed from your recursive for loop over the directories [typically cleaner IMO] or transmogrified from the whole path with parameter substitution or regex (do things with everything after the last directory slash).

tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/parameter-substitution.html

>Try a different version of all involved software or something, eh.
What do you mean? Everything is up to date.

The kernel / drivers from desktop ubuntu, self-compiled from git, older versions, or whatever else.

Mainly focus on the drivers and the kernel though, it's obviously most likely between these.

Linux is written by thousands of private people and dozens of corporate employees. Linux is many things. It's a money laundry, it's an ad, it's a lie, a traitor, proprietary software advocacy GPL hatred, an anti community organization, a piece of shit, bloat, nonfree software, a sack of shit every company paying for is able to put garbage to it - yes. But it is not developed by Linus Torvalds. Linus Torvalds wrote the firstlines in the 90s, but today he's the cuck of the Linux "Foundation", a company that sells proprietary software shilling via Email, Twitter, at Linux Conventions and other business meetings. Linux is a piece of proprietary shit that sells itself as free software, quoting the FSF's four freedoms without even mentioning the FSF or GNU, telling everyone the shitty kernel is a full blown operating system. And it works; the linux foundation makes multiple millions a year, a lot of money for a "non-profit", the money comping from Microsoft Facebook, Google, IBM, Oracl, etc. - and it pays people who don't even use GNU/Linux, like the board directors and chairmen, which are surprisingly Microsoft and Oracle employees.

Linux gets millions of dollars pumped into for ruling an operating system that is on reality not rule-able - but luckily normalfags believe into the propaganda that Linux is a non-profit hobby by Linus Torvalds who gave it away for free and that started started a revolution and everyone is proud to use Linux. The famous GPL project that you can't run as you wish, read the source as you wis, make changes as you wish and name copies of the changes ad you wish, because it's filled with proprietary blobs that are either straight copyrighted, only allowed for use with Linux, or without anu license at all.

Linux is one of the most successful trolls in tech history and you're an incredible huge faggotry if you defend the mischiefs it produces by giving it more credit then it deserves,.

Attached: 1561994982122.png (720x1033, 105K)

Thank you, Richard.

I admit that I am totally wrong. It is indeed GNU/Linux, as it should be.

Everything I am I owe to you. Without the generous, benevolent work of you and the FSF, I would be flipping hamburgers in Helsinki.

I am not even worthy of washing your feet with my tongue.

Thank you for correcting my disgraceful errors.

Love,
L.

OK, how can I check which drivers come preinstalled with the desktop version?

>Xorg/suckless/apache/GNOME/mpv/GNU/Linux
fuck off

Probably "hwinfo". Suggesting to save the output like
hwinfo > muhspecs.txt

Then you can compare that to the setup that currently is not working and start making changes.

Hurd really can't come soon enough. We really need an alternative kernel to finally be able to run GNU without Linux, and at the same time not being cucked by the BSD license.

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

Attached: 1495651590478.jpg (399x266, 13K)

The Linux kernel had far more work put into it than GNU, so I guess that's the principal developer.

dilate

Yeah, of the kernel. The rest of the software hasn't ever been touched by Linux developers.
And why do you specify "Linux _kernel_"? "Linux" alone already means the kernel, by definition.

The GNU kernel*

Can you milk a gnu?

Nice gnoobies

>tfw gnuoobs ignore my pull request

Today, while surfing, I've ended up at the Wikipedia and Wikiquote entries on Nelson Mandela (if you don't know this guy, it's worth reading). However, while reading, I had a lot of fum imaging he's talking about tech. Have some fake news, that made me smile.

>The truth is that we are not yet free; we have merely achieved the freedom to be free, the right not to be oppressed. We have not taken the final step of our journey, but the first step on a longer and even more difficult road. For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others. The true test of our devotion to freedom is just beginning.
— Nelson Mandela, Why we need GPL version 3

>I knew as well as I knew anything that the oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed. A man who takes away another man's freedom is a prisoner of hatred, he is locked behind the bars of prejudice and narrow-mindedness. I am not truly free if I am taking away someone else's freedom, just as surely as I am not free when my freedom is taken from me. The oppressed and the oppressor alike are robbed of their humanity.
— Nelson Mandela, on permissive licensing

>Difficulties break some men but make others.
— Nelson Mandela, after asking his Mom to cancel the next meetings

Attached: 1561997210404.jpg (720x920, 69K)

Just ask nicely.

Attached: 1561997319784.jpg (600x363, 33K)

Is there a one line CLI command that will change the file dialog in firefox be dolphin in KDE?

If you only knew the depth of the misery you just stepped into.

Attached: 1498702763493.jpg (500x501, 83K)

swear tere soem soemthing like echo EXPORT GTK_PORTAL_SOME=1 >> ~/.something

install
kde
xdg-desktop-portal
xdg-desktop-portal-kde
>eye red sum wear that exporting the variable into the wild can fuck up thunderbird.

Attached: ssr-2019-07-01_09.34.34.webm (1680x1050, 2.62M)

The Linux kernel project also develops a bunch of userspace tools to test or make use of functionality of the kernel (under the "tools" directory of the kernel source) as well as a set of utilities (util-linux) that despite the name are not necessarily specific to the Linux kernel, but are still an essential part of providing POSIX/SUS compatibility which is not covered by GNU's *utils suites or other basic tools, such as sbase or Busybox.

should I use AMD's opensource drivers or AMD's proprietary drivers for Linux off their website? I've read conflicting things about which one to use.

Open source driver, and from your package manager.

Busybody is not a replacement. If you ever tried it, you'd knew.

Proprietary of course. What are you, a GNU hippie?

More competition is always better but I highly doubt we'll have a functioning hurd in the next decade, it's pretty much dead atm.

Get out fagget

Attached: 1523461111201.jpg (387x461, 24K)

>AMD provides a proprietary, binary userland driver called AMDGPU PRO, which works on top of the open-source AMDGPU kernel driver.
porque no las dos?

Attached: PastComposedEnglishsetter-poster.jpg (1920x1080, 94K)

Just enable autoscrolling in [settings > general] of firefox settings.

Attached: CopyQ.gxWQjR.png (376x97, 10K)

It went v0.9 last year. At the current speed of people working in their free time, we could have the first beta in ~4years. That's without adding the afford guix people are discussing right now.

Why has there never been a GNU/XNU version? I was thinking XNU is free software. Are there any problems with it or did just never anyone bother trying?

then I hope I'm wrong

any way to do this with chromium?

Well, a working kernel doesn't mean anyting through. The real problem will be getting hardware support and since GNU people will stand straight for free software, companies will just ignore it, and in the rare case that someone really is drunk enough to release a firmware source, they'd rather donate it to Linux.

Stop using the google botnet.
No reason Hurd couldn't port it.

ungoogled-chromium

Hey lads, is there any decent CAD software for Linux? I'm having trouble getting anywhere, unfortunately. I need to be able to view, manipulate, and modify CAD data like you would in Netfabb.

Attached: milton-erickson.jpg (400x500, 47K)

im trying to set up a root cron
it keep changing the user it runs as from root to debian-exim
the first command it runs is cd /dir/dir/dir but when i save it changes to /home/user/cd /dir/dir/dir

>have no disk space
>gnome crashes
>blank screen every time you reboot
>no indication of what the actual problem could be

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Attached: 1514784481656.gif (480x480, 1.39M)

imagine still arguing about this shit in 2019

anyone uding postfix? i just need 1 or 2 emails, no db or webmail, any tips?

When the issue hasn't yet been clarified, there isn't anything strange about it.

say that to our faces and not online and see what happens

Attached: 1561986138840.jpg (1032x605, 158K)

>repology.org/repositories/statistics/total
>sort by total packages
lol
and nixpkgs (even unstable) is all CI'd and only pulls are only accepted if they pass, unlike AUR

The problem is *most* people use the linux kernel in conjunction with GNU software. If and when they get disjointed by some popular projects you will begin to see the argument disappear. Because essentially at present it is mostly a glass half full half empty situation.

is there a way to mute HDMI audio when i plug my headphones in? i'm trying to avoid pulseaudio if possible. and yes, this is on a multi-monitor setup.

why hasn't linus split linux into libre only by default and branches with proprietary crap you can add on top

$ alsamixer

yeah, but it doesn't happen automatically. besides, i needed to edit asoundrc just to get HDMI audio to work in the first place.

usually happens automatically if your card has the automute capabilities
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=228087

How do I download latte dock git on opensuse?

Posts like this are actually helpful; it brings GNU again and again and again back to topic - which is pretty cool since it reminds the old community how eveything started, and helps new users shaping their minds.

Attached: 1504522586126.png (892x895, 120K)

I've no idea why repology counts the AUR. It's a) not an official repo, b) nothing but wrappers for git clone.

What's the IRC client I should use in 2019?

Is there some headless daemon i can run on my server that i can then run some headless apk on my android that allows me to copy/paste in both directions?

Is there some offline text to voice converter that will take sentences and prodices a wav/mp3 from them?

Was watching youtube when suddenly the browser hardlocked for about a minute causing both video and audio lockups.About a minute later the audio came back but the browser was locked and took no mouse or keyboard input and the video player frame was locked.
Had to xkill it
Checked the log and its flooded with the following
Is my nic dead?
sky2 0000:04:00.0: error interrupt status=0x40000008
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 1192
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 1000
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 408
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 860
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: tx timeout
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: transmit ring 105 .. 2 report=2 done=2
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 108
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex, flow control both
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 900
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: tx timeout
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: transmit ring 127 .. 18 report=18 done=18
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: rx error, status 0x7ffc0001 length 100
sky2 0000:04:00.0 eth0: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex, flow control both

wechat, irssi

ssh, nextcloud,, espeak

>ssh
Not a solution
>nextcloud
Cloud server. Not a solution
>espeak
You can barely make out what it says. A synth from the 60's would have better quality
Not a solution

Because he's always been a faggot who doesn't care about that stuff, since the beginning.
In his opinion "freedom" includes the freedom to take freedom away from others, and he isn't against businesses which do that.
Some people like Torvalds are of the opinion that that's "more free", but they're horribly misguided.

In these troubled times I find more and more that there's only 1 group who I can actually trust to have my best interests at heart when it comes to computers and software, and that's GNU.

>when you finally get gentoo installed but only because you entered some emerge commands that you have no idea what they actually did

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 29K)

So I'm attempting to run DeepNude but this awful message comes up:

Error loading Python lib '/home/user/Descargas/DN/DeepNude_Linux_v2.0.0/main/libpython3.6m.so.1.0': dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /home/user/Descargas/DN/DeepNude_Linux_v2.0.0/main/libpython3.6m.so.1.0)

I already tried to use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable with the required glibc version, but for some reason Python refuses to use it. I also tried to clumsily replace all the conflicting libraries with Debian versions but then I get:

zipimport.ZipImportError: can't find module 'encodings'

Any idea? Updating Glibc is obviously not possible and the next version of Debian comes with Glibc 2.27.

topkek, didn't know this was another episode of "name my band"

github.com/Cynede/gentoo-wsl

You're not a solution.

it's bretty fucking stupid

opensuse tumbleweed, how do I know when it's 'safer' to upgrade? I'm not worried just want to avoid the hassle of reverting a snapshot
this last update review.tumbleweed.boombatower.com/ shows 20 bugs so should I wait for the next one?

is it normal that even native games such as civ V and cs go run like shit on linux even though they were getting twice the fps on windows on same graphical settings
inb4 muh games

Reminder that GNU is not an operating system.
An operating system, by definition, should manage hardware, which GNU doesn't.

GNU is the name of a project to create an operating system.

just read their Wiki, it's really good for learning stuff.
you could just use clover to make an basic installation and configure it afterwards thou
the stuff i have tried worked just fine, are you sure you have installed the right drivers for your hardware?
we will always talk about linux when talking about the whole thing IRL.

normal for games with actual linux support ? no. usually worse case is ~25-30% worse with some games being single digit better than windows in some specific instances.

I love debian, however I'm having some issues with the packages being too old. On the surface debian testing/buster RC2 seems to work great on my lil home server.

Am I retarded for wanting to install Debian Testing on my home server? I haven't used Linux long enough to know if this is a good idea or not

I would just stick with Buster once its released, I just don't want to have to manually compile a ton of packages then remove them and have everything fall apart once it comes out. Or use something that has big ol security holes

Attached: tcat.png (563x429, 347K)

if you absolutely don't plan to expose it to the internet, use whatever you want. why wouldn't you use stable though?

Tell you what, create a distro with absolutely no GNU software, then you can say that and have a solid leg to stand on. And I'm not even going to be a pedantic cunt and tell you that you have to do it without any of the software being released under the GNU General Public License, as that would be impossible since the very thing that makes Linux, Linux is the kernel which is released under GPLv2.

I actually agree with you and I can't fucking stand rms and his insistence on having his name plastered over more of the OS than it already is with so much of it being released under GPLv2/v3, but you're fighting a losing battle until someone actually builds a reliable, usable distro without any GNU shit.

This includes the freedom to call it whatever the fuck I want. I'm going to call it Pissbucket/Linux from now on.

alpine leenocks, a linux bistro built on musl libc and busybox

is it possible to split the panels horizontally with dolphin? (with one on top and the other under it)

pulse audio is more obsolete than X11

So after deleting my windows partitions (and the efi one.. OOPS), I'm still trying to get to booting.
I've created a new efi partition and installed grub on it, and I get the grub terminal now when I turn on my machine. Using set root, linux, initrd, and boot I can get to the ubuntu emergency mode terminal.
I was told to look for errors, and these are the ones I found (2 more are cut off in addition to a "can't find UEFI db file):
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494182253539229716/595364276433190912/20190701_172446.jpg
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494182253539229716/595364294594396171/20190701_172457.jpg
Are these important? What can I do to fix them if so?

I actually like pulse (feature wise) but as I understand it, under the hood, it's quite ugly.
If true, then it should be replaced. So should X though.

I'm running Radarr in a docker container and have a nfs share passed through to it. This being the folder movies are stored in. After 5-10 hours of running the mount point becomes stale and I have to restart the docker container. Is there any logs that would inform me why this shit is happening? The network connection is stable, the boxes are never turned off. I have a docker running almost duplicate software (Sonarr) going for months without issue.

Does anyone know how to get proper Guile syntax highlighting in emacs (or even vim)?
They just use a generic Scheme syntax highlighter which misses a LOT of Guile specific syntax, and it's starting to really annoy me when super common functions are all just white on black with no color to distinguish the functions from the arguments and such.

So not to sound odd but I'm tired of my brothers wasting away their money on Fortnite so I'm going to nuke their windows install (obviously backing up the important parts.) but what would be the best Distro to give to 2 children to learn about computers in the more general sense? Outside of Arch Linux anyway which, whilst would be pretty funny to have them build from scratch, I feel like it'd be cruel.

any suggestions Anons?

That's rude and a bad idea overall.

Ubuntu????