Optane DIMMs for consumers fucking when

Attached: 590535-intel-optane-dc-persistent-memory-640x360.jpg (640x360, 27K)

hopefully never. Why would you want slower RAM with limited write cycles?

Why?

To run OS and all my software from it.

I'm pretty sure you can get persistent DIMMs from other brands already, and you can make RAM drives in software too. There's also always Puppy Linux.

Imagine being this bugman.

OPTANE?

MORE LIKE

FLOPTANE

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

that's stupid!

Optane is pointless, just get an SSD.

I use an intel 660p and Samsung 2TB EVO, haven't used a hard drive in years except for my NAS.

but SSDs are slow and have horrible latencies compared to optane!

much like Optane is slow and has horrible latency compared to DRAM?

the one and only use case for optane is people running enormous databases where they can't actually manage to get enough DRAM (or enough DRAM on one socket, for NUMA/locality reasons...) to fit the whole thing in.

what about the full chain of stacked memory? cpu cache > dram > optane > ssd > hhd? shouldn't it be the holy grail?

lol

this

dont do this again

just get ECC ram and use standby

you're probably going to be better off just spending the money on additional RAM, and/or on a system with more channels of it.

Is NVMe not fast enough?

that would be pretty fuken slow

let's add more places where things can go wrong

What's the advantage of Optane supposed to be? I thought it died a while ago.

The DIMM version of it is for people buying servers who look at, say, 768GB per socket and think "That's really not enough memory for what we're trying to do here".

The killer feature is that Intel can add special support on Intel processors only and stay nominally competitive even while their processors lag behind in performance and value.

>A final but essential point that Intel's competitive team underscores is that Intel versus AMD is not just a chip-to-chip matchup. Intel's unique strengths lie in the unequalled breadth of our overall portfolio across business, mobile, desktop, gaming-as well as platform advantages including Optane memory, WiFi, Thunderbolt, Turbo Boost 2.0, and other technologies.