What was your worst tech purchase?

What was your worst tech purchase?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-02-19-04-40-631_com.whatsapp.png (1080x2340, 1.07M)

hp stream laptop
just buy a used thinkpad if you want a laptop under $300

x1 carbon 3rd generation. the customization page didn't specify that one of the screen options was a shitty TN panel. it was a shitty TN panel. it's a fucking horrible display on a $2000 laptop. I'm still mad that they did that. I thought it was a low power IPS and got it for better battery life. I got by far my biggest regret purchase in tech. I remember the sinking feeling when I first booted it up and realized it was a pile of garbage.

Intel

Gaymen laptop i bought for university. Holy shit, what a piece of trash, screen delay, keyboard ghosting, dead battery, processor throttling even after fresh paste reapplication...
Now I have a PC but i don't play games as much anymore, and I am going to buy some cheap used Thinkpad for programming during my weekends on farm.
Never ever buy a gaming laptop.

razer deathstalker

Every device except my S10 5G.

buying two ram kits that where different.

pic related

I'll never understand what it is that lures high school and early college kids to buying gaming laptops, but for some reason it seems tons of nerds go through that phase and learn the same lesson on how fucking useless gaming laptops are

They wanna play games and their parents or their loans will pay for it so they splurge on a gaming laptop.
These are the ones who were shoved into college by their parents without any goals or even a major, it's really common.

Mechanical keyboard.

yea the thing is for the price of a gaming laptop you can get a real gaming desktop and an ultralight notebook

which one

I go back to my parents farm every weekend, so i thought I could have a mobile PC in a form of gaming laptop. You never know how useless a gaming laptop is until you get one and use it, the producer will never tell you about ghosting, delays, throttling etc.

I stupidly bought few things from Razer. Everything they make is complete shit.

what drove me was good price / power ratio
but holy fuck i've regretted it so many times
- shit chipset
- shit build quality
- shit battery life
- gaymen gpu that i dont even use most of the time

The lure is the gaming meme itself, an unfulfilling time sink that wastes male youth when it is primed to go out and compete for women, make money, build a career and/or family, and make their mark on the world. Pissed into the ditch of some over-marketed consumerist shit-code full of sunk cost sims and dopamine treadmills.

An iPhone 4 a few days after launch. Never touching anything applel made after the PPC Macs ever again.

Like people in this thread talked about, I fell victim for the going-off-to-college gaming laptop buy. Barely even used it outside my room because the design was embarrassing, battery eventually expanded because I couldnt take it out easily and it just sat on the charger all day as a shitty desktop replacement. Now I just use a used thinkpad and mid preforming gayming PC and it's the best of both worlds

2nd worse purchase - phone without a headphone jack. Thankfully it single handily made me stop using my phone as much so I got better sleep instead of sitting bed listening to music for hours before I slept

Attached: dab.png (843x718, 448K)

and yet every day we'll continue to see gaming laptop recommendation posts and OPs ignoring everybody lol

stax

Xbox 360 HDDVD player about 2 months before Universal changed to bluray and the format was cancelled.

I remember first year I was part of a study group and one of the guys brought his 10kg gaming laptop to it lol, it was the weight of like 4 textbooks. next year he had a new lightweight thinkpad

Vega 56 for $300

gaming laptop, it has some real good benefits like while on a trip or something
but honestly if you really need to waste time or wanting to play some games, just play some fun low power required games on a normal laptop, also man are the screen sizes horrible. not to mention they generally look god awful .

Odroid Xu4. Has weird, basically broken I/O issues on all sd-cards(tried like 10, almost all quite high quality that are flawless in everything including other sbc's.) Too lazy to really investigate or get money back.
Gaymen laptop in 2007ish. I think its pretty common to see people make this mistake once. Takes a tard to do it twice and its rare you see it.

This is mine

>This shit somehow got 9-10/10 from every single reviewer
>Decide to get it
>Touchpad feels flimsy as fuck and gets stuck
>Keyboard backlight disappears every 3 seconds
>Screen brightness is pathetic, can't use outdoors or even in brightly lit room
>Cooling is TERRIBLE, fans run loud even when browsing Jow Forums
>Charging overheats it, so the fans will run at max and you get thermal throttling every time the charger is plugged in
>Seriously, I cannot stress enough how loud this thing is, it's like a fucking jet engine in my room whenever I'm charging

FUCK
THIS
LAPTOP

Attached: Huawei Matebook.jpg (999x562, 81K)

HTC Touch Diamond. Went through six replacements and every single one eventually slowed to the point of being inoperable as a basic phone. I remember the first taking literally one week to boot up.

dumb boomer

>buying a ching chong laptop.

He fell for it guys

everything is made in china

It's hard to appreciate the tradeoffs you're making if you don't experience how terrible the experience of owning a gaming laptop is first-hand.
Speaking as somebody who used a gaming laptop in university. In one of my orientation lectures one of the student reps was literally like "here's a tip, buy a small laptop". Oh how I wish I'd have listened to him.

it's just one of those mistakes everybody has to make for themselves

I actually had a pretty bad moment when I finished building my first PC
It was like, "this is my life now?", it felt like I had just sentenced myself to forever being a shutin loser

A laptop with an i5 processor, a month before the latest security flaw was discovered.

Yeah, just think. You could have been out, playing WoW in public, with your plugged in laptop and mouse you need to bring with you all the time while your left hand gets uncomfortably hot.

Honestly it's sad how many kids fall for the gaming meme

>just spend 4000 hours getting good at a competitive esport bro lol

When I switched from my trusty Macbook Pro to a Microsoft laptop... never again

I bought a matebook D with a rysen 5, worst purchase ever, loud, hot, bad IPS screen, battery life is shit. I sent it back to Amazon.

I just don't see what is so bad about gaming laptops. Pretty much any laptop that isn't a $1000 business machine is currently marketed towards gamers.

I needed aa computer that would run most day to day shit decently fast for about 7-8 years, and thay I could use for some light gaming from time to time. My old laptop had trouble running Windows 7 smoothly for gods sake.
The thing is, I also needed a machine I could bring to uni from time to time (although I usually take notes on paper) and that I could take with mewhen visiting family during weekends/vacation. For that I would need a non-shit laptop which means at least $200.
I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so that would leave about $400 for the computer. For that much I could have built a computer about as powerful as the $600 laptop I ended up getting, bit without the hassle of having multiple machines.

toss up between my GTX 970 and my 4690K

HP Pavillion DV9000
$2300 for Nvidia bumpgate

It's not a purchase, rather a temporary acquisition:
My physical body.
The sooner I rid myself of this thing the better.
I deserve to be in control of my existence, not be subjected to this will violating bullshit.

Attached: BRUCE-LEE-1024x645.jpg (1024x645, 122K)

Gaymer laptop

An overpriced entry level samsung 4k tv.

Neither do I user, I'm still rocking my inspiron 7559 which works just fine. Though if I did just hold on for another year I would have gotten a laptop with at least a 120 hz display.

same with the headphone jack-less phone. When I went to buy a new phone the saleswoman showed me several without the headphone jack and I asked if they had any with a headphone jack and she dared to talk back to me and say "why not just go full bluetooth?" well BECAUSE, BITCH, THERE ARE WAY MORE SITUATIONS IN MY LIFE WHERE I NEED A FUCKING HEADPHONE JACK FOR EXAMPLE MY COMPUTER AND MY LAPTOP AND LITERALLY EVERY OTHER DEVICE IN MY HOUSE THAT DOESN'T SUPPORT BLUETOOTH I DROPPED $100 ON A QUALITY PAIR OF EARBUDS THAT I CAN USE ANYWHERE WHY THE FUCK WOULD I SWITCH TO BLUETOOTH AND SPEND MONEY ON ANOTHER PAIR OF HEADPHONES JUST FOR ONE DEVICE THAT REFUSES TO ADD A HEADPHONE JACK OH JUST CARRY THE DONGLE YOU SAY YEAH LIKE IM NOT GOING TO LOSE THAT SHIT IN 3 FUCKING SECONDS I HAD THIS PHONE FOR 2 YEARS THINKING I CAN LIVE WITHOUT A HEADPHONE JACK AND THE AMOUNT OF TIMES IVE BEEN IN PUBLIC WISHING I COULD LISTEN TO SOME MUSIC BUT MY BLUETOOTH FUCKING HEADPHONES THAT I WASTED MONEY ON ARE OUT OF BATTERIES AND ALL I HAVE ON ME ARE THESE FUCKING WIRED HEADPHONES THAT I USE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE BUT CANNOT BE PLUGGED INTO MY PHONE IS FUCKING STAGGERING YOU FUCKING WHORE JUST LET ME USE MY HEADPHONES THAT I SPENT GOOD MONEY ON BEFORE RECOMMENDING ME AN OVERPRICED PHONE THAT BREAKS WHEN YOU DROP IT FROM .3 INCHES YOU PIECE OF SHIT STARBUCKS DRINKING CUNT SELLING ME A $800 PHONE WITHOUT A HEADPHONE JACK

Attached: ndnnnf46lrzy.jpg (750x1334, 60K)

Probably a schiit jotunheim.
It's fine, but I really didn't need it.

A thinkpad X220. It runs hot as fuck, the fan is loud and reapplying thermal paste and replacing the fan did nothing. A solid meme computer for people who must be deaf.

*people lacking foresight / insight
No. You have isolated society from you. They are the ones deprived of your magnificence, and they can only blame themselves for the way they have treated you.

Attached: 1562079647175.jpg (410x374, 25K)

Asus Zenfone.

I bought two ubiquiti gateways, an edgeguard and a cloud key when a $100 Asus router would have done the same job.

Shouldn't have bought linears

none. i only buy apple.

Based

I like my gayman laptop. I bought it for specs and nothing else really. The chassis is garbage and the plastic is complete shit, but the point was to have a portable workstation that could actually do some number crunching, and that's what I got. That being said I was on a budget and needed something I could do MATLAB/ultra dense point-cloud work with, without being slow as shit in front of clients. If I had more money at the time I would've gone for something with the same specs, but a non-shit build, but there is a market for these laptops outside of gayman.

did you cheap out on the components or something? I have a custom built sager and it's great.

Based and iChad pilled.

All-in-one liquid cooler.
Had the pump stop working within 3 months.

Peak form over function. Except that I think big heatsinks look better anyway because they fill up the otherwise empty case (unless you're using aio because of sff space reasons, then it is permissible).
Imagine paying more for a part that's louder, cools worse, has more modes of failure, and worse modes of failure.

I have never met someone on the internet who needs a girlfriend as much as you do

>get a girlfriend and have sex
Why would you suggest that I insert my penis into a creature that has literal shit inside them.
They walk around with poop inside their body, and they don't even seem to mind.

Attached: everyone-poops_o_2970645.jpg (800x567, 173K)

My first mech.
It was razer blackwidow tournament edition. It was extremely unreliable. Costar stabilizers were dead after just a few months, keycaps were loose from the start, and the switches... The most unreliable switches you could ever find.
Now I have my custom mech for around 300-350 bucks and I'm happy with it

this thing
>fucking massive, its size rivals the original xbox
>usb hub is hard to reach, stuck at usb1.0 speeds, barely can power an usb stick
>backlit is so dim even your monitor illuminates your non-backlit keyboard better
>macro keys are hard to reach and at most time very useless
>the screen is just an gimmick, barely had any software support and it was slow to refresh so it was very inaccurate to use as and FPS temp or cpu/gpu usage counter
>media keys and volume wheel are hard to reach, and the wheel becomes non-smooth after some usage
>keys themselves are membrane, and not even any better than generic $1 keyboard
Luckily I bought mine second-hand for cheap, otherwise I would have committed suicide with it

Attached: 1280px-Logitech_Gaming-Keyboard_G15.jpg (1280x651, 150K)

Jow Forums Pass

Just kidding I would never buy such garbage

Lenovo yoga 730.
Light as fuck and use it for note-taking in classes.
The screen has broken 2 times for half year of use, and shit battery life and absolutely garbage build quality.

Gonna get ThinkPad instead.

Attached: 146380-laptops-review-lenovo-yoga-730-15-inch-review-image1-dypzo3fik5.jpg (970x644, 107K)

Used thinkpad t61p because I had to replace the motherboard twice because the novideo chip failed both times. A couple years ago the chip on the third one started acting up so I threw the thing in a drawer and haven’t touched it since.

A fucking Netbook in first place.
Followed by an iPod Touch 8GB.
Third place goes to my Lumia 925 (amazing build and photo quality paired with terrible software).

Logitech G603 wireless mouse, but only because the scroll wheel managed to shit itself twice.

>What was your worst tech purchase?
Ticwatch Pro

Logitech G Pro keyboard
what a piece of shit
at least the mouse is good

What do you do? Blast tons of fluid up there and suck it all out with a vacuum until there's no shit left?

Well, glad I didn't fall for it. Gaming on laptop doesn't look comfy anyway, unless it's some turn based strategy game or something.

did she died?

>my first mech

Attached: bushwacker.jpg (264x191, 7K)

ooh shit I remember that. I always wanted one, but then I remembered that I have an DIN4 sized Wacom tablet and I don't have any room for that. Also lack of money.

Razer chroma, there are keyboards of the same quality for half the price

My first keyboard and mouse kit, which was the Cooler Master Devastator

Based.

'Gaming laptops' are just laptops with higher spec choices aren't they? To varying degrees obviously.
You're the one getting hung up on terminology.
It's fine to want a budget workhorse, but higher refresh rates, resolutions, GPU, CPU etc are the same considerations as building a desktop pc.
What's so hard to understand exactly?

Yeah, they should be stressed out constantly and wondering what the next thing is they could do to help the elite powers have their fun.

Das keyboard model s. Maybe mechanicals aren't my thing the keys are sensitive as fuck and I can't seem to adjust my typing to it. Paid 50 dollars for it at least.

Two mechanical keyboards, they fucking suck.

A chromebook and a Canon eos 550d. I'll regret them till I die.

Attached: 1530924774510.gif (294x342, 492K)

ryzen for gaming

Antech 600W psu
I have to flick the switch of it for a splitsecond or otherwise the pc won't boot properly. According to Google it's a know issue that starts after some time

goaway incel shill

I'm so glad I returned this laptop when I had the chance. All I remember is that the screen bezels were held on by glue because they were starting to unstick from the screen.

Panasonic flatscreen TV, PSU died the moment I plugged it in a second time.

I fell for the g19 model back when I was fourteen and stupid.
At least it lasted me eight years but now that I have a proper mechanical keyboard I've realized just how terrible the Logitech keyboard was in that price category.

Attached: 495296_1__34257-1.jpg (1280x1280, 137K)

got a laptop with an i5 7300hq/1050/8gb ram and it just eorks, having a laptop to take take over to a friend's house is nice, battery life is good with the igpu, no throttling, also wanted it for summer vacation

Designed in china != made in china

any fucking laptop i bought with windows on it
worse purchase = "windows", cos every single one I blow away, install an OS on it -- write to manufacturer (have written to dell several times, asking for refund, because I don't use windows) - no response

i bought pic related but have no one to talk to ;_;

Attached: 29834764732.jpg (451x679, 33K)

Can't you just buy an IPS panel for it? Surely it's not glued to the front glass?

forgot to mention, got it for uni

I Was alone in paris my phone died no pc i bought a used phone because i Was cheap ass and it was a lg G4 facepalm Because bootloop never buy a lg phone

my cs degree