It is possible to get a job in IT without an university degree?

it is possible to get a job in IT without an university degree?

Attached: 1561465.jpg (320x180, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, I don't even have an A+ and I'll being interviewed for system administrator. It's all about your connections with people already in the field

if you genuinely enjoy it and have a passion for it yes is possible

I didn’t even finish high school. I started making minimum wage in a remote support place and started writing powershell scripts.

6 years later I’m making 110k doing cloud infrastructure/devils work

Was it hard? Yes. You’ll get out of your career the same amount you put in. It’s very rewarding though, overcoming the odds and being “self made”. I get asked about it in my interviews and people seem generally impressed with the self taught, driven nature.

Devops* not “devils” even though automation generally feels like the devils work sometimes.

Network with people who have good jobs and you'll eventually get something. If you can't do that, I don't know how you would land so much as an interview cold. I've never been hired by anyone in 20+ years of employment, whom I didn't already have some kind of personal connection to, even if it was as distant as friend of a friend. You have to know people and be able to talk with them. Then you can go about proving to them you're worth hiring.

>neo-Jow Forums will fall for this bait

Sure you can, just have family ties with your future boss or suck his dick (maybe both).

I almost did

Yes if you have sex

what if you don't but you have a degree?

then why fucking live even?
>inb4 chinese cartoon wives

yes
self thought programmer

just fuckin lie on your resume and say you have a degree to get past first round. nobody bothers to check or follow up with transcripts after that if you pass the whiteboard interview.

>Sterkowitz
Stopped reading there

yes, i was a welder for 2 years before landing a business support role, then call center, then junior software tester. making like 50k $ pps

Been doing it for about three years. I start my second programming job in a few weeks. I had four job offers from my interviewing and got to go with the most fun sounding one.

what is bait about it ? at my company our starting positions are basically unskilled labor rates and if you hit all your promotions within 6 years you can make that much (6 figures). even an average tech can double their salary within 3 years without even trying too hard.

The only thing that is inaccurate is that we require a high school diploma / GED at a minimum.

I'm not OP dumbass

This then begs the question, how does one acquire these in-field connections without already being in the field?

friends retard

>friends

Attached: 1561048721441.gif (640x277, 11K)

You need a degree anywhere even somewhat relevant short of nepotism or being a woman/minority

have sex (with friends)

Yes, it's possible.
No, not for you.

Yes.
is full of shit. You don’t need connections, you need to be demonstrably good. I could walk into any company and get a job because I know what the fuck I’m talking about.

>then why fucking live even?
There is no reason to live no matter what you do.

>minority
i always hear this but i never see people being hired on merits of skin color alone.
Otherwise american tech companies would be 50% black and mexican by now, there would be a gold rush-tier movement of people back into california to reap the rewards if this was in any way true.

>it is possible to get a job in IT without an university degree?

No, because you will be rejected in favor of a pangender lesbian, parolee nigger, or a pajeet with an H1B visa

>people who have never held a job giving job advice
>these same people will continue to be jobless and then give advice to other jobless neets
great fucking job, no really
you're doing everyone a great service

>i always hear this but i never see people being hired on merits of skin color alone.
>Otherwise american tech companies would be 50% black and mexican by now,

Here's a hint: Pajeets get placement from H1B's and at the same time check off all the diversity paperwork

They're being hired on account of being modern day indentured servants.
They get free room and board and won't leave or insubordinate for fear of getting sent back to india, they won't be poached either.
They don't even see their own paychecks, they get mailed back to their families in india, and you don't have to give them full-time employment benefits if they work there less than 5 years.

lie! LIE ON YOUR RESUME! i'm not going to sit here an justify why you should, but you should. companies are not out to hire you for your beneift. they don't give a shit about you. so fuck them. lie on your resume. say you got a degree in computer science or software engineering at some flyover state university. they won't care. on the off chance they ask for proof, say that you accepted a job offer elsewhere. foolproof method and you will get a job assuming you ACTUALLY KNOW how to program

Attached: 1530142667070.jpg (249x249, 41K)

oh and it should be said pick a school where they can't just call and ask if you attended (which will hopefully be made illegal soon). based universities giving away your private information to anyone who asks for it. BASED! only a quarter of a million dollars for such a service!!

Attached: 6c5aedcecf7ae37a7015e461f460c2c2af35d4f49ae554104105747e1652a32a.png (450x250, 43K)

Most stuff on your resume is hard to verify, college degrees are not.
You really think they can't call and ask?
Enjoy being blacklisted, those are a real thing btw, and they're regional.

>You really think they can't call and ask?
see my second post
also, do you know how minimal the chances of that happening are? if they even debate needing to do that, they will just straight up not bother hiring you
the fake resume gets you the whiteboard interview, where you demonstrate you know how to code. at that point, the resume including the degree is literally irrelevant
pop quiz: did you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (if you're an ameribro) to go to university, for nothing?
>yes

>Enjoy being blacklisted, those are a real thing btw, and they're regional.
oh no, i will be banned from silicon valley! where will i get my (Glycine max)-based starbucks lattes now? the company i work for might not even have a game room! fuck off nigger

Attached: 1557441588628.jpg (600x610, 51K)

>has been a NEET for the last ten years

I just started a job doing IT infrastructure at a publicly traded company with thousands of employees. I have never done helpdesk and I don't have a degree.

this is the actual answer. If you have a homelab that is respectable put it on your resume, easy win with the technical interviewer.

I know a ton of people who have no college degree, myself included.

>too poor for big name school do IT in Community College for 2 years, had HS degree though
>get some certs during my time there
>apply for literally any job out there, pulled call center style helpdesk for 2 years
>kept self study and certing
>Apply for Jr. Systems Admin, luckily enough to get in from work and other volunteer shit at my college
>paid like shit but built out my resume working for about 42.5k(pretty good for my area at the time)
>moved over to Sr. Systems Admin 2 years after
>got decent pay bump
>now have good resume, certs, and job.of 4 years and 2 smaller jobs with 2 years exp.

I don't even list education on my resume anymore, after 8 years exp it's pretty much un-needed unless I go to some mega office job. Though most all my contacts for offers come via linkedin connections now that most people are just looking at my employed status and certs/skills/endorsements.

You just need to know when to change jobs if you lack a degree and don't think your first 4 years will be paying any more than average wage

Yes I have an arts degree lol

go to uni, especially if you're under 30 with no real responsibilities. i dropped out of highschool, went to community college and transferred to a top 1% uni. you can do it

Not OP but
>been applying for jobs
>no responses for a long bit
>check ProtonMail
>see many follow up emails and 4 where I can schedule my email from 3 weeks ago
>ProtonMail app didn't give me notifications
FUCK

Yes my friend didn't even go to college at all, now works as a sys admin, earning $150k/yr.

On the other hand, I went to a top 100 college and got my degree in IT and still have not found my first career job in IT. It has been 10+ years since I've graduated from college and I've updated my skills since then but still can't even get my foot into the door.

I've been doing it all wrong so I'm going to lie on my resume and take out the fact that I went to college and earned degree. I will just put down some random jobs with some random skills and see where that will take me.

Wish me luck anons!

>I went to a top 100 college and got my degree in IT and still have not found my first career job in IT. It has been 10+ years since I've graduated from college

what the actual fuck have you been doing all this time?

Idk user. If somebody who knew what they were talking about walked into the company I work at, the company would kick them out and bury it's head in the sand and pretend that we aren't doing everything wrong.

They hire disabled monkeys to fill help desk

cio.com/article/3309059/more-tech-companies-drop-college-degree-requirement.html

>be from EU
>join my country facebook group for developers
>every day there is a multiple job offerings for all sorts of positions with nice pay and offices, benefits, vacation, etc..
>none of them require college and explicitly state it doesn't matter
>people/developers in this group and most job recruiters are also bashing the companies that require college degree and stating how retarded it is to require it
>everyone is basically saying that if a company requires you to have a college degree, they are behind wooden spoon and shouldn't even be looked at
>nobody gives a shit, until you can do the job

I understand big corporations and very peculiar financial institutions won't take anyone in if you aren't from top uni, but if you want a comfy life in a smaller company with free drinks, good pay and all sorts of bonuses and so on.. then you have all the doors open waiting for you, if you can do your shit actually.

Maybe I'm just lucky it's so in my country and I know a handful of other devs in the industry and all of them are in this "college isn't required, if you can do your job" culture/mentality. I also went to CS uni and there's just so many bad people you won't even believe. I'd rather take someone who has specialized in a certain thing, rather than CS faggot that knows one thousand things very bad and can't build shit. Not saying there aren't good programmers born in uni, but 95% of people there are wasting time.

Attached: 1559766654777.gif (728x408, 2.29M)

It's impossible to get a job in ANYTHING without a degree that isn't a trade, at least in America. You could apply to be a fucking secretary and they would reject you without a degree, even if it was in pogo sticking

Attached: image.jpg (2000x2000, 2.34M)

*however, they would accept you if you had a degree in something as retarded as pogo sticking

Pick English or History as your fake degree. The only requirements to fake that convincingly are to be literate (you're reading this, check) and well read. You should be well read anyway so you can at least hold your head above the troglodytes and mouth-breathers you'll end up working with. True, there's a lot of formal theory and history and jargon you'd learn about "properly" critiquing a text, but it's all wanking. You're better off.

And to echo the sentiments from upthread: almost no low/mid level employers even bother to check as long as nothing else is suspicious. If they start asking questions you pull the rip cord; say you accepted a job elsewhere and withdraw your application. Happens all the time, no one thinks twice about it.

Good luck anons, you all deserve to make it.

Attached: 1557530032685.jpg (1024x1024, 73K)

The only people that go to school to work in IT or be a programmer or engineer are those that lack the willpower to teach them self.