The Video Card market has been fixing prices and slowing graphics technology innovation for years

youtube.com/watch?v=WYTPgDvLkmY
the game was rigged from the start

Attached: nvidia-vs-amd-header_0.jpg (1904x1070, 125K)

When you see laptops using same chips as high end desktop GPUs, you know there's something wrong.

>how dare laptop vendors put in chips that be run at lower power resulting in much less heat

No one is forcing you to support them. Don't like it don't buy it.

Nvidia has a lot of headroom to play with obviously.

The Super refresh is basically proof that they could have put out faster cards and didn't.

Jim Keller will save gpu just like he did cpu.

When do the unified shaders and other critical patents expire? Someone should do an open GPU on 16nm or some cheaper process.

It's virtually impossible that people stop buying videocards. So it doesn't matter in greater scale if someone support them or not.

If the majority doesn't complain so be it.

Attached: super.png (400x400, 26K)

>The Super refresh is basically proof that they could have put out faster cards and didn't.

no shit captain obvious this is literally the case with every refresh

.>32 minute video

Absolutely fuck right off with this shit

I don't remember them releasing a "super" 1070 with the speed of a 1080, do you?

He repeats himself so much I though it was the same clip repeated over and over.

nothing personnel, proletarian

Attached: monopoly-man-1.jpg (432x381, 108K)

i remember a 1070ti casually being withing 5% of a 1080 founders edition

>no shit captain obvious this is literally the case with every refresh
No it's not. Most refreshes are done after the process matured more, so they can get away with 5-10% better clockspeeds. However nvidias is using an already matured process, which is why they could have given us this (and more) 9 months ago.

1070-1070ti
literally the same shit

If you really think nvidia and amd are fixing prices right now then you're retarded.
When they did fix prices in the past nvidia had only 53% market share, so the market was divided almost equally and ATIs products were of a similar quality.
Right now nvidia completely dominates the graphics market, their market share is through the roof and their products are years ahead of amds. Nvidia has really nothing to gain from fixing prices with their outclassed competitor.
The current price spike really started when amd fell behind. Amd couldn't compete with maxwell, in the low-mid range their cards would use much more power, and they didn't have anything decent to compete in the High end. Pascal-polaris was even more one-sided: amd didn't even try to compete with anything 1070+, vega came 2 years too late and was still worse. The rtx cards have no real price improvements, and 9 months later amds navi cards on a far better process are still beaten by the rtx 12nm lineup.

It's not fixed pricing, it's amds lack of funds to develop competitive technologies in an acceptable time frame. That's applicable for all the above mentioned cases:
Maxwell beat amds gcn architecture, it was a very good architecture. Nothing unusual if amd would just develop their own new architecture to counter this. But they didn't.
AMD hadn't money for a new architecture, they had to use gcn. Also no money for a lot of chip designs so only 460-480. No money to employ enough engineers so vega took 2 additional years. Perf/Watt still horrible.
Nvidia has no real competition at this point so they released the rtx meme cards with basically the same performance per dollar as pascal but this time with rtx meme tracing cores added. And amd...took 9 months to release their for consoles developed 7nm chip. The radeon vii is so expensive not because the prices are fixed but because amd doesn't want to sell a lot of them for lower margins. 7nm production is limited and zen2 has definitely priority.

You're wrong though, it's almost the other way around. Navi is not priced like this because of it's production costs, it's priced like this simply because they can. Turing is such a failure that they can afford to overprice navi without a problem. In a price war, nvidia would be in serious trouble as the 2070 super surely costs more to produce than the similarly performing navi. Amd has already secured a lot of markets and have a new architecture on their hands, they're in a really good position. Meanwhile at nvidia the situation is pretty bad. Pascal has reached its scalability limits, just like gcn a few years ago. Turing, their new arch in which they invested a lot of time and money turned out to be a disaster. Die shrinking doesn't work forever. Look at intel, many generations of die shrinks brought them almost 0 improvement. The reason why nvidia is behind with 7nm is that turing on 7nm would bring minimal improvements, like a 10% frequency bump at most. It's simply not worth it. They've also been ditched by almost everyone.
So yes, I have enough reasons to believe they're fixing the prices. Amd could price navi much lower, just like they do with ryzen vs intel. Yet they chose not. They chose to leave nvidia the only market they're doing well in.

I remember GDDR5 getting upgraded

No fucking shit. That's why you should always buy the cheap GPUs. RX 550, for example. Or anything used with the same price tag and performance. Same applies to almost any tech.

Just buy used cards to fuck them, numbnuts. I've still got a radeon 7950 that runs fine and I won't upgrade

| have never spent more than $200 on a GPU, and I'm more than happy.
Actually, I lie, I bought a 1070 at launch.
I felt like a fucking idiot and returned it.
How can you not feel like an idiot playing Minecraft with a 1070.
I guess if you REALLY want to play all the shite AAA games, be my guest.

This, I bought a 1060 6 months after launch, costed me 306€ and I can't see any reason to upgrade since games nowadays are either overpriced trash or indie shit.

>80 is the designation for flagship, not Ti
So this faggot is too young to remember the late 90s and early 2000s? The Titanium shorthand was always used to label the premium cards, the regular cards didn't have one and the budget cards were MX.

I'm running a Radeon HD5770 that I've had for coming on 9 years now. Never been pressed to upgrade, even though it's always been a low to mid-range GPU. Although I generally avoid graphically intensive games because frankly they're not my bag, it's pretty telling that I'm still not rushing to upgrade.

I think what we're really experiencing is a bottleneck of the economics of creating the graphical assets that can really exploit the processing tech that's theoretically available. What will likely boost tech development is actually more on the lines of AI assisted design that can procedurally generate the details that are not economically feasible to focus on by technical artists in a standard development cycle.

I am playing minecraft with ray tracing on my 2070. It's cozy.

new midrange sitting around 399-550$ enjoy plebs

Attached: 1523151131481.png (414x221, 81K)

I never claimed it's because of the production cost. I said it's priced high because amd doesn't want to sell a lot of navi since 7nm capacity is limited and zen2 is more important.
Amd is not in a really good position, at least not graphics wise. Pascal might be fully optimized but it's still years ahead of rdna. Turing is actually an improvement over pascal. Just adding meme cores was retarded, but if amd would ever release decent chips they could just release versions without rtx cores.
And no nvidia would have far more than 10% gains due to 7nm, but 7nm is still too new for mass production. Zen2 can bypass this by using a chiplets design, which greatly improves yields. The only reason amd even has 7nm navi chips is that it's actually the chip they designed for the consoles. This chip is needed for the development of games for the new ps launching in one year. Since they had this design now they just released it also as desktop gpu, however they do not want to sell a lot of them.
Neither amd nor nvidia need to fix prices.
For nvidia, amd is no competition.
And amd doesn't sell a lot of graphics card, their cards are also technical inferior, the only way they could sell them is by undercutting nvidia, which is what they are doing with every real release.
Amd undercuts nvidias prices by quite a bit. The 570 completely btfo the 1050/ti, especially in the last year. Right now vega 56 is far cheaper than 1070s or 2060s.
Nvidia will go to 7nm when its cheap, they don't have to do the switch right away since there's no real competition for them. This is not because of fixed prices, but instead solely due to amds incompetence/lack of funds of rtg.

And the only way to really do something about it is a social media shit storm with dozens of articles decrying nvidia and amds pricing combined with people just buying them. But that will never happen because PC tech was always expensive and the kids that were staring at newspaper ads in the late 90s of 3000 dollar pre-builts are now in their early 30s with a lot of disposable income. Think about it, you're college educated or working a trade and don't have a family to take care of. You got something like 1500 bucks of fun money every month. Why not spend 700 or 800 on a GPU? Doesn't even make a dent in your savings. The only ones that complain about stuff like that are living paycheck to paycheck or neets, not exactly a demographic worth lowering prices for.

Why would anyone

ANYONE

in their right minds buy a GPU right now?

Why not? You'd have one year for a decent new gpu.
Just bought a vega 56 for 240€ last week. Don't tell me an 5700 or a 2060 would habe been a better bargain.

They need one and don't want to buy used?

Next year Intcel is gonna destroy both of them with the release of its discrete GPU

there isn't price fixing, AMD is simply behind by about 10 months on development, they need a reset and not rush things
we would be in normal situation if AMD didn't have to play catch up for the last 5 years

I'm forced here, possible tax increase and currency value drop in september, I do not want to pay x1.50 more early next year when I will be forced by lack of performance anyway. Buying now gives me at least 3 more years.

I genuinely hope so but seriously doubt they will pull it off
>the ideal computer build of 2022 is an amd cpu intel gpu while nvidia has pulled an IBM and ascended past consumers entirely

>nvidia has pulled an IBM
how? they make 65% of the money from consumer GPUs

>rx 580
>costs ~150€ new
>can play any and all AAA games maxed out at 1080p60
>might have to tweak some trash optimized games by reducing shadow resolution/shadow draw distance in the future to preserve 60fps

yeah nah kiddo. I think amd/nvidia just want to milk the gayming s-o-y boys for their mommies money by selling their flagship at 1k+ which is never the best value to get anyway and totally fine by me since these literally braindead consumer drones can't think for them self anyway

>any and all
>might have to tweak some
so which is it? btw
>1080p
welcome to 2008

You can get used 1080 Tis for a real nice price these days, and it's still in the top 4-5 of all time best GPUs ever.

Assuming they weren't burned out from mining.

I'd rather spend those money on prostitutes thanks.
Oh wait it costs even less than that you know?

Get a Zotac mini then. Pretty unlikely to be "burned out". As would likely other cards be as well even if they were used for mining, but still.

Absolutely this

haha intel gonna save your unfair market, soon.

You are still delusional believing Novideo is in great position. The release of Super cards feels more like a rushed response than anything, Amd is right now preparing high CU cards and with those it will be the top player (let's ignore cost for a while). Nvidia did wrong by doing his move first, they should have waited for Navi to launch and then prepare a real counter. If leaks are true, Navi will be as fast as the super lineup (2060/2070) but a little bit cheaper

Found the neet that thinks 4k 700fps is important

People could stop if stadia takes off. Granted, stadia needs gpus, but if it takes off gpus will become something only corporations buy.

It won't replace GPU market. Stadia will merely be an alternative and not the only choice.

>insanely powerful chips like 3600 will cost sub 200 and later down the line maybe sub 150
>meanwhile even shitty cards like 1050 ti are overpriced
Just...

good observation

Ask how I know that you're completely oblivious about server cpu prices.

Lmao, nvidia is in a great position. Sure they could have more sales and rtx is definitely not working out as intended but they are still making shit loads of money. Amds architecture for the next decade (!) is still considerably worse, even on 7nm against 12nm. In 2020 when amd finally brings high end cards to the market they just switch to 7nm and destroy them. Navi already loses to the super lineup. At best navi can match the performance, with a slightly lower price but while running hotter and consuming more power, all while nvidia is still using the 12nm process and is simultaneously providing meme tracing cores.
Now I wish that amd would be more competitive in the graphics space, I do actually own amd stock, but the fact of the matter is that their big new arch is still getting its ass kicked by nvidia even though they are using a vastly superior node.

The amount of delusion is in this post is palpable. Nvidia makes more profit from their "failing" data and ML sector than AMD does from RTG

What kind of moron burns out a card from mining? Regular people who mine use power limit because it's retarded to run your card at full power. Can't speak for chinks who mine in warehouses but I don't leave in subhumanland.

>If leaks are true, Navi will be as fast as the super lineup (2060/2070) but a little bit cheaper
For reference cards with blower coolers you moron. Don't pretend like the MSRP is going to reflect actually AIB partner cards.

Super on the other hand is going straight to AIB partner cards, and the MSRP is for those cards not reference/FE. So not only is Super beating Navi to the punch it's probably going to be the same cost once Navi starts rolling out partner cards in a few months. By then everyone who wants to buy something in that price segment will have bought a Super and Navi won't have an audience

There are unironic poogle shills here right now.

This.
There is a reason why Ngreedia will only have the PC Goymer market, and the answer why is that is in the deal Samsung made with AMD. As for Samsung making 7nm GPU for Novideo that is more of TSMC having enough of Novideo antics(with a slight push from Apple) and not "muh 7nm EUV technology" narrative the shill regurgitate. Ngreedia is positioning itself as the Apple of PC GPU because they are being kicked out from the other markets.
The "accidental" E3 RX690 aka RX 5700 XT and the price was bait for Nvidia Super.
Can't wait for what excuse you will make for Novideo when they eventually piss off Samsung, but don't worry Nvidia will milk you good just as Apple milks their retarded fanbase.
>Super on the other hand is going straight to AIB partner cards, and the MSRP is for those cards not reference/FE.
Yes I love Ngreedia giving their AIB partner more reasons to hate them, unless you are talking out of your ass, so which are you, a Nvidia employ or fanboy.

Just stop living in a shithole

>literally don't have a game released after 2007 installed on my pc

pretty liberating desu

As far as I'm concerned the Vega 56 is the only GPU worth a shit right now if it comes bundled with games. The 2070S looks OK, but the price is still terrible.

all long videos without an accompanying article should immediately go in the trash

As if anybody doesn't know it's rigged

Why not explore the newer titles? There's more garbage nowadays because there's an absurd amount being made. There's plenty of good titles out in $CURRENT_YEAR that don't need top of the line hardware.

Attached: by the king, how radiant.jpg (600x587, 196K)

user, spoken content has been the future for years now. Reading is still GOAT in my eyes, but spoken is incredibly convenient on noisy environments.

No shit, Sherlock.

Not that; they should be making chips which are too hot to go into laptops. That didn't happn

stop buying right now
they are obviously price fixing

got a brand new Vega 64 for 430$ 4 months ago. That card should last me to the next gen.

Didn't both nvidia and ati get convicted for exactly that like 10 years ago? But yes, that is probably part of why we have 350-400 dollar midrange cards but also people just buying them because they can and it's not really breaking the bank.

dumb

>bought a RX 480 3 years ago for about 230€
>if I want twice the performance now I need something like a gtx 2070 which costs more than twice as much than what I paid back then (520+€)
Something like this was unthinkable 10 years ago.
fuck the graphics card market

Reminder Intel will join the assfuckery soon too.

>expecting literally anything from Intel

Attached: laughing 2B and A2.png (900x844, 349K)

Yeah i bought my Radeon HD 4870 for 220€
It was top of the line for AMD excluding the dual gpu one
Anyway supply and demand, if richfags buy prices rise, ez but what are they playing with all this GPU juces?

>Spend $500 to keep playing modern games
>Don‘t spend $500 and go back to minecraft

Pick your poison

Or AMD's graphics development pipeline was almost as fucked as Intel's CPU development pipeline and they're scrambling to fix it. Meanwhile Nvidia's content to just sit and rake in the cash.

THE GOYIM FOUND OUT.

Attached: 1561230603225.png (1740x644, 732K)

Can't wait to see how the "tech press" decide who to fellate harder, Intel or Nvidia top kek

i still use a gtx 780Ti and man looking at prices right now we are all fucked

>soon
i guess 2021 is soon

Intel got BTFO by AMD.
AMD got BTFO by Nvidia.
People expect Intel to BTFO Nvidia somehow.

Got a brand new 56 a week ago for 240€.

then you get the housefire meme because suddenly every nvidia shill cares about that

even if this is true, its still not price fixing because both of the companies would have to form an illicit agreement about minimum prices.
amd and nvidia agreeing on something, top kek.

They don't even need to try with AYYMD crawling in the mud for the past few years. They can just release dumb shit like rtx to Jew everyone and after finally AMD gets on her their level just switch to 7nm and be way ahead again. Hopefully Ryzen success means more money for Radeon development so we'll have competition again in not so distant future.

crosscode is pretty fun

>Next year Intcel is gonna destroy both of them with the release of its discrete GPU
you're really naive if you actually believe that, the Intel GPU scam is so transparent it's laughable. Noticed how AMD markets "high-end" not really good enough for 1080p gaming APUs as something special while _every_ single Intel CPU, low-end or high-end, includes a iGPU part? AMD could do that too, they could not make "APU" out to be something very special and include something good enough to browse the web and play videos at 1080p in every single CPU. All the AMD motherboards have video outputs which are largely not used since only a minor % of their CPUs sold are called APUs & have a simple GPU included. Why am I telling you this?

Here's what Intel will do: a) They will launch a line-up of low-end and low-mid-range GPUs and b) Intel CPUs will suddenly no longer include any GPU part. b) will be explained by some "benefit" like more room for CPU cache or "gaming cache" or some made up bullshit. Volla, suddenly all OEMs buy a Intel CPU _and_ a GPU part too. It's genius. There won't be any high-end Intel GPU, that's not why they are getting into dedicated GPUs.