Linux on desktop

Do any of you use linux on desktop? Runs like total shit for me. How do you:
>stop mouse acceleration
>change Logitech g502 settings (buttons, DPI, etc.)
>set a custom resolution and refresh rate (for CRT)
>set custom color profile for the monitor
>have GUI for all the above
>have KDE not crash (nvidia graphics card)
From my experience it feels like linux can only run on thinkpads. It runs slow on raspberry pi and dell optiplexes, and it doesn't run at all on gaming pc's. Rather, it does, but it feels like total shit compared to windows, even fedora, which is supposed to be the peak distro for desktop use.

Attached: nazigirl2.jpg (685x1024, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/libratbag/piper
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>stop mouse accel
google
>change settings
google libratbag
>set custom res
google
>have a gui
google
>have kde not crash
google
>from my experience
see above questions for evidence of the validity of your opinion

literally me

Linux on the desktop is always going to be for the unemployed. I'm not against Linux. All my servers, personal and company, run Linux.
But the desktop is a meme and people on Jow Forums want you to also fall for the meme so that they don't have to admit that they went for the ruse and so that they're not alone.

see, OP, you're doing this wrong. if you just ask linuxfags how to do something, they'll just say "google it". the way to get them to help is to say "you can't do this under linux, but it's simple with windows. what's wrong with you people"

Friend, it's not for you.
It's way comfier than windows or mac. If you don't need any unsupported software there's no reason you can't use Linux as your daily driver.

Stop fucking using it. And you retards recommending it, stop that shit too. I've used Linux for 14 years and I exclusively recommend it to programmers and server admins, maybe, just maybe, a lonewolf hacker but usually I don't help wannabe hackers because by asking "how is I can do hacking" they show they are too stupid to not get into trouble.

That wasn't me, but thanks. I'll wait for this thread to die and then I'll give that a try.

You're both wrong. The way to get help is to say what you've actually tried to do to fix your problem(s), what distro/DE/WM you're using, and what advice you've already received. If you don't simply whine about how shitty the OS is then you just might get a helpful response. Linux works for millions of people - must suck to be left out...

>millions of people
>13% of computer users
Okay retard

If you're using KDE, literally all of the things you mentioned are probably in the settings application, you fucking retard. How are we supposed to know why your KDE is crashing, give us more details. And if your desktop is lagging you should probably install the drivers for your GPU

H..how many computer users do you think there are in the world that 13% is less then several millions?

BASED brainlet

>stop mouse acceleration
man xinput
That's a tricky one. Maybe just stick to windows.
>set a custom resolution and refresh rate (for CRT)
man xrandr
>set custom color profile for the monitor
man dispwin
>have GUI for all the above
Oh fuck.. umm.. maybe gnome-color-manager for the color profile? Doesn't kde have some utility where you can set custom resolutions?
>have KDE not crash (nvidia graphics card)
Install some other de maybe?

Also linux desktops just work(tm) if you got a simple configuration and are not going to do gaming or something like that. Usually you have to be willing to get your hands dirty if you need customised stuff. And if that's not for you then you should probably just install windows.

Define 'user'. If you limit it to normal desktop users, you may be right, percentage-wise. Still equates to millions on a global scale. How many of the users in your sample are active developers and/or scientific users? Does your (unidentified) survey even include them? If you use the internet, chances are that you're accessing or transiting a linux server at some point. I'm not looking at phone OSes, but if you throw android into the mix, well... Maybe you should see if there are any summer classes offered at your high- or middle-school.

>running a bare kernel on a desktop
No wonder you complain it's shit.

>bare kernel
What does he mean by this?

Thanks, this is the only answer in this thread. Didn't know about dispwin. I think there may be a utility for gaming mice for linux.

>I think there may be a utility for gaming mice for linux
literally read the first post

>using linux
hahahha, fucking retard fell for it. linux is a meme for bored basement dwellers with no jobs, dude.

haha yeah stick to windows where you can GAME

Install Microsoft Windows.

it's cool man flipping burgers is honest work
no need to be so insecure about it

>>set custom color profile for the monitor

colord-kde

>>stop mouse acceleration
Edit the xorg.conf, xinput and xset are you friends in this case
>>change Logitech g502 settings (buttons, DPI, etc.)
github.com/libratbag/piper
>>set a custom resolution and refresh rate (for CRT)
xrandr may be your friend
this is either done by your monitor itself or part of the DE/WM you are using, may be a thing for the xorg.conf
>>have GUI for all the above
Xorg does have a GUI Configuration tool, Piper comes with a GUI as well. If you are using a userfriendly Distro like Opensuse take a look at Yast, many other distros ship with similar tools
>>have KDE not crash (nvidia graphics card)
I've never had a KDE crash since years. Perhaps swap your bleeding edge card with something better?

I don't know what you're babbling about. I run Debian 10 on my toaster laptop that is over 10 years old and runs much better than winbloat 10. Hell, even some games run better here than on Windows. Kde never crashed to me and nvidia drivers are cancer and not required. Besides I use Xfce only these days. As other anons pointed out, checking the arch wiki/gentoo wiki, googling, you have answers for all those simple questions. If it's bait have a (You)

this thread fucking boggles my mind it's so confusing what the fuck do you mean i've never even had any of these fucking problems happen what the fuck are you doing dude

Thanks
Thanks for the (You) but I was talking about desktop, not laptop. Gentoo runs fine on my T420.

kek

>but I was talking about desktop, not laptop
That's generally even easier.

No chance of
> doesn't run at all on gaming pc's

And RPI up to 3B were definitely crap (don't know about the latest one) - but you obviously got a Rock64Pro or maybe an Odroid or better if you wanted some performance. ARM does however require you to be careful about GPU drivers, not nearly all of them are open sauce and stable unlike AMD or Intel who have almost complete coverage of anything recent-ish with a pretty decent open sauce driver

A thread died for this...

Sounds like half of your problems are from using stupid hardware. The other half is probably from a stupid distro.

Mouse acceleration is cancer. You need conf file shoved in some folder to fix it.

>proprietary hardware

There are enough computer users to make 13% of them millions of people.
And dude, 13%, are you fucking seriously? I thought the percent of linux users was less than fucking 2!

>>stop mouse acceleration
xinput
>>change Logitech g502 settings (buttons, DPI, etc.)
xinput or the keyboard option in your DE
>>set a custom resolution and refresh rate (for CRT)
xrandr
xrandr
>>have GUI for all the above
Get fucked
>>have KDE not crash (nvidia graphics card)
Don't use it, it sucks.

Based. It's not ready for normies.

>I thought the percent of linux users was less than fucking 2!
On the desktop? Including ChromeOS it's about 5%. However, including mobile phone and tablet computers Linux is nearly 50% of all personal use computers.

I still have mouse problems on Linux. I don't know how. Every single mouse I use works on windows. On Linux it's randomly disconnecting and sometimes it feels like acceleration is enabled briefly so my mouse sporadically flies away. It's not even a weird mouse. It's an old dell optical and a new Logitech g800.

Linux on the desktop won't happen until users don't face issues like these.

I had the reverse issue. My mouse won't even scroll on Windows, but works fine on GNU.

What mouse?

Logitech Trackman Marble, the one with three buttons, no scroll wheel.

Actually there are people out there right now who are making more money using Linux than you ever will, so your statement is incorrect. Why would you say something incorrect? Are you a shill?

Is that a ps/2 mouse?

Yes.

Employed ml engineer here, I've been using Ubuntu 18.04 at work and its pretty good

Then it's slightly older than my expectations of a mouse working on a modern OS is. Nice to hear it's still working on Linux.

Use DisplayCAL. It has a GUI, and sets the profiles automatically after you calibrate.

Attached: DisplayCAL-screenshot-KDE5.png (1280x800, 106K)

Keep Windows on dual boot
Use the Logitech software to set your settings
Save your settings IN the mouse memory
Boot to Linux

Keeping duel boot just for changing mouse settings seems quite unecessary, linked to tool that should do the trick.

*unnecessary

>Linux

Homosexual European Pinko Commie Jewish Muslim Poo-in-the-Loo propaganda.

Fucking beta cucks. Use a real American man's OS.

Attached: windows-10-pro-esd-license-50pcs-great-american-computer.png (800x800, 32K)

0.2 rupees have been deposited into your Outlook account.