Anyone here using Guix? What do you think about it (the distribution)?

Anyone here using Guix? What do you think about it (the distribution)?

Attached: Guix_logo.svg.png (1200x1090, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
gnu.org/software/guix
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#The-Perfect-Setup
invidio.us
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/index.html
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitute-Server-Authorization.html#Substitute-Server-Authorization
gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/index.html
framagit.org/marlin1113/guix-nonfree
ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/
g.sicp.me/books/
framagit.org/marlin1113/marlin-guix-packages
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

another shitty linux that pretend to be a new discovery of the desktop

I use ubuntu

>let's reinvent the wheel, but this time in GUILE!

Do you really think so? This distro is the most different I've tried by far (I've tried a bunch of Debian based and Arch based distros).
It is functional, you can roll back to any package configuration and return to older ones, like git. The system configuration also works like this, plus it is everything (Xorg, keyboard, bootloader, etc.) in a single scheme file.
It is made so you can have an exactly reproducible system and copy it on another machine or even on a usb stick.
You should look into it because it really differs a lot from all the other distros.

>Do you really think so?
They don't really think, so no .

I use NixOS, i hear Guix as a fork of nix is not half bad. NixOS is pretty good though, can't go back to arch after settling in. If GuixSD is similar i'm sure you'd like it if you're a gnu fan, because freedom wise nix also allows freesoftware only by default

Attached: nixos.png (1183x1024, 88K)

Not different from *all* other distros, it is a fork. There is one that it forks. I'll let you guess which one it is. It isn't revolutionary in that sense, it just reintroduces nix's revolution in guile

>The system configuration also works like this, plus it is everything (Xorg, keyboard, bootloader, etc.) in a single scheme file.
>It is made so you can have an exactly reproducible system and copy it on another machine or even on a usb stick.
A programming language (scripting language) on top of another programming language (DSL and such) is necessary for their purpose, but it's also ugly as fuck.
Also, if you learn NixOS/Guix you are not learning Linux. They are so different that you will struggle to get back to use other GNU/Linux distributions.

I see your point and I find it pretty accurate, NixOS does feel like its own operating system from how different it is to standard gnu/linux experience even in very different distros such as gentoo.
I guess I do prefer this way of computing over the linux way, in the end it comes down to whether you're welcome to the idea of changing how everything works or not. Some here are not ready for that as they fight over dumb differences such as different browser extensions

>don't learn operating system A, it won't teach you operating system B!
Kill yourself.

It's more like
> don't learn English learn Scottish
Great if you want to move to Scotland, less great if you want to speak to whole world

install gentoo

Fedora silverblue already deprecates this sad freetard attempt.

install Jow Forumsuix

I'm not really into kernel development so that's fine

>GNOME only
Lol

>freetard
you should look at Fedora’s core values then, they only include free software. Firmware isn’t considered software so it’s allowed (just like openbsd).

What I said has nothing to do with kernel development. I don't know what you misunderstood.

>it is everything (Xorg, keyboard, bootloader, etc.) in a single scheme file.
But that scheme configuration system doesn’t expose all of the configuration options that exist in the underlying software. For example, X in Guix does not have an option for, say, disabling mouse acceleration.

I read the documentation and the general design and let me tell you is impressive. Not only they use Lisp for all but they use it from a security perspective. Take for example the atomic upgrades or the reproducible packages, both are already possible in Guix while other distros are trying without much success.

I ordered a second cheap ssd to try out distros. I hope it arrives tomorrow so i can try it out

Bump

I couldn't install it for shit

I don't know why I keep seeing people posting this like it's a bad thing.
It's almost kind of funny, like the literal worst thing you can come up with to try and insult Guix is that it's a fork of something.
It's literally not even true anyway. Forks are mostly the same as the codebase they derive from. You fork a project, add some patches.

Guix uses part of Nix and re-implements the rest. That's not strictly a "fork", but even if it were a fork I don't see how that has any bearing on whether its good or not. Personally I like it a lot more than Nix. And I've used both. Have you?

I use it. It's pretty great. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Oh, another loonix distro

How easy is it to configure services on Shepherd, compared to systemd?

I really love all these design decisions. But I've just tried it for some hours and the system configuration just feels like a guile layer on top of any other linux distro.
I love the packaging paradigm but the system setup and configuration is just a patch on top of linux programs/files/processes.

For example. Doing a simple Xorg configuration that I normally do with a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ file took me quite a long time to figure out. And I don't see any improvement on the difference of configurations. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I hate to have abstractions of top of abstractions that don't add a significant amount of simplification.

You have to think these are not just layers but functions you can call later. Like anything Lisp, the magic is in using the programming language to make a change in cascade.

I am not saying I prefer this over what I use, but, with time this is definitively easier for project maintainers and power users who know what they do. I imagine than by the time we see packages to do all sort of stuff with the configuration it will be obvious that configuring systems with high level of complexity we will see how complex stuff will be simpler. In the mean time we only see simple things made complex.

> Also, if you learn NixOS/Guix you are not learning Linux. They are so different that you will struggle to get back to use other GNU/Linux distributions.
I use NixOS, FreeBSD, Debian, and Windows on a near daily basis. Haven't had any struggle. NixOS took away a lot of problems on my dev pc , the biggest one being that I can roll back instantly and perfectly if something breaks, so my work isnt interrupted (but surprise nixos has rarely broken on me).
Still need Debian and FreeBSD for servers since NixOS just isn't quite right for a server yet imo. And of course windows because it's nearly unavoidable.

might be cool if it works. didn't have support for things I require so I'll have to give it a few years personally. NixOS only barely has things I need (and unfortunately somewhat recently running it as dom0 under xen on efi broke, which is a bummer)

>doesn't use systemd
Best GNU/Linux distribution.

guix is going to manage its packages distribution through ipfs, making the whole thing decentralized

Attached: 220px-Ipfs-logo-1024-ice-text.png (220x220, 13K)

big if true

If you use several operating system of course you are able all of them. Now think about the way you use NixOs and tell me that if another person only use that he can also use equally well Debian.
If you learn Debian, you can be very proficient with Fedora or other "normal" distro. If you learn NixOS is not the same thing. It's not just more difficult like, let's say, Gentoo or Archlinux (where you have to manually configure stuff)... it's a different thing.

I've used NixOS and it's a hacked together piece of shit that hardly works as intended. Guix is the same but it's written in Scheme because Stallman is autistic and wifi doesn't work because Stallman is autistic.

Who gives a shit, i just use appimages.

Pretty easy actually, but I don't usually do too much with my init systems anyway.
But I do have this ibus service
(define ibus
(make
#:provides '(ibus)
#:requires '()
#:start (make-system-constructor
"ibus-daemon -drx")
#:stop (make-system-destructor
"ibus exit")))
Seems pretty straightforward to me (provides, requires, start, stop), but that's about the most complex thing I've done with it. It's scheme code though so I do like that.

One thing that I guess is maybe unique about it, similar to Guix itself, you can run it as a normal user. So you can have shepherd init and manage user services without you needing root privileges (which is how I have that ibus service set up).

And you sad cunts thought Lisp was not used anymore.

Look at this, is going to rule the world, LOOK!

Some of them are still in denial, but they'll see soon enough.
Guix is a train, I honestly can't believe how much steam it seems to be picking up. It's going to take over DevOps eventually, and the sky is the limit from there.

How many leftist and trannies in the project? The spanish documentation is worrying.

GNU is leftist. Just be glad they're not authoritarian leftists.

These Anons know.

What's worrying about it?

You guys should start a wiki a la Arch Wiki. With this OS it is extremely necessary, it being so different from other distros (on other ones, you can look at the Arch Wiki and figure things out).
For example, my example with the Xorg configuration that I needed.

>(I've tried a bunch of Debian based and Arch based distros).
translation: I've tried ubuntu and menjaro

They're planning some things like that.
Not sure about a wiki but I think they want to make a non-technical documentation with lots of examples.
They recently uploaded some easy to understand videos too. I don't have the link on hand though.

It's just different, and it'll take time for people to get used to, but also remember that you just have to set it up once and then you're good forever (more or less).
Configuring xorg is as simple as:
(set-xorg-configuration
(xorg-configuration
(extra-config '("Section Device
EndSection"))))
In the services section of your config

I should have said "Debian, Arch, and some distros based on them". Since I've mainly used Arch (like most people here I think). What I wanted to say is that I've tweaked with these OS enough to notice some of the differences between them, and those differences are nothing compared to those of Guix.

That would be awesome. It would make it much more newcomers friendly.

>you just have to set it up once and then you're good forever (more or less).
That's one of the things I like most about it

As hard as it may be to believe based on how confident a lot of the posters in this thread want you to think they are, you're actually more knowledgeable about Guix than most of them.
All they know is it's a GNU project and that's enough for them to pull out every meme answer they can think of that might turn people off of it.

I wish I were joking, but in every thread about Guix at least 50% of the anons bashing it are dropping claims that run directly counter to the most fundamental aspects of what Guix is in the first place, and anyone could see they're full of shit after only spending 5min reading about it.

They just want to bait you into an endless debate about GNU and probably some random political bullshit that has nothing to do with anything too.
Don't waste your time on them. You can always spot who they are because they'll come in angry right from the start (perhaps they're just angry because they haven't installed Guix yet?)

I mean, I am not really knowledgeable since I've used it for only literally 6 hours or so. But I've read most of the manual (except for the Scheme developing part and some other non-user parts). The manual is kind of concise which is great though.
I am excited about a project like this, for obvious reasons (I'm not gonna list all the features again). But I feel like It still needs to grow for me to make sense to use it in a daily basis. I am planning on learning guile and then dive into it again. Now I'm back to Arch because it's where I'm most comfortable atm.
I was not aware of the GNU bashing/trolling, what are their reasons? It's because they are one of those far-right abducted Jow Forums people? Kind of strange to hate on software on this basis desu

still no tor browser / 10

Can someone explain what does this imply? (for dummies)

GUIX is a disease
>Satanist CoC
>Claims to support free software, so Linux-Libre. Therefore no Wifi-AC will ever work
>but only cares about x64 with PSP/ME backdoors in proprietary firmware
>A gorillian ARM boards with open firmware, yet none are supported except ancient BBB v7 shit

It's complete garbage

>literally snowflake the OS

There's actually a non-free channel (repo). So you can get non-free kernel, firmware and software (I've done this for my Wifi card). There's not much information online on how to do this, though.
So it's similar to Debian, you can actually easily get this software, it's just not encouraged by default.

>it's really easy to get more non-free
>but you're right, it's very hard to get a system with open firmware bootstrapped from source
>the people behind it really are intellectually dishonest by saying they are supporting freedom, when the exact opposite is the case

gentoo is more free than this restrictive garbage

There's several reasons people end up hating GNU. But the one thing they all have in common is that they're based on misconceptions.

IPFS is kind of a decentralized file storage protocol where parts of files are stored by hashes.
Combine that with the fact that each Guix package can be identified by a unique hash based on the entire build chain and package specification, and you can end up with a decentralized repository of software.

I think it would be something like this:
>I choose to modify a packages "make" flags, so the default Guix repo has no download for me and I have to compile it
>once compiled my copy is then available on IPFS
>You then independently decide to make the same "make" flag modification, which would locate my build over IPFS by its hash and download saving you time from having to compile
I'm not certain about all the details though.

Sorry, but you're confused. Your view is a common misunderstanding. I'd suggest you read up on the things you think you learned from Jow Forums memes.

citation needed

You're the one with the claims.
You start by stating why you think it's restrictive and then I'll show you why you're wrong.

>I'm sorry, but your wrong
>I have nothing to back that up
>Just trust me, a random user who talked condescendingly to you
millennials really are brain damaged

i can choose to restrict which software i can install by license. also, two words: use flags

You also should look up "burden of proof" while you're at it. You're basically saying that the burden of "disproof" is on me.
lol, sorry but it doesn't work that way.
If you're the one claiming that Guix is restrictive then the burden of proof is on you.

That's cool. And I love use flags too, I used Gentoo for around 10yrs. A lot of Guix users like Gentoo too and adding use flags to Guix is something that gets frequently requested, and I'm fairly confident it will be added sooner rather than later.

That being said though, was your post meant to be a comment on how Guix is restrictive? Because I don't see anything which would indicate that.

It means that repos are going to be down 90% of the time

Content addressable distributed P2P storage with basically no configuration.
Think Bittorrent but more convenient.
If you want to mirror the guix repo, you just do that and now suddenly you're also hosting it and people can get it from you (segmented downloading so you download from all peers that have it).
This is a big deal for multi machine networks because instead of going out to WAN every time you just pull packages from LAN. It also does deduplication which is big for package repos that have multiple versions of the same thing.
It just means they'll be using a better storage and distribution solution which has been a long time coming. The best example is shit like leftpad where a dev removed their package from the repo and since it's all centralized everything just broke. With IPFS you would just pull it from someone who has the package when you requested it because it works differently than HTTP.

Attached: centralized-decentralized-distributed.gif (640x360, 3.17M)

>non-free software
No thanks.

P2P applications will always be crippled until IPv6 isn't widespread globally.

GNU*

I don't think that's true, but it would help massively.
For now upnp and relay protocols are good enough. This is proven already with things like bittorrent, i2p, and other p2p clients that avoid nat problems in some way.
I wonder if there's anything people can do to get ip6 deployed faster. ISPs don't seem to be in any rush.

>Personally I like it a lot more than Nix.
I'm thinking about trying one of them in the future. Could you explain the differences and why you prefer Guix please?

How easy is it to set up Xen with nix? And creating and managing VMs with it? This too is something I want to give a shot.
Can you or someone else comment on the same questions, but regarding Guix?

I guess I prefer female sex organ the OS

Not that user, but you are wrong. I don't care about whether or not you believe me, I'm not asking you to trust me. I'm just stating a fact

Is Guix capable of compiling from source?

is it as up its own arse as debian, in terms of their hatred and disgust of anything proprietary?

yes, its the default

they are so autistic that they are going to compile the compilers from sauce

for the rust one its going to be absolutely insanity:

compile gcc, compile a proto rust compiler written in c++, and then compile recursiverly progresively the rust compiler 5 or 6 times

Gentoo accepts free software licenses only by default.

Indeed. It's not just autism though, there is a very good reason for wanting to do that
youtube.com/watch?v=I2iShmUTEl8
Here's a good video about Guix, and why people are excited for that exact functionality you described. It eliminates certain security threats.

>Could you explain the differences and why you prefer Guix please?
Well the big one is just personal preference. I found it easier to start "going off the beaten path" with Guix because it was easier for me to grasp the Scheme code than Nix's code.
Guix itself is also written in the same language you use to configure it, so if I don't understand something I actually find myself just opening up the actual file in which some Guix property is defined.

Here I can even show you, so you can see for yourself. I recently had a great example of this when I wanted to try themeing GRUB. I couldn't find any documentation on that whatsoever, so I just opened up the file that defines grub for Guix in gnu/bootloader/grub.scm, searched for the word "theme" and inside I found this:
(define %default-theme
;; Default theme contributed by Felipe López.
(grub-theme
(images (list %background-image))
(color-highlight '((fg . yellow) (bg . black)))
(color-normal '((fg . light-gray) (bg . black))))) ;XXX: #x303030
And that's all I needed. I just copy pasted that "grub-theme" into my bootloader definition, changed the image and colors and done. The code is so easy to read and understand if you're adventurous enough to look through it's like you don't even need documentation.

Ultimately it just feels so "right" to hack guix and mess with its packages. Like that's what it was built for, because it was.

Compiling everything is retarded unless you have ECC memory.
Have fun with your corrupted executables due to bit errors.

Sounds good, thanks for stopping by.

1) You don't compile everything. Guix produces bit-for-bit identical builds even on different machines (assuming there are no glitches) so that allows them to offer downloads which are identical to what you'd get if you compiled. It's the best of both worlds
2) If you did end up with a corrupt build it would have a unique hash different from anyone else's build, so you could actually compare against them and locate the corrupt files.
3) Your software was also compiled _somewhere_ right? So you're just as susceptible to corrupt builds downloaded from your distros repo, and you're just as susceptible to corrupt builds for anything you want manually compile on your own machine in case you need to patch something.

So I see no difference, other than the fact that Guix has a much better chance of fixing its corruptions than your distro does.
It even allows users to "challenge" any build in the Guix repo. If they don't get the same hash then something is up. Either someone has tampered with it (something which on any other distro would go unnoticed) or there was a corruption during build time.

Guix's simplicity and structure really make me want to switch from Nix, but ultimately I stay because of muh vidya/non-free hardware blobs. What are the chance of unofficial non-free repositories being offered through ?

See Guix channels.

based

Guix already has unofficial non-free repos.

In fact it may surprise a lot of people to hear that the 1st one was set up by a Guix dev.
A Guix dev dropped a repo containing a simple config for adding the non-free Linux kernel + firmware to Guix.
(And I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that anyone who is surprised by that should reconsider what they THINK they know about GNU and its goals).

Reproducible builds definitely do look attractive. I'm currently using Gentoo, but the possibility of avoiding time-consuming compiles while still enjoying the same benefits is appealing.

>The spanish documentation is worrying.
>The project was started on June 2012 by Ludovic Courtès, one of the GNU Guile hackers.

Oh but it doesn't have Steam though, in case you use it, and I don't think anyone has made a Steam package yet. There was some user who claimed he got Steam running and that he'd try to make a package for it, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

There's nothing wrong with just sticking with whatever you're comfortable with.
I'm a big fan of not pushing people to try things, and just letting them know what they need to know. It's better for everyone in the long run.

Posting the Guix Pasta in case somebody needs it:

Guix home-page:
gnu.org/software/guix

Guix Manual
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/

Recommended Software for developing:
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#The-Perfect-Setup
(invidio.us has nice emacs tutorials, either get doom emacs or start from scratch).

Nice article from one of the devs:
ambrevar.xyz/guix-advance/index.html

Packaging tutorial:
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/

Guix Install script (for foreign distros):
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
More instructions for binary installs at gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html

Don't wanna compile stuff from source? Just trust the binary substitutes and you won't have to:
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Substitute-Server-Authorization.html#Substitute-Server-Authorization

Guile manual:
gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/index.html

Need firmware? I don't recommend giving up your freedom, but if it'll keep you closer to libre, it's better than nothing:
-marlin nonfree repo
framagit.org/marlin1113/guix-nonfree
-Official Guix channel for packages that can't be included upstream

Stuff on lisp:
- Structure and Interpretation of computer programs

ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/

- Land of lisp
- Cliki (common lisp wiki)

The gentooman library has some nice stuff:
g.sicp.me/books/

Always check the texinfo pages!
No fight with Nix! Nix is the reason why guix exists and it deserves credit. We must work together to make good and respectful software.

>framagit.org/marlin1113/guix-nonfree
>gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix
What's the point in having both of these? Doesn't the 2nd one contain the 1st one?

The first one was made by an user. The second one is a Guix Dev.

Yeah but I'm just asking what's the point of posting the first one if it only has 1 thing in it, and the second one has the same thing plus more stuff?

Freetards have this behavior where they go "nuh-uh mine is better" all the time. Explains all the fragmentation amongst Linux distros. Guix is merely a leech to Nix.

lol, nice try

Well, the first one was made shortly after Guix released version 1.0 by an user, but you're right. Looking around though, the guy also has another repo with useful packages he's testing, like Lutris and Tor-browser framagit.org/marlin1113/marlin-guix-packages

Alright, just wanted to point that out, but maybe there's some merit to keeping it.

/fgt/ - Friendly Guix Thread
when!?

Is there a command to create or enable a service?