Was there something magical about 80s / 90s era computers...

Was there something magical about 80s / 90s era computers, or will zoomers look back at Windows Vista and ipads with the same rose tinted glasses?

Attached: vintage_old_desktop_pc_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_1640234_o.jpg (1500x1125, 124K)

Not entirely in the same way, but yes.

Dude.. Vista was fucking horrible.

Zoomers will view Vista like we viewed ME.

There is nothing mgical about restarting every 30m due to memleaks, and restarts taking upwards of 5-10m.

Nowadays everything feels bland.
Back then you turned on what felt and sounded like an important and powerful machine.
It beeped at you, made a lot of mechanical noises and had a long POST and boot process before kicking into gear and playing a sweet startup song.
Now if feels soulless

Vista with SP was quite stable. Which means that they will view it like we view Win98 FE.... heh...

But 98 first edition is trash.

I think the most magical thing about that era was the lack of easy answers provided now by Internet. Back then, everything was mysterious, you had to figure out things by yourself or ask some other people. I know there was internet and bbs in that time, but not everyone had an internet connection...

20 year old boomer-zoomer here
vista is love and I love the futuristic clean glassy metropolitan vision of computing microsoft had with vista, even if they fucked it up and vista ended up being mostly shit

gb2reddit

Not consumer hardware, though as a zoomed I have a few vintage Unix workstations. They're a lot nicer and could do cooler stuff for the time. There's no point in owning a retro Wintel machine. They're all hot garbage.

20 year old boomer....
Gtfo

I have a pentium 2 400mhz with 192mb of ram, a 32gb cf card, soundblaster and voodoo 3 3000. I really enjoy it.

What can you do with it that I can't do in a virtual machine twice as fast? My SGI Octane 2 at least offers unique software to play with.

Nothing really its just something I enjoy and I really wanted a voodoo 3 as it was my dream card when I was 10-11 years old. Of course it can play quake which your SGI system cant :-)

>Vista with SP was quite stable.

Irrelevant, specific reasons for the OS being inexcusable shit don't matter, the only thing that matters is that ME and Vista are two of the worst OSes Micrsosoft ever made.

A lady fucking argued with Ballmer in front of investors over Vista because of all the things wrong with it, it was bad.

And if you did have an internet connection, but you had a computer problem, there was a really good chance that that meant you didn't really have an internet connection until you fixed your computer.

VMs aren't representative of the technology of the day. If you're going to use software and expect it to work exactly like it did back in the day, then you need to use hardware from back in the day.

x86 backwards comparability is really good, so a VM has no problems with that, but lots of other hardware will not be represented in your setup.

>It's an "OS is bad because it got slated by the press, who knew it was a highly anticipated release, for clicks" post
I had both ME and Vista, I had one BSOD on Vista and ME overheated on me once. They really weren't that bad.

>and ME overheated on me once
That's hardware related.

Exactly.

Now I had an issue where ME became corrupt and I couldnt go back to 98se. Fucking cab files. The networking and USB support was far superior though.

Vista required too many resources and did next to nothing that XP couldn't do. I did appreciate proper dual screen support, but that was it. Everyone who was actually there knew that 7 (which was basically just a service pack for Vista) was the real OS.

You never used ME, ME was the most unstable Windows and required a reformat every six months minimum. It also offered next to nothing over Win98SE for home users despite the fact that it was trying to be a fancy OS for home users.

Yes, because it was development stage of computers. It was fascinating how computers were evolved in a short period of time.
It's like exploring another continent for the first time

>Vista required too many resources and did next to nothing that XP couldn't do
It gave pointless chrome that everyone wanted because Macs were becoming popular again.
>You never used ME
Don't tell me what I have and haven't used user.

everything about the 80's and 90's really was better. i feel homesick when i see video from the 80's and i wasn't even born then. the modern world is like a shitty foreign country i can't escape from.

Attached: 1555055640957.jpg (793x786, 54K)

>Le my generation sucks

I'm going to tell you what you haven't used, because you haven't use ME. It was shit for stability reasons and nobody would every buy a computer preinstalled with it if they didn't know how to replace it (most consumers) because, again, stability reasons.

Don't try to double back on Vista. First you said it wasn't that bad and now you're trying to say it gave something people wanted even though everyone said they didn't want it at the time. Get over it, they have a bad reputation because they were bad.

Well how about this user, fuck yourself?

>Le
t.shitty foreigner

Attached: 1560803913554.png (377x512, 186K)

spotted the newfag

>Being this new

t.newfag

>no space between t. and text
>frogposting
>no u
please stop being so new, it hurts

I never really had any issues with Vista either. I remember I had a Q6600 with 4GB RAM in 2007 and dual-booted XP with Vista x64 because 32b XP did not support that much RAM. It worked fine and was stable, though I guess that was a pretty high-end machine for its time.

It was fine, you just had people writing for pcworld.com whining about it not running on XP specs.

Meh. They were super slow, internet was a pain, slow, Everything was more complicated, and there was no google to help.
Maybe we are in the golden era.

you're not missing windows 98 or whatever vintage OS you used

you're missing your childhood

Attached: 1558628969394.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

Vista was great if you didn't run it on a toaster. It got just memed into the grave because companies sold tons of underspecced pc's with it + people blamed vista for their printers or such not working because the makers wanted you to buy a new on, so they didn't give it proper driver support for older hardware. I had way more trouble with XP machines, that OS was a complete nightmare before SP1.

Which most computers sold that year still were, but they had Vista installed.

You'd still see 512MB computers with Vista on them a year later.

Driver issues with Vista were caused by the fact that Microsoft didn't issue documentation on how to make drivers until shortly before release, and they were also very slow to certify those drivers.

Because 7 drivers are basically identical, 7 did not have this issue. Microsoft should have been more forthcoming about drivers, like they were back in the Win95 days.

What can you do with your space heating proprietary shitheap that I can't do on GNU/Linux or OS X twenty times as fast and with infinitely more reliability due to actually having a proper functional toolchain? All of that "unique" software was ported over to better platforms decades ago, and all retro shit is hot garbage if you just look at it from an angle of practicality and compatibility, especially UNIX workstations that are unreliable proprietary pieces of garbage that any PC could blow the fuck out by the early 2000s.

Win2k was pretty damn stable, coming from 98. Nice clean interface without any bloat or bullshit. The lack of common drivers was a pain in the ass though. You needed the NIC driver on a disk or usb stick just to get the pc connected to the network. Sound card, motherboard drivers also sucked when installing on a new system.

Yes, it was magical because it wasn't so complicated.

>mouse used the only available RS-232 port in the computer
Ah. The old times.

Attached: 1544063511921.jpg (225x225, 12K)

It was easier. And there were no normals.

Overheated? Lol. It crashed on me near daily.

People will be nostalgic towards everything from their childhood, always. At least millennials grew up with lots of technological changes, so most of them probably won't think that all new technology is evil like literal boomers do, but sadly I can't say the same about trends.
Remember "if you didn't spend 100% of your time outside as a child, you didn't have a childhood", which is now "if you play fortnite instead of minecraft like I did, you didn't/don't have a childhood"?

You must eat shit for fun