/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: Nvidia has soft launched a Super-branded refresh of its RTX cards with slightly increased specs over the original lineup. The Ryzen 3000 CPUs with PCIe 4.0 and the Navi RX 5700/XT will launch on 7/7/2019. Graphics card pricing will continue to be exorbitant.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R7 1700X - Budget rendering
>For extreme performance in FPS, rendering, or multicore workloads, wait for benchmarks on 7/7.

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - higher framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>Wait for benchmarks on 7/7
>RTX 2060 - cheapskate
>RTX 2060 Super - standard
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070 Super - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - best fit for 4K but expensive

Previous:

Attached: 7nm costs.png (1522x869, 813K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5e9nZNYzt1E&feature=youtu.be&t=72
youtu.be/g4qm85Hlq2I
ebay.com/itm/HP-600-Desktop-Computer-Intel-Core-i5-4570-3-20GHz-4GB-NO-HARD-DRIVE/333159545211?hash=item4d91db397b:g:4FQAAOSwKAJbNnSO&LH_BIN=1
youtube.com/watch?v=veZuaQFwGwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 250GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

fucking reee man, they delayed my patriot ram.

Mobo VRM chart

>recommending Super over Navi
Spamming shill is back eh?

Looking for clarification.

Are the X570 Mobos launching alongside the Ryzen 3000s on Sunday? Or are they coming later? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the MFGR sites or elsewhere.

Thanks.

Is it advisable to buy ram faster than 2400 if using an i7 7700 cpu?

also released on 7/7

yes, they're launching sunday. would make no sense to release the majority of a new CPU line without updated motherboards to go with it. its the b550 etc that will come later

Too stupid to read
Too stupid to live
Time for you to die

Yes, you should use 3200CL16 minimum. It makes a massive performance difference.
You're probably best off selling the 7700. Idiots will pay a lot more than it's worth.

yes

Do you have 2400 already? I would go with 2666, if you have the choice.
That would require an overclocking board

>That would require an overclocking board
And?
Difference between 2666CL16 and 3200 CL16 is around 10% fps. A 2600 with regular RAM speeds will outperform it for less, and idiots will currently buy a used 7700 for more than a 2600 costs.

Super, Thanks.

I assume the (as of now) recommended M2s are the samsung 970 evo plus? or are the new m2s that can use the new pcie speeds coming later?

B550 isn't a necessary product, since there are no meaningful chipset additions aside from PCIe 4.0.
It could happen, but at best you might have slightly better tuning on Precision Boost.
I'll agree with you about buying a 2600, but if you're dead set on using a locked CPU it only makes sense to use a locked board. It's 10% at best, if you get any returns at all.

would it be possible to mount a HDD in one of those SSD spots on the cable mgmt side of the case?

>but if you're dead set on using a locked CPU it only makes sense to use a locked board
Not entirely true.
Lets rewind 2 years.
It used to be actually the best value to buy a 7700 with a cheap unlocked board just to use fast RAM, because a 7700k+ better board with decent VRM was so expensive, and the 20% OC typically gave 1-5% FPS gains compared to RAM giving 10% or higher gains. a 7700 with 3200CL15 would outperform a 5GHz 7700k with 2666 RAM while costing less and not fucking up your power bill.

Now days, *neither* makes sense, but still. 7700 with slow RAM makes even less sense.

SX8200. Why would you get a 970 evo? You sound like someone who is just gaming.
970 evo makes sense for no one. If you can actually make use of NVMe speeds, you should be getting the 970 pro or better.

evo plus out performs the pro series

I’ve notice. They still go for $250+ on ebay... lol

How's a Vega 56 for 240$?

Yeah and you can buy a 2600 for $140.
or a 3600 which vastly outperfoms it for $200.

Sell it instead of going down a path of fuckups. It won't be long until people realize AMD is the performance leader, that it's worthwhile to buy a new board for, and those old Intel CPUs will tank in value.

>A 2600 with regular RAM speeds will outperform it for less
no

Attached: relative-performance-games-1280-720.png (500x1450, 94K)

>new m2s that can use the new pcie speeds
I don't think they're released yet, and they're going to be super expensive. Also probably overkill for most users

If it's new with an aftermarket cooler, it's a good deal. Used or blower, not worth it

What's the deal with die types for Ryzen RAM? I hear E-Die is the best type besides B-die, and it's cheaper.

Your graph doesn't disprove anything he said

Great. It's aftermarket and new.

Samsung is phasing out their DDR4, so finding what you want is only going to be harder in the coming months
It's hard to tell what is actually E-die since it doesn't hit the low timings that B-die is known for. It's generally easier to overclock, and might be easier to find depending on how hard B-die has been cut out of production.

Are there any air CPU coolers that are competitive/better than liquid coolers besides Noctua's poo fans?

Attached: 74fQvisy42PTUHHwRh42fL-650-80.jpg (650x365, 23K)

It's a direct contradiction, retard.

WHY DONT THESE CHINKS LET ME PRE ORDER?
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: enough.png (336x437, 118K)

Noctuas chromaxes with non-poo fans

Yeah, reddit is saying Crucial Ballistix sell it with "AES" in the product code, and it is cheap to find.

dark rock pro 4

There are a few, but they do still lag behind Noctua in some way.
Unless I'm blind, the 7700 isn't even in the graph. Available memory speeds are also not considered.

Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT

Attached: LE.png (1142x1914, 634K)

grand macho
scythe mugen 5
scythe fuma and fuma 2
be quiet dark rock 4 and dark rock 4 pro

Thanks guys for the tips, I'll take a look

would it be a good idea to switch the thermal paste on the wraith prism once I get it? I plan on using it until I can get a new cooler

i'm in the market for a gpu
currently have an 8gb 290x that keeps crashing on me and i'm on a 1080p screen, soon to be 1440p
the new nvidia super cards are out of my league. realistically i have 300€ but i can squeeze myself to 450 by cashing in a few favors
all prices in €
>rx 590 for 210 (up to 260 for a good one)
>1660ti for 255 (300 for a good one)
>vega 56 for 280
>1070 for 370
>2060 for 365
>vega 64 for 360
>2070 for 450 (msi ITX model so probably not a good choice)

prices will most probably fall with the upcoming gpus
my mind is telling me 1660ti but my feelings towards older high end gpus tell me vega 64.

thoughts?

scythe mugen 5 is seriously underrated

Scythe mugen/ninja 5 with Arctic fans swapped on. They are great heatsinks but come with mediocre fans.

5700/XT obviously.

>the 7700 isn't even in the graph
It doesn't have to be. A stock 7700K is plainly a cut above any 2000 series Ryzen CPU. There's a 300MHz (6%) difference between boost clocks. At worst an i7 7700 would score a 90% on that chart, but in all probability it scores higher

i live in a technological shithole
there is no way i will be able to get even a 5700 for less than 500 at launch.

if you're going for 1440p get a 2060 or 5700

....RX 5600 When?

How many more RX 500 Series are there in stock?

they won't fall alll that much, though what do I know

youtube.com/watch?v=5e9nZNYzt1E&feature=youtu.be&t=72
I personally got a 1660 Ti for 360 USD in preparation for a PC, alongside RAM.
Save up the money in your GPU for a better CPU/mobo so that you can upgrade in future. Unless this isn't a concern, of course, in which case do what you want.

A friend of mine wants to build a PC for heavy simulations (CFD, Geological models among others). They are currently looking for a Intel Xeon workstation, but I have a feeling an AMD Threadripper could work well in this scenario.

I don't really know, would a server CPU perform better in this case? Any suggestions?

>33% more expensive than equivalent size 970 evo plus

Guess high performance SSD pricing isn't gonna drop for a while. At least the SATA III stuff is cheap and effective now.

Attached: images (39).jpg (679x452, 26K)

Why do people still insist on prime95 for cpu stress testing? What real world application stresses your cpu to the same extent? To me this is like testing your car engine cooling system by redlining it continuously for hours.

If i were to buy a Ryzen 3000 series and X570 would it work day one in Arch Linux? Or would it be preferable to wait a few weeks?

>most of these coolers aren't sold in Australia
fuck, at least the dark pro 4 is around

It's not always about how bad the load is, but the chance that even a less intensive operation could bug out when your system is unstable. So, a more intensive one is used to eliminate the possibility.
Especially for algorithmic boosting like AMD's PBO, you can be completely fine at lower clock speeds but the system has no idea that it can't handle itself during fill loads.

is pretty good
youtu.be/g4qm85Hlq2I

Should be fine. There were bugs in 1st gen Ryzen but they are mostly fixed. The remaining bugs mostly have to do with virtualization, so beware if you plan on doing virtual machines or PCIe passthrough.

Day 1 hardware issues in Linux tend to be GPU or APU related, or brand new architecture like with 1st gen Ryzen. The only thing I'm unsure of is whether you will get full PCIe 4.0 speeds on day 1, check the /fglt/ thread and try asking them. I suspect it will be fine though.

vega 56 is the best deal of what you listed if it's the pulse, red dragon, arez strix, or you are willing to replace the cooler (it's so cheap compared to most of those bad deals that even spending $40 on a cooler replacement is still around tied with the 1660ti deal)
1660ti is the 2nd best of what you listed.
All the others are very bad deals.

Q4 this year or Q1 next.

but the MX500 is high performance, user.

>science studio or whatever that faggot's name is
jesus really? They guy who said Ryzen will NEVER beat Intel in gaming based on 480p benchmarks of single threaded games with the 1600x vs 7600k, then fast forward 2 years later and the 1600x completely shits on the 7600k in games from the past 2 years? lmfao.
At least he admits he was wrong but his hubris and ego will always lead him to give shitty advice like that.

Thanks for the answer user, i reckon i'll stay with my Vega64 for a while longer. That 12 core and a Taichi or Formula board is mighty tempting.

the vega 56 is an arez strix or a red dragon
the vega 64 is an rog strix or a nitro+

why is the vega 64 a bad deal?

Any reason to get an XT anni edition over a standard XT?

I was going to get a 2070S, but the new price on the 5700xt is very tempting. I'm only concerned because I've never gotten an AMD card and I do a lot of emulation, which is something their cards tend to have a problem with.

looks and a slight factory OC

Any good 1440p 144hz IPS flat panels?

depends on how big your wallet is

It seems to be legitimately binned. It's the same TDP, yet higher clocks. Unless the TDP is meaningless and the 5700 XT just runs under TDP all the time.

If it's not binned, then no.

5700XT was already a better buy at $50 less let alone $100 less. No brainer either way.
>emulation
If you do Cemu, maybe. But even then it's probably powerful enough to run 60fps. For all the other emulators it's definitely fine.

Will an i5 6600k bottleneck a rtx 2080ti?

>3700x has lower TDP than 2700x
>according to leaks uses more power than 2700x

why?

Of course

up to $600 or so since I will have it for a long time

wait so b350m gaming pro is good enough for oced 3600x and almost good enough for oced 3800x? I thought I'll had to change mobos because it's like one of the worst b350 mobos.

ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR or that new nano-LED LG monitor that's coming out in a few months are probably your best bet

depends if you want gsync or freesync

* PG279QR, sorry
fuck whoever came up with the naming conventions for monitors

Acer monitors are the worst like what the fuck is this shit
>XB271HUabmiprz

And I think the MG279Q is the freesync version of that. I don't think there's an "R" in the PG279Q

Talking about monitors why is Acer so much cheaper compared to other 1440p/144hz monitors? Or is it just a thing in my country? It's like 100$ cheaper than other cheapest 27' 1440p/144hz monitor.

Which model is that?

So I'm upgrading all of my components this month minus the graphics card, which I am keeping from my last build which is a GTX 970. I want to upgrade my monitor and graphics card down the line, and I've basically made up my mind on the 2070S unless the 5700XT is more compelling for the price. Would it be smarter to upgrade the monitor first and then get the GPU, or get the GPU and then a new monitor?

Mainly talking about KG271UAbmiipx right now, but it's in general much cheaper same for 75hz monitors or pretty much anything Acer is just cheaper than anything else.

If you just have a 60hz 1080p/1440p monitor, there is no point in getting a 5700XT. That's complete overkill.

Those are like 4 year old monitors dude. There's way more and better shit out now.

I know, that's why I'm asking if I should upgrade the monitor first and just use the 970 until I get the 2070S / 5700XT or get the card first.

Maybe wait until you have enough money for both? By then, better monitors may be out, like Freesync 2 ones, AND the 5700XT/2070S may be on sale.

What are the most recent/best 144hz 1440p monitors out there, from your research?

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
>WAIT FOR NAVI BENCHMARKS ON 7/7. Navi cards below are their probable niche, but do not consider purchasing until benchmarks come out.
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>Vega 56 (RTX 2060 or RX 5700 - higher framerates
1440p
>RTX 2060 Super or RX 5700 - standard
>RTX 2070 Super, RX 5700 XT or RX 5700 XT Anniversary Edition - higher framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070 Super or RX 5700 XT Anniversary Edition - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - best fit for 4K but expensive

i got about a $150 budget to build a gaming pc for my 13 year old cousin. i'm looking at buying a used workstation similar to this:
ebay.com/itm/HP-600-Desktop-Computer-Intel-Core-i5-4570-3-20GHz-4GB-NO-HARD-DRIVE/333159545211?hash=item4d91db397b:g:4FQAAOSwKAJbNnSO&LH_BIN=1

but in a full tower case with either an i5 3570 or hopefully a i5 4570/4690 for about $100 and then trying to find a gtx 770 for around $50-60. May need to upgrade the psu so hopefully i can get one of those $15 evga white 500w b stock psus on sale soon.

anyone got any better ideas than this? i don't know anything about the older xeons or if i could do better finding a workstation with one of those for cheap

>i got about a $150 budget to build a gaming pc for my 13 year old cousin
Just tell him fortnite is also on phones

>For all the other emulators it's definitely fine.
I can only speak of Citra but I can't even get 30fps with R5 2600 and RX 580 on Windows. People say AMD's Windows OpenGL drivers are unoptimized which places way too much stress on the CPU. I heard the Linux OpenGL drivers are way better though.

>the shill is seethes in the comment section

What about an i7 7700k?

i was hoping to build something good enough to for him to play d3 or eso with me so he'd stop begging me to play that shit. For the last 4 years he's been playing on an old dell optiplex 760 with a core 2 duo E8400 and an old nvidia 9400 gt that I found in the trash with a 480p crt monitor at minimum settings and getting 20fps lol

>d3
I really hope that's not diablo 3

You're on the right track but for the budget you're working with I wonder if you'd just be better off just picking up one of those old barebones LGA 1150/1151 workstations for like $60 and slapping in an i5 with a GTX 750 ti/950 or similar. Depends on his expectations for this machine.
From what he's coming from he'll be thrilled with whatever you build him.

yea i haven't played diablo 3 but i was really into diablo II back in the day so i'd like to play it for the story even though i heard it was shit

2 more days till we get independent reviews. I'm eyeing the 3700x and a 5700xt. The only thing I'm still on the fence about is the x570 boards. I may just end up going with a x470.

Anyone else not able to play sound through Chrome? I've tried fucking everything and I can't get sound to play and this is specifically an issue with Chrome. I tried playing audio through Edge and it was just fine.

i thought about doing a 750ti build but the 770 is over twice the performance according to userbenchmark and are only slightly cheaper on ebay so i figured it'd be worth it even if i have to find a cheap psu to run it. i have a ton of hard drives/monitors/mice/keyboards etc so i basically only need the actual desktop components

if you're not overclocking it's likely a decent quality X470 will run fine with most 3000s, so long as you can flash the bios

ask on the "stupid questions thread"
don't let the name fool you - the general could just as easily be called "questions that don't deserve their own thread"

Not for now, but soon it'll depend on your resolution. (High res less CPU bottleneck.) A 2080TI is for 4K

ASUS is coming out with a new Freesync one which can use anti-blur and HDR at the same time as freesync.
VG32VQ. 1440p 144hz.
Those would be my minimum requirements for spending $400+ on a monitor and I'm aware of no others which tick the boxes.

You'd want an R5 3600 minimum with a 2080Ti.

Isn't $50-$60 for a 770 massively overpriced? I wouldn't pay $25 for one of those when you can get RX480s and 570s used for like $80. CPU will bottleneck, but whatever it's still way better value.

Can't you play those on a 200GE? At least that way there'd be an upgrade path.
youtube.com/watch?v=veZuaQFwGwM
Yeah at 1600x900 at least.
play path of exile instead like a real D2 fan, you retard. D3 IS shit.
You need an SSD for PoE but I've seen 256GB on sale for $20.

Yes, windows OpenGL drivers are bad on Windows for AMD GPU. They are great on Linux, though, hilariously enough.

As an addendum it's not worth buying that CPU, even used. Too expensive.

I've been looking at the Asus Crosshair VII. Amazon warehouse has had as low as $200, seems like a good deal for a good board. I know Asus' recent Intel boards have issues but I've yet to see anything bad with their AMD boards.

Check if the tabs are muted by right clicking them or the browser itself in sound mixer