How do we get people to stop using it?

How do we get people to stop using it?

Attached: discord-logo-1024x1024.png (1024x1024, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

halogen.city
halogen.chat
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Build something better...

I'm too old for Discord, but I'm jealous of the zoomers. I think Discord is great.
I wish we had such a thing in early-mid 2000s when I was young. It is msn/icq+mirc+fileshare+teamspeak/ventrillo combined. It really is a nice program.

It reminds me of the old forum communities 200-500 strong, back in muh days. I always hated how those communities were dying down or migrating to facebook groups and reddit.

Run a synapse/riot.im server

I've wanted to learn how to use Discord for a long time. However, when I found out that it was proprietary and collects user data I totally went off the idea.

If you have the choice you're a lucky few, most people just get roped into using Discord by retarded friends

Anyways I had heard of bad things that happen on it. Like "Reiko" for example (I guess its a user name) advertising HRT to many.

who cares, let them use it and get fucked when the owner pulls another openfeint

You can't. Just run it in firejail and hope for the best.

ill always use it. stay mad op

Why?

>roped into using Discord by retarded friends
What? Why do your friends own you? The fuck.

Market something better*
Building isn't the hard part. There are alternatives that are way better than Discord, it's the marketing that's the problem.

>way better than Discord
Haha you're delusional, unless you think that things like "free, open-source, non-bot-net" are metrics that people care about, in which case you'll fail at marketing.

The Discord servers have shitty uptime. Literally anything is better.

Wrong metric, try again.

>shilling this hard for a terrible product

Also you missed my point.

Discord got so big because
>NEW THING for Zoomers
>flashy
>convenient
>literally free (except you pay with data)
>friendlists
The competition was either pay to use or not flashy enough.
So to defeat it you have to do the same but better but at this point I don't think it can die.

Why are people retarded enough to not care about data privacy scandals?

How do they make money?
Datamining I know, everyone does that to scrape a few extra pennies. But they don't have ads, or sponsored content to promote (like twitter does). Data selling doesn't pay the bills, and investors wouldn't invest if it didn't make money.
HOW DO THEY DO IT?
HOW DO THEY DO IT?

because it is something that poses no immediate damage but will damage over time.
See it like analogy of the frog and the boiling water.

You can get some premium features for cash and they have a gaymestore

>a few extra pennies
It can be way more that that if your botnet has a lot of users

AI

I have one friend when i used to use it that had Nitro, and that was only because he had no life and owned a big ass server
You're not telling me people actually buy games from Discord are you?
I know they have a store but any sensible person would buy non-EA games from Steam - and the zoomers buy their games from that chink spyware store that launches fork-knife.
Nobody would buy games advertised to them by skype, and discord doesn't even make an attempt to let you know they're selling games. They're just there if you're a pleb and "support" (aka donate to) businesses when you're already a customer and getting what you need.
Discord isn't a community project, it's a company.

>You're not telling me people actually buy games from Discord are you?
I have no idea but only said that this is one of their possible incomes

>not having teamspeak mates
We are practically zoomers but we always use teamspeak instead of dicord. Discord uses a bunch of flashy fucking images and bright icons that give my eyes cancer.
Praise teamspeak and the old format

Attached: 1558366860222.gif (500x461, 271K)

I heard facebook, which is bigger than discord, only makes $12 per customer, per year. I might be wrong, but I've also heard sites with untargeted pay per click ads only make a little less ad revenue than sites with targeted ads that are just as popular.

It's ICQ/AIM/Y!M/MSN/Skype for zoomers, a.k.a. garbage that's popular because others are already on it and its users grow to like it as a factor of proximity rather than anything else. You kill it by waiting for the next flashy popular garbageware to show up.

Same way we killed kikebook. Just get boomers to start using it.

Attached: 55186.gif (480x270, 2.85M)

>ICQ
>MSN
all those stupid chat logs that still exist somewhere

Based 20 year old boomer
>still uses windows 7
>remembers PS2, played a lot of black ops on xbox 360
>had an older family member who let him borrow his N64 sometimes
>misses the old smartphone designs but uses a cheap android because he knows they're not worth the money
>Hand-me-down windows XP computers when everyone else had windows vista/7
>grew up between VHS and DVD

This.
Lets start telling our grandma's about discord, and why it's better than skype for those long awkward video calls to their relatives in other countries and states.

nice plan

Fix xmpp or riot until plebians can use it for all they use discord. Then hope it catches on with some hype.

OTOH people have really shit taste and we've even seen faggots abandon bittorrent for file hosting websites and streaming services + they abandoned easy compatible chat clients for smartphone-only single vendor crap.

Maybe what you need is a nice network AND some funding to hire e-whores to promote said network.

Even Skype was better than teamspeek

>Skype
>better than anything

Attached: 1562411126843.png (665x331, 143K)

This, newfags will rate on things just because its popular. I would love discord in the IRC era, its basically IRC 2.0

Can confirm. Halogen City is an open registration server accepting users, you're welcome to check it out at halogen.city or try out the web client at halogen.chat any time. Though running your own server expands the network and helps to popularize the protocol.

Stop talking to 15 yr olds and you will notice you know no one who uses it.

>Jow Forums is scared by software that has features

I would love discord if it wasn't a botnet. Actually though I would probably use it if not for all the gaymer zoomer twitch shit eating garbage painted all over it.

>tfw teamspeak5 is gonna be a discord clone
If this shit gets forced down our throats, me & my teamspeak boys are switching to mumble

>spyware
>it's a feature!
>Mumble comes back from the dead because they've been working on a discord-style theme since abandoning the project in 2017
What will you do then?

Just use ts3 you dumbo.

Why weren't you on mumble anyhow? It has long been more efficient and useful.

Start a subreddit encouraging people to take the NoDiscord challenge. Tell them that Discord addiction lowers testosterone count, makes you lazy and using pen and paper to communicate long distances actually helps you talk to girls more easily.

That's why i said "if it gets forced"
We've always used teamspeak, so we don't really want to switch now. I'd like to switch, but ts5 would be the only thing that would make my friends switch. What's the point of using mumble alone?

Create a drama with the discord team that will make lefties not use the site. That's literally the reason people are still using it, because the current dramas with the team are not reaching to the target audience.

What kind of drama would that be?

Attached: 1562205754937.gif (490x503, 1.86M)

if admin+staff being exposed as furry pedophile supporters didn't do them much damage, something much bigger is needed to knock 'em out for good.

Discord is killing NIGGERS by providing RIGHT WING people with a platform to be RIGHT WINGERS. I can't believe they're killing NIGGERS.

Underrated post desu

Mumble has much better audio quality and more importantly lower latency as if it's real time in person

What's wrong about it and why should I care about something that zoomers use?

Attached: 1498986182307.jpg (583x435, 56K)

Name another chat/voice program in 2015 that offered the ease of Discord. I can create a new room in less than 10 seconds and then invite others with a link they simply click on, I don't need to have them as friends on the platform beforehand or having to find them to invite, I don't need to provide some IP and port. First discord link I clicked on I didn't have to download anything nor even register an account, it made a cookie based temporary user for me.

Now you have all these other copy cats trying to emulate Discord's upstart but they will all fail cause now it's nothing new.

I think the only way for Discord to die would be if they did some Microsoft-tier dumb shit like putting constant visible ads into the client, it's how msn and skype both died. They have some shitty tech-support but 99.9% of people using Discord won't engage with them, so why would they care.

Matrix ( Riot.im is it's most popular client currently ) does this now, but also allows privacy, encryption, is open source and federated etc...

I get that zoomer tier explanation for why people tried it out and why said zoomers won't just adapt to IRC + XMPP + Mumble as easily, but that's why Matrix should be the better choice. After all, do we really want another proprietary, centralized, data mining privacy obliterating service to dominate the landscape ?

Remember Discord is backed by fuckloads of investment venture capital in the startup model of "give them something great and cheap/free to get into the market, just concern yourself with adoption. Then integrate into everything and move to habituation. Later, then you find ways to get us our fucking money hundreds of times over, or else"

I have been connected to multiple discord servers 24 hours a day for over 3 years with less than 5 outages ever occurring. You're making shit up.

It's the voice chat servers that are the most shit.

except for you can't self host a server and unless your on a partnered "server" or have nitro every decent feature is gimped

>CloudFlare goes down twice in a week
>Discord is unavailable in the mean time
Not a problem with decentralized chat networks.

Its fine, discord is a retard filter, be glad people on discord are people you wont have to interact with

people said that about ICQ and MSN Mesenger

I honestly don't see a reason to hate. Discord replaced g suite for my company, why don't you like free stuff that just works?

Still more features than IRC.

and trannies

use riot, it's like dicklord but free

Is Rocket.Chat a good replacement?

> just werkz
It's been down a bunch of times in the last month you tard. Relying on it for anything actually important is not a good idea.

Attached: Nelson-Muntz-image-nelson-muntz-36388753-1000-1000.png (1000x1000, 36K)

its not comparable to irc in virtually any way, its more like a bloated msn + teamspeak abomination.

Works better than skype or other web-phone services, so why should I stop using it to call my mates overseas?

rocket.chat not support XMPP, even they paid in to $ 600 to do it, but such a dick.

you can use SIP for calling lel

Rocket.chat is a better alternative, but more like an open source Slack, and very business focused. I think Matrix is a better alternative to them both

What's the advantage over Discord?

Name something better then Discord. Whats out there that has similar functionality, while easy enough to navigate and set-up. Normies like it because its easy for them to share messages/videos/vioce-calls. None of them will ever learn IRC.

Comparing Discord to IRC is like comparing Facebook to email.

Matrix.

Matrix.org network , and the Riot.im client (among others). Discord style features, plus end to end encryption, open source, federation

This sounds great.

Create an alternative.
But here's the tricky part: it nust be able to communicate with discord and skype users.
Else if you're even sligthly succesful all you'll have accomplished is making things harder for anyone to reach the solution

I find there are vastly superior alternatives for one-on-one and small group conversations that all suck ass for larger communities, that's the only place I've found discord to excel.

If Telegram could do channels and proper group calls maybe I could finally ditch it for good.

Dude stop being delusional, the thing is clearly IRC on steroids.

This

Except the part where it's literal spyware
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
It might be a great idea, but there needs to be a privacy respecting alternative

How do you stop obsessing about shit that doesn't affect you

Are you a literal boomer? Don't send nudes to trannies on random servers, is this something discord needed to teach you?

A FEEL HAS CONNECTED TO YOUR CHANNEL.

Attached: 1560954670669.jpg (288x499, 77K)

It is, and getting better all the time. It's still relatively new after all.

Matrix can do this, as it is built with "bridges" to allow connection to and through other services, to contact their users from within Matrix/riot.

The problem is that the proprietary service owners go out of their way to break compatibility , discord included.