Why do universities exist?

Why do universities exist?

Attached: 8ffe9b22958d632fe1fe8cdef2ad3f6d5b5209e236b4bc8f3b34dc68bd454ff5.jpg (620x640, 33K)

Have you ever tried discussing something like LP/DP with someone that only learned CS from TheNewBoston?

To reproduce existing knowledge

To reproduce academic knowledge and spread misinformation with regards to everything else.

Yeah, and at least they knew about them, unlike most college graduates nowadays.

Nail on the head. I'm a college graduate and I can't figure out what LP/DP stands for. Might be that it's long gone now. How can I tell?

Yeah if you're learning CS at the University of Phoenix you'll probably never even learn about stack vs. heap.

For 90% of people that don't utilize their resources at University such as research groups, networking with a few genuine friends, and talking to your professors, you will probably have wasted your time for sure.

Granted this is based off going to a ranked CS uni.

>for 90% of people it's a waste of time
That's not a very good success rate.

Life isn't fair man; you have to make the most of your time.

I would say it throws the efficacy of the institution into doubt. You can't place a 90% failure rate on everyone else.
It sounds to me like there should be careful grouping of students by their qualities to encourage growth.

I don't think those 90% of undergraduates are failures, I wouldn't have even considered myself as a "success" during my time at University, I think that that only a good top 10% fully take advantage of the resources offered to them by their University.

Tons of kids get B+ --> A+ average in their CS classes and most probably take away at least some familiarity of the syllabus.

But learning isn't really the only function of university, it's more of bringing together a lot of "motivated" people with a number of resources to let them go on and make things happen. Having access to an IMO champ or research group isn't something that's easy to find and personally grow with without some kind of institutional setting since anyone with useful knowledge is probably busy applying themselves.

I agree that there is probably something better than a University but I definitely think that people that chose to go to one can walk away with a net positive if their properly utilize their time.

Because of dumb attention whoring anime pedo scum like you.

So you can learn, but the shitty system fails and most people go to universities so they can earn money SO what universities do? make education shittier

>it's more of bringing together a lot of "motivated" people
That only works if you don't make college de fact mandatory for a decent job.
The moment you make it so, and thus everyone goes to college, it stops being the case. The few actually smart and motivated people are flooded by people who aren't really interested, but just want to avoid flipping burgers for life.

The internet has effectively rendered higher education obsolete.
They will still cling to the past and deny it, but it's only a matter of time before everyone realizes this.

I agree and think that that the industry will probably start producing certificates and other alternatives to prove that you have the knowledge you have since logistically it isn't feasible to interview every single person and easily detect their proficiency in whatever stack/technology you're looking for. A great example of current industry certifications is AWS or Cisco.

> The few actually smart and motivated people are flooded by people

However, I disagree with this statement because a self-selection process definitely happens with kids that actively engage with lecturers, research, and the general discourse you come across in a University setting. I think really introverted people may have a problem engaging in this kind of process but that's something that will hinder them further on in their careers, in most cases.

Many jobs still require a degree.

They're a relic from the middle ages when Europe was full of Christ cucks. They've been replaced by online learning and bootcamps.

originally they were for the affluent aristocrats to have a place to send their children to actually get educated, now they're just brainwashing centers that send people spiralling into debt

I'm currently a PhD candidate in History. I'm mostly TA'ing for business,engineering etc majors who are required to take one lower grade humanities course.

I despise this. Not for me but for them, it is clearly obvious they don't want this, most of them are not interested in it and it is a diversion from their real study, the study which will help their employment. I highly believe universities should be divided into two, schools designed to give you jobs and schools for research-culture-whatever. I hate this ''liberal arts'' idea of everyone must be well rounded. No CS student should have to take a history course.
Just turn them into coding bootcamps or whatever. Or, if they are going to stay at University, prepare the curriculum as such that they are -either find employment in industry -become potential researchers in academics. In other words no bullshit requirement courses from outside their field.

To hand out paper and to house academics

Based. Europe was doing fine without them until (((Christianity))) came.