What’s the lifespan of these?

What’s the lifespan of these?

Attached: 21F45175-128D-4A7F-B568-689FB58E664F.jpg (640x480, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tweaktown.com/articles/8599/investigation-heatsinks-worth/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends on how many operations it does.

74 552 hours

Modern ones? Longer than a human lifespan if you just mean power up time.
If you mean in amounts of data written? Usually several thousand times their size, i.e. 256 GB drive has a 400 TBW rating that's covered with warranty and in reality it can usually write twice as much before going into read only mode (unless the controller fails first, be sure to use proper cooling and it won't happen).

You've got 300TBW and 5 years under warranty. Whichever one of those two comes first is your minimum guaranteed lifespan. If you write 15TB a year, that's 20 years of warranty, but 5 years warranty has priority.

Are Samsung SSDs still the best for endurance?

should last 300TBW at least

Attached: 970.png (1791x178, 28K)

Then I need to get one that has passive cooling on it.

Just get the Samsung ones and slap a heatsink on it. High end motherboards comes with their own heatsinks

>heatsinks for ssds
ok schizo

heatsinks are passive cooling you fucking mongoloid

there is no need to passive cool a NVMe SSD you idiot

they could last significantly longer than that though, that's just the stage that samsung will warranty it for, I know it's wrong to say that because it's samsung it'll behave like previous drives but the 840 series was ridiculously good for what it was offfering (samsung would only warranty it for 73tbw in enterprise settings)

Attached: earlyfailures.gif (618x326, 11K)

yes there is you fucking spastic

Attached: throttling.png (687x427, 20K)

I have the 970 evo plus. I think it'a good :3

and to be clear this is what a reasonable heatsink will look like, with an m.2 to pcie board for size reference
watercooling blocks for m.2 are a gimmick, a $5 heatsink is not

forgot the pic, also here's a reasonable article reviewing them: tweaktown.com/articles/8599/investigation-heatsinks-worth/index.html
>In conclusion, we see that heat sinks do work with m.2 SSDs and aide in lengthening the temperature curve when drives are put under heavy write workloads. [...] With this testing, it is also important to note, that none of these drives ever throttled performance even at peak temps without heat sinks.

Attached: ekwb_m2_2.jpg (1468x743, 253K)

imagine spending 200 seconds writing at 1.5GB/sec
who the fuck does that and why? it won't even hurt for short periods. only retards doing benchmarks do this.

a literal meme

and how many minutes?

I'd generally agree that the write conditions aren't ideal but on the other hand plenty of people have m.2 ssds in cramped hot laptops or directly under hot as fuck gpus in an area of the case that gets poor ventilation
enterprise uses on the other hand absolutely thrash their ssds and most enterprise ssds have heatsinks on them anyway

nah, this is a meme though

Attached: 53224.jpg (709x600, 81K)

Imagine using anything but the 860 Evo unless you're one of those content creator types. These drives are useless for 99% of Jow Forums.

hmm yes this laptop thing is true. but it's even less likely for someone on a laptop to keep the ssd at high GB/sec for more than a few seconds. what the fuck are they going to do on a laptop? seriously consider this, what do most people do on laptops? they fucking code, browse, whatever. even if someone does video editing on a laptop, the cpu will not keep up with the ssd transfer speeds. as for transferring large files from one place to the other? that won't be happening nonstop. and how large are these files even, really?

both are equally memes

All that for one SSD? LOL

And why does my Crucial MX500 hit 80C and throttle during writes? Do I need to upgrade from a 240mm to a 480mm intake fan you thick nigger?

I don't mean to say that laptop users are going to have more writes than desktop users but that the drives are going to be at a much higher temperature and will throttle sooner as a result, the graph at starts at about 38c which is pretty cool but my desktop m.2 ssd with a heatsink directly in front of the side case fan is... 40c (although room temp is 28c), a laptop ssd might sit at 50-60c idle for instance
>what do most people do on laptops? they fucking code, browse, whatever.
if they're web devs and they install a single npm module they'll be pulling in tens of gbs in dependencies though :^)

it's only 68 euros with tax :^), completely and stupidly excessive though when $5 passive heatsinks are usually good enough

about 3 seconds if you microwave it

>NVMe SSD
>90 degree celcius
I keep mine below 45 degree celcius at all time

Attached: wtf.gif (384x216, 499K)

>they'll be pulling in tens of gbs in dependencies though
it won't be tens of them, and it won't be at 2-3GB/sec because internet speed isn't that big
again, this will never be an issue.

>six holes on the waterblock
>five screws
wtf

it's the best there is

are you retarded? they regularly go up to +110°c for the samsung one. even if designed for that temp, they will more easily break this way in the long run.

Is it a waste of time to get two of these and put them in RAID 1? This is my first pc with these as the place for my os.

>raid1
just backup your shit, you turbo autist.

higher than a regular hdd

Attached: nyfdanek53hz.jpg (487x771, 61K)

if your pc shuts down for no reason, they'll get fried and stop working

wat o__O no.

Around 2 weeks on moderate use

do flash sticks and ssds degrade even without use?

like in 50 years time if one from today was unused would it still have 10,000 write cycles ?

assuming no other degradation (corrossion), yes. realistically, in 50 years it probably won't work though.

NAND, Samsung and Micron are sill the best.
Overall Intel/Micron Optane is the best for longevity - but you could get two Samsung drives for the same price and have even more longevity.

Yes, data is held as a capacitive charge, that charge will eventually disipate.
If you plug the drive in once a month for an hour or so, you'd probably get 100+ years though, assuming no new data written.

300 TB is severely lowball estimate though. Even taking into account it's TLC. For reference the older 830 Pro SSD's have endurance in the 4-5 PETABYTE range.

60 times more than that

my 830 has been overwritten 300 times

More importantly, for how long can a SSD disk retain data without power?