Home Servers

Everything home server related welcome.

This is my setup:
1x HP Proliant ML310e
2x HP N40L
1x Zyzel Nas 540

Not shown - UPS, Network gear, External drives.

The Proliant ML310e is my main box; runs Plex,Transmission, and FTP.
The Nas and two HP N40Ls act as backup targets.
The External drives also act as backup targets. Suffice to say the only way my data can get lost is if my house burns.

FreeNas is the OS I run on the HP's

Attached: Merge.jpg (4059x1348, 1009K)

I think I'm going to get HP DL320e G8 to use as a home server. $200 on ebay without the drives

just dusted out my c6100 while checking again how hard it would be to reroute some of the hdd connectors so one node can use more than 3
remembered it's a pain in the ass so I bought a 16-bay supermicro so I can finally set up a proper NAS
and yes the location is shit, but it's "temporary"

Attached: IMG_6541.jpg (4032x3024, 2.16M)

This is my home server when I switched it to a bigger case in preparation for getting more drives. It's a 4570S with 12GB RAM and 9x3TB HDDs. Does the job very well for me, running Debian stable.

Attached: server_small.jpg (1464x1488, 1.34M)

shiieeeet I gotta move my RHEL and pfSense vms from my desktop to a dedicated machine some day

Attached: 1559893597761.jpg (1275x717, 63K)

pic related is mine
define r5 chassi, 2x1tb ssd for system/docker/cache, 8x8tb snapraid+mergerfs with two parity drives for storage and backup

Attached: 2019-07-06-161724_525x256_scrot.png (525x256, 27K)

Still work in progress, hoping to get the second rack in next week.

Attached: IMG_0093.jpg (5184x3456, 986K)

>not hanging it off the roof piece by piece
zero creativity

What’re you doing/going to do with it user?

This is my current rack in my old house, moving everything over the the new one and buying an atomic clock for my NTP.

Attached: rack.jpg (756x1344, 252K)

waaaaaaaahhhh....
fancy...
are you rich~

How do you make sure your server is isolated from your home network to repel invaders?

sane iptables, fail2ban, and ssh key only authentication for remote access

but why

What's the device above PSU?

Nice thing with big drives is that while they cost more you can increase your storage capacity by leaps and bounds yet still keep a small footprint.

6 x 10TB Raid Z2 = 35TB usable space
6 x 14TB Raid Z2 = 49TB usable space

Or hell even a HP 40L, stuff that sucker with 5x drives in a raidz2 your looking at a lot of space for very little footprint required.

Smaller speced drives cost less but by the time you buy a new case/psu and add in cards to hold them all you've prob spent more than if you'd just bought the higher specs drives and reused your existing case,etc.

A little board I made with a relay and a transistor to drive it. The relay is connected in parallel with the case power switch and there's a connector on the outside which I plug into a Raspberry Pi (GPIO) so that the server can be turned on remotely even if WoL doesn't work.

I use a used t420 as a server. Enjoy paying too much electricity.

For what need?

My server sits at 65W at the wall most of the time, it's not going to break the bank.

Aside from a rpi, what would be the low consumption server for serving media trans-coding

A RasPi would not serve that at all, much too slow.

ever thought of doing ipmi-like device with a rpi?

no no no....
Why not?

not after I bought all that shit...

>buying an atomic clock for my NTP.
Do you have something in mind?