What's the best ereader?

What's the best ereader?
I want it to have a big enough screen ( for both regular books and manga ). Not xbox hueg but not pocket shit either.
Also the more customizeable the better. I've never used one, but preferably it should have folders and everything like a proper PC. No apps-only garbage like Apple products.

Don't care about light, I'll be reading in the day out in the sun.

Attached: file.png (783x513, 737K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186645
youtube.com/watch?v=MEoNXG80iSY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bumpo
hows the Kindle anyways. Is it too small? Refresh is terrible?

I remember Kobo being the best years ago. Dunno about the current situation.
But OP for fucks sake find something with huge memory/sd card support

Anything by Kobo should be good. Their e-readers are unlocked by default, so you can install the FOSS Koreader without any problems. The problem with e-readers is the price: they are all overpriced.
You can also get a used one, which is what I did. I got a Trekstore Pyrus, which is perfect for my uses, as it's solely a reader without any wireless connectivity or any other bullshit.

>Trekstore Pyrus
looks pocket sized, shame
>Kobo
I'm looking at the Kobo Aura, seems alright. Might be the one I get.
What are general things one should know before buying an ebook reader? I'm talking about things that I should expect or not expect them to do, or just stuff that's useful to know before having pressed the Purchase button

Likebook Mars, Onyx makes good ones too. Ask on /csg/.

6" e-readers are too small for manga
Got a Kobo Clara HD, thing is lovely to read books on, but it's definitely too small for manga.

My advice, put books on it as you want them; don't just put 6,000 books on it straight away.

I got a 7.8" likebook Mars and I will shill it to death
It's very good and has full playstore

Attached: IMG_20190701_192921.jpg (2896x5152, 1.97M)

I will ask on /csg/ but holy cow those prices are STEEP

Also has both cold light and warm light

Attached: IMG_20190701_193805.jpg (2896x5152, 2.35M)

Ah by the way, some user on /csg/ told me to tell you ( the person who told me to go there ) to go fuck yourself.
I'm just delivering the message, you understand

This looks really good. After a quick research I understand the two flaws are price and battery life.

The two advantages of eInk readers are screen and battery time. If you would like to have good battery time, don't buy anything other than Kobo, Nook, or Kindle. All chink devices, no matter how big is their battery, are awful in this respect.

>This looks really good. After a quick research I understand the two flaws are price and battery life.
Price is not a flaw since the Kobo aura one has same screen but more locked os and kobos randomly die

Battery life is good if WiFi off, it lasts me around a week reading 2-3 hours a day

just my 2c, water resistance is a really underrated feature. Reading at the beach/pool/hot tub is maximum comfy. Kind of narrows the choices to the aura h2o and the latest paperwhite for a reasonable price. Aura is better but for me wasn't worth the extra $50, but the bigger screen is probably worth it if you want to use it for manga

>What are general things one should know before buying an ebook reader?
They have a low refresh rate and need to kinda flash the screen when turning a page to prevent ghosting. Don't expect anything over 2 FPS. (Zooming in and scrolling over a page is painful, but shouldn't be problem if you have a large enough screen)
Contrast depends on the model, and has gotten better over time, but on most the white is actually off-white, in the way that recycled paper is.
Physical buttons are great, mostly because touch controls feel like shit if your screen takes 200-500ms to refresh.
There are some advances being made in color e-ink, but AFAIK there is nothing commercially available yet.
The price is high because the company making the screens has a monopoly. Consider getting a used one. You can get a 4th/5th gen KIndle or similar for

I dont mind the touch-only experience, the vast majority of my interaction is just flipping pages which. Never have had one with physical buttons but I don't feel like it's a particularly necessary feature

Thanks everybody for the help. My current doubt is: is it possible to pirate ebooks on EVERY ereader?
And what are the benefits of a more open OS ( aside from, im guessing, being able to pirate more easily ) ?

> Thanks everybody for the help. My current doubt is: is it possible to pirate ebooks on EVERY ereader?
Yes, but some make it easier and more convenient.

How easy is it to "jailbreak" the kindles? And what about Kobo's stuff?
Right now that's the ones I'm looking for. I do have the budget to get what this guy recommends as well, but I don't feel like paying that much. Rest of the stuff recommended ITT is completely out of my pocket

>Thanks everybody for the help. My current doubt is: is it possible to pirate ebooks on EVERY ereader?
Yes, but you need a pc
>And what are the benefits of a more open OS ( aside from, im guessing, being able to pirate more easily ) ?
For manga, open os means more apps

I think Kindles may be harder to jailbreak than others but it depends on the model and how recent it is. I suggest thoroughly researching the readers you like on mobileread and xda-developers.

Depends on the model and the firmware version. New ones will have updated firmware that makes them unjailbreakable, if buying used, you often don't know the firmware and will have to ask the buyer
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186645
Kobo you dont need to jailbreak, since they are unlocked by default.
If you look on ebay, you'll see recently, the likebook mars has sold for about $170-$180. Might be worth to keep an eye on wheter a new listing appears if you want to save the 40-50 bucks.
Stock Kindles will only read Amazon's .mobi files, most everything else can open .epub, .pdf, .txt and image formats. Some can open .cbr/.cbz
You can install Koreader (which originally was just a program giving Kindles .pdf compatibility) on a lot of popular e-readers making them able to open most file formats.
Piracy mostly just means removing the Adobe DRM from .EPUBs, which can be done rather easily.

>I think Kindles may be harder to jailbreak than others but it depends on the model and how recent it is. I suggest thoroughly researching the readers you like on mobileread and xda-developers.
Lol you don't jailbreak it

You convert pirated books to mobi with Calibre and then copy them via USB

Hey this faggot is reading manga on what looks to me like a 6inch kindle

youtube.com/watch?v=MEoNXG80iSY

Is it actually not 6 inches? Because if it is, I'd say that looks just fine

Kobo aura one in video is 7.8"

I also have a 6" Kindle and it's too small for small bubble text

Tell you what lads, I'll get the 6inch kindle and see from there.
I'm planning to be reading standard books mainly anyways.
Thanks everybody for the info, you've been very helpful. I'll keep everything in mind for when I decide to upgrade or if I need to give someone else advice.

If you are OK with 6", don't buy a Kindle. they are the most locked down e-readers there are. Anything is better than Amazon BS.

>6" Kindle
user don't do this. You'll say sayanora to your mangas.

Attached: WacomPro.png (786x587, 112K)

That's not an ereader