What did he mean by this?

What did he mean by this?

Attached: 7C608EC6-95BE-4672-87F6-E8C4B85EB96E.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090
twitter.com/AnonBabble

CS is not about computers or science

it's MIT brainwash practice
they teach dogmatic abstractions, not a detailed full stack
science practices require critical thinking, this is not a still they appreciate

I watched the lecture. It was good. I remember it was about lisp.

The lectures are available for free on youtube, and are very interesting.

Abridged:
Computer science is not about computers. It's about imperative knowledge - designing concrete processes and procedures to achieve a certain result. The fact that we use computers to do this, is not fundamental to CS.

What else are you supposed to use?
Forks?

I get what you're saying, but I don't know how you're supposed to chain together logic gates with anything other than electricity

I would immediately collect my belongings and walk out of that lecture.

Have you actually read SICP?

I find it ridiculous that they try to reduce the scope of computer science to be only about programming.

1. Everything a computer can do, you could do by hand. Obviously, having the computer do it is much faster and more convenient.

2. In theory, you can apply computer science principles to things other than computing. A more fitting name would be "procedure engineering".

It's not a science and it actually has a lot in common with magic. It's also not very much about computers

Imagine being brainlet enough to genuinely believe this

Cuckold Service

what applications does cs have outside of software?

>I don't know how you're supposed to chain together logic gates with anything other than electricity
Man, you're dumb.

In most people’s eyes when you say you work with computers for a living you must be programming
Programming also happens to be really cost effective to teach

Being a code monkey is not technology.

Attached: 3mzread7ygo21.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

He is absolutely right. Computers are merely an instrument, not the focus of CS. And, just like math, it's not a science, as it (mostly) doesn't follow the scientific method.
I don't understand why people ITT are so mad.

If anything, universities are shit nowadays precisely because they don't teach the fundamentals anymore.
They just teach the meme frameworks of the year.
Besides, computer science quite literally isn't science.

Because CS is not science, it's mathematics.

You're a tool of applied math and nothing more. You are as low as it gets.

The whole series is fantastic. When they get to the meta circular evaluator, Sussman dons a fez and suit jacket out of reverence for the deep magic of it.

Hol' up
So youz be sayin
That we
That we ain't no scientists who earn more than a doctor's pay????
Shiiieeeeeeet

Attached: 1531696130242.jpg (320x310, 38K)

>ridiculous
but still true and they are right

DNA

>take computer science
>become a code monkey

lol that's 100% of Jow Forums and reddit right there, just like all my classmates who took physics but ended up doing some engineering bullshit lmao

computer science is a misnomer

Computer science is as much about computers (and programming) as math is about calculators

this.

is cs really a science. i mean then, isnt pretty much any sort of study over a subject also a science?

>isnt pretty much any sort of study over a subject also a science?
No.
That doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate, interesting or useful discipline, though, despite what Bill Nye worshippers may have told you.

They don't, though. What's about CS that you believe is science?

so your point is that cs isn't a science? don't get me wrong, i'm a cs undergrad, but never got why the course goes by that name. even if it is a science, it isn't really like chemistry or physics

link?

well IT is not about computers either. Network protocols are purest form of algorithms, for example IT folks often dont know how to program shit, but they can tell you how icmp works in detail. Whenever you look its just algorithms, abstract transformations of input to output with some steps in between

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE18841CABEA24090

>A more fitting name would be "procedure engineering".
Nah, it should be computational mathematics.

Why does /sci/ hate and bully us? :(

everybody does

u wot mate?

Attached: implies guy.jpg (400x400, 22K)

because this board is anti-science

undergrads like to fling shit about who has the most autistic major

is this the reason all physics majors are so annoying? Most of them don't even know more physics than I do. And I know jack shit other than the university level stuff.

yes, physics fags are usually the most arrogant and autistic

this kills the mathlet

he looks jewish

Cock Sleeves

because, for some reason, learning Real Mathematics don't make you cut your own penis, wear a dress and become communist.

I guess that's the magic of CS and IT turning men into something that's not a woman.

Then what is it about? Math?

trapping up and ricing

Why do you care about undergrads' opinions?

Computer science should be called procedrology

Informatics is okay too

Sour Grapes, they will never be CS chads

are you trying to say you don't use the scientific method in automata theory research

They're bitter involuntary NEETs who want to get into an industry that's unrelated to their major.

lol SICP makes brainless C babies so mad
Go dangle each other's pointers
see:
These. /sci/fags are fucking morons. Literally one of the dumbest boards, and actually worse than reddit. Except for the math contingent which is alright. The math generals can be pretty good.

That's why CE exists. CS is just a meme course for brainlets.

Encoding chinktoons.

You don't remember very well since they didn't use lisp

he meant that retarded inbreed slavs should be banned from CS