Is anyone running Linux/BSD/Windows on a gaymen console?

Is anyone running Linux/BSD/Windows on a gaymen console?

I think they would be great for trying obscure architectures like PowerPC without spending a lot of money. Some would even be relatively usable as a desktop computer.

Is anyone here using a console for anything other than gaming?

Attached: wii.jpg (580x362, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_xwoaf_pup
wiki.netbsd.org/ports/dreamcast/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>32 mb RAM
You can't even run X

Attached: Screen_Shot_20190508_at_10.37.07.jpg (1648x930, 167K)

Isn't it like 88MB of RAM?

or you can just buy a rPi or an odroid for like 40 bucks and move on

boring

>32 mb RAM
>can't run X
archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_xwoaf_pup

I have steam link.
It has Linux on it I think.

Uuhh, the GCN has 24 MB of RAM. The Wii inherits that 24 MB for backwards compatibility but also has 64 MB and uses both banks. There's no 32 MB anywhere...

puppy reccomends 64mb RAM + 256mb SWAP as a bare minimum.

This is not the same puppy.

While the Wii might be capable, with a lot of work, of something like a Windows 2000-like desktop experience, the fact that you're locked at a low resolution, must access storage through USB or old SD cards, and that you've got no upgradeability if you need something makes it pretty unappealing.

I got a Goodwill electronics nearby that can help me put a comparable computer together for $20, though I wouldn't trust their PSUs.

You can run Linux on a PSP. No network, though.

I used to run Linux with a graphical desktop manager and X on a 100 MHz Pentium laptop with 8GB RAM. Ran everything from Firefox to a office suite.
I have a Macintosh Quadra that runs Debian with X too.

But the Wii doesn't even have 32 MB of RAM, so it's a moot point anyways.

I see you didn't even read the thread.

yes, linux on ps4 and switch

I've gotten a tty running on Wii but since no one has maintained the distro in years I wasn't able to get networking or X going and I don't really know enough to fix it.

Nothing to read.

>8GB RAM.
Ah I see the problem, 8MB* of course.

>32MB
There's two posts that point out that you're wrong.

Attached: 1553633359084.png (709x636, 169K)

I honestly don't see the reason to do that apart from getting street cred from some random community on the internet.
Get some cheap ass general purpose computer for that, even something like a gay Raspberry Pi, it's cheaper and easier anyway.

You can run NetBSD on a Dreamcast.

>t. retard

No, I use my video game consoles to player video games.

>playing gaymes

I used to do ps3 linux. It was terrible. The processor was not at all suitable to desktop tasks.

wiki.netbsd.org/ports/dreamcast/

>Is anyone running Linux/BSD/Windows on a gaymen console?

The autism levels are off the charts!

the wii had 64mb of ram and 24mb of dedicaded VRAM you fucks. and its fantastic console because it's completely hacked open

the web browser was usable when it was new, and it wasn't slow, but i seriously doubt it's usable now. it's probably not compatible with modern web standards.

i traded mine for a 3ds which i don't regret but it means i don't have a wii anymore. it was very good, though, especially all of the interesting gimmicky games and virtual console injection hacks

it's not worth much besides showing off how lightweight their system is and bragging rights

If you want to play with PowerPC just grow up and buy a real machine

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-06_16-17-42.png (1206x779, 33K)

Guys have got arch running on that.

Didn’t someone have a thread on here trying to install gentoo on a Wii a while back?

>Pricing on the Talos II motherboard is $2499 USD

How about no.

It's not dedicated to vram by some rigid system. When you pop a GCN disc in then it starts using that 24 MB as general system memory for the CPU.

No, but Android for Switch is being released soon, bootable through Hekate. Will be nice to have a tablet for web browsing/reading and a more comfortable way to play Android games (even though the only one I currently own is Dragon Quest 4).

Based

Don't be discharged by the others, OP. I think it'd still be interesting to play around with the POWER architecture even in command line.
That's usually how you'd interface with a system running POWER architecture in the industry, anyway.

Absolutely based

I doubt this is actually yours, but it's really fucking funny imagining someone here dumping five figures on a piece of shit like that just to post on Jow Forums about how they have a different looking sticker under the same hundred layers of high-level abstraction.

Attached: 1558152701528.jpg (688x418, 441K)

I've got FreeBSD on a Wii. Installed it before I knew about SSH or anything so I never knew what to do with it but now if I could just find it I could probably find something to use it for. I also bought a PS3 to fuckaround with the OtherOS hypervisor only to find out that Sony dropped it

I plan on it. Getting an 8-core Blackbird in a few months

PS2's got 32MB RAM and can run X

The WiiU would make a far better candidate for a modern PowerPC desktop.
It is, after all, a glorified PowerBook G3 Pismo on steroids.

>on steroids
This little thing?

Attached: wiiuProcessor.jpg (595x322, 174K)

Yep, and he eventually got it all working with wifi.

t. projecting retard
I use this machine for kernel development and I've already ported multiple programs to the ppc64le architecture. What have you done?

I dunno, user, I actually agree with . Arbitrarily mentioning your setup to a person who is literally considering a Wii is bonkers retarded and it's really stupid to defend your original assertion by mentioning what YOU do with your setup.

but never raised an issue with my suggestion, he just (incorrectly) assumed that i'm as incompetent as he is and decided to project.
Obviously dropping $6k on a workstation isn't practical for some people, but already said he was planning on getting a Blackbird.

Eh, I guess.

Still, I do not think your post belongs.

k

I run linux on a switch. Ubuntu for tegra. It's nvidia so it kinda sucks, and arm isn't obscure. Controllers don't work when connected but touchscreen works. It's a nice toy.

So, you spent $10,000 to modify a few blocks of someone else's code to get it working on a novelty computer nobody uses for unspecified reasons, which you could have just done in an emulator for free instead because all of the hardware is free and open. Who gives a shit?

seethe

But the Wii has 88 MB of RAM? I already said ( see ) that the Wii doesn't have 32 MB of RAM.
Problems with reading comprehension?

>40 bucks
plus 200 more bucks for various necessary accesories

Like? I have a Pi and I have no accessories and still use it for various shit like flashing or temporary computer.