Why aren’t you using a Thinkpad with an e-ink screen? An Inkpad?

Why aren’t you using a Thinkpad with an e-ink screen? An Inkpad?

Attached: 874F7E56-96C2-48D3-AB50-B13139C6E330.jpg (2189x1459, 759K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because ChinkPad shills are too poor to afford e-ink screens.

because I don’t want an hdmi cord hanging out

What's so good about e-ink? What makes those screens better than a normal screen?

The power draw is two orders of magnitude lower. It's also easier on the eyes than backlit displays.

But the screen in your pic doesn't look any different than a regular screen, other than being more inconvenient with needing an HDMI cable dangling from the screen & computer.

they are also completely monochrome and have piss poor refresh rates

>When the only games you can play are TUI dungeon crawlers
e-inkfags BTFO

because there is no such thing

Color and refresh rates are bloat

If all you’re using is the terminal then you don’t need more than that.

who the fuck uses the terminal only? besides larping neets

anime

Because i do more than run top faggot

>Why yes I am a larping NEET, how could you tell?

Attached: 1561441063758.jpg (758x644, 64K)

I actually got a Boox Max 2 with this in mind, I just haven't done it yet

You should use a light theme.

Attached: light vs dark.jpg (499x499, 61K)

Kinkpad*

inkpad

Attached: vn-740_en_new_2.png (502x432, 98K)

you say that like it's a bad thing

Because I don't want a 1 Hz screen

Because as much as it tickles my autism, the point of e-ink is low power use, so you'd probably do better pairing it would a Raspberry Pi, or an EOMA64 if they ever come out. Maybe with a battery powered keyboard, as well. Is off-the-grid computing a thing?

How do I get one?

Google it retard

And yet my 2560x1600 IPS screen can do 10h from battery. Trannypad faggots BTFO again.

>Is off-the-grid computing a thing?
It's called a laptop, fami

But I mean really off the grid, like, at least twenty feet from a power outlet.

Oh man I completely forgot about EOMA64, is it being sent out now?

>i've never seen compiling at 165hz

It's been delayed by two months

You charge it then take it as far as you like. I know you PC people have very limited battery time abd that is greatly limiting your ability to use your laptop, but for us Mac people with 10h of working time on battery it is entirely feasible.
Also since our computers can do the same thing on much lower power we can charge our laptops with portable solar cells.

smartphones

You can use it outside without glare but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that.

I do.

Attached: 04A8DBCE-43EE-427C-98D3-CDACB66736AF.jpg (4896x3672, 1.44M)

this looks atrocious.

What exactly am I seeing here?
Genuinely curious; TrackPoint and 4:3 screen are the reasons why a T60 is non-negotiable to me.

I unironically would like to know how to get this kind of setup

What happened to this board?
People here can't even tell anymore when someone is putting an e-reader on top of a laptop display with a screenshot displayed.

Attached: 1262318788714.png (165x98, 41K)

It’s a VNC client dipshit.

Chinks need to make portable e-ink monitors with USB-C display port.

The setup for this is really simple. Take a large e reader that has support for a VNC client or SSH client. VNC or SSH to your laptop. That’s it.

We want dumb panels not smart screens faggot.
It ruins the point of being effecient.

Fuck off retard and go back there

Attached: Untitled.png (828x205, 33K)

Ok then tell me how to do it your way retard.

Congrats user. Best laptop with best display technology.

yesterday I tried a VNC client for my kobo and it looked like absolute shit, where can I get one of those e-ink screens that connect directly to a computer?

Buy an ereader with HDMI-in and run your laptop's HDMI out into it

What? A direct connection isn’t going to make any differences. The limitation that’s making it look “absolute shit” is the e-ink screen.

It's in the sun, if that was a regular laptop/phone display you wouldn't see a fucking thing without the brightness and power consumption ramped up to the maximum, plus e-ink displays don't use energy while displaying an image, only when changing images. I have an e-reader in my desk that hasn't been used in years, still showing the same picture on it

To really utilize current e-ink well, we'd probably need everything redesigned to minimize pixel changes.
Like, tiling windows (so you aren't moving them or partly overlapping them), and content pages through instead of scrolling. Limited animations, and those would be based on slowly filling in some whitespace.
Anti-ghosting refresh done per-window instead of the whole screen (would maybe leave some blur at the window edges, but that's OK there).
You could build a passive LCD layer over the e-ink layer just for drawing stuff like the a mouse pointer, and the cursor for text entry, but that'll only work if the e-ink layer is mostly white.

The biggest problem is the E Ink Corporation owns all the patents on these displays and charges ridiculous amounts to use them in products. So everything with an e-ink display is homosexually expensive to make up for the licensing cost. Thus the expensive technology isn’t getting widely used and is stagnating as is.

People need to stop refering to it as e-ink then and call it e-paper the neutral name.

e-ink is to kleenex as e-paper is to tissue.

its not like people do other things with their computers like program, read, write, etc

guide link? got a busted screen i would like to do this with

That resolution is horrible.

You don’t understand how technology patents work.

Just use a VNC client on an e-reader to VNC to your laptop.

OP's pic is showing a big chunky terminal, but that screen is supposed to be like 2200x1600

>no color htop
superior tech

>playing gaymes
get our normie

>its not like people do other things with their computers like program, read, write, etc
And draw color pictures, watch YouTube videos, edit videos, play games, use remote desktop technology that require video, use IDEs with syntax color coding...

Where do I get a decent eink display?

Would be cool with Apple II B&W emulator and OG gameboy emu

also how long is battery life

Faggot

fantastic visibility in bright environments I guess, and lower power consumption when not updating the screen

they have their uses but most people will get better mileage out of a traditional display panel

Are you talking to yourself?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_paper

See the various implementations and you will see e-ink is merely a specific type of epaper.

Not if you try and update it at 60hz

Literally not better. Muh glare is not an excuse to destroy your screen frequency, colour & dpi.

Epic troll

Because you removed the Th in the experience