What'll it take to bring CRTs back?

What'll it take to bring CRTs back?

Attached: sony wega.jpg (640x401, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
ask.metafilter.com/11916/CRT-whine-how-to-stop-it
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It would take the average person to be non-retarded and understand monitor technology, so a miracle.

If somehow all of our Smart TV's and Flatscreens around the world suddenly died then yes. CRTs are only used in poor fuck schools, third world countries and Melee tournaments.

Attached: 1559673182005.gif (156x267, 57K)

Figure out how to work without the fat ass

a melee tournament

>average person sees trinitron
>average person sees the average LCD being sold right now
>average person still prefers the LCD
>the average person is retarded because the LCD was chosen
Yes theoretically the CRT can out perform the LCD in response, black levels, and color but the CRT holds undesirable traits that the LCD solved
People honestly don't give a shit about how good something could be when there is a more convenient and usable option

Make them big and cheap with actually good colors

Sure but if people knew how good they are the high-end market would be flooded with them. Epic gamers wouldn't buy anything else. People who do graphic design would love the color depth etc.

People did see how good they where, it's why people held on to them or even purchased them still even after production stopped but eventually LCDs got good enough and even if they where still made, CRTs have there limits to what you can do with them

LCDs have yet to catch up in many areas. In fact only recently did they catch up to the highest end tubes in resolution.

The only thing that hasn't really been solved on LCDs which work properly on CRTs are Light Gun games.

Kill environmentalists.
They had banned them, because muh leaded glass.

CRTs are terrible and I hope they never come back in to the production, they're ugly, loud, heavy, and when discarded, they are some of the most dangerous consumer electronics waste.

IBM had a 4k LCD in 2001
For a CRT of the time to match, it would need a hell of a scan rate

hey somebody here netplay me 1v1 melee post a 5.9 code or die

is ther an eco friendly way to make an analog monitor?

Make them thin and cheap to produce. Maybe stop them from spewing radiation into my face too. Ever since I stopped using CRT panels, the frequency of my headaches reduced from every few days to once every 2-3 weeks.

>sees trinitron

>See trinitron
>A tiny screen occupies your entire desk
>Low resolution with huge square pixels and a visible pitch
>Physically impossible to tune the distortion out completely
>black levels? MORE LIKE GRAY LEVELS HAHA

I remember trinitrons and I don't miss them one bit.

You don't get headaches from radiation, nimrod. You get them from CRT flicker causing eye strain.

And they also whine

This, fuck CRTs in general for any use outside of military-grade vehicle displays.

Everyone to become brain damaged enough to buy them.
like this guy

CRT fags are the same same as vacuum tube fags except more autistic, and probably smell worse.

The whole deal with the tubes is that early transistor amps sucked shit balls.
Well guess what now they don't, they became objectively superior but the stubborn baby ducklings now insist that they love the distortions and imperfections of the tubes.

Same with LCD, the first panels on the market were fucking terrible, i remember.
The new ones aren't and if you're a pedantic fuck there are OLED that are absolutely gorgeous but you probably can't afford one and never leave basement to look at one in the store.

Unless you're 10 years old you probably can't hear CRT whine.

more people to give a shit about response times. Competitive gaming just isn't a big enough market for the kind of economies of scale you need for those 60lb beasts

What vehicles are you referring to?
The only screens in old vehicles I know of are the early touch screens in the toronado/reatta and the ones in the lagonda's gauge cluster.

Also the vector w8 had classic red gas plasma displays in its cockpit

Attached: Oldsmobile-Toronado-CRT-e1411582254585-720x340.jpg (720x340, 48K)

>Competitive gaming just isn't a big enough market for
Sports, sports, and sports.

I think i used one until 14 or 16 and it annoyed me.

Also i am fucking certain when i was a child i could see the tv remote glow.
Although maybe that was older LEDs or even bulbs emitted something in visible, don't know now.

Meh, I was using 8k crts back in the mid 90s.

Granted it wasn't much cop for moving images but then again the T220/T221 had it's own refresh rate limitations.

Attached: Screenshot_20190707-064530.png (1080x1920, 405K)

Infra/ultra sound may cause discomfort even if you can't discern it.

if they actually kicked up a fuss about that then that's one of their most retarded things to date. Leaded glass is one of the safest things you can make out of lead. If the monitor gets dumped in a landfill, the lead stays in the very not-biodegradable glass, and doesn't leach out into the groundwater where it can poison things.

Leaded glass in of itself is not banned, you can buy it for craft projects.

A 330s and 319s are still using CRTs in cockpits and output data to floppies.

Our company is still buying floppy disks for like 10$ each.
And we're sending the aircraft floppy drives to get refurbished and used again.

Flight software updates are also shipped on floppies

I just want a Tandy 1000 equivalent computer with a nice ass crispy vibrant as acid CRT to play DOS games

Attached: 11029384747831919.jpg (1024x980, 78K)

>And we're sending the aircraft floppy drives to get refurbished and used again.
They don't just get some Goteks?

Must be s special certified airworthy drive
Such drive livr for decades maitained since 80s like the ship of Theseus

I don't see any reason to use floppies anymore when HxC/Goteks exist. It's just a storage device. CRTs obviously have certain unique properties that other display technologies lack.

SED, which is never happening.

You have to make everybody blind before even trying something

sports don't need sub-500ms screen response times, nor does anything that's already dealing with transmission latency

I have 2 CRT TVs and I fucking can. I'm 26. You have to be deaf to not hear the ~15.7KHz noise they make.

Works fine in VR.

""""Gamer"""""

26 also checking in. Most CRTs never made much noise to me but every now & again I'll run into a loud squealer

They're never coming back, no matter how autistic and retarded you are.

Nothing because their advantages are considered irrelevant by the consumers but their disadvantages are not. They are also more expensive and difficult to manufacture and then there's the lcd cartel. All you can do is pray the latter will allow memeled or whatever technology to finally come into being and replace the lcd eyecancer that's been plaguing everything the last decade+. I wouldn't put too much hope into that. There are plenty of 1337x768 panels left to sell.

>The whole deal with the tubes is that early transistor amps sucked shit balls.

That is partly true, but it's more about the way tube amps distort. They drop certain harmonics, which solid state amps don't. This results in a "nicer" sounding distortion when you overdrive the amp, which is desirable in a guitar amp, for example.

So it does make sense to use tube amps for instrument amps, but for playback there is no reason not to use solid state.

Nothing. The only advantage they have is the latency, which is irrelevant with 1ms LCDs for gaymens. Consumer CRTs were always garbage and had basically no advantages even when compared to some early LCDs.

Forget about it and start hoping for quantum dot.

It already had a chance.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Attached: snap.gif (480x384, 578K)

ask.metafilter.com/11916/CRT-whine-how-to-stop-it

Evolution to the point that even our most petite women can squat 100 kilos like it was nothing. Those things were heavy af senpai.

Attached: 1560598175582.jpg (1280x960, 378K)

yikes

Remove burn in.
Weight.
Increase size.

It would require an average person to be deaf to not hear high pitched noise.

>a tiny screen occupies your entire desk
Not true.
>huge square pixels
CRTs don't have pixels , at best they just have a minimum dot pitch , and blame the TV standards , as back in the early 2000s , CRTs higher than 1080p resolution @ more than 75hz , and that wasn't even the highest end screens.
>impossible to tune distortion out
It's 100% possible if you open it. (Inb4 muh voltage but lcd screens has voltages as deadly around yet no one cares)
>black levels more like grey level huurduur
Trinitrons had an almost perfect black level the only CRT that has a shit black levels were extremely cheap ones (ex my very retarded "schneider" TV , and even there it fucks most of the LCDs out there in terms of black levels while costing 5 bucks at lost these days
Keep LARPing to prouve your ignorant opinion , faggot.

>1ms LCDs for gaymens
Pixel response time is not latency.

Crt literally has more latency than modern game optimized lcd screens and is stuck at shit 480p60 so keep nostalgia out of this board boomer there are enough intelligent people here to know how full of shit you are.

Pixel response time is not latency. Why not say 10+ ms instead, since that's what you actually mean.

bait

depletion of indium

Well, being overall a better solution than all the various types of flat panels would be a great start.

I could understand small to medium CRTs coming back (if they were to) they consume a whole lot less than the monstrous widescreen flatscreen ones. I think there was a perticular JVC set that consumed a monstrous amount.

I have a Toshiba 21" CRT (that I use to play older consoles on like the PS2) and it consumes only 60W. I also have a 2008 Samsung CCFL Backlit LCD and it consumes 190W (More than double my CRT!).

>CCFL backlit
Therein lies the problem, user. LED backlit monitors consume a lot less power.
For reference, my 55" LED backlit TV consumes a maximum of 80W at 100% brightness.

I realize you probably live in your mother's basement with a CRT and CCFL monitor (and thinking that 60W is low power consumption for a monitor, at that), but if you care at all about her power bill you may want to save up for some LED backlit monitors instead. Maybe she'll be able to buy you more tendies then too.

>all the nostalgic poorfags with a single-person bed and a desk in their whole basement room can't fathom the idea of a humongous block of plastic, weighing a ton and taking up 5 times too much space, isn't normal nor desirable
>but muhh respose/black/dot/whatever
Get over it, shitlord. Patch up that wall that you cut out to fit your 32" 300 pound crt and buy yourself a flatscreen and some furniture

>buy an inferior monitor
Nah. I'll wait until I can get a 4K 120Hz OLED for a reasonable price that doesn't die in a year.

>OLED
>superior to anyfuckingthing
it's like the fucking toilet paper of monitors

Nothing.

Maybe a startup or similar can target the very small audience who unironically wants a new CRT, but normalfags will never buy CRT again.

I've had a syncmaster back in the day, a TN panel. The viewing angles, the reaction time, the resolution were all state-of-the-art, I could spend 8+ hours, both working and gaming, looking at the screen without getting eyestrain or feeling tired.

CRT were fine but they were outclassed, sorry if this upsets you.

Attached: 205wb.jpg (600x548, 45K)

>flatscreen

>one of the best display technologies is lost in a patent warfare
I hate this fucking world so much.

I own a newer high end IPS. It uses less power, less space, and overall has more pros than cons than CRTs. They're not coming back.

CRT:s dont handle 1920x1080 resolution

A complete logistic rework of the television industry. Shit is heavy and expensive to ship from the far east. Weight limits on transpacific shipping cut margins into pieces.

The average person caring about and valuing blacks.

That's never gonna happen, though.

Retard

Dubs of stupidity. My 43 year old dad can still hear CRT hum.

Attached: image.jpg (1525x1105, 302K)

why would anyone want that when the endgame microLED is coming in 2 years

> 2 years
x10

Euthanize your OLED after 1-2 years b4 you kill yourself from looking at that disgusting degradation

They can't be brought back in their current form.
Some crt's are nice but more modern high refresh rate lcd's are just getting better and better. Nearly 0 reason to use a crt now.

>using
You don't really "use" the CRT of a film recorder in the traditional sense. It's not like you're looking at the screen, it's just part of the film transferring mechanism.

Is that the same thing as turning spent uranium into glass?

CRTcuck cope

The problem is it's very hard to find a TV that will just display a a image with very little delay.
Also nothing can match how good shit looks at it's native resolution on a crt. Try running a 640x480 game on a lcd

Eccentric billionaire nostalgia

Plasma replaced CRT with connoisseurs, not LCD. And are in turn being replaced by OLED.

this

It’s possible to make low distortion tube amplifiers, just expensive.

Oh shit it’s perfect.

>there are OLED that are absolutely gorgeous
And will look like shit after 400 hours as the blue element starts to die out.

>plasma
You mean the dim prone to burn-in cheap piece of shit every shop was trying to get rid off?
I remember how happy my parents were for ditching the shitty plasma for a bigger and better LED tv.

I count as a consumer and I diagree entirely.

Too bad you are one in billions. This meme isn't coming back, deal with it.

How do I know you're not an insignificant one in billions? No one's ever done a poll to find what display type the masses prefer.

People choose with their pockets back when LCD/Plasma became a thing. You must be actually retarded if you think anyone would prefer a CRT over any kind of flat panel.

I don't get this meme, consumer CRT were always garbage, specially TVs. They have no redeeming qualities.

Not really, it was more like the industry went one day oh well you're all going to use flat panels sorry if you disagree and people bought them because that was what's there.