/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: openbsd_puffy.png (1400x1270, 384K)

Other urls found in this thread:

man.openbsd.org/fdisk
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder:
OpenBSD still uses FFS
OpenBSD does not have mandatory access controls
OpenBSD is single-threaded
OpenBSD has terrible virtualization
OpenBSD is less based than Gentoo
OpenBSD’s best features are available elsewhere

also fuck trannies and fuck jannies

Attached: 1562170448641.jpg (1920x1080, 114K)

Just keep your bigotry contained to this thread and dont leak. We have enough of your shitposting on /fglt/.

Attached: pop off.png (930x524, 245K)

OpenBSD?
More like KawaiiBSD!

Attached: poster4.jpg (549x808, 409K)

Previous thread.

> OpenBSD still uses FFS
FFS works.
> OpenBSD does not have mandatory access controls
if you need MAC use something else. (Protip: don't use MAC if you're not gonna configure them yourself)
> OpenBSD is single-threaded
OpenBSD is only single threaded if you use a retarded meaning for the word "threads"
> OpenBSD has terrible virtualization
OpenBSD has virtualization, but desu that feature is kinda out of scope for what most people use OpenBSD for, if you really need better virtualization then don't use openbsd as the primary host
> OpenBSD is less based than Gentoo
Less based, as in, less close to death?
> OpenBSD’s best features are available elsewhere
It's easy to be right when you make up your own definition of right

thanks for trolling. i'm sure if you don't come around next thread, someone else will, and will make the same arguments for the millionth time

Do you guys dual boot OpenBSD with anything? If so, what do you use alongside OpenBSD?

>if you need MAC use something else. (Protip: don't use MAC if you're not gonna configure them yourself)

Attached: dielinuxdie.jpg (640x480, 249K)

OpenBSD is my modern OS of choice. I triple boot it with OS X and OS 9 on my Power Mac.
I also dual boot it on my Dell alongside Windows LTSB.

hes cute

He drank the cat-v kool-aid and depreciated himself.

I use it for a server. I'm thinking of putting it on a laptop. In both cases I see no reason to dual-boot.

No dual-boot for me. I prefer to have one laptop with OpenBSD and another laptop with Windows. My home NAS uses FreeBSD.

Based Uriel. RIP

I mostly post him to remind people like OP that they are responsible for his suicide.

Attached: berkleysoftwaredisorder.png (466x851, 64K)

nice writeup op, good thread. openbsd is my daily driver for the most part and i wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Nooo those guys are discussing something that I don't like and I'm afraid that they will go to my threads even though I'm doing exactly that and they never did anything similar at all".
Linux users are like those annoying cultist children that go everywhere and attempt to sell their bullshit, when they see some other religion that they don't like, they go completely nuts and start playing the victim cards. I respect Windows users because they never became cultists that base their identity on their operating system.
Now go back to your containment /fglt/ thread and hopefully never come back, and maybe consider getting a life or kill yourself trying.

i can't believe your dumb ass posts here STILL. you fucking namefagging loser faggot. literally get off this board every single time you post someone will always call you a shitcunt cause thats what you are.

Nobody is actually discussing it, its spam lol get a clue.

The funny thing is, OpenBSD threads involve a lot of discussing about the internals of their operating system (just yesterday they were discussing unlocking syscalls, before that they were discussing the technology behind pledge).
/fglt/ threads on the other hand involve a lot of mindless idiots that don't even know what a kernel is.

other os is windows for my fighting games.

Maybe a few real posts but 99% of it is generic spam bumps. These threads are basically automated, there is no fucking way any real discussion keeps them alive.

Please don't spam here, fill the form instead.
Keep this thread on topic and friendlier.

Attached: butthurt report form.jpg (2400x3000, 1.01M)

The fact that they are so butthurt and threatened by another OS proves that the most interesting thing going on in their lives is defending and shilling Linux, I wonder how they don't kill themselves.

I unironically respect Windows users, they realize that their operating system is just a tool for the job and they use it. They don't go around fighting Linux users and trying to "convert" them, they actually don't give a fuck about Linux, while Linux users screech about Windows all the time and they consider it their eternal enemy.

I tried installing OpenBSD with an ethernet connection, but it got nowhere. I tried each of the options and it never seemed to either detect the ethernet connection (which works fine, by the way) or install whatever files were on the main image. The details were so sparse that I have no idea what went wrong or right during the install, just that it became circular after the partitioning was done. Is there a trick to this? Most guides amount to "keep pressing enter."

I honestly imagine the bsd thread guy as someone so desperate for human interaction that he resorts to literally programming autobumping garbage posts so he can periodically check the thread for real questions in between beating his dick raw to loli.

>bsd thread guy
Funny how you say that, since the last thread has 100 individual posters and 313 replies
()
It seems like you are the desperate one here, trying to defend your cult by any means possible.

I'm about to set up 6.5 current and Debian 10 on a new 256GB Evo 860 ssd. I got OBSD and Debian working before with MBR and non-EFI... it was a little bit fiddly since I've never used fdisk before, and intimidating because of-
man.openbsd.org/fdisk
CAVEATS
Hand crafted disk layouts are highly error prone. It is common practice, though by no means required, that MBR partitions start on a cylinder boundary (generally head 0, sector 1, but head 1, sector 1 for track 0), and that MBR partitions also end at cylinder boundaries.

I'll be back in about an hour to tell you about it if things go to plan.

lol relax, this is Jow Forums. and linux users on Jow Forums don't just post in friendly gay lesbian thread

lol the threads get bumped hours apart and sometimes go for days to reach those numbers.

It's pretty fucking obvious that its being intentionally kept alive, any animosity is just regular bullshit on Jow Forums. The GCC vs CLANG shit was more entertaining but I guess it got too trolly for any long term maintenance. Dude just lost his nerve and gave up.

cut it with the offtopic bullshit
fuck

Did you get stuck when it says install the sets from disk or http? I think you need to select "disk not mounted" and specify the USB drive (probably sd1), otherwise you could try installing from http and select a mirror (scroll through the list and enter its number)... I once installed by putting the "sets" onto a separate hard disk and specifying it as the disk with the sets on it once when my installer was being fucky

Good luck.

Good luck with that.

Attached: seriousbusiness.jpg (612x408, 22K)

I suggest making this a general *BSD thread.
This way every *BSD will have it's own place on Jow Forums and every *BSD user will be able to discuss things about his *BSD.
We, *BSD users, need to be united.

>GCC vs Clang
>Dude
What, can't you believe that multiple people on the same thread want to discuss compilers? Or is that the common theme on Linux threads, where most people don't know what a compiler is let alone care about which one they use?
Some of us write actual code and have actual jobs you know.

This is seriously a great idea, if we unite our forces this thread could get really big and popular.

You need to dilate more, otherwise you will break. See

I've seen BSD general threads on Jow Forums before, I was a bit surprised, a bit skeptical, when someone started OpenBSD generals on Jow Forums (t. OpenBSD user) but they seem to hold up. Keep them going and see how it turns out, maybe OpenBSD is secretly really popular in this day of cybersecurity issues.

He posts about Uriel a lot, maybe one day he'll finally follow his example.

>I've seen BSD general threads on Jow Forums before
I never saw them (except for the baot one, what happened to it anyways?)
Were the *BSD generals successful? Or were they simply on life support?

I have exactly one (1) usb flash drive, and I'm trying to install OpenBSD onto it. Everything works fine until it comes time to install the sets, then I get a mass of "filesystem full" errors. I've tried downloading the sets (they download fine, but can't install), and installing the sets from a FAT32 partition on my harddrive (finds them fine, but once again, can't install). Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong? I've tried a little bit of tinkering with the partitioning, but without success.

Wait a minute, are you trying to install OpenBSD *from* and *to* the same flash drive?

Yes. The mini installer loads itself into ram, so afaik there's no reason why overwriting the drive should be an issue.

>I've seen BSD general threads on Jow Forums before, I was a bit surprised, a bit skeptical, when someone started OpenBSD generals on Jow Forums
Ironically, the guy that started the OpenBSD general is/was literally called "someone"
He eventually announced that he doesn't want to maintain it anymore though, and the thread is now maintained by different anons.
What a glorious journey.

I'm not particularly an expert on these things, but I don't think that the installer allows that.
I recommend buying another cheap flash drive to install it, anything above 500 MBs is probably fine, and they only cost about one ($1) to two ($2) dollars.

Change that abbreviation, you don't want to end like pic related
>/obsd/
>/obesity/

Attached: arch.png (300x300, 11K)

Back to your containment thread.

Yes, but I don't have one of those here, and judging by the fact that the installer lets me format my flash drive and then continues to run, I don't think that it particularly cares which device it booted from. I'm pretty sure this is some sort of partitioning problem.

Ok, ok, I tried to warn you, I'm gone...

Hey everyone, I know this is an OpenBSD thread but I can't find an answer anywhere so I'll ask here:
I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a laptop, but I can't get ZFS to not take the entire disk, I want the ZFS partition to take up a specific amount of disk space but the installer doesn't let me do that, any ideas?

They were ok, these OBSD ones are more popular though..
>Wait a minute, are you trying to install OpenBSD *from* and *to* the same flash drive?
>Yes. The mini installer loads itself into ram, so afaik there's no reason why overwriting the drive should be an issue.
Sorry that is actually funny.
How long do you think your system would stay online if you ran:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

No, OBSD means "Oh Beastie"

I don't know. Would it download files and mount drives just fine, but tell you that your filesystem is full when you try to write something to /dev/sda?

Having a *BSD general is a very bad idea, other than the name there's too little in common, also the shitposting will increase tenfold with cuck license, anti-oBSD pastas, hugs, toasters, it'll never end
Just ignore posts talking about other *BSDs and ignore troll posts, or this thread will turn to shit

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

This is probably the most honest version of the stupid interjection meme.
Also, you need to go back:

Is chromium more secure than Firefox? I heard multiple people claiming that but I can't find a specific source that says that.

post a pic of your partitions as during the install

no, it's just a meme

marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819

Migrating all my data to OBSD is going to be a pain in the ass.

Intel Management Engine and AMD Security Processor.
Good luck.

Chromium is more security oriented than Firefox yes, see

???

This thread is delightful, HUGE redpill on browsers, I wish more people would read it.

you mean openbased?

Attached: OpenBased.png (1200x781, 233K)

Non-BSDer here. Would you guys recommend Chromium, Iridium, or Chromium Ungoogled?
To what extent are any really protected from Chrome-type spyware?

ungoogled chromium, it's just a better version of iridium without a company behind it

Iridium's development has been stopped for a while, use Ungoogled-chromium (make sure to compile it yourself, since it doesn't seem to be compiled by the same people that make it).

>FFS works
barely. You're telling me your filesystem doesn't have hierarchical checksumming and bitrot protection?
>if you need MAC use something else. (Protip: don't use MAC if you're not gonna configure them yourself)
at least you admit OpenBSD, 'the security OS', doesn't have this.

FreeBSD users can fuck off. Make it Dragonfly- and OpenBASED only.

Attached: mug-dil.jpg (278x419, 74K)

Do you use OpenBSD as your desktop or more as a "fortress of solitude" type thing?

Why doesn't OpenBSD apply the ungoogled patches?

I'm a FreeBSD and an OpenBSD user, I don't see what's the problem with FreeBSD or why it shouldn't be included.

see
(none of that would apply to Dragonfly)

>fortress of solitude
is this what openbsd users do with their computers?

I still don't understand your point, are you implying that FreeBSD users are trolling OpenBSD generals?
I have bad news for you then, they're mostly Linux users. In fact, many FreeBSD people I know actually love OpenBSD.

If you don't see anything wrong with the FreeBSD """community""" then I see no point in discussing this further with you. Let's not shit up the thread anymore.

Agreed.

I wasn't asking as an OpenBSD user. Basically I'm wondering how it's used at all. Is it work oriented, or for home servers, or usable for media in addition to general security, etc.?

shut the fuck up you fucking tranny tripfag. Go rub a cumcrusted chinkpad against your limp dick

Can you please not reply to people whose trips my filter removes?

It's more or less all of those things, -release/-stable are good on servers and -current is good for personal machines (you could use -release/-stable, but packages will be outdated). The defaults are very sane for laptops out of the box, can't speak for desktops specifically but as long as you're not using any nvidia hardware I don't see why it wouldn't be good.

i don't know, ask the devs