What made IBM so kino back in the day?

What made IBM so kino back in the day?

Attached: ibm-pc.jpg (1200x798, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.com/e/slang/kino/
youtube.com/watch?v=qiyKKgG3C7s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bruh look at that clean design, the color display, the nice looking keyboard. Everything is easily accessible and clear as day.
It looks like a powerhouse and has beauty to match.

IBM was garbage.

Attached: Old_video_game_post_1.png (360x253, 153K)

What a nerd.

here's an interesting question, have you used the PC in the pic, or any other computer from this decade, and aren't fresh from some youtube celebrity "vintage" fuck and just want to jerk off on the a e s h i t meme of how the case looks

I used to have a Commodore 64. Used it for gaming as a kid.

When was the last time you used it? do you remember how much of a piece of shit it was

>do you remember how much of a piece of shit it was
I am not OP, but I do remember it was clunky. Especially I have used cassettes instead of floppy disks. Of course I doubt you can really compare those early home computers to more sophisticated DOS machines.
>When was the last time you used it?
I have used it back in the 90s. I have looked into emulation since then.

It wasn't.

You're actually retarded if you call a Junior a "powerhouse"

Awesome, thread over, go emulate it.

Turning it's time, as far as gaming micros went, it was far from a piece of shit, at least for several years after it's release.
Nowadays you'd obviously call it a piece of shit, specially usability wise.

>>>/SNEED/

80 columns.

Columnlets BTFO.

It was more of a business machine anyway.

their hardware specs

IBM had a proper industrial design team. The only other computer companies with proper industrial designers were Apple, Silicon Graphics, and DEC.

IBM's PowerPC processors were amazing at the time.

>Honeywell had a proper industrial design team. The only other computer companies with proper industrial designers were IBM, Elonex, Amdahl, and ICL.

Honeywell had mostly checked out by the PC era. OP's picture is of an IBM PC.

Anything mass produced is designed by industrial designers, it's what they are for.
It's like claiming only certain toilets get installed by plumbers.

The IBM PC was a complete piece of junk with a joke OS.
The only reason it became the standard was because it was so absurdly cheap.

>kino back in the day
>nice DMA
i too love choking my CPU when I need to move blocks between I/O devices and main memory.

This.

All the cool kids in the 1990s had Acers.

Consumer grade IBM stuff was always hot garbage. Zoomers romanticize them because all the surviving IBM shit that people care about consists of enterprise grade stuff like Thinkpads and Model M.

>/v/ once again giving opinions on things it knows nothing about
The IBM PC was shit for gaymes because unlike your precious Nintendo and Atari consoles, it didn't have dedicated hardware for sprite rendering. It's sound hardware was a beeper speaker whose only purpose was to emit basic sounds for system fault diagnosis. Early models shipped with MDA video controllers only capable of 80x25 text modes.
>Nintendo was faster for muh vidya games
The original PC clocked in at 4.77MHz. Even if the 1.79 MHz clock on the NES was bumped to 4.77, your fancy instruction pipelining won't save you from an abysmal lack of general purpose registers and the inability to index the stack.

The NES was a toaster with colorful 8-bit sprites. Trust a /v/tard to try and bash the IBM PC

Man look at the quality drop in vidyanerd posting.
This whole paragraph wouldve been:
>IBM
>not overpriced basedboy cuck SJW shit
lmao ok pajeet
>>laughing_wojak(ears).jpeg
If it was written today.

Thinkpads and buckling spring is comfy, but it doesn't give me a hard on for IBM. Especially since most ThinkPads actually in use are Lenovo products nowadays. I own a 5160, but mainly love it because of the history and compatibility. x86 and PC's are a fucking mess, but I always love that I can run the same programs on my workstation and XT. Never ceases to amaze me. Also, IBM's mainframes from the 40's through to the 60's were pretty based.

t. zoomerfag

unplanned obsolence

"What does kino mean?

Kino variously refers to a category of art-house cinema on internet message boards, an experimental film movement, or a term for intimate touch among certain men trying to seduce women."

dictionary.com/e/slang/kino/

Which is it OP?

>the nice looking keyboard

Attached: 949395F8-8A8B-4CC6-83EC-42ECA74A6291.jpg (1280x720, 416K)

>The only reason it became the standard was because it was so absurdly cheap.

It became the standard because it was IBM, and built largely off the shelf; so easily cloned.

>What made IBM so kino back in the day?
nothing made it kino. was overpriced bullshit for faggots that worked in the business world. nobody really gave any fucks until the end of the 80s. it wasn't until the proliferation of cheaper clones when people started giving a more than a fuck.

The shareware mainly.

>was because it was so absurdly cheap

Attached: costanza.jpg (250x250, 16K)

>Especially I have used cassettes instead of floppy disks

My Yuropoor sense is tingling.

'kino' .. dunno
take that as a positive ..
IBM pcs sold because people wanted lotus (the spreadsheet). they sold like hotcakes on the back of spreadsheet app, The spreadsheet saved accountants a greate deal of money. They were (prior), using those calculators with till rolls -constantly making mistakes. With a spreadsheet, with a mistake, you didn't have to repeat the work

PCs could not do arcade games as well as the NES. The NES could not do strategy, simulation, or adventure games as well as the PC.

It was more like an Apple II design-wise, in fact the PC was primarily modeled on the Apple II and TRS-80 Model II, although they would never actually admit to it.

>>was because it was so absurdly cheap
Even with staff discount a diskette-only model was more expensive than an Apple //c, which had color and a ton of freeware.

This!

Attached: MV5BYmZlMjIwYmYtY2M4OS00NDIyLWIwYWItZGRiMzUyZGI2NzYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg (800x985, 183K)

No shit dude it was a 16-bit machine. Why would it be cheaper than an 8-bit box?

Come on bro, do you even adventure?

Fuck off, dweenie.

IBM or Tandy were the only choices for this.

Attached: lsl.jpg (640x780, 128K)

The Apple II had ports of Sierra AGI adventures but they were crap.

>slow as molasses (this problem could be fixed by playing them on a IIgs in turbo mode)
>no sound
>various gameplay elements omitted because they just didn't have enough memory

I don't know why they even attempted them at all.

>PCs could not do arcade games as well as the NES
it couldn't even do games like a nes, c64 or any other 8-bitter due to its retard architecture.

because retard apple faggots wouldn't have cared less and would buy them anyway.

I remember seeing Kings Quest on an Apple and noticing how poor the quality was.

By the time those games were a thing the only customers for the Apple II were schools who got them on educational discounts.

youtube.com/watch?v=qiyKKgG3C7s

They should have just stuck to standard 6-color HGR graphics. It wouldn't have looked much worse and you'd have faster animation+sound would be possible.

On King's Quest 3 they had to leave out the clock thing that shows you how long Mannanan is out of town due to memory constraints which automatically makes the game much harder than it would be on the PC.

The DHGR mode on the Apple II gobbles 16k of memory. That's really too much for an 8-bit CPU to handle.

>The PCjr was planned for a late 1983 release to coincide with the Christmas season, but IBM weren't able to get it to market in time and its launch was delayed until January 1984. It had the misfortune of launching on the same day as the Macintosh, which occupied most of the attention in the computer press. The chicklet keyboard was one of the most surprising and widely condemned features of the new machine--Sierra co-founder Ken Williams and the president of Spinnaker Software both expressed their bewilderment. The two software developers had been contracted by IBM to produce games for the PCjr, but they were given pre-release machines with conventional keyboards. Ken Williams stated that he was "completely baffled" that IBM would do this. Both Sierra and Spinnaker argued that it could not do games as well as the C64, which sold for less than half the price.

>The PCjr not only failed to become the home computer juggernaut IBM had hoped for, but market research also found that the biggest customers for the machine were offices who wanted a cheaper PC that occupied less space on a desk. By the Christmas 1984 season, IBM had begun offering a 512k RAM expansion and a conventional-style keyboard. This improved configuration was a success and PCjr sales boomed for the holiday season. After Christmas was over however, sales quickly tapered off and IBM decided to pull the plug on the PCjr in March 1985, after slightly more than a year in production.

Apple IIs cost $1200. While that's not cheap, an IBM PC cost $3000.

The IBM PC wasn't perfect, no, but compared to the 8-bits like the Apple II and TRS-80 it was cleaner and had a more logically designed and less hacky architecture with fewer "gotchas"--it felt like a professional corporate product and not something designed by a neckbeard in a basement. The 8086 was also easier to code for than the 6502 or Z80 and required less jumping through hoops.

Andy Hertzfeld recalled the following:

>[Steve Jobs] was always pretty tight with money, but he let us go out and buy an IBM PC as soon as they became available in stores to take it apart and see what was in there. We were really disappointed with what we found. Old, old technology. It felt like the computer for the '70s. Way too many chips and none of the clever design tricks Steve Wozniak had used in the Apple II. The 8088 CPU was also way weaker than the 68000 used in Macintosh.

>>designed created and manufactured by and for the white people.

Quality

/thread.

Keyboard in OP's pic is very different.

/thread

>The 8086 was also easier to code for than the 6502
im pretty fucking sure you've never programmed in assembly using either CPU, because 6502 is the simplest out of them all. also, the z80 is based on 8080, you fucking idiot. 8088/8086 are shit to program anything on. if you knew how those CPUs worked, you'd fucking know this.

IBM CEO Frank Cary told them to basically do anything they wanted with the design, provided they could finish it in a year. They had so many people volunteering to work on the PC that they had to turn some away.

A more important question is why was this not released in the west?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 279K)

The MSX didn't get established here because it came out after Commodore had collapsed the US home computer market. They did actually sell two MSX machines here, one part of a Yamaha synthesizer, but neither amounted to anything.

LOLno. No 8-bit CPU is easier than the x86 to code on. Especially in how much more freedom you have on the x86 for how you can use registers (having to do all math operations with the accumulator is annoying).

Keyboard in OP's pic was released some time later. The chiclet one is what first shipped with the computer.

Just werked had them in elementary school.

Yet all the AGI games except the very last one (Manhunter: San Francisco) got Apple II ports.

In Manhunter: New York you're given the option of skipping the sewer maze because there wasn't enough memory to let you save your progress during that section.

I hated manhunter, it was so frustrating, I couldn't figure out what was happening, it felt like Sierra was trolling me.

But that's every Sierra game ever.

The MSX did got released on the west, dunno why it failed in america but in europe it was an underdog and spain seems to be its biggest market.

Appleworks was released originally as a demo product for the 128k Apple II models and became a massive success, even knocking Lotus 123 from its spot as the #1 selling personal computer application package.

At least with the other Sierra games I knew how to walk around, with Manhunter I had no idea of what was happening, I even asked older kids from the high school to try to help me and they couldn't even figure it out.