What is the oldest version of Windows that is still usable as a daily driver in 2019?

What is the oldest version of Windows that is still usable as a daily driver in 2019?

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

otter-browser.org/
github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases
rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/
wg9s.com/comm-esr/
github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/releases/
youtube.com/watch?v=MaynOXm1X3Y
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://w2k.flxsrv.org/&prev=search
dk.toastednet.org/vogons/win98/
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/45
shortcutworld.com/Linux-Mint/linux/Linux-Mint_Shortcuts
youtu.be/r_uYrzpzgrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

windows 10

8.1 for a few years

Windows 7 or XP maybe if you can get a browser working

Windows 3.1

nice image quality fag

Attached: rms faggot.png (544x267, 275K)

GNU/Linux

Windows 2000 with the unofficial SP5, KernelEx, some xp updates and DirectX 9c.

Unironically Windows 98. Most retro emulation rigs are using it and you can probably use some kind of old version of FF for web browsing.

I think Windows 98 can still browse the internet with a specific browser like Opera.

windows 98 if you want to use usb devices or any modern software at all

xp but browsers are a pain in the ass.

gentoo

Just set up Windows NT4.0 on a industrial application PC(ISA Slot interface thing so no going back). No fucking idea how I could get browsing to work. No device manager and list of abstract drivers fucking suck. Windows 2K is probably better, you can get some older versions of software and have a decent DD

How to develop a browser to work on XP/Vista at least?
How much it costs to hire someone to do it?

What are you even talking about? The uninformed retards spreading falsehoods in this thread need to fuck off. There are multiple browsers currently being developed for XP, and they work just fine. Otter Browser, New Moon (Pale Moon fork), MyPal (Pale Moon fork), and seamonkey 2.49 is still being maintained. I don't even know why I bother posting here anymore. Nobody has the slightest fucking clue what they're talking about. 15 minutes of google searching would've provided you with this -

otter-browser.org/

github.com/Feodor2/Mypal/releases

rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/

wg9s.com/comm-esr/

Oh, and here is a Windows 98 browser.

github.com/rn10950/RetroZilla/releases/

This. You probably COULD make Windows 98 or ME semi-usable for basic tasks if you really wanted to, but 2000 is a significant leap forward in terms of compatibility with modern programs and still perfectly usable for day to day tasks.

If by "daily driver", you mean basic office stuff, any version that has a GUI. Just don't expect any updates or bugfixes for anything older than 7.

I forgot Serpent as well (UXP). This one is built for XP by the same guy who does New Moon.

>Too dumb to know a modern browser can still work on Windows 7

As for XP, there's an active project in porting the latest UnGoogled Chromium to it.

sick image quality user

Attached: y0qmu84.jpg (750x676, 287K)

Can someone tell me what the deal is with windows 9x kernel extensions?

Windows 9x kernel extensions extend the kernel on Windows 9x.

Honestly, I didn't know these were a thing, I'm doing a retro LAN party in two weeks and these will be great, thank you

No prob

Windows 10.

Kys

Attached: FB_IMG_1555854273163.jpg (720x750, 32K)

Opera works.

Opera for Windows XP/Vista
Opera 36

This and Windows 7 if you don't give a fuck about security as 7 still has modern browsers

Well by that logic you can find old installs for other major browsers as well. Opera 36 is really old.

What's the newest version of Java that can run on this unholy amalgamation

Yeah, but opera provides you the link without hunting for it.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 236K)

Cant remember

youtube.com/watch?v=MaynOXm1X3Y

Here is a funny sort of related video.

windows 98SE with KernelEx.
win 3.11 for workgroups with 32 bits execution

i have an old Thinkpad T22 i picked up from Goodwill has widows 95 it unusable on the internet no pages will load

came here to post this

You could go real far back if virtual machines are allowed. 90s systems are so small compared to today that it wouldn't be a problem on modern hardware; 1 hardware thread, 1 GB of hard drive and 128 MB of RAM is absolutely luxurious by win95 standards.
Use an extremely locked down win2k image with 3.5 GB of RAM and two threads for web browsing, block most scripts, and that's enough for a shitload of tabs.

This is assuming you're fine with using the old programs, of course.

>1 hour
fuck that

i also came here to post this. if you really care about windows you should be able to afford a new computer and if you aren't well, i feel a little sorry for you but mostly i don't care

Windows 10 1903 runs just fine on my 8-year old FX6300.

that doesn't really contradict what i said
ok

if you don't care about webshit: Windows 95 or 3.x/NT 3.51 with 9x shell
if you somewhat care about webshit: Windows XP or maybe of course your individual needs may vary to the point that is a legitimate answer
a peak 9x system would probably have a 4.5 or 9 GB disk
if course if you could afford high-end SCSI disks you probably weren't running 95

>if you really care about windows
imagine "caring" about an operating system like it's some kind of woman with expensive taste

the OP does.
windows, computers, whatever

I tried and I couldn't find one that worked.
I wonder if NT might have better luck even though its software support was shittier back in the day.

Yeah I was ratifying what you said.

Windows 2000 from this Japanese guy. He did a lot of work on it.
translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://w2k.flxsrv.org/&prev=search

dk.toastednet.org/vogons/win98/

NT's internet abilities are about the same as 95's, still passable depending on what kind of sites you frequent but 98 definitely has more support by virtue of being more popular.

Attached: 1555436079733.jpg (2000x2060, 116K)

how do you trust those

The same way you trust whatever Mozilla or Google shit out on a regular basis.

Yeah all those handhelds running embedded win98

Not long, though.

Unironically Windows 2000

>implying there is a usable version of Windows

Will this work on Win2000 too?

Windows XP.
However.
WARNING!
you need to have a installer on a USB with a modern web browser because you run into a chick and egg problem because practically all websites use HTTPS while windows XP IE dose not support HTTPS. While you technically can download old FF and have HTTPS all the websites providing FF downloads use HTTPS only.

I know because I use XP VMs to run some win software to download images (no wget can not into multiple booru downloads). Its(VM) extremely lightweight and the software just werks.

Another question why not use linux?

Attached: the-most-famous-windows-wallpaper-ever-turns-20-505668-2.jpg (1920x1080, 232K)

I could download Links browser using vaniall IE from there I could browse httpq sites and download stuff but Links doesn't support js so yeah it´s still faster to just put an installer on a usb stick

>I could download Links browser using vaniall IE
How?
Explain this to me.

i'm guessing he's an idiot or a troll from his spelling errors (and that it's male just from the probability) (more likely to be an idiot than a troll)

How do you download lynx? on windows XP? Do you not need to go to a website that most likely did implement HTTPS now? Going ot the same HTTPS problem?

I want this explained because I'm interested.
>his spelling errors
Show where my errors are also I'm ESL.

>I want this explained because I'm interested.
I don't know but I would ignore his post completely.
>Show where my errors are
"ot" should be "to". "did" should be "does". Your English is not really good but it's OK.

Windows 10 as Windows 7 is barely usable. Has default software usable for fuckall modern file format support. No thanks. Program or codecs need for webm? h.265? mkv with whatever the fuck in it? FLAC? But in 2019 why when it can all work out of the box?

>Your English is not really good but it's OK.
Thanks, I'm more fucked up in English writing because of all the bullshit involved in it, speaking is far easier also reading.
>"ot"
I know this happens to me from time to time I type fast and I hit keys out of order especially when they are apart and I use different hands to access them.
Do others also get this problem while typing?

>Windows 10 as Windows 7 is barely usable
WHAT? It works great and will for years the only danger is new games or application deciding to not be compatible with it.
>Has default software usable for
Yes because everyone is excited for the new IE that is only in new versions in windows. Or Edge Lord or whatever the name of that shit is now.
>Program or codecs need for webm?
The fuck? What do you use?
I use VLC and last time I checked VLC is not included in windows10. Don't tell me you use windows media player (or whatever the name of the year for this crap is now)
> But in 2019 why when it can all work out of the box?
If you want out of the box experience use linux mint(comes with VLC) it comes with all the shit you need and works after installation.
Also why? You always need to install some thing to make windows less shit.
Shilling win10 to have the latest IE and windows media player and MS Paint is a really stupid idea.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

sorry, i imagine posts talking about how windows 7 is usable to mean "i'm too poor to afford a 15 year old computer that can run windows 10"

Its ok user we know you're retarded

Attached: 1533052798227.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

People don't want win10 because its spyware and if you need a windows in a VM or whatever use 7 to piss of MS in their statistics.
>"i'm too poor to afford a 15 year old computer that can run windows 10"
Wait so win10 bloated so far that it surpassed win7? How? 7 was the max on how a OS can bloat...
Wait the MS A.I. spyware to psychologically profile you and record everything you do in the OS must cost shit loads of resources. I think I answered my own question.

Attached: 1562474847551.jpg (750x737, 82K)

While I admirer your dedication to retro and have a soft spot for win98 you have to admit that computer must be a brick.
1024 MiB or RAM.
WOW what can you do on it? I understand you can watch movies(torrents only or local files) and use office and listen to music however can you even run any modern application?
You definitively can not seriously use 3D modeling (blender project can eat 15GiB of RAM for me.) Or go into video editing.
And can you even enter the modern web? In like will it not fuck up your PC and eat 1GiB or RAM simply for viewing 1 page?

What do you do there?
Personally I'm to addicted to linux and cinnamon with my work spaces and my snapping of GUI-windows and Xviewer(linux exclusive software) the best picture viewer out there to ever go back to MS windows.

so you know how to use a vm. good for you. i can't imagine using 98 outside of a vm in this year.

i think that the set of people who care about computers enough to care about using an old os and who can't afford a computer that can run windows 10 is very small. maybe not nonexistent though. i have no reason to care really though

i use windows right now. i could use linux (and have before) if i wanted to but i don't want to. i agree with most of what you said though. i think linux is OK but i don't think it's really great. the OP is a hipster and should find something else to care about.

>i use windows right now
I'm more interested if you use your 1024MiB machine and for what?

> i think linux is OK but i don't think it's really great
Trust me give a try to cinnamon its a really great DE. you need to learn keyboard shortcuts and experiment with things however its really good and you are addicted after seeing what you can do(I can give you things to experimenter with if you are interested).

And windows after XP turned into a joke:
Win 98 all pictures are opened in IE
Win XP: Windows finally gets a image viewer. You can see animated GIFs in the viewer
Win 7: MS starts removing features image viewer still there can not open GIFs clicking GIFs opens them in IE (what the fuck!) Viewer can be tricked into opening a GIF and it works however no animation.... What the fuck!

What is a good image viewer in windows tried irfanview and imageglass. Irfan is crap and imageglass crashes like a lot and can perma fuck itself see
>have picture on USB open in image glass
>Close image glass shut down computer
>Remove USB
>Start computer
>Want to see a picture on the HDD
>Try opening it with image glass
>Image glass freaks out that it can no longer access the picture on the USB stick (yes it always tries to access last picture viewed), can not see the picture you wanted in like unless imageglass can get to access the old picture form the USB.
>Welcome to the perma fuck.

The only thing windows is good is to start programs who are vendor locked into windows. You want to start the application and not interact with that shit OS.

Attached: f3d.png (257x250, 127K)

>1024MiB machine
that was a different poster

ignore this post

>1024MiB machine
that was a different poster

OK.
I was only fascinated how life on a 1024 MiB machine is.

Want to know about cinnamon?

sure why not

This is the cringe autists are made of. How can you unironically talk like that?

After installing cinnamon try this.

WIN key + arrows can move the windows around.
CTRL+ALt+UP Arrow = exposé mode. You can click the plus button to get more work spaces (virtual desktops) or delete them.
In exposé mode. You can use arrow keys to change the work space and press enter to enter it.
CTRL+ALT+ Left/Right arrow changes to the next/previous work space
CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+Left/Right arrow = move the active window to the left/right work space.

middle clicking a folder will open it in a new tab in the file viewer. You can drag out tabs out of the viewer to make them their own windows.
Middle clicking on tabs in file viewer will close them.

You have a big ass slider to change the thumbnail size or use CTRL+mouse wheel up/down.
The view style (icons,columns,details ) is not bound to the thumbnail size so you can have a details view with gigantic thumbnails unlike in windows.

WIN+E Spawns a new file viewer window (in home directory).
CTRL+W closes tabs.

Use Right click and select "open in terminal" to get instantly the current folder in terminal (this is useful, you don't need to navigate to it using cd like some retard) it gets really nifty if you are using youtube-dl.
CTRL+ALT+T spawns a new terminal window (locate in your home directory).

I think this is all maybe I have forgotten other things.
Have a look at the recommendations from the devs:
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/45

Other people:
shortcutworld.com/Linux-Mint/linux/Linux-Mint_Shortcuts

Attached: 1562530795684.png (680x680, 888K)

i'm not autistic and i don't think it's funny to joke about mental illness

SJW detected!
You don't belong here, this is a white supremacist website.

make like hitler and caress yourself with the barrel of a gun, nazi scum

You wish.
Daily reminder one Hitler post a day keeps the SJW cancer away.
youtu.be/r_uYrzpzgrI

>hitler
>White
imagine being so retarded.

Attached: Hitler.gif (240x286, 629K)

8.1 but if you use it you should consider killing yourself

Not sure, bit last I checked it was a version recent enough to run Minecraft.