Your age

>your age
>your favourite distro
>your favourite desktop environment

Attached: 1562564047085.jpg (1159x994, 165K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fedora
KDE on Desktop
I3 on Laptop

Attached: b.jpg (474x266, 6K)

Linux Poop
Whats a desktop evviromtent

nixos
none+xmonad

Attached: nixwaifu.jpg (499x550, 49K)

Manjaro
xfce

Ubuntu
Xfce

Attached: 1562552697983.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Windows 7
Windows Aero

Attached: Captuerttttre.jpg (1160x649, 83K)

>Manjaro

Does it break a lot?

OP, it's not called 'desktop environment'. It's called 'desktop evviromtent', as has said.

Void Linux
tty/dwm

Attached: brainlet.jpg (601x508, 60K)

MacOS
Aqua

Windows 7
Windows Aero
just werks for everything

Attached: n9JxT7o.gif (346x360, 873K)

arch
sway

>2019
>windows
>windows

people use anything other than Arch?
Plasma if I had gun pointed to my head and I have to choose DE and bullet is not an option, otherwise i3

Are you me?

>age
>distro
laptop: mint/ubuntu (basically no difference)
server: debian
gayman: windongs ltsb 2k16 - pretty much as broken as home + can't disable windows update no matter what I try edition
>DE
cinnamon

Hi me, it's you

Ubuntu, but Fedora is at a close second.
I don't have a favourite DE, only a least painful one to use: Xfce

Qubes
KDE or xfce
Used to like gnome before the remodeling

Fedora
GNOME

ubuntu
doesn't matter much, but I use i3 because it's less resource intensive

Ubuntu
Unity

ubuntu / freebsd depends what im doing
herbstluftwm

Antergos
KDE

Fedora
Vanilla Gnome

>23
>Debian/Arch
>no DE, just Openbox

fedora,centos,nixos
don't really have favorite but gnome for just works, awesome for ricing

>26
>slackware
>awesomewm

Based and nixpilled. Literally lightyears ahead.

>your age
>your favourite distro
Arch Linux, although i still have a soft spot for debian, which was my first.
XFCE

Attached: 20190628133153_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.08M)

Fedora
Deepin

Solus
Budgie

>25
>Gentoo/NixOS
>KDE Plasma

Old enough
Artix
dwm or Openbox

Arch
awesomewm

Among those, my age was the only thing that changed in the last ~9 years.

MX
XFCE

Redpill me on nixos. What advantages does it have over ubuntu with it's support or Manjaro with the AUR and customization?

de benis
Xfce

almost everything: Windows 10
rarely: Debian + MATE in a VM if i need it

I like nix but don't even bother coming from those two unless you have an interest in programming and tinkering

arch
xfce (I use i3wm tho)

Manjaro
i3wm

fedora server edition
no

I do, what advantages does nix offer for that? Thought arch based with kde was about as flexible as it got. How does it make development easier?

Fedora
LXQt / Openbox

>30
>PCLinuxOS
>Lumina

Windows 10
The default blueish theme of the latest upgrade

Windows 10 is the shit

Vista
Aero

windows
windows

debian
i3-gaps

holy shit i thought im the only one here
I'm so happy nixbros

It has support for literally everything because of the way dependencies work as you can have multiple versions of everything
It has its own AUR called nixpkgs which is a git repo on github with all the builds
It is impossible to break
It is portable as in you can replicate your zntire build down to every config from copying one text file into another computer
It is based on based functional programming
It requires good technical knowledge on par with that of gentoo so no brainlets making the distro dumber

laptop: CentOS
server: CentOS
workstation/dev: Fedora

DE: cinnamon, pantheon (if it works)

>i'm not a robot

Attached: av.gif (80x80, 3K)

arch
awesome-wm

sounds based. should i try nix on its own before trying the os? also, package maintenance is through nixpkgs, correct?

Arch
i3-gaps

>24
>Windows 10
>Metro

MX
XFCE

win 10
modern

OpenSUSE TW
KDE Plasma/i3

Imagine being 30+ and still go on this incel pedophile website for virgins
You guys are getting close. Improve your pathetic lives soon

you're here too, dumbass

>24
>Void and W10
>bspwm and whatever the fuck windows uses

Attached: 2 genders.jpg (480x442, 37K)

I'm young and hip

It's called being a newfag.

This might have stung somewhat if I didn't exclusively browse Jow Forums on my phone while on the loo. Years ago, I spent way too much time here on a daily basis. Watching this video finally helped me get the drive to pull myself away: youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ

Just as well too, given how much Jow Forums has taken over this dump. It never smelled like roses, but it didn't reek quite this much.

Guix
Motif

you nixos fuckers, ive been using it for a few years and wrote a big thing about it but looks like something got fucked up and the post didn't go thru.

I'll just say, try NixOS. i guess if im honest, dont fuck with it unless you are good with multiple programming languages, especially knowing lisp or haskell is helpful. The nix language is really weird and confusing at first but once you get it figured out its perfect for the job. you gotta be careful with it since you can make a big mess if you dont manage your code, especially considering that things like config files and shell scripts can be embedded inside nix.
Ive never had another OS be so easy to setup and be so bulletproof, but i have over a dozen years of serious linux experience, and im a polyglot programmer. Ive mistakenly called things easy before, to find out im the 0.1% of people that find them easy, so just as i wouldnt tell any random person to try linux, i wouldn't tell any random linux user to try Nix OS. however, if you have interest, do it and see what happens. Nix represents the future of operating system design.

Pop! OS
not sure, i think its called ubuntu? whatever pop os has.

Windows XP
Kde 3.5

retrotechie represent, waddup!

ubuntu 16.04
unity

Archlinux
None + i3wm

dont worry, its just some kid that doesnt realize this website is 15 years old. if you first came here when you were 25 youd be 40 now. i know a lot of people were underage at the start though, so 30 isnt that old for Jow Forums. plus, these days new users are from nearly all demographics, my damn dad found out about this website and started shitposting on pol, hes a successful businessman (although now hes old and mostly stays home while others manage his businesses)

nice
try
NSA

>>your age
>>your favourite distro
desktop: Fedora
laptop: Guix
>>your favourite desktop environment
desktop: vanilla gnome
laptop: xfce

>your age
>your favourite distro
lfs 8.4 based custom autistic garbage
fbterm+tmux on tty, i3wm on xorg

Attached: grab.png (226x117, 24K)

Android, Windows 8.1 is actually better mobile interface but limited with new devices
Moto Launcher, it's ok. Windows when I have to use a computer work s fine, at least it's not the gay that is African Linux.

>not using your phone
You better be on a tablet.

Solus
Budgie

macOS
Aqua

distro: windows 10
desktop environment: windows 10
Favorite Linux Distro: The one that is called windows 10 :) for now ;)

Attached: trollface-deal-with-it-troll-face.png (991x806, 105K)

Open BSD
dwm

>dont fuck with it unless you are good with multiple programming languages
Where did this meme come from? I only hear it on Jow Forums.
You can get a basic arch-equivalent setup going in 15 minutes by just following the built-in manual.
For better config, as in making your own nix expressions, all it takes is RTFM. You can just go through nixpkgs and see how it looks in action (especially expressions maintained by vcunat). Nix is easier than shell scripting, you just have to RTFM.
Nixpkgs doesn't have something? Making your own package takes 30 minutes at worst, unless it's some webshit idiotic monstrosity that needs patching. Nixpkgs doesn't have the newest version (blender 2.8 for example)? Just make an overlay in 2 minutes with nix-prefetch-*.

Arch
KDE + i3gaps

23 in a week
Went full circle on the Jow Forumsentooman cycle, started liking Ubuntu again
KDE, but on Arch

none 28 gentoo

because its pointless. if you want to make an archlike setup, then use arch. For me, most of nixs power comes from the nix language which is not a normal language and has poor documentation. Reading nixpkgs is in fact necessary for any sufficiently advanced task in nix, and i expect doing that to be a massive waste of time for somebody that isnt comfortable quickly picking up nix. Also, if you want to write nix packages its going to suck if you dont have familiarity with whatever language the software youre packaging was written in (unless its just a small c progran with no deps).

Nix will one day have easier interfaces and better documentation, but today is not the day. i still recommend anyone interested tries it, but i give fair warning because i respect peoples time, im not one of those assholes that tries to make granny learn linux.

>implying this isn't exactly where we belong

Attached: loli_juice.jpg (555x640, 41K)

If your nix configuration is simply flipping options and copy-pasting from the net, im not sure youre gettin much out of nix. a large part of what makes it useful is being able to use metaprogramming to build a system. At the very least you need the nix language and shell scripting, but knowing other languages will give you knowledge that is also pretty necessary, like knowing git, knowing how systemd works, etc. The point of multiple langs isn't that yoh need those languages for Nix but you need the experience to be able to jump in and get things done, and i argue that nix is pointless if its not saving you time, if it takes a bunch of time to learn why not use debian? personally Ive spent less time screwing with nix than any other system, and have gotten better results, but i have no illusion that the average person on Jow Forums would have as good of an experience.

Arch
Openbox + Tint2

Why do they have an adam's apple?

>he thinks he's ever gonna leave

MS-DOS 6.22
CMD

Attached: z1.jpg (280x220, 18K)

Distro? Lol I use windows 10
Uhh Windows?

>29
>Mac OS 9
>Platinum

Attached: image.jpg (3200x2048, 1.6M)

fedora
LXQt

i dont kno that game but it brings back memories of being a kid playing text asventure games on my dads pc when he'd bring me to his office

Infocom text games are pretty good. I prefer The Lurking Horror.

Attached: the-lurking-horror_1.gif (640x400, 10K)

Arch
dwm/bspwm/i3

Arch Linux
dwm

>B-B-BUT MUH BASED DEBIAN!
>THOSE LITTLE NOOBS USING UBUNTU!LOL!

Attached: Screenshot_20190708_184344.png (278x138, 15K)