Is the military a good place to work in /tech/?

I'm tired of all the places hiring entry level people in my area. All start ups with "cool" office culture and no real company direction.

Attached: 1521659135987.jpg (2100x1400, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mattstoller.substack.com/p/the-coming-boeing-bailout
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, the military is a fucking awful place to work. only consider it if you can't get hired anywhere else and only use it to get a job elsewhere.

aren't pistols with that kind of folding shoulder brace illegal?

No, any government job no matter where you live is a last ditch resort if literally no one else in the entire country wants to hire you.
Government IT jobs are absolute hell, think big companies are bad to work for? You haven't seen anything yet if you haven't worked for gov entities yet.

also some companies will see any kind of government work as a stain on your resume due to the reputation of the kinds of people who work there

Also this. It can actually hurt future job prospects because everyone knows what kind of people work govt jobs. A friend of mine does hiring for a local company, they filter out any and all people that have worked in govt jobs before or served in the military, and I can't blame them one bit for it.

Damn. Well I am sort of at that last ditch resort kind of stage (damn near a NEET by now) so I'm still considering it. Any personal stories on their work quality?

Attached: 1527492338838.jpg (1100x675, 477K)

Interesting. So that is how a functional economy works.
In my failed state it's the other way around. Private sector is comprised of 99% small companies (less than 20 employees) and it is considered the worst option, vs public servant jobs with salaries 50-100% higher, life-long contracts, and reduced schedule from 8:00 to 15:00.

Have you worked in big companies with lots of bureaucracy and red tape before? Multiply that by 1000 and you get a vague idea of just how bad govt jobs are in terms of bullshit you need to deal with before any work can get done.
And then there are your coworkers, insufferable cunts complaining all day instead of doing their fucking job because they know it's borderline impossible to get fired.

Seriously just don't user. It's better to be a NEET and learn by yourself to get better chances of a job than working in a govt job.

Of course that varies vastly depending on the region, but in the US/Canada and Central Europe govt jobs are a death sentence if you have any career aspirations for the future.

government jobs are seen as a place where "lifers" go to rot and basically get nothing done, people with no ambition or skill to get ahead who can't operate at a high level. promotions are all time based and it's seen as where you go if you just want to cruise your whole life doing nothing. working too hard at a government agency is literally socially stigmatized by other government workers.

military+tech = ineptitude

mattstoller.substack.com/p/the-coming-boeing-bailout

the only exception I've heard to this though are certain agencies where industries want to poach people from there. the one I know is that commercial banks like to hire people who worked at the central banks of some countries. but that is a massive exception.

For cybersecurity, it's pretty good. Also, there's a difference between government service and working for a government contractor.

>For cybersecurity, it's pretty good
Not really, if you want into cyber security your best bet is an academic career before entering the private market.

it SUCKS. I've been wanting out, considering freelancing rn.

do you actually need academic tenure? I thought netsec fags nowadays were actually facing a real shortage of talent and not a made up one like in data science, where you can just get hired any time you want

Yeah. Well here it is the "clever" option. Private sector is bullshit, the only ones making money are the owners and nepotism is rampant. Private sector workers are like shudras with no contacts.
Public servants are considered good at cheating life, they pass a difficult exam with 100 candidates per offered post, have to outrank them, but after that, the life is "done". They are the only ones buying homes and having babies.

It's a giant boost to your job prospects and salary.
And yeah IT Sec in general has had a huge shortage of actually competent personnel for years, but that doesn't mean they just hire whatever they get their hands on. The big companies hiring all basically expect an academic background preferably in Maths even if it isn't always explicitly stated. At least that is my experience.

THIS. 1000x.
FFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK I'm at a crossroad and been building a cv for freelancing but you said it's bad AAAAAAAAAAAA I've sent it to a potential employer. fuck.

I'm pretty sure the scorpion is classified as a PDW not a pistol

When I was about to graduate and was looking for my first job I mentioned to my dad I was looking at some government jobs and he straight up told me not to do it and he said that at the company he works for, an engineering firm, they wouldn't hire somebody out of government.

he's a regular at /mkg/ its airshit

you described it right. but the ones buying homes are chink and the ones breeding are niggers

what country

I arguably don't have the experience to really feel like I'm making sense here but I'd like to voice an opinion. I work with medical tech.
Whenever I have to deal with some sort of issue that I feel doesn't really fit into my job description or is just a clumsy process that we have for 'no good reason'. I just characterize that as 'part of the job' or 'paid time'.
I don't really feel bad about these situations. At most I feel like I worry for the company's health because it doesn't seem effective. But usually I see some reason for most cumbersome things we do. It's mostly got to do with reducing chance of human error.
Maybe I've only faced very light loads of what I view as BS. But I'd imagine the military is similar. But from my perspective it's hard to see how it'd really get to you even if I was convinced it's actually pointless. Maybe I don't enjoy my job enough to be bothered? I feel like I face more of this than most. I couldn't explain how a lot of software is so buggy and generally awful otherwise.

>where you can just get hired any time you want
You mean with relevant experience? Sure

>government jobs are career enders
I don't see how you could even know. Maybe it's hard to me to get because it's not like that here. I'm in Sweden.
What would drive that?

Spain.

why not move to the netherlands or denmark or something

MedTech is very much a different beast than govt jobs. a) in MedTech it makes sense to have all that bureaucracy and red tape to reduce human error, and b) you actually have less of that than in govt jobs. As you said there is a very valid reason for the cumbersome shit that needs to be done in your field, but in govt jobs there is no reason whatsoever and even worse than that getting shit done is frowned upon by your coworkers.

>I don't see how you could even know.
>What would drive that?
I've worked in this field for almost 2 decades now believe it or not. And I know of a lot more companies that straight up filter out job applicants that have worked govt before than those that don't.
Government workers don't have a very good image and in my experience for a very good reason. General sentiment between friends and coworkers I had through the years was and still is that if you are too incompetent and/or lazy to get a job in the private sector you go and find a government job. And in my experience that has always held true so far.

Would you consider companies like General Dynamics or Raytheon to be private? Don't they scoop a lot of their workers from government/military sources?

I'd say that doesn't count, government contractors aren't always really government jobs and are more like procurement fraud engines masterfully extracting wealth from incompetent bureaucrats

don't start glowing user

>medtech vs government jobs
I was thinking military specifically. To me it's a very similar situation. You save people or you don't in medical tech. People's lives are important to them. Their Twitter feed quality is less important usually.
In the military you do the same thing, you just also ensure that some people die. A failure on that front implies the wrong people die. And of course the things that kill the enemy could backfire and kill the wrong people.

>why not move
It is not that easy. Also:
>survive
>adapt
>win

Contractors are a different thing (to me at least) than a straight up government job. Contractors in my experience are just like other people from the private economy, some are great competent people others are idiots where I have to wonder how they got the job in the first place.

You can't compare general military tech jobs and MedTech, if we're talking MedTech vs Aerospace or similar then yes, but those are far from entry level jobs and aren't even government but contractors, if you work for the military directly you'll never be working on the embedded systems of the newest fighter jet or anything even remotely close to that. And the entry level and much more common (government) military tech jobs are just as much hell as a job working for your local city as a Sysadmin or something like that.

Honestly I would love to glow more than anything else. Had a good chance but didn't study for an entry exam like a should have and now here I am.

Attached: 1476206950625.jpg (3000x2008, 2.66M)

is it not though? I moved from canada to singapore and then to america for jobs. can't you euros just go to any eu country and live there right away? it's gotta be easier than what I did.

Yes we can but most people just don't for whatever reasons they have. Personally I never understood it either.

did you ever read the candid interview with the drone operator guy who said they ham up how much they feel bad about doing it to public sources and in reality they basically feel nothing at all killing people because it's so abstract
that shit always stuck with me

I mean yeah I'm a filthy leaf so what do I know but I always thought it would be so much easier to be in the eu where you can just go to germany or denmark or sweden wherever has a good lifestyle and job market right away without dealing with the lengthy visa stuff I've had to do.

Freedom of movement within the EU is not as great as in the US between states. You're allowed to visit for several months no problem. Settling is a different issue. You can get a work visa easier than from outside the EU. But basically you need similar reason to move that you need for moving between any two countries.
The northern countries would be absolutely swarmed otherwise. Because of welfare systems and pay.

>medtech doesn't compare to entry level military
I see. Makes sense.

Yeah but personally I never had a problem with any of that, as soon as I got the job offer everything else was basically already accounted for and I really only needed to move and fill out some paperwork.

ok that makes sense

it depends on the position, government jobs can be very good, usually higher ups get a contract, they completely fuck it and waste millions implementing it only for entire thing to be scrapped at the end, its taxpayers money so no one knows anything where the money went and what happened. If you go there with a mentality like that and be smart you can make a ton of money. Even if you are a code monkey, be smart about it, you can maintain some shitty worpress tier project/site/system full time with extra overtime for the next ten years, make sure it breaks often, and make sure you are good at fixing it

>The northern countries would be absolutely swarmed otherwise. Because of welfare systems and pay.
they're still getting swarmed either way, net migration is flooding to the rich eu countries. denmark might have to start slashing programs because the taxes can't go any higher.

Dont listen to these neets. I'm a 3D1X2 in the AirForce(Cyber Transport Technician) and I've been in for 2 years. It's a pretty good gig. I do base communications and maintain our networks. I mainly activate drops/configure and install switches/design solutions for network requirements and do my school work. You get 6 months of technical training, Sec+ certified, 4500$/yr to take college classes, a GI bill, free healthcare housing and food allowance. Once you make the rank of Senior Airman they will pay for you to take certifications such as CCNA/CCNP. They sent me on trips to learn Cisco Voip/CCNA and CCNP crash courses and wireshark training. There are several people in my shop who were in the military doing my job and got hired doing the same job at the same desk for 80k a year with benefits. Most of the civilians who work with me are GS11-12s, which you can look up the pay/benefits for. Also I spend about 80% of my day working on my online CS degree. It's a good way to get your foot in the door. I'm too lazy to proofread this on my phone sorry.

Attached: 675.jpg (1000x800, 301K)

I already have a college degree and was thinking of going airforce or navy cyber officer man. Do your lieutenants seem happy? Do you ever even have to interact with them?

>Suppressor on a Skorpion
I bet you it finally shoots straight.

picture is pure sex
nice scorpion OP

Sure, if you want to be around niggers, jews, and diversity landwhales