Why are there only two companies making Desktop CPUs and two companies making dedicated graphic cards nowadays...

Why are there only two companies making Desktop CPUs and two companies making dedicated graphic cards nowadays? Why aren't more large tech companies trying their luck? Intel will be making desktop GPUs in 2020. Nvidia could make desktop CPUs too since they actually got more money than AMD.

Attached: Intel-AMD-Nvidia-logos.jpg (600x300, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-gaming-gpu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There aren't many processor engineers I presume

way too fucking expensive r&d, too small of a market to matter.
mobile cpus etc other markets actually have insane demand and there you do see competition.

NVIDIA don't have the x86 licence. Make CPU is more easy than GPU

ARM should be coming into the desktop market eventually.
I used VIA a long time ago for mini itx... they're still around but they can't really compete.
I hope RISC-V gets major adoption. We need open source hardware so we get less glowies backdooring our stuff.

Because fabs are beyond prohibitively expensive, R&D is very expensive, x86 licensing is practically impossible, good microarchitecture engineers are an elite and highly paid few, and the market is cutthroat like almost no other.

because desktop is dying platform ? because Intel and AMD are most vested companies in x86 ?

There were multiple corporations making x86 CPUs and desktop GPUs but they just lost to the ones we have now
From the top of my head, for x86 aside from intel and AMD we had also WinChip and Cyrix.

Though technically we still have a 3rd player nowadays that is VIA who bought both WinChip and Cyrix assets, but they're only active on chinese market nowadays.

As for GPUs we had 3dfx (bought by Nvidia), S3 (though their 3D chips were kinda shit). I still have S3 Savage 3D somewhere and boy it was a piece of crap compared to its competition at the time.

The entry point for those markets nowadays is just waay too high in terms of both money and patents. Difficult to do literally anything without stepping on someone's patents.

Of course there were many more graphics card solutions than just the ones mentioned, they're also gone obviously.

>Intel will be making desktop GPUs in 2020
lol no
Those are going to the enterprise, we won't be seeing discrete GPUs from Intel on the consumer side probably ever. They have APUs, why the fuck would they even try to penetrate a shrinking market?

>Nvidia could make desktop CPUs too since they actually got more money than AMD.
Holy kek. Nvidia has tried to make CPUs, remember the abortion that is Tegra?

>x86 CPUs
Intel
AMD
VIA
A chink company
The ruskies with Elbrus

>GPUs
AMD
Nvidia
Matrox

absolutely unviable to do desktop shit
all smart companies just focused on smartphone chips, which sell a fuckton right now

Really did they change plans?
digitaltrends.com/computing/intel-gaming-gpu/

Attached: 2019-03-21-image-6.jpg (4032x2268, 478K)

> Intel will be making desktop GPUs in 2020

Larrabee will only be 11 years late then?

the "chink company" you think of is a joint venture of VIA with some other chink company so it doesn't count as a separate thing really.
Elbrus also isn't natively x86 there's some translation shenanigans going there.

Uh does Matrox even have any consumer products nowadays?

I really don't think they'll go with that retarded approach for GPUs ever again.

>he thinks the cia wants to hack his computer because hes torrented something

kill yourself user.

What if they cancelled their 5th gen Xeon Phi lineup because they suddenly remembered it started as a GPU project?

Matrox has a monopoly on medical imaging hardware, last time I heard. They also have their hands on mission critical stuff.
Their GPUs are perfect for driving a shitload of high resolution screens.

Yeah that would make sense, they always were know rather for professional stuff than consumer stuff. Though I had some Matrox graphics card in the past, think it was Millenium. Good to know they're still around.

>both money and patents. Difficult to do literally anything without stepping on someone's patents.
so, jews? gotcha

2 is just enough to have a second source to reassure people x86 won't be a monopoly. Intel probably likes AMD around. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, I mean AMD typically loses money most years

I have biggest pain on the ass than the CIA... i have the CIA niggers, NSA niggers, AMD niggers, Microsoft niggers, and i don't know how more niggers have investigating my to search for the secrets of my intelligence..... and become must more smart..... they are a big pain on the ass.....

Why are there only 2 political parties in USA? Because politics R&D is expensive or what?

Lobbying?

Because of the >Wasting your vote when you vote 3rd party meme?

Because of inertia. Also you are more than welcome to vote green party if you live in Florida. Worked great in 2000

Carmel is hot but it's the fastest in-order chip around. Enjoy your speculative bugs.

I made a list of how many PC equipment manufacturers we have lost in last 20 years, it includes company category too:
(so the list has only those companies which are defunct totally or does no longer make these products while being around doing something else)

CPU (x86, doesnt concern other types):
IDT
Cyrix
IBM
RISE
VIA
total=5 lost

GPU:
Chips & Technologies
3DFX
NeoMagic
Number Nine
OAK
Tseng Labs
S3
total=7 lost

Soundchip:
Yamaha
Aureal
Philips
Gravis
IBM
total=5 lost

HDD manufacturer:
Quantum
IBM
Conner Peripherals
Maxtor
total=4 lost

Monitors:
Nokia
Commodore
Hyundai
total=3 lost

Attached: 863ff22b.jpg (496x600, 44K)

Damn boomers really did have a competitive free market. I wonder why they destroyed it

Any predictions for the next 5-10 years? I believe Nvidia is going to have its head under the water selling behemoth dies to justify their cards against APUs with chiplets and stacked dies on top.

Based schizo

You sure sound like an expert, especially with those writing skills of yours.

>VIA
>lost
That's incorrect though, they're still around, they just stick to chinese market with their CPUs

VIA recently announced some new cpus, no idea how good they are but they're used enough to show up on the steam hardware survey results now

Well, if AMD do not drop something good for next year, i will make a CPU company..... i bet that they will get scare if they read this..... only people who really know me get scare of me..... i will make them got bankrupt.....

Attached: 561471-ryzen-3950x.jpg (810x460, 127K)

Dude. Intel themselves said they're moving into the GPU market.
Also Nvidia tegra is best used so they can make their own "Apu" for machine learning and all that other crazy shit they're doing with their graphics cards.
Like that super AI GPU they release that is basically 4 GPUs glued onto their tegra CPU. For super compute or some shit.
Their tegra was never intended to compete with intel or AMD.

>The ruskies with Elbrus
Elbrus is vliw(same as itanium) with x86 translation, just like those quallcomm laptops with normal windows that have x86-arm translation.