This is a business grade Thinkpad model that was manufactured in the year 2019...

This is a business grade Thinkpad model that was manufactured in the year 2019. As you can see it has modern 2019 features such as an intel 9th gen U processor and a 1366x768 TN pan...okay I can't even joke about this anymore.

Attached: x390.jpg (670x376, 51K)

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

>having options is bad

Why do Thinkpads have 768p TN panels anyway? There has to be a reason other than just to be jews.

>business grade
>1366x768 TN
i see no problem here.
are you one of those people who use work supplied tech for personal entertainment? disgusting.
a business grade laptop is 99%of the time docked to an external screen or projector. you need fullhd to read emails on the train? if so tell your tech department to buy it with higher resolution for you if you can justify it to them.

What you should be kvetching about is how much of it is soldered together non-serviceable bullshit.

this.

IT departments trying to save money on their orders.
Its not like the office drones will care.

That's because nobody uses Macbooks due to their expanding batteries.

Yes, business grade, meaning that the people who are going to use it in businesses either don't give a shit about the resolution or will have it plugged into an external monitor. Are you being retarded on purpose, or what?

to be fair these are probably going to be used in a dock 24/7 anyways

just buy the p52 with 8k resolution.

Meanwhile, Dell business laptops come standard with 1080p IPS panels. As much as I hate Dell, no one else even comes close on value for laptops.

>business grade means employees watching netflix at 1440p on a 15'
OP is a faggot

I always found laptops horrible in that regard. There is no ATX standard like with desktop PCs where you can upgrade a computer from the 90s with a Pentium 3 to a 9900K. You were never able to just swap the motherboard of a laptop for a newer one or upgrade the graphics card. Nowadays things have gotten so bad that you can't even swap the CPU or RAM or even the battery because it's all soldered. These companies saw how regular people bought new smartphones/tablets every two years. They thought to themselves "Hey let's do that with laptops as well!"

There was a guy here on Jow Forums that posted his Dell laptop from 2009 on here in some thread. I'm not even sure if it was a business line one could've been of the regular consumer models. Dell made laptops with 15' IPS 1080P panels in 2009, unbelievable.

and they do

im using mine right now, works for me

>a business grade Thinkpad
A consumer grade Lenovo laptop with ThinkPad stickers.

god i hate the thinkpad circlejerk
that screen is shit
it's inexcusable

the IBM ones had pretty good panels. I have one with a 15" 1600x1200 IPS from 2004.

>inb4 the battery explodes on his lap

I upgraded from my x220 to a t480 with the same 1366x768 TN panel and it is fine for what most people do...... If you want a FHD or QHD just upgrade it for under $50.........

Attached: 1531771615964.png (1385x554, 33K)

There are tons of great business grade Thinkpads out there.
Why complain about a low budget model?

Not sure if I was the guy, but I do have a Dell Studio 1555 that I bought new for undergrad in 2009. I still use it as my main laptop even now as I'm wrapping up my PhD. The default screen was 1366x768, which of course most people got because they're irrationally cheap, but I remember the 1920x1080 panel was only a $100 upgrade, which of course I paid for.

I don't really get the hate for Dell's consumer lines, I've been reasonably careful with this laptop and it still works flawlessly (save for the battery, which is to be expected). And yes, in keeping with the general theme of the thread, it is absolutely inexcusable to be offering 768p in 2019 when it was merely acceptable in 2009. Anyone who defends this piece of shit is either (a) an IT manager with a budget to beat, (b) someone who doesn't know any better, or (c) someone who profoundly regrets their purchase.

Which one had the 1600x1200 screen? My dad had a T42 (which is now collecting dust on my shelf) with what I believe was a nice 1400x1050 panel, but certainly nothing higher than that.

Oh yeah that guy could have been you.

I have a Latitude D810 from 2005 with a 1920x1200 lcd. Not IPS, but still.

Matte 1920x1200 is objectively the best

> 1080p IPS panel
> i7-4800MQ
> God tier keyboard
So, is the W540 the ultimate productivity laptop?

Attached: Thinkpad-W540.jpg (1280x960, 132K)

>chiclets
>god tier keyboard
pick one.

>Which one had the 1600x1200 screen?
T42p, it was still around the time when you could only get it on the p-variants and the best you could get on the non-p variants was a 1400x1050.
I think the first one to have a 1600x1200 screen was the A21p though.

why not the 3k screen + doc and external monitor. Paid $450 for mine last year + new SSD

I don't like the 3k screen at all. Fractional scaling never works as it should.
The dock and external monitor are, of course, great.

>numpad on a fucking laptop
nope.exe.bmp.scr

scaling did not work for me (especially CAD and Adobe products) until a Win10 update a few months back. I haven't had any scaling issues since. I don't use it for GAYMING though. I get your point, though.

Nope.

Attached: w540 vs w530.png (1714x1080, 890K)

You're looking for a W541.

>There is no ATX standard like with desktop PCs where you can upgrade a computer from the 90s with a Pentium 3 to a 9900K
>Pentium 3 to a 9900K

What? You need a new motherboard, ram, CPU, new drives, and a new GPU. That's pretty much buying a new computer. At least use the AM4 platform as an example instead of Incel kike shit.

argb is a meme
no one uses it

hows that PPBUS_S0_LCDBKLT? 12 volts? how pristine is the VRM on that board?

You could use the same case and *maybe* power supply but I wouldn't trust it.

Can anyone answer why almost no laptop manufacturer ever bothers to put passive heatsinks at the very least on their VRMs and chokes? Lenovo does a bit, but c'mon now.

piss off brainlet. there are two reasons why that is:
1) having cheap panels allows them to advertise the new thinkpad at a cheaper base price
2) that's a perfectly usable resolution for the screen's physical size. fractional dpi scaling is okay on windows and absolute dogshite on linux. super hi res displays are only great on macs, and only because apple happily depreciates old apis that don't support them

I'm convinced Lenovo Thinkpad screens are the reason I wear glasses.

>ultimate productivity laptop
>with a shit screen that would distract you all day

Hence, nope

What? Isn't the W530 TN and the W540 IPS? How the hell did they fuck up so bad?

The real crime of this is how dog shit the battery life is.
>Walking around office building for a couple hours helping people away from my own office
>Laptop is about to kill itself from exhaustion

the 1600x900 screen is a mandatory upgrade IMO. fortunately it's easy and cheap, and takes < $100 and < 1 hr

I don't care about the screen. I'm sure af not paying for meme 4K or good color (or even viewing angles, but they help). I have better external monitors for that.

Anyone that watches TV/movies on a laptop is a cuck.

Give me a laptop that is durable, 13" and can do 32GB of RAM (for my virtual machines).

You're both ignorant and retarded. Keep being stupid.

My W520 says hello