Technological stagnation?

youtube.com/watch?v=n0AajDyhBcw

This was released 6 years ago. Most games still can't beat this or are at the same level. What happened?

Attached: le russian tech.png (1220x840, 1.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/home-theater/canon-loses-sed-tv-patent-ruling/
youtube.com/watch?v=b2WOjo0C-xE
youtu.be/XMC_69eJdw4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>still can't beat this
because the game is shit, what the fuck is the point of cramming so many textures and gfx that are literally useless from a gaming point of view? this is just a way to flex your videocard and nothing more.

Because if you want good graphics you'd need to optimise your code but that costs money and is too hard for our poor code monkeys.

>muh realism
Cancer that destroyed any sense of fun in a game. If I wanted realism, I'd chase after real world. I wanted a fantasy world filled with fun things.

Soon.

Attached: 1548437699774.gif (540x400, 774K)

It didn't look that amazing, they just shoved foliage everywhere and called it a day
BF1 and BF5 looked more impressive

Honestly the only really visually impressive game of the last few years is Star War Battlefront everything else just looks exactly the same, which is to say it looks like shit.

Give it 5 years. After mobas hit it big roguelikes are pumping out some good ideas. Will just take a while for AAA to catch on.

Because studios create video games in order to generate profit

Photorealism has diminishing returns.

>AAA
>ever putting out anything resembling roguelike mechanics

>I wanted a fantasy world filled with fun things.
borderlands 2 did this and it was garbage

Because all westerners know is how to make shitty shooter games.

>implying JRPGs aren't the definition of not fucking fun to play
Western RPGs are the only worthwhile ones, but Borderlands always was and is shit.

Sorry kiddo, the 2010s are defined by JRPG. Souls-series, Persona5, Nier, Zelda, Tales of series, Dragon Dogma, etc. Heck the Game of the Decade award is between two Japanese games.

Western games are garbage SJW sims, movie sims, shooter sim or just the shitty rehash of WW2 sims.

>Because all westerners know is how to make shitty shooter games.
Nope... that's all that sells.

Does grass really get that tall or is it a post apocalyptic meme

you are delusional, a modern game with ray tracing like metro wipes the floor of that ps3 era game.

>Use trebuchet to launch a medium sized stone at it.
>Falls over
That easy

>Does grass really get that tall or is it a post apocalyptic meme

Attached: 1476569744872.jpg (500x282, 70K)

BF4 still looks great for its age

Attached: 16570276888_a78d4aa61b_o.jpg (5120x3200, 846K)

Paid digital distribution is technological stagnation.
Just having the option to pay for a game digitally has ruined gaming, it allows for what is plaguing the industry today such as rampant DLC and mtx, games being intentionally released unfinished or unplayable without a patch because they can easily patch it through whatever platform which further encourages them to be released that way, being charged for a download, having to go through some console wannabe platform to legally play games on PC, easy access which means more casuals play games which means games are made for them which means lower quality games, etc. People have been tricked into thinking that because sometimes digital games are lower cost means they are a better deal, even $1 is too much for a download. The standard prices we have for games was based on the fact that games used to be sold physical only and all the logistics, effort, and extra money that comes with that, playable without a patch (at least on console), and DLC and mtx weren’t rampant and didn't even exist for most games.
>apple remove the headphone jack from their phone
>”this is the future, buy our shit”
>as of 2018 the second most purchased apple product is the cable that lets you use normal headphones
LCD, LED, and OLED fucking suck yet those are the only options for new TVs and monitors. SED technology is inherently superior but we were denied that because of a lawsuit. digitaltrends.com/home-theater/canon-loses-sed-tv-patent-ruling/
They decided not to sell them because by the time the lawsuit was over they didn't think people would be willing to pay twice as much for a new type of TV even if it is superior.
People don't care about quality, only convenience. I don't give a fuck about convenience, I care about quality and am willing to sacrifice convenience for a superior end result. Fuck digital.
I swear 20 years ago and thereabouts seems like we were more so living in the future than now.

Attached: 1559601214251.jpg (1024x634, 487K)

we already reached the max with what we can do with rasterized graphics

Attached: 20180510175833_1.jpg (3840x2400, 1.8M)

Streaming """""services"""""" like Netflix' "4k UHD" is not 4k UHD, it has a fraction of the bit rate of a blu-ray, let alone a 4k UHD blu-ray, some don't even have the quality of what a DVD can provide.
8k is already being talked about but 4k TVs aren't being used anywhere near their potential because dumb fucks buy the 4k TVs just to stream.

Attached: Sony Optical Disc Archive.png (750x486, 220K)

I agree senpai
after games like geralt 3 or batman arkham knight, everything looks washed out in comparison
and purple
why is everything so god damn purple
things were brutally dark teal a decade ago, now everything's purple
why
what's wrong with having a wider color palette on fucking games
shit
now I'm mad

Attached: Rage2_website_herobackground_1920x1000-03.jpg (1920x1000, 821K)

think of it as a rubber band, as soon as internet speeds catch on, other technology will get more exciting.
You just gotta wait a bit bro.

Its the UE4 shaders

The only exciting thing about technology is physics has laws and we have reached them.
Cars all look alike, PCs all look alike.
This is what technology does make the amazing bland and boring.

oh god what are we supposed to do now? actually use technology as a tool and not just be excited for shiny new stuff coming out every year?

Goliath, online

Because game development is now about politics instead of making actual games.

Prey did this pretty well

lol crysis....

We RTX now kid

youtube.com/watch?v=b2WOjo0C-xE

HYLICS TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JRPGs died in the late 90's early 2000's. Let JRPGs RIP in Pepperoni's user, and just play your visual novels like a good nipophile virgin.

I've seen really tall grass before.

Consoles and shareholder obsession.

Hyped

>lol crysis....
>We RTX now kid
Doesn't do much when your entire scene isn't glossy metallic surfaces.

I had no idea Prey is grid based, turn based, non modal, has permadeath and procedural generation as well as complexity which are essential factors for a game to be called a roguelike

I had no idea that a game needed to be a full-on roguelike to have anything resembling roguelike mechanics

people like you are the reason shit like binding of isaac and faster than light is called roguelike
nigger casual normalfags ruined my favourite genre making roguelike a meaningless term used as a marketing buzzword for their worthless action rpg or some other garbage for faggots
fuck you

>What happened?
The early game devs were passionate autists who got into/invented their field all on their own. They treated their products with a lot of discipline. They worked like absolute dogs in terrible conditions. One of their big goals was to create game engines or wizards that would save a ton of time.

Now you have kids who grow up wanting to be a "game designer" then they go get a degree and want a "stable career" out of it. But its more like making art than it is being an accountant. Lightning has to strike. An artist has to starve. But these infantilized babies don't want that, they want to have a nice high paying tech job that includes naptime. So they make up sexual harassment lawsuits when the going gets tough. They try to unionize. They put out shit like Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Battletech is soon boys

Attached: MechWarrior-4-Flea-Mech-Paper-Model.jpg (582x504, 35K)

I'm almost willing to bet you actual people money that NASA's crawler moves faster than that thing.

luv COD
luv FIFA
simple as

Attached: 1536503042182.png (942x712, 79K)

I really don't understand why walkers are even remotely a thing. When light arms can dink your hydraulics it's not a very good heavy vehicle.

souf bad
norf good

Static environments have pretty much reached the limit as far as graphical fidelity on normal monitors.

The room to grow lies in multiple agents, devs still struggle to put large amounts of independent npcs into a single scene. On a practical level this has been a cpu limit, although going full retard with polygons can hit gpu barriers on even lower counts.

The real next frontier for growth however is VR. I know people hate the 'gimmick' but the reason its been having so many problems besides being expensive is that AAA visual fidelity and content on those screens and refresh rates takes too much grunt right now.
When VR is almost photorealistic and smooth we will finally be able to claim a true generational leap over the technological stagnation present in todays vidya. Its a relatively short matter of time till the tech catches up to the required power level

Attached: rd.jpg (259x194, 7K)

consoles

Diablo 2.

There is no way static environments have reached any limit. You can't mistake even high end video games for footage of the real world. Games are still ugly. Maybe in 10 years they won't be.

Eh, it's not that realism killed fun, it's that AAA games in general became total garbage, they have nothing else to show off except graphics. It's a symptom, not the cause.

It's going to be one hell of a trip.
youtu.be/XMC_69eJdw4

this. they don't want to take any risks, but they also need something to convince people to buy the newest version which is basically an exact copy of the old one in almost all regards - so they upgrade the graphics a bit and have that as main selling point.

CPUs stagnated for almost 10 years thanks to Intel and took software side with it.

Only good jrpg is undertale

lol neck yourself

Its a symptom of western's lack of creativity. For more than a decade we've been sold the meme that "realism = creativity."

>What happened?

People understood cool graphics doesn't make a game good.