inigo.katxi.org/devel/lfm/
wcm.linderdaum.com/
github.com/mananapr/cfiles
dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html
docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html#680
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vifm is still better, and written in C

this

Isn't Rust supposed to fix C? Which one is lighter, C or Rust?

what does memory safety get you in a file manager anyway?

there's nothing to fix in C, it's already perfect

>Isn't Rust supposed to fix C?
HE ACTUALLY FELL FOR IT AHAHAHAHH

big programs run faster on rust
but c is perfect by itself

for the developer 90% less bugs

>rust
Prefer not to rely on code written by neo Marxist pedophiles

Call us when it comes precompiled. Downloading rust is not worth it when is just around the corner..

No thanks, tranny.

>run faster in rust
And C++. C is beautiful but doesn't provide enough abstractions to make large code bases tractable.

>Isn't Rust supposed to fix C?
It's supposed to fix C++.

The C language is 50 years old (literally), and little to nothing about it has changed since.
It's a basically perfect, very simple box of tools to interface with a computer.

C++ is an absurdly complex and convoluted adaption of the C language that is potentially the most complicated thing that humanity has ever created next to the fucking space station.
It is a general purpose kitchen sink of tools with a hundred objective faults with it and a million subjective faults that you need 5+ years with the language and a scientific paper to argue.
It should never have been based on C.

Rust is attempting to re-do this starting at the fundamentals.

>C++ is an absurdly complex and convoluted adaption of the C language
Retards say this
> kitchen sink of tools
That's python. C++ is brilliant.
>It should never have been based on C.
I hear this a lot but that's bullshit. Basing it off C is what made it powerful.
>Rust is attempting to re-do this starting at the fundamentals.
And that it has failed at, dramatically, you fucking mut&.

imagine managing files without thumbnails or drag 'n drop

>hunter ranger

Attached: 1520889458460.jpg (764x713, 309K)

what the hell is the point of using this over a gui explorer? You can't see thumbnails or anything.

Attached: laker.jpg (675x1200, 233K)

Imagine not being able to tell what the image is of from the filename alone

yeah, like half the files on your fucking desktop m8

>desktop

How many terminal file managers we need?

Just few ones here:
github.com/dylanaraps/fff
github.com/gokcehan/lf
github.com/jarun/nnn
vifm.info/
midnight-commander.org/
git.2f30.org/noice/
ranger.github.io/
github.com/rabite0/hunter
lecram.github.io/p/rover/
inigo.katxi.org/devel/lfm/
wcm.linderdaum.com/
github.com/mananapr/cfiles

There is something called "command line", you know?.
It can be used as a file manager also, how great is that!?.
You can use aliases if you are too lazy to type; with few (like ~20) custom aliases and functions you have a very powerful file manager right there!.
Also becoming proficient at using the unix commands that you have also already installed on your computers is a great long term investment, because unix-like OS have been around for about 50 years and will not go anywhere for many decades to come.
It's an universal interface, like plain text: you learn it on your computer and use it seamlessly on any other computer, anywhere, at any time.
Is not cool enough for you?.

...This is why I love/hate so much FOSS.
Is great because you can read the code and make contributions why the hope of enhance the projects you love.
Is a giant mountain of cancerous radioactive steamy shit because no one seems to able to agree with others, ever.
This is we have +50 vi/emacs-like editors, +100 DE and WM, +300 linux distributions, +1000 programming languages (no programming languages were created during the writing of this post), +10000 protocols/paradigms/methodologies/philosophies etc, etc...
90% of which totally useless. The perpetual reinvent of the wheel.
So much waste of energy and productivity. No surprise why programmers so often are so broken people.

>inb4 muh having choices is bad
Having choices isn't bad, having TOO MANY is bad. Just think in the ever growing number of options that you would have to face in the next 5-10 years.

Attached: triggered2.png (858x725, 361K)

Sorry if there some errors, I'm not English native speaker.

dwheeler.com/essays/fixing-unix-linux-filenames.html
cli sux

FIX IT!, instead of making 10.000 new slightly different interfaces.

And thanks for the link.

>DnD
this is the only purpose of a FM

Who uses this shit? Someone too retarded to use ls, cp, mv, rm, and friends?

If you're using a curses TUI file manager instead of using the above or just using an Xorg file manager, you're a mega-brainlet.

Attached: egtG3RY.png (600x750, 84K)

Imagine having less than 100k images.

>Who uses this shit?
ricers and zoomers with plenty of time to spare.
people with no willing to do anything productive with their lives.

Attached: 1562440134575.jpg (750x669, 80K)

no one uses any of these except ranger

>90% of which totally useless. The perpetual reinvent of the wheel.
there are likely 5 or more different designs and types of wheels in your house -- turns out, re-inventing the wheel happens all the time
sometimes, you need a different wheel
sometimes, you can make a better wheel for the task at hand

>Having choices isn't bad, having TOO MANY is bad. Just think in the ever growing number of options that you would have to face in the next 5-10 years.
many of these choices aren't even vaguely relevant -- there's dozens of X11 window managers, but people mostly just pick between using the ones that come with GNOME/KDE/XFCE
or like picking a Linux distro -- if you really don't feel like caring about all the differences, pick Ubuntu like the vast majority of Linux users

if something doesn't work on somefuckdistro, that's decidedly not my problem
if somefuckdistro becomes popular, then I'll have to consider supporting it, and that's perfectly normal competition in action

If you fix it, shit breaks. I really do mean shit, but it's a long standing issue that's been around since the 70s, and many people are retarded and think the lack of restrictions on *nix filenames is okay (and cite the restricted filenames on Windows as a mistake -- apart from the retarded device file shit that should have been removed after the 64-bit transition, Windows has remarkably sane filename management).

it's a hideous mess and if you do go about fixing it, you literally just add yet another choice to the pile, one that no one's going to bother with because it doesn't have the weight of history behind it

Imagine not being able to store more than 100k images in brain memory

But that's dumb.
If you need to manage photos without names, run through the gallery with nomacs. Everything else should be obvious from the title or the directory it's in.

some people don't have desktops
some people name all the files they save/move out of download folder
actually hoping someone will explain this. i feel like i'm missing something big because these programs always seem harder to use

like with other graphical interfaces, they remind you of other shit you can do or go look at

...it's also easier to select items for moving or deletion if you don't have to type their name, or cd into a new directory

Julia>Crystal>Rust>C>AIDS>Shit++.

alright, fair enough
i think proper directory structure makes that less important but i see where you're coming from

>no one uses any of these except ranger
Lot of devs seem to agree that Ranger is slow, then they decided to create alternatives instead spend time on ls, cp, mv, rm, chmod, ln, etc. Which seems to be the same reason why Ranger and every other TUI fm was created in the first place.

>there are likely 5 or more different designs and types of wheels in your house
Yeah, and all the wheels I would ever need were already invented and standardized long ago

>sometimes, you can make a better wheel for the task at hand
99% of the time those wheels alone or working together fix this issue, commonly called shell scripts (and you don't even have to write yours if you know how to browse internet)

>pick Ubuntu like the vast majority of Linux users
>that's perfectly normal competition in action
I agree with that, In my particular case I have to choose for a very minimal setup, like lubuntu, because of my "slow" 10yrs old laptop, which like in any other "low resources" use cases, aren't take into account by modern GUI developers anymore.

>but it's a long standing issue that's been around since the 70s
Most stuff have already been addressed and fixed, but NOT implemented, because of the law of the strongest (Google, Microsoft, IBM/RedHat, Intel... then Linus), where the decisions are not precisely made by the smartest people, but by the wealthier ones, those who have always imposed foolish decisions with mere short-term profit in mind.

>it's a hideous mess and if you do go about fixing it, you literally just add yet another choice to the pile, one that no one's going to bother with because it doesn't have the weight of history behind it
Sad, but pretty much this is today "bread". OS research is long dead now, like many fields in IT and CS. Today development model most of the time consists on just stacking layers of complexly over others not well known incomplete layers of complexity. Far from what Brian Kernighan started there.
Not surprising at all, this also happens in the fields of mathematics and science, where 100,000 papers are published each year, but less than 10% receive peer reviews.

Package it for Arch and Debian and I will try it.

>Brian Kernighan started there.
*Here, forget quote like a retard

Attached: quote-controlling-complexity-is-the-essence-of-computer-programming-brian-kernighan.jpg (850x400, 66K)

*stated

sigh..

You neet to get used to, is a one time investment, but the skills you get will benefit you for the rest of your life (in computers).
CLI has no comparison with GUIs or TUIs. Is too much power.
Just think for a moment why most developers on big projects like the Linux kernel, uses the command line for most task, even if they own a Mac and uses OSX through a retina display and nice clicky clicky GUIs, they always have a CLI prompt open at hand on a terminal window. Think about kid.

Attached: evolving.jpg (500x669, 71K)

yeah i meant that shell seems lightyears simpler and easier to use than a graphical file manager. it's definitely a time investment but surprisingly ergonomic once you learn it
>tfw you just write down what you want your computer to do with your files and grab a snack

First of all, the idea of disallowing certain characters like spaces, asterisks or question marks is completely retarded when those characters have important roles in human languages and computers are meant to be a tool for humans. This whole problem is caused by a combination of the POSIX standard being a steaming pile of shit and hobby programmers making programs without testing edge cases. And the solution is trivial too: have programs like ls or find output filenames in a standard escaped format by default that isn't mangled by the shell and have programs process filenames in this format, with filename parsing functions added to text processing utilities like awk. Adding support would be trivial too: just #include "posix_filenames.h".
Second, adding more restrictions would just cause more incompatibility between OSes, not less. It's blatantly obvious that adding restrictions to unix filenames would lead to certain unix filenames still not working on windows and certain windows filenames now not working on unix, unless you decided to disallow the exact list of characters and filenames on unix that are disallowed on windows, i.e. bent over and took that microcock up your ass. On the other hand, in a world with no filename restrictions in OSes and proper support for weird filenames, no such issues would ever arise.
Third, adding arbitrary limitations to filenames doesn't even work. Windows used to have a 260-character length limit on fully qualified filenames. The result? Certain programs didn't give a shit and just wrote whatever they wanted to the disk, causing the files to become undeletable using the standard OS utilities like file explorer, del or move.

>big programs run faster on rust
This is not really true. The performance is about the same as C. The performance increase in big programs is a result of writing better code when rewriting software.

absolutely pathetic posts.

Why would I use this over ranger? Ranger is in python.

>in4 hurr python is slow
Yes of course it is, but the bottleneck here is I/O so it doesn't fucking matter.

just tried it out.
it's fucking trash.

does not even a quarter of what ranger is capable of and the configuration is stupid as fuck.

this is a mediocre attempt at recreating a program.
the only thing good about it is the snappy movement between rectories, but other than that, it's subpar.

>alternative to ranger
Anything is better than shit written in Python.

I don't really see the point in file managers in the terminal though, just use cp/mv/rm or get a GUI file manager if you working with pictures and want proper thumbnails and shit.

>>I don't really see the point in file managers in the terminal though,
ranger unironically increases productivity.
when you get used to it, navigating the file system, moving multiple files, etc becomes unbelievably efficient.

a Linux user complaining about programs written with python.....

install Gentoo...... i think that now yes, i will start to make money so i can make my company, i hope that i don't need to make a CPU company....

Attached: super-saiyan-2-goku.jpg (1080x720, 55K)

iirc you could make thumbnails appear in ranger, idk about this thing

C>Haskell>Julia>Lua>Everything Else

lf is better

Does it have image previews?

>ranger with less features
>go
fuck off, retard

Go is better than Python. I can really fucking see how it takes a second for Ranger to even start. I would use nnn, but fuck compiling shit.

>not a double panel commander-like file manager
it's like you enjoy suffering

Has tabs and commander-like file manager don't have file previews

literally 0 arguments

>using a tui file manager for previews
you use those for bulk operations as fast as possible. If you want previews use a GUI one like a normal person

>atomics are nothing
>function definitions being readable are nothing
>restricted pointers are nothing
>integer division is nothing
>initializers are nothing
>const is nothing
>prototypes are nothing
>specified promotions are nothing
>inline is nothing
>alignment specification is nothing
>anonymous structs and unions are nothing
>IEEE 754 is nothing
>variadic macros are nothing
>digraphs are nothing
And i'm not mentioning the various stdlib additions/deprecations. C looked nothing like it does today, it was shit, it still is shit but to much lesser degree.
If you want a "perfect, very simple box of tools to interface with a computer", you're looking for asm or forth, both are equally shit.

>If you want previews use a GUI one like a normal person

And if I'm tired of masturbating, I should go get fucked by a local bear, like a normal person

>Thanks for the gold, kind stranger.

Why would I use python trash when a fucking GUI file manager like thunar launches faster?
>le IO bound xd
I'd like to see how IO bound it is when you have tens of thousands of file metadata objects loaded into memory. That is, assuming you even get to that point because the devs are retards who still support pytrash 2.6 so they were too lazy to implement multithreading because they can't use fancy new features so the whole thing just hangs until the files are loaded.

Attached: file.png (1196x1390, 171K)

>GUI file manager
I consider having to use mouse for anything aside for image/video editing or some shit like that a handicap, because literally anything else is faster done with keyboard contols

>IEEE 754
what retard though this was a good idea?

Attached: 2019-07-09-175508_326x253_scrot.png (326x253, 11K)

What the fuck is this and why does this matter

#include

int main()
{
if (16777216.0f == 16777217.0f)
{
printf("true\n");
}
else
{
printf("false\n");
}
if (16777219.0f == 16777220.0f)
{
printf("true\n");
}
else
{
printf("false\n");
}
return 0;
}

spoiler, both cases are true with ieee-754

>hurr i didn't read IEEE 754 therefore IEEE 754 bad
probably the "retard" that knows about the existence of scaling and error distribution

Guys, what the fuck is this? Explain it as to someone who doesn't know shit about programming

Refer to docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html#680

buddy i literally said i didn't get it. i'll happily admit i'm a brainlet. however shell is still easier for me, so i'll use that