Why can't AMD make a good GPU lol

Why can't AMD make a good GPU lol

Attached: 5700XT.jpg (696x458, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/343786746005437392/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The 4870 was pretty good.

Why don't they just have two smaller blowers at each end running at lower RPM? Two smaller fans in series can actually maintain pressure better than one big one and increase total flow a little as counterintuitive as that sounds

Hey be nice
It only melted a little

That would cut in to the heatsink even more. Blower fans already have tiny heatsinks.

If you ignore the cursor bugs, flickering and random game crashes.

lol

My brother bought that card and although he is still an AMD fan because of the cheaper processors, he will never buy an AMD GPU again.

Literally every single time he had a problem all he said was fuck I never had these issues with Nvidia.

They tried that with Radeon VII as a triple fan. It's retarded.

>t. radeon vii owner

I run it under water now so it's much better.

Attached: can we fix it.jpg (1920x1080, 1.01M)

Just increase the density then? The higher effective pressure will work wonders on it

>yet another blower reference style cooler only available at launch
>partner custom cards wont release until mid-late august

amd is so fucken incompetent

Attached: 1522089955304.jpg (403x403, 57K)

NoVideo does that too tho.

Hey why do we care let's just buy Nvidia, they're the BEST. I mean it. Always buy Nvidia bros.

No, they don't. 5700 doesn't even have a backplate lmao. Even the 2060 super reference has one.

Attached: 9049_726_amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-step-right-direction[1].jpg (1384x619, 111K)

Attached: 9043_503_nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-2070-review[1].jpg (2016x1512, 232K)

cope

Attached: aKCAW5x_d.jpg (640x647, 35K)

Don't really need a backplate.

No card really does, but gamer want slab with logo

Glass side panels are a total meme and I can't wait until that trend disappears.

But knowing these PC fags that shit's gonna be here forever.

The best cases have shitty side panels and no options for solid panels. WHYYYYYY!$@$@$#$

Can't lead the CPU and GPU industry. It's all a game for all 3 companies to live.

It won't disappear because it's a top down trend. it was pushed by chinese glass companies who almost went bankrupt after glass furniture went out of style in the 2000s so they needed a new market

>doesn't even have a backplate
is this bait or is this the nu-g?

Attached: 1521263881926.png (800x750, 121K)

>tiny compared to.both intel and nvidia individually
>still produces the best value consumer products both cpu and gpu
absolutely btfo

Disgusting chinks, it all makes sense now.

I have the Evolv X and love this case, but the fucking glass is HORRENDOUS and makes the case weigh 500lb.

Attached: no backplate.jpg (1024x535, 194K)

The thing is at most you can get a noctua nh-L9 sized heat sink. And that is already very dense. It's rated at most 95-105W tdp with good airflow, so if you have insane airflow it would be like 150-200W max. A 250W tdp card is a bit much for such a small heatsink

>backplate prevents bending

Attached: 14.jpg (230x250, 23K)

Back plates don't fix that, the droop is from bending at the pcie slot

Oy

Attached: 35431161_1881996825218251_8432013235846119424_n.jpg.6629f2c1f6740d71ac97785096b04392.jpg (2048x1536, 446K)

Gevalt

Attached: SBvp3AE.jpg (2765x2074, 800K)

what about it? the backplate is firmly preventing the card from bending. if it didn't have it, they would be slanted like the picture.

Compared to watercooler radiators air coolers aren't very dense, there's room for improvement especially using a blower which has higher pressure than axial fans by nature, acting more like a shovel or pump than a wing.

It is a good gpu, just a shitty cooler. Apparently people have been hooking up other gpu coolers to it and not gone over 70c. If you're retarded enough to buy a non aftermarket gpu then you kinda deserve everything you get anyway.

it's not good
it's great
This same GPU goes into samsung phones, pretty much all consoles while nvidia does not go further than fortnite build

they used to

Attached: 180-front.small[1].jpg (644x270, 48K)

hello jensen are you still crying?

5yen got deposed on your account, japanese nvidia friend

>blatantly lying on literal proofs
IT'S ANOTHER SHOAH REEE

this 5700/XT kicked your ass so hard you actually need to make a thread about it to show us that you dont care, amarite?
#rentfree

Glass panels are awesome, quit hating for no reason cuck.

why is a backplate so important to you?
>buying a Super glue card
lmao no.

Actually the XT version has a backplate, but they didn't put ANY thermalpads on it! Fucking hell how cheap and corner cutting can you get.

Attached: backplate with no thermal pads.jpg (1621x869, 435K)

>Same as 2070super
>$100 cheaper
Prove how this is a bad card. Pro tip; [spoiler]you can't.[/spoiler]

>oy vey think of the 6million celsius you save with a backplate!

This makes me feel modern cases should have a mounting system that accommodates for this, like having the GPU on a rail or something.

backplate thermal pads?
LOL

Nvidia and their swarm of Nvidiot shills are losing sleep over Navi.
Tick Tock Jensen.

Attached: gay rgb leds.png (2182x1174, 2.66M)

10% slower and you will need to pay 100$ not to get a blower trash model

Ok thats pretty dumb.

>10% slower
It's 2% slower while being 20% cheaper.
Tick tock.

implying that normies would wake up from their eternal slumber and buy the better deal. thats the sad reality, Ray Tracing is the new hotness so it will sale bretty good.
and tbqh if i could get a 2070S for $399 with a aftermarket cooler i'd grab one even if AMD lowers the price to $349 or $329 for the XT.

Attached: 1540367700292.png (480x640, 481K)

got to save money on the thermal pads, got to save money on the cooler itself, got to save money on the memory, so AMD with all this money saving and making it cheap to produce the price will be cheap for your 680?
>LOL NO, 450$ please, okay okay okay 400$ since nvidia forced our hands
God damn, AMD is literally trying to outjew nvidia and intel at the same time.

>Ok thats pretty dumb.
No shit, instead of guiding the heat off the back, the backplate acts as a insulator here where it creates an oven for the back components and instead just stores head.

not that user but the XT is between 5-9% slower with initial drivers, which is fine by me. its still a better deal.
check more benchmarks and see the reality of things

>saul alinsky rule 4 - the post
ok.

funny ive never had a problem with any AMD card ive ever owned. yet any nvidia card ive ever owned had driver issues out the ass. nice shill post.

>unironically replying to this tripfag nigger who got BTFO time and time again

Attached: 1541246183696.jpg (480x247, 12K)

?How does this relate to my post?

Attached: huh.jpg (741x291, 54K)

the 5700 with proper cooling is actually pretty based, see HU.

No, I have RTX cores.

I can agree with this specifically with older games on PC.
They just don't give a flying fuck in fixing drivers for older games so they either don't work, or work with a lot of issues such as suttering framerate, having to disable a lot of visual settings otherwise games crash and don't work and so on.

its sad that you cant even use them properly without having to reduce the granularity to low in order to get a playable exp

>LETS PUT THERMAL PADS ON A CARD THAT CANT OVERCLOCK BECAUSE WE LOCKED IT

sure thing chang

NVIDIA reference coolers aren't blowers anymore and provide performamce comparable to mid-range AIB partner options.

Jensen is too much of a Chad for them to even compete. AMD is only able to crush Intel because they're run by diversity brainwashed Israelites instead of based chinks.

Attached: Jen-Hsun_Huang_Headshot_%2815313247387%29.jpg (4305x2870, 1.35M)

>LETS LOCK FREQUENCY SO PEOPLE CAN'T OVERCLOCK SO WE CAN SEGMENT THE MARKET BETTER
>LETS ALSO CUT COSTS AND CORNERS ON EVERYTHING AND LET THE CARDS RUN HOT AND LOUD
great plan there Lisa

Losing sleep over Navi? The fucker as well as the Radeon 7 can't even do 1440p144 or 4k60 properly. They're on 7nm and they're still less power efficient than Nvidia 14nm which is just rediculous and Nvidia doesn't even have to react they can just keep selling off their stockpile of mining GPUs.

They're loud hot and power hungry as fuck buggy cards made for poor college students with enough time on their hands to deal with AMD's bullshit who mastrubrate over 2fps advantages over nvidia while their computer goes WHHRRRRRRRRR and drives up the dorm power bill by about $100 a year.

I respect that budget brands have their place in the world but if you're on Jow Forums you should aspire to actually become good enough at technology to get rich enough to not need to settle for AMD's shit and to value shit like power efficiency because you own your own property.

Can you flash xt bios to unlock the frequency

no you can't, they don't have bios switch.

Ultra based.

imagine when Nvidia goes to 7nm....

or you know

FUCKING WAIT FOR CUSTOM AIBs

>after 9 months of waiting, you need to wait another couple of months
sasuga AMD

Never had this issue.
Can you name any games in particular?

5700XT consumes less power than 2070 Super, what are you on about, macaco

5700xt also can't deliver 2070super level performance retard.

Holy shit a card that delivers less performance consumes less power! Omg the 2060super must BTFO the 2070super! The ultimate GPU must be intel integrated graphics because it consumes the least power of all!

Kotor 1, no framebuffer effects(stealth being trasnparent, lot of visual effects) and soft shadows can't be used otherwise game crashes and there is no other fix for it.

Witcher 1 has constant fps dips and unstable framerate, talking about a vega that's twice are powerful as a nvidia card, yet the nvidia card provides stable framerate and even higher fps.

Quantum break, underutilization with vega card, leading to constant dips in fps and lower over all performance.
Talking about a 2060 having stable 60fps while a vega 64 was struggling to get stable 40fps.

Games like Generals and Generals Zero hour, literally don't work.

And before you start with shit.
Using the same system but with clean driver instal and nvidia card, none of the issues are present.
Yes, I have tried both win 10 and win 7.
No problems on the nvidia card, and consistent issues with older games like mentioned above with amd card.

Attached: nope no luck.jpg (2028x2136, 1.18M)

Very Jewish

Buy new games goyim

See the fps graph on the vega? That's what it looks like in a lot of games that haven't been specifically optimized.
Again, AMD drivers are dog shit and I literally didn't know people have to deal with this kind of shit until I got a vega myself.
Used a Nvidia for the last 5 years and though that people just got to install games and run them with no problem.
Now I sit and try to trouble shoot more than actually paying video games.
Be it from coil whine issues, the heat, the fucking drivers.
Really it pisses me off to no end, they could fix this, I know they could.
But their official statement is that "the game is over 10 years old, it's not worth our time to fix"
But then you see issues with newer games as well such as just cause or quantum break, and their policy is "deal with it, we will NEVER fix it because it's not the newest and latest game"

Really, unless the game has been released in the last year, I don't think they fucking give a shit and will take the PR hit over allocating resources to get their drivers to work.

AND ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS TO PLAY SOME CLASSICAL VIDYA FROM TIME TO TIME!

Attached: bloody fucking vega 64.jpg (1617x867, 313K)

Sounds like the card was auto throttling to lower than P7 states.
I lock the P7 state as min&max state to keep the frequency locked to the max and haven't had those clock drop issues with it.

That's just an ergonomic grip for your frail faggot hands OP.

>Very Jewish
What gave it away?
The locked frequency, the cost cutting measures on the backplate with no thermal pads, the cost cutting measures on a BLOWER CARD, the fact that there is no bios switch to even flash a different bios on it?
No I am sure they aren't jewish at all, they aren't squeezing money as hard as they can, they aren't overpricing their cards either, it's not like Nvidia literally forced them to lower prices.

Why indeed

Attached: poos on jew 2.png (2560x1440, 1.63M)

>Vega 64 overclocked
>1445mhz & 800mhz
That's Vega 56 clocks, not an overclocked Vega 64.
I've never had any of these issues, sounds like user error to me, so just buy Nvidia next time and call it a day.

>5700xt vs 2070 super
>wins at 1440p bf1by 11 frames
>loses at 1440p metro exodus by 9 frames
>loses at 1440p resident evil by 6 frames
>loses at 1440p Tomb raider by 6 frames
>loses horrible at fortnight not worth mentioning
>loses at 1440p the division by 6 frames
>wins at 1440p dirt rally 2.0 by 1 frame (more or a draw imo)
>wins at 1440p Forza horizon 4 by 27 frames
>wins at 1440p Far cry new dawn by 2 frames
>wins at 1440p World war z by 8 frames
>loses at 1440p assassins creed by 5 frames
>total system power 9 watts more than a 2070super
I mean it's pretty close

I actually tried that as well, locked it to P6 and P7, and while this did increase the frequency and keep it stable there, which helped a little, the thing still did not utilize properly and the stutter issues were still present.

>I've never had any of these issues, sounds like user error to me, so just buy Nvidia next time and call it a day.
Did you actually try any of those games? Did you actually monitor the frametime or anything?
Did you actually run kotor with soft shadows and frame buffer effects?

>Can't deliver 2070S performance
Hello darkness my old friend

Attached: novideot.png (1282x1356, 934K)

I do, none of the modern games I play have such stutter issues at all, haven't tried KOTOR but will do later today after I download it, since I'm curious.
I've played a lot of old early 2000s games recently with my V64 and haven't had any issues whatsoever, neither do any of the people I know who have Vega cards either.
In the case of the 1400&800 clocks, those are either V56 baseline clocks or the card is throttling, probably because the "overclock" just raised the clock while keeping the voltage at 1.2, aka user error.

It seems like I only see these issues by anonymous people on Jow Forums, while claiming that Nvidia is perfect, which is by far not true at all.

Attached: undervolt.png (1280x720, 359K)

>none of the modern games I play have such stutter issues at all
Try quantum break and just cause 3.
Though yes, you are correct, the more modern games actually get driver support.
The big issue for me is older games and the abysmal driver support for them, as I don't want to play only games that were made in the last 5 years, I mean that's the point of PC after all.

>I've played a lot of old early 2000s games recently with my V64 and haven't had any issues whatsoever, neither do any of the people I know who have Vega cards either.
What games, list them?

>In the case of the 1400&800 clocks, those are either V56 baseline clocks or the card is throttling, probably because the "overclock" just raised the clock while keeping the voltage at 1.2, aka user error.
What about this then >It seems like I only see these issues by anonymous people on Jow Forums, while claiming that Nvidia is perfect, which is by far not true at all.
I provided some proof of my claims though, and there is plenty of similar claims on the internet, you can just google them and find shit tons of results of people with the same issue.
Kotor one for example, real easy to find.

You on the other hand go "lol, no, no such issues for me or my friends, no I wont provide any proof and even though this issue is well reported by people on the internet and a quick google search of (amd kotor frame buffer effects/soft shadows crash) lets you confirm this, you claim it's just made up.

If you are going to damage control, at least provide proof, other than a single post saying "it's fine people go back to sleep"

I have a Vega 56 and kotor, you just need to enable soft shadows and frame buffer effects to replicate it?

yup, run the game with soft shadows and framebuffer effects.
For me and a lot of people the game crashes and is impossible to run with those video settings.
I tried a lot of different drivers as well, from the absolute latest, to ones that are what 2 years old?
Anyway with those settings enabled the game crashes when ever you load into a game or start a new game.

This.
Why can't we have a support at the dead edge of the cards to prevent bending?

Well, one google search brought me to this steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/343786746005437392/ and it seems to fix the issue, though I haven't tested it yet.

As for old games I've been playing recently here's the ones I currently have installed that I've played in the past few weeks/months:
Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
Ballistics
Battle Engine Aquila
Star Wars Battlefront 2
World in Conflict
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior
Call of Duty 4
Freelancer
Halo CE and Halo 2
Morrowind
Mass Effect 1
Fallout 1 & 2
Age of Empires 2
Sacred Gold

As for the clock variance, it can be two things, either the P states aren't locked and the card is downclocking when there's a lighter load on it, or the card is throttling. A Vega dropping HBM clocks down to 800 means that it's throttling down due to thermals, possibly due to voltage/power settings, bad cooler contact or fans not keeping up. HBM is temp sensitive and starts to run into instability above 75C, so the card will throttle to keep the temps within safe margins.

As for proving a negative, there's no way for me to prove that there are no issues other than perhaps posting 2 hour long gameplay videos of each game I listed? I'm not saying your issues are fake, just that they're not common.

>Well, one google search brought me to this steamcommunity.com/app/32370/discussions/0/343786746005437392/ and it seems to fix the issue, though I haven't tested it yet.
Tried that one as well, the game doesn't even start with that file in your game folder, for me at least.

>game list
And no issues with any of them, such as video settings crashing a game, or very unstable/stuttery frametimes?

>As for the clock variance, it can be two things, either the P states aren't locked and the card is downclocking when there's a lighter load on it, or the card is throttling. A Vega dropping HBM clocks down to 800 means that it's throttling down due to thermals,
>A Vega dropping HBM clocks down to 800 means that it's throttling down due to thermals, possibly due to voltage/power settings, bad cooler contact or fans not keeping up. HBM is temp sensitive and starts to run into instability above 75C, so the card will throttle to keep the temps within safe margins.
but look here look at the temps, SURELY it's not overheating.

>As for proving a negative, there's no way for me to prove that there are no issues other than perhaps posting 2 hour long gameplay videos of each game I listed? I'm not saying your issues are fake, just that they're not common.
Sure, but the point is that you can't claim there isn't issues, because I experience them personally and there is plenty of people on the net that do as well.

>just that they're not common.
They seem to be very common, depending on the game.

Again look here and this is just examples I discovered through trying to play vidya, I am sure there is more cases like this somewhere.

No issues, but I did lock the P states for all of them to keep the clocks locked, card usage was always like 30% or so even running them at 1440p. The biggest issues I've had with these games is getting them to run natively at 1440p ultrawide.

Looking at your graphs, it looks like your card wasn't getting enough voltage/power. Some games, for example Metro Exodus, will downclock the card if the voltage is too low and the power target is too low, which results in behavior similar to what's on your picture, since it's not thermal throttling adn I see your voltage is at 0.9V which is way too low, the low voltage would explain the low clocks.
You should try to put voltage at 1050mV and see if the throttling persists, different games hit the GPU differently, and some will not throttle at certain voltages, while others might, but myself I've only experienced this in Metro Exodus when having a 1600mhz/1100mhz setting with power target at 10%, I had to raise it to 20% to get the card to sustain those clocks.

Maybe I've just been lucky and you've been unlucky, my experience with Vega has been great, if yours has been terrible I won't be the one to tell you to not buy Nvidia.

Not only was someone actually paid to design a melted/bent case like that, it was actually approved by everyone involved and then mass produced. It's baffling.

Power target was always at +50%
The voltages I aslo played around with, default voltages or undervolt or static 1V on everything didn't produce better performance as the issue was under utilization, it felt like the card was too dumb to realize I want more performance and it instead just sat underutilized.

Anyway I tried 2 different vegas as well.
The issue again is with certain games the drivers are just shit. While other games work flawlessly.
If amd would just fix these issues in their drivers, as the card when fully utilized delivers good performance if at higher power costs than the competition.

50% power target is overkill, you can get better performance from setting it to 15-20%.
I still see your voltages are too low or optimistic, 0.9V is very low for a V64 to sustain boost clocks, it will likely go down to the 13/400 region. A more realistic voltage and power target combo for max clocks on V64 should be 1650Mhz @ 1050mV and 1050Mhz @ 950mv (voltage floor only, load voltage for HBM is locked at 1.3V) with a power target set to 15% and locking the P7 state as the min/max state for the core and the P3 state as min/max for the HBM.
If you have issues with the drivers, I don't know what to say other than try a full driver cleanup with DDU and isntall the latest non beta drivers, currently they're 19.7.1 and so far seem to be working fine for me.

Undervolting is better since it smooths out any spikes up or down in clock speed.

Yeah, but a 0.9V undervolt will force the card to clock down because the voltage is too low to sustain high clocks under load. Stock voltage for V64 on the core is 1200mV, anything below that is an undervolt, 1050mV is the sweet spot for the vast majority of V64s, with some very good undervolters being able to go down as low as 950mV while maintaining peak clocks. 900mV will absolutely underclock your card.