Does anyone here finds programming extremely boring like I do? I tried several times to get into, in college...

Does anyone here finds programming extremely boring like I do? I tried several times to get into, in college, with online courses, etc. but I always find myself bored to death. But the thing is that I FEEL I SHOULD like it, since I like everything about computers, from networks, computer hardware, vidya, etc. I'm passionate about newer CPUs, GPUs, etc. Every new launch about anything is exciting for me. But the moment I see a line of code I want to kill myself. I dropped every single course about coding about 1-4 weeks after I started.

Attached: 1527092868382.png (1200x1000, 299K)

>But the thing is that I FEEL I SHOULD like it, since I like everything about computers, from networks, computer hardware, vidya, etc. I'm passionate about newer CPUs, GPUs, etc. Every new launch about anything is exciting for me.
You are what normies call "a tech enthusiast".

Can the opposite be true also?
Can you be a programmer and not being a tech enthusiast?

I tried to convince myself I liked programming, lately I've realized I enjoy databases more, yeah it has some programming involved but it's comfy.

You may just be ethusiastic about your specific corner of the tech world. For example, you could be excited for feature additions to the language you most prefer, but give no shits about the newest phone models.

I enjoy programming but dont give a shit about cpus and various hardware

most programmers I know are. Many programmers (especially older ones) tend to stick to things that are cheap, easy, or just work. Hell, my main machine is a 2010 thinkpad. Most google developers just use macs. Richard Stallman has never installed an operating system.

Never looked at databases, all I did was html, css and some basic Javascript. Oh and some random courses of PHP online also. All fucking boring. A normie friend of mine who is also a programmer told me I should spend more time learning and see If I really like it. But if I already know the basics and still don't like it, I don't see how making a "fully functional" gay website like he says would improve my motivation.

Attached: 1560819512138.jpg (960x576, 107K)

It's only fun when you're making something that has a purpose. The shitty things they make you do for the vast majority of college classes will never be enjoyable.

You just don't have the mental fortitude to stick with and learn. Everything has a learning curve which is painful and not very rewarding at first. You won't be able to understand if you like it or not without getting over a certain skill level and that applies to a lot of skills, not just programming. Never going to make it until you get over that mindset.

Thing is that "programming" is a very wide term, programming a shader and programming a RESTful server require totally different skills.

Right now I have to develop a website and and API along with said database. I'm using javascript for the API and React for the website, and I can feel my brain rotting every time I'm working with JS but it's just easier and faster, so I just try to see if I can do some work on the DB.

>since I like everything about computers, from networks, computer hardware, vidya, etc. I'm passionate about newer CPUs, GPUs, etc.
the "I fucking love science" of the tech world

>I'm using javascript for the API
Just throw GraphQL in front of the database and call it a day

>Many programmers (especially older ones) tend to stick to things that are cheap, easy, or just work
This is too true. My friend uses a fucking Core 2 Duo machine with 4GB DDR2 ram for coding and I always tell him that he should upgrade, but he doesn't seem to care. And he earns about 4 times more than I do (I'm a wagecuck and he is semi-senior developer or some shit like that).
I have an i7 with 32GB of ram (b-dies) and a 500GB EVO nvme ssd. And I'm pretty sure that my friend doesn't even know what are the differences between a nvme ssd and a regular sata ssd. Yet he earns 4x as I do.

It's not fucking fair

Attached: 1466632975625.jpg (601x508, 31K)

programming is lego for computers, it's fun to build things

this is how i view it too. Also imo there is no greater feeling then completing some beastly program and being like "i fucking made this out of 0's and 1's"

>it's not fucking fair that my trivial knowledge of the minor technological differences between computer components used in high end computers that offer no advantage to programming doesn't make me a more valuable programmer than someone who actually knows what they're doing and doesn't bother with useless bullshit

>i fucking made this out of 0's and 1's
Unless you actually programmed it in binary, that's about as disingenuous as baking a cake and saying "I assembled this out of individual atoms"
Other people did 99% of the work between "1s and 0s" and your program, you just took their work and assembled it.

ok nigger I took advantage some level of abstraction to create a functional computer program, hows that. We all stand on the shoulders of giants

Haven't tried GraphQL, but querying is not the most crucial of my API, and lot of steps go into checking for data consistency, it's security system for private residential areas so I have to run some checks in order to assure the security of who enters and who leaves.

I don't know how GraphQL handles recursive queries either which have come handy in some of these processes.

>I took advantage some level of abstraction to create a functional computer program, hows that
Better, thanks

I just feel "wrong" that someone who is working with computers all the time doesn't care about newer hardware technologies being released and is devoted 100% to the software counterpart.

I genuinely enjoy it.

Attached: 1560837641027.gif (448x487, 1.71M)

You're not gonna get any sympathy from me. I also use a laptop from 2010 and am perfectly happy with it and mostly hate newer hardware. I tracked all the different lego PC building parts when I was a kid but couldn't give less of a shit about it now. It's just so inconsequential and useless to know for anyone who has a legitimate interest in computing and not just a surface level interest in assembling consumer electronics.

He's probably not "devoted 100% to the software" versus the hardware by the way. He probably just rightfully doesn't give a shit about the newest flavor of the month bullshit gamer component that companies are desperately trying to get "tech enthusiast" teens to buy. I bet he knows more than you about the low level operation of CPU architectures and memory, but just not lists of statistics and numbers from this month's component lineup from whatever brand is currently making that part

>Does anyone here finds programming extremely boring like I do?
Yes, we call those people "bad programmers" and Jow Forums is full of them.

>I bet he knows more than you about the low level operation of CPU architectures and memory
Well, I fit in the "like programming but isn't terribly interested in new hardware", but I sure as hell don't understand much about CPU architecture.

>But the thing is that I FEEL I SHOULD like it, since I like everything about computers, from networks, computer hardware, vidya, etc.
Congrats, your are brainwashed. Computer geeks are not and should not always be programmers or coders.

yes of course, you might be a math guy who only likes programming from the tech side

a lot of scientists arent tech entusiasts
even the ones that work with high tech machines / computers

Programming isn’t boring. But some technologies, such as the web stack are fucking mind numbing as shit, which makes learning them seem harder than it is.
My advice is to pick up Python and mess with the different libraries, the things you can build with relatively few lines of code IS actually exciting.

My professor/supervisor for an academic project didn't know what git was. The same guy has significant compute time on the largest supercomputers in my country. They just rely on PHD students and have dedicated sysadmins to do the grunt work.

Yeah, a normalfag. I don't know how people can enjoy programming but not the hardware lying underneath it. It's like being a painter without appreciation for the canvas.

You're a faggot normalfag frogposter. People who just consume PC parts without doing anything productive or genuinely cool stuff with them are fucking retarded and should be herded like cattle.

Some, or nowadays even most people just do programming because it rakes in good cash, not because they're interested in it

>stop having fun
NPC opinion

programming is boring because it's not challenging at all

>bro just consume and buy and consume to see little numbers go up and down depending on what we bought a consumed

At least you don't want to kill yourself doing something you care about

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not liking programming. Don't listen to the butthurt neckbeards ITT who already talk like boomers.
>lmao u just gotta try harder son!

>programming is inherently tied to the hardware "underlying" it
Lemme guess. Cnile?

maybe you'd get a bit more excited about programming if you'd be able to take advantage of your hardware (multithreaded programming, cuda, whatnot), but that requires some level of knowledge to begin with. i guess you're not cut out for it, nothing wrong with that though.

i mean, personally i think you're gay ass bitch weakling, but objectively speaking it's fine to not be into something. being a consumer is not wrong

>I don't know how people can enjoy programming but not the hardware lying underneath it.

Computer Science is not a science, and it's not even about computers.

it is great adventure when you can afford to work freely on things which interest you. Or when you suddenly get a great idea and decide to put in in the code.

When you are working in team for someone else on things you cannot relate to it is worst job in the world

Now know what to tell my gf when she asks how was work

please don't call your gf a nigger

>When you are working in team for someone else on things you cannot relate to it is worst job in the world
not sure what you imagine the working world to be like, but writing apps for some business is hardly the worst of anything. office perks and flexible hours while doing some problem solving so some customer can get some report? what's wrong with that?

Your a consumerist

I have mixed feelings about programming. I started learning it last year, when i was 26. I felt in love with It and i regret to this day not discovering it much earlier in my life.
But, what kind of programming that i like? Algos and DS. And that's It.
I think i will never understand or get excited about the "developer" side of programming. Learning frameworks and technologies that you don't know anything about or not knowing why would i even need "x" api that some people wrote, or that new library that is coming out from some guthub repository; huge frameworks (like spring) that would take me months to get used to...idk, it's just boring, mind numbing...

But anyway, after some months of not touching programming due to health problems i'm back at it, trying to force myself into get used with the "developer" aspect of programming".

Attached: tumblr_pmzcxfhFxs1w3y4ilo1_r4_640.gif (600x600, 2.82M)

This. Copying this for later

Based sicp lesson poster

I worked in full stack web dev for a couple years and it was mind numbingly boring. I write automation scripts now and find it genuinely enjoyable.
But yeah if you don't like it get out, keep our salaries dummy thicc

>My advice is to pick up Python
But everyone here shits on python.

Everyone here shills Python.

Women programmers. They write software but can’t install a printer.

cool blog retarded frog posting poltard
unsuscribed

>Everyone here shits on python
>Everyone here is a jobless neet
checks out

I can see you speak for yourself.

Python is nice for a hobby language.
If you really want a job, go Java, C#...