GNU/Linux is not a desktop OS and will never be

Windows/macOS is the best choice for the average user. Prove me wrong.
It's easy to set up, easy to use and has all the software you could possibly want. And it gets the job done. What more do you need? I don't see any reason for the average joe to use it.

Linux is far from being mainstream, I doubt it's ever gonna happen, in fact. Unusable for non-developers, non-geeks. Lots of usability problems, lots of elitism, lots of deniers ("works for me", "you just don't use it right", "Just git-pull the -latest branch, recompile, mess with 12 conf files and it should work"). Linux is a hobby OS because you literally need to make it your 'hobby' to just to figure out how the damn thing works. Linux sucks and will never break into the computer market because Linux still struggles with very basic tasks. It should be possible to configure pretty much everything via GUI (in the end Windows and macOS allow this) which is still not a case for some situations and operations.

Don't ever say that Linux can replace Windows or macOS for an average home user.

Attached: IMG_6229.jpg (300x375, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devrant.com/rants/2175949/see-image-this-guy-is-wrong-in-so-many-ways-windows-macos-is-the-best-choice-for
ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've been trying to install windows for a camp I work at, and it is a thousand times more painful than arch. At least when I fuck up on linux I can fix it without a whole system wipe.

agreed.
most people have a barely functional IQ, so it only makes sense the masses choose to use children's software.

>be me
>love linux
>girlfriend always poor, never touched a computer in her life outside rhe rare occasions her small town school has the ass computers for word docs or shitty learning modules
>basically peak zoomer
>buy her laptop
>install Ubuntu MATE for her with usb, takes like ten minutes
>gives her laptop
>play vidya with her, occasionally help her over discord regarding controlling mic volume and using the "app store" like once
>just werks.jpg

Attached: IMG_20180426_233053.jpg (2592x4608, 1.38M)

Nice blog post retard

I use Linux as my desktop OS, and it works just fine. You can use it even if you're a grandma, but someone needs to set it up for you. Protip: Grandma isn't going to be installing Windows either.

MacOS > Linux > Windows

Change my mind. Mac OS offers all of the same development tools you'd get on Linux, with the only downside being a shit third party package manager being required to install most of them. It has the best GUI, support for the best hardware, and generally just works, even in hackintoshes which are piss easy to make. I'm on one right now. Linux offers all the same stuff except the GUIs are all inconsistent shit, though it offers support for ARM and other obscure architectures making it ideal for embedded use. Windows? A bad joke that a few Indians have been telling for 25 years.

t. noobuntu retard

Windows and macOS don't get the job done for me. Neither of those provide freedom for the user.
>Linux doesn't do this thing blah blah blah
Linux is a kernel. Note how always in these threads OP does not mention what distro he tried. You probably installed Arch or some shit and got frustrated and then came here to whine about it. Suck it up bitch.

MacOS is a botnet OS, no better than windows

macOS: Pay $20 USD to be able to use your mouse buttons

Linux/Windows: Just works

------------

macOS: here's a beautiful IRC client only $10 for version 5 (lol version 6 will cost $15)

Linux: weechat for free

Windows: Hexchat for free

macOS is infested with a cancer of paid software for the most menial of tasks, I own several pieces of software that I'll never use since I gave up on Hackintosh.

macos is failed freebsd fork retard

MacOS also has irssi and weechat you fucking retard

>lots of deniers
Fucking lol. It DOES work for me.

>MacOS is a botnet OS
Provide proof.

I haven't paid for a single thing except the hardware. All the software I use regularly costs nothing. If there's some piece of software I want down the road that costs money I'll just pirate it.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 2.27.50 PM.png (1600x1200, 2.02M)

>>buy her laptop
lol cuck
she's using it to look at her other boyfriend's facebook right now

See pic. The OS is nonfree proprietary trash. Apple's marketing memes about respecting your privacy are all lies made up to smear Google.

Attached: PRISM-NSA-4.png (643x522, 136K)

> Mac OS offers all of the same development tools you'd get on Linux
Wrong. Very useful clang sanitizers for c/c++ only support linux, even though clang was developed by apple. These are very useful for catching bugs. Every professional developer SHOULD use them.
> It has the best GUI
Just your opinion. In my opinion it's very very ugly and annoying. Everyone has their preferred way of using a computer and mac doesn't respect that.
> support for the best hardware
Only supports a few number of hardware, and those hardware aren't that good. Also mac doesn't support vulkan and supports very outdated opengl.

Mac gcc is a symlink to clang, which is very incorrect... They do NOT support the same options! this bit me in the ass when making my software run on mac. To install new clang i went to the apple store to install xcode and it was trying to force me to add my creditcard, for cost-free software! i ended up using homebrew.

Mac is just a shitty version of freebsd.

I can monitor the traffic going though my router. Windows 10 Home on my girlfriend's laptop phones home to Microsoft. My hackintosh doesn't phone home to Apple.

>i ended up using homebrew
I did this to begin with and haven't had any issues.

> I can monitor the traffic going though my router. Windows 10 Home on my girlfriend's laptop phones home to Microsoft. My hackintosh doesn't phone home to Apple.
I agree that Mac is more privacy focused than Windows. I rather use mac than windows if i was forced to use either one of them.

>Windows
Windows 10 is the worst Windows. Windows 10 is the most resource intensive and high maintenance Windows to ever be developed. Also, they copied KDE's looks and have copied Linux multiple times.

>macOS
Overpriced underperforming hardware for a restricted featureless OS.

It's sad that some autists caught up to multi-billion multi-national conglomerates. Today I can install Linux in under 10 minutes and just forget it. It just works.

A small sample size is not proof of anything. Obviously nothing is going to be as bad as windows. MacOS is still a botnet OS.

you're just wrong. It replaced it for me, an average home user. If it did for me, it works for plenty of similar use cases.

If you're looking for backdoors in MacOS they'll probably be in FileVault (Apple's encryption utility) which I don't use anyways. Just a guess since they've had issues with passwords for encrypted APFS volumes getting leaked in plaintext before, which isn't something that's done by accident.

My stance on encryption is that if an attacker has physical access it's all over.

>Listening to Burzum

Attached: 94722B2A62EB4CF382CFAFB1ED194691.jpg (500x345, 55K)

You listen here you little shit...

Attached: varg-vikernes.jpg (696x464, 102K)

In the latest versions they made Win10 to consume more RAM to '''preserve''' apps you never use in memory. Yet start menu and any UWP app take forever to load. So if you have 8 gigs of RAM win10 pro will take 1/4 of your ram on boot. You can't disable that '''feature'''.

>le le loo loo unused ram is wasted ram
yeah I enjoy that moment when Windows starts loading things I need into swap and still keeps things I don't fucking need and never use in my memory. Like, I have free RAM I need but I can't use it because windows knows better what I really need to keep here. Yeah, seems legit.

>install ltsc xdd
I will never get tired of repeating that, if an OS has good attitude only for enterprise customers and makes its users pirate enterprise version while shitting on you if you are good goy and actually pay for your stuff, it's a shit OS and retards who actually pay for it and then get datamined deserve to be cyber-fucked in such a hilarious way.

>appel
overprice it's not the #1 thing that bothers me. What bothers me is planned obsolence and repetative engineering failures which make me suspect these are not 'failures' but 'feature'. I don't want to buy stuff from the company that treats me like a sheeple.

>linux
'Welcome! Welcome to OS 17! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining OSes.'

IT industry is such a fucking clown world, fuck, I hate it so much.

Attached: 1544209737154.jpg (442x460, 40K)

The average user can't set up Windows or MacOS either, they rely on it coming pre-installed.
Besides, who gives a fuck about the average user? Let normalfags use Windows, software only gets worse when you try to cater to them.

As a Jow Forums lurker, I hate Windows. Their app to watch photos is too slow. It literally takes half a minute to open the photo app.

With how most everything is on the shitty web 3.0 now, you could give someone a crappy HP laptop with Ubuntu and Google Chrome and they won't know the difference.
It isn't applications or difficulty of use that is holding Linux based OSs from reaching critical mass, it is because no laptops aimed at the average stupid user come with Linux pre-installed.

Attached: setup (1).png (1040x780, 855K)

yeah I agree with you. I'm happy with my Kubuntu PC though.

>drawing a circle in GIMP requires looking up a tutorial on the internet

I agree, it's not for everyone.

t. Happy Arch user since 2011

>Windows/macOS is the best choice for the average user. Prove me wrong.
Who the fuck cares what's best for the average user? The average user doesn't even know what's best for themselves.
>It's easy to set up, easy to use and has all the software you could possibly want. And it gets the job done.
This couldn't be further from the truth. The time it takes to set up a Windows PC and then install all the fucking updates and then click through all the adware installers for the shit you use is abominable.
>What more do you need? I don't see any reason for the average joe to use it.
I don't care what the average Joe uses. It's his own dumbass fault for using an inferior tool.
>Linux is far from being mainstream
Not my problem
>Lots of usability problems
Even more true for Windows
>lots of deniers ("works for me", "you just don't use it right", "Just git-pull the -latest branch, recompile, mess with 12 conf files and it should work").
It's not my fault you were too stupid to use a shitty bleeding edge distro.
>Linux is a hobby OS because you literally need to make it your 'hobby' to just to figure out how the damn thing works.
Linux is simpler than Windows. You have baby duck syndrome. Enlighten me on how great teh Windows registry is by comparison for anyone who actually has meaningful work to get done. I'll wait.
>Linux sucks and will never break into the computer market
I don't care
>because Linux still struggles with very basic tasks
False. Windows struggles on the desktop market because of the US Government's reluctance to do their goddamn job and bust up trusts.
>It should be possible to configure pretty much everything via GUI
This is already possible in any decent DE. KDE allows for this. XFCE allows for this in a bit more limited of a way. If you're using dogshit GNOME software, I can see why you might have this opinion. I use a window manager myself and I still barely have to configure anything outside of the tool that it comes with.

Attached: 2019-07-10-145517_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.36M)

>Don't ever say that Linux can replace Windows or macOS for an average home user.
Of course it can. It however can't replace Android, the by far most popular OS in personal computing. I guess that however also is an OS running Linux... just one tailored for the untrained masses.

> Lots of usability problems, lots of elitism, lots of deniers
That's Windows / OSX as well. Linux is simply the least bad of them, which is why it runs practically everything.

That it doesn't run "desktops" is a historical anomaly, people stick with what they learned.

Linux users are so arrogant...

>what is fedora
Get back to me once you've switched to the easiest distro known to man

devrant.com/rants/2175949/see-image-this-guy-is-wrong-in-so-many-ways-windows-macos-is-the-best-choice-for

Idk man, normies have a hard time with package managers in general, much less adding a 3rd party repo. And rpmfusion is pretty much necessary for a full fledged desktop.

Nice blogpost bro

If it wants to be a desktop OS it needs to just work, have a professional software library (Adobe, Sony Vegas, Microsoft Office, etc) and is able to play games. It also needs a professional looking DE that looks like it wasn't made by a NEET, even WinXP with its blue/green Fisherprice styling looks serious and professional somehow.
Funny how GNU/Linux dominates every sector now except for the desktop OS one.

hey freetard draw a circle

Not a blog post lol. Its a social media platform for people like developers.

Neither Windows or Mac "just work"

>Adobe, Sony Vegas, Microsoft Office
None of those are professional software. Real companies doing actual professional work require source code access for custom development and won't put up with cloud subscription scams

>play games

>fall for the lincucks meme
>have literally nothing to do on the computer anymore
>convince yourself that most people install distros and rice distros as hobbies
>get surprised when most people use computer programs that do not work on linux
AUTISM, many such cases

I'm not talking about hobbies. If your company has any computers at all, you will need to employ IT people to "install and rice distros" i.e. install your business's custom software and deploy it across the business. Using a program that only works on a nonfree OS is called "vendor lock in" and it isn't advisable to get yourself in that situation.

The only problem with Gnu/Linux is that you can't just go to best buy and buy a laptop with it pre-installed. It's why Chromebooks will become super popular in the next decade and fuck microsoft.

Otherwise every person I've installed linux for is completely fine with it for the 4-5 things they do on their computer, especially now that all their data sits on browser/cloud shit anyway. If you don't play video games linux is fine, especially baby-tier linux distros

90% of businesses use Microsoft office, they intentionally lock themselves into those vendors because they get sold it because companies are pretty fucking dumb, especially when it comes to software.

Most business's would still be running DOS if their own departments weren't throwing shit-fits about upgrade.

Some have tried selling computers with linux in them I think it was Dell?

k

Simply trying to install Chrome remote desktop on this piece of shit meme distro Pop OS completely fucked up everything, I reinstalled and can run terminal, there's no sound. Last year I had to reboot this OS too for a similar stupid reason. I'm in the market for a new PC anyway someone convince me not to just get a Dell with Windows 10 and install a bash shell

only contrarians and people who think they know more than they really do use macOS

>ubuntu
well theres your problem

if you're using the default photos "app" you should cease and discontinue browsing of this site

The default should be the only one that you should be able to use.

>trusting microsoft to make great products
you're unbearably naive

Attached: 1551987253396.gif (200x150, 2.11M)

Linux is to Jow Forums users as Rust is to Discord trannies. You can't convince them that their choice might be wrong.

I switched to Linux for privacy reasons mostly. I've become extremely anti big tech as a result of all the privacy issues and censorship lately.

I'm not. I'm just evil

t.Microsoft

>lately
Hello there, newfag. We've been discussing this here since around 2013

Some random guy installed Windows 10 in my mom's dual core 2gb ram laptop and it runs like shit, now that you windows shills are here, where could I download the cleanest (less bloat) WIN7 iso?
She only needs Microsoft Office and access to the internet.

Attached: 1562731664968.png (1024x768, 320K)

what the fuck, how old is she?

>'Welcome! Welcome to OS 17! You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining OSes.'
Can't you just use something like Mint or Ubuntu?

yui? more like cutie

Install Arch GNU.

What a shit...
End yourself!

>Linux is far from being mainstream
Meanwhile, in the real world, 80% of the mobile market runs on the Linux kernel

Biggest problem with Jow Forums is they think that niche knowledge of software is an indicator of intelligence.

>Put computer files on another hard drive
>Wip the first drive
>Install Windows
>Copy/Paste old files on the new install
How hard can that be ? Windows literally does everything else

GIMP is not for drawing circles like that, just install Krita

I have never programmed in my entire life and I use Linux, better than dealing with Windows constantly fucking something up with no way to troubleshoot it apart from reinstalling the entire operating system.

>Windows/macOS is the best choice for the average user. Prove me wrong.
ubuntu.com/
That was quick
>It's easy to set up, easy to use and has all the software you could possibly want. And it gets the job done. What more do you need? I don't see any reason for the average joe to use it.
What? Learn to type
>Linux is far from being mainstream, I doubt it's ever gonna happen, in fact. Unusable for non-developers, non-geeks. Lots of usability problems, lots of elitism, lots of deniers ("works for me", "you just don't use it right", "Just git-pull the -latest branch, recompile, mess with 12 conf files and it should work").
I mean, it only dominates every market except for desktop so, yeah i guess it's not main stream
I remember having to fuck around with 12 or so conf files on my android
>Just git-pull the -latest branch, recompile, mess with 12 conf files and it should work"). Linux is a hobby OS because you literally need to make it your 'hobby' to just to figure out how the damn thing works.
Oh yeah, its also very customizable. Pretty neat that you can do what you want with it
>Linux sucks and will never break into the computer market because Linux still struggles with very basic tasks.
Right, like security, kernel efficiency, and the basic task of inventing other basic tasks Microsoft will copy in a decade

>t. Brainlet
Install Gentoo

My father was able to go from Windows 7 to Linux Mint without any difficulty.

I'm not a fucking geek

There is no reason for Linux on desktop after WSL, and this coming from absolute oldfag who has used Linux since 2001.

this is just retarded
first of all, WSL is garbage
also windows isn't "the default OS" in any means which you imply with that "reason for linux" statement which also means your claim of being linux oldfag is clearly false

hello friend please post background image please thank you

how is his post arrogant? I am not a smart man but putting ubuntu or debian 10 on a usb and installing is not fucking hard

the reason I use linux was because it's nerd-tier

Just installed Debian 10. Can I play Cyberpunk 2077 on this?

Windows forces you to pay, not macOS.

Is that a movie?

everything has a browser, let her use office365
install some shit with xfce instead

>install new os
>have seperate home partition so thats it
>took 10-20 mins
how hard was that

This is just my personal experience and conclusions. If I make any mistake in my conclusions, please feel free to correct me.

Both windows and Linux have their strengths and weaknesses.

I'll start with Windows:
Windows 7 was the best windows version so far.
While windows 10 has some nice features, like multiple desktops, it consumes a lot of RAM and it's constantly using the HDD to the point of noticably hindering performance.

However, there's constant driver support for everything, almost every piece of software is available without extra modifications (eg wine). In my case, I occasionally work on Multisim, it's hands down best electronics CAD software. It is unworkable in Linux, even with wine.

Another thing that I have noticed is that Matlab is better integrated into windows in comparison to Linux, but that's a small annoyance. While there are terminal capabilities, either third party or native, it is discouraged; let's face it, its easier to double click and follow the instructions that even a toddler can comprehend.

Finally there's the muh gayming argument, but most games are also available on Linux as well.

Linux in the other hand has superior performance over windows, better software integration (eg anaconda); it just werks.

If you're a normie, stick with windows. If you do actual work in any stem field, you'd better start playing on both teams.

Attached: axfjepdj12931.jpg (708x652, 56K)

Oh yeah? Well I'm typing this from my Linux desktop. So you do you, Microsoft honey.

Attached: getoff.jpg (496x496, 134K)

source on the pic? is that unabomber garfield?

This. Linux is hard af.

>snotty retort goes here
>autism goes here
>anime pic goes here
>stupid remark goes here
>end retort goes here

Attached: supniggers.png (1333x252, 2K)