What's the use of an unlocked multiplier

If there is no headroom to OC?

At least intel chips have a 1ghz OC headroom, thus it is worthy to buy the K versions.

Attached: AMD-RYZEN-ZEN.jpg (1200x675, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WXbCdGENp5I?t=5m21s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1546649143178.png (1067x662, 15K)

Intel claims 9900k is 5ghz. according to silicon lottery only 33% make 5ghz.

this is some next level cope

sir kindly delte this reddit coment thank

Full transparency instead of jewed chips.

To have the illusion of choice.
Zen is so shitty it cant even hold a single core boost as advertised on box

I believe that if AMD weren't so focused into making their chips power effective those things would clock higher. Just look at the 9900K, you can ramp it up to 5.1GHz and make it consume 220W. While Zen 2 is held back not being able to go over 180W.

I don't blame them, they've been mocked for consuming too much power in the pass they probably want to stay above board.

I'd rather not have a house fire thanks. all this talk about OC might make intel summon another pentium D, lets not go down that road.

Because these chips like the 1xxx and 1xxx zen chips are actually ALREADY OC'd but people are too stupid to understand that.

But if you don't overclock a 9900k, you can run it at 4.7ghz @ 1.2v
Ryzen 3000 needs like 1.5v for 4.5ghz lol

>overclocking doesn't matter

Better than the 0% of Zen2.

>a ryzen 3000 at 4.4ghz

Keep dreaming.

I'd take a ryzen 3000 at 4.4ghz or even with PBO enabled over a 9900k at 4.7ghz.
enjoy your faildozer I guess.

Poozen tops out at 4.3 all-core if you got a golden chip LMAO

>over a 9900k at 4.7ghz
9900k @ 4.7ghz is literally stock...

4.9-5ghz all core is possible with an NH-D15 or similar air cooling.

5.1ghz is possible with a good motherboard and a nice water loop.

Attached: 2019-07-10 21_20_42.png (794x130, 12K)

epic.
>I believe that if AMD weren't so focused into making their chips power effective those things would clock higher.
>I'd rather not have a house fire thanks

Attached: D-o4JUJVUAAtYGf[1].png (1175x486, 27K)

>sour grapes

They have trouble reaching 4.45

You're literally in tears right now.

4.5 on a single core

>I'd take a ryzen 3000 at 4.4ghz
Maybe if you disable smt and feed it 1.4v lol

>ryzen 3000 at 4.4ghz
Where can I find what you're smoking?

3900 reaches 4.65 single core

I’m just relaying what many tech journalists have said.

The advertised boost clocks are 99.99% of the time unattainable in normal scenarios.

And still tops out at 4.3 all-core if you're lucky

you know you are in r.eddit you retarded shill, right? you don't have to double space here.

aren't*
although Jow Forums has a lot of crossover with r.edditors these days.

>8 cores for $500
>not 12 cores for $500

They rarely go above 5.1 with retarded voltages on LN2. The architecture and fab process are just not really capable of doing that right now.

Everything ok at home bud?

you can decide to clock it lower if you don t want a house fire you dumbass. a stock 9900k is not a house fire
so they can brag about having unlocked cpus show pic ? max i have seen is 4.5 single core.

guru3d reached 4.4 on a 3900

>4.4 in 2019

Yikes

>clock speed doesn’t matter

yes, not going out of their way to restrict options is an illusion of choice

level1tech also confirms 3900 can reach 4.65 single
level1tech also claims to have been able to manual clock to 4.5 all core

Attached: X570-AORUS-XTREME-BIOS-F1-1.png (1920x1080, 150K)

even the 9900k struggles past 5.5ghz and that's on their 4th improvement of 14nm. we need to move away from silicon.

It kinda doesn't if you have higher multi-core. This is 100% why intel released the i9-9900K, out of fear from pic related.

Attached: Witcher.png (1314x1192, 53K)

>12 cores barely beating 8 cores
and you call that a success ?

It's considered a golden sample super overclock in amd land

OH NO NO NO

SIEG HEIL VOLTAGE , in 2 weeks that CPU will not work

AMD said that only CPU-Z shows the correct voltage

clocks are barely relevant to performance you fucking retards
if you want big numbers get a bulldozer CPU

I'm pretty tech illiterate. What exactly prevents a silicon from running at say 6ghz? Is it a physical limit of silicon?
I need to read some documents on how does a microchip work.

Attached: 1540226696104.png (184x184, 59K)

I think the value of overclocking is over stated.
I bought my current CPU, a SandyBridge 2500k with the intention to overclock it once the performance becomes relatively poor in the hopes of delaying an upgrade. The general consensus is you can expect a 4.5GHz overclock (up from 3.3), and certainly 4.1 with no changes to voltages.
I ran it at 4.0 24/7 for about a year and a half before it failed. This was noted somewhere in the bios and it now prevents me from increasing the clock rate above base.
I'm pretty sure the base clock rate is the only safe clock rate. Nobody wants to undersell their performance.

clock speed matters, but AMD clock per CLOCK performance is better. intel is only ahead in games cause they have higher frequency, but AMD basicly has better architecture at this point, and intel should be very afraid of 7nm+ . if AMD manages to pull up their cpus to 4.6 ghz all cores , it s kinda over for intel even in gaming and single core apps

>testing a CPU in ultra quality

?? and cpuz shows 1.488, last i heard safe voltage for ryzen 3000 is no more than 1.4 or 1.35

these Inturds are going to be in for a surprise when their 10nm 12900K's can't clock higher than 4.2GHz. Especially with Foveros.

Who cares? Current 10nm stuff looks so impressive with the IPC increase that even at 4Ghz it would match current 14nm++ 5Ghz performance.

That makes no sense what causes electromigrafion is excess voltage.
I ran a nehalem 950 4.2ghz for 4+ years without any sign of degradation.

This is what it looks like when you run a game that's CPU-bound

Attached: poozen.jpg (1920x1080, 409K)

Core count by itself means nothing. IBM has quad-core server CPUs.

At the end of the day, performance (including power needs), and price are all that it makes sense to compare.

It's a very hard proposition but feasible. The majority of issues isn't even voltage is the so small die surface area dissipating so much heat. You can't effectively transfer watts to keep the chip reliable so you need to dial down frequencies.

>This is what it looks like when you run a game

Attached: adobe[1].jpg (939x517, 60K)

>games
>cpu-bound
lmao.

Look at the GPU being used and the fact that intel approved(tm) 720p gaymen resolution

so you don't care if it's intel getting the gain.

Overwatch is. I wasted money on a 1070ti. I can't run it at 120 fps stable with lowest settings.

he set his overclock or load settings incorrectly
you're actually meant to set a negative voltage on load because the cores down clock

Really, no game is that CPU intensive that you need to but any over $200 if all you're doing is gaming.

that's a poorly programmed game user, that's different. the moment games start demanding avx-512 instructions is the moment games start being cpu-bound.
pretty much, intel and now amd are making millions of suckers buying their top SKUs to play games on them.

my favorite was threadrippers being advertised for gaming

If AMD had lower clocks that beat intel, then great.

But they have lower clocks, AND still lose in per core performance.

Intel is king of per core performance, even if they don't have the current IPC advantage, since they clock higher.

If they DO get the IPC advantage back and it clocks lower, as long as it's still better than AMD, then so fucking what?

temperatures. with liquid nitrogen silicon can go to 7ghz no problem ( kinda)

again, like cores counts, frequency by itself means nothing. Cache by itself means nothing.

Actual performance is what matters. Core counts, cache, and frequency are for comparing processors within the same architecture.

Look at GPUs to see how far comparing core counts and frequencies between architectures gets you.

with what voltage ? i have been running my 2600k since 2012 untill 2018 at 4.6 ghz . then it started to fail . now i run it at 4.4 ghz at 1.4v ( really not good ) waiting for it to finally die and have an excuse to upgrade

Nice gpu bound test retard

techpowerup has different results .

Attached: battlefield-v-1920-1080.png (500x610, 44K)

AMD says if everything is set to auto, don't worry about it. The chip will never use unsafe voltages and will limit itself according to thermal limitations. Doing 1.5 for a short time is no problem. The chip will ramp up as long as the thermals allow it. Der Bower did a test with LN2 using a completely stock 3900x and it ramped up to almost 4.9 ghz as the temperature dropped to -150 degrees Celsius.

At this point, just don't touch the chip, the auto settings are way better than anything you could dial in.

what cpu do you use?

fucking reddit faggots. also you are wrong.
>intel is king of core performance
>don t have IPC advantage
are you retarded ? you just contradicted yourself .

>At this point, just don't touch the chip, the auto settings are way better than anything you could dial in.
So basically, overclocking doesn't matter?

Your all-core overclock will always perform worse than the automatic precision boost overclock. This is because the chip is actively reacting to work loads and temperatures in order to get the best possible speeds.

Your all-core oc is inefficient.

Actual overclocking yes, if you want better performance now look at better cooling and lapping

They don't need the IPC advantage since they clock 500Mhz+ higher.

That's LITERALLY the point of my fucking comment.

>overclocking doesn’t matter

Oh no no no ahahaha

AMD cope knows no bounds.

Nice strawman, we have simply reached the point where manual overclocking is obsolete. PBO is so good that it outperforms any manual overclock.

lol, another word for that is, there is no headroom.

there was a time when overclocking basically gave you 50% more performance out of a chip, extreme overclockers reached absurd clock rates. today even a 9900k on water cooling will get you at most 20% performance increase, auto-overclocking features are the future.

There obviously is, it's just the chip is better at hitting it than you are.

doesn t change the fact that these chips can t overclock for shit manual or auto

having an auto-overclocking feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be possible to manually overclock.

You don't even know what overclocking is. They overclock infinitely so long as thermal conditions allow.

Attached: Witcher(1).jpg (1254x277, 51K)

Overclocking is a thing of the past.

youtu.be/WXbCdGENp5I?t=5m21s
You are literally retarded. The only thing limiting overclocking is temps.

>manual overclocking is obsolete
>can’t hit 4.5ghz

Sour grapes

DELETE THIS RIGHT NOW

>doesn't show 1% and 5% mins

Yeah kys

...yeah and without spending $400+ on a custom loop, or even more on LN2, then you're looking at a max of about 4.3Ghz on air or AIO water.

Why do you even keep posting...

for real workloads auto-overclocking will always get you the most performance, even intcel knows this as they introducing boosting clock rates when OS needs it. the only reason the 9900k doesn't auto boost to the max is because the power consumption and temps would be ridiculous.

because you are a nigger.