Is it a meme?

Is it a meme?

Attached: os-logo-b44ed4fc34_2560.png (756x531, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System76
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I mean, it's somewhat preferable if you were planning to use ubuntu with gnome.

It's an improvement over stock Ubuntu and probably gives the best Gnome 3 experience for people who stick with apt.
It also probably works better than something like Linux Mint out of the box, so there's that.

gnome fucking sucks so yeah

gnome is alright with gnome tweaks

what does it actually do? it looks identical to ubuntu

It comes stock with third party drivers

The team handles some packages

But for the most part it's Ubuntu made to be a little friendlier to noobs. They made it for their hardware. The company is system 72

So... it's built on top of debian ?

Like 90% of every fucking distro. I wish people came up with new things like Solus or Void instead of Debian/Ubuntu fork with a customized DE.

It's really good at finding printers.

It's not a meme until somebody shills it on Jow Forums
>at which time you should also assume it's garbage.

so it's ubuntu + pic related + a ppa? what's in the ppa and why do people think this is so great?

Attached: drivers.jpg (500x293, 44K)

I don’t know what they’ve done, but it feels a lot snappier than Ubuntu. Also all the annoying crap from Ubuntu is gone, and you get better looks and some extra conveniences. I also get much better battery life than on Ubuntu. Give it a try, it’s very comfy.

It's all right if you're running GNOME

I see retards posting on their >subreddit talking about how they're installing MATE or XFCE and I just shake my head. That's what Xubuntu and Ubuntu MATE are for.

Basically it's an all right distro if you don't mind Ubuntu, but it's basically just Ubuntu with a few minor tweaks.

It’s only really great because it’s a purpose built distro meant to be shipped with a PC and just have the hardware you purchased work
System 76 could have just loaded a Ubuntu image and called it a day but since they are a more “premium” system integrater they wanted something with a little more polish and optimizations than what a stock distribution install would give

just use debian retards

don't forget to dilate

I bet it'll stop getting updated once no one buys their wannabe mactoddler prebuilts

>prebuilts bad
You’ll grow up one day and then you might see some value in system validation and dealing with a single vendor

developing a distro from scratch is much more difficult than using a preexisting one as a base

oh yeah, more fracturing is exactly what the linux desktop needs

ok grandpa

>Pop_os
Named after that childish and normie as fuck Pop doll garbage you always see in söyboy bedrooms.
>System76
Named after the literally gay soldier guy from that comic book video game blizzard made.

The company and their products are absolutely fucking trash. If you want a nearly unusable freetard laptop then Librem is your only choice. If you want true freedom and you're okay with both a desktop and a high price, then the Raptor Computing Talos II is what you want.
If you really need a laptop and you're not autistic, just get a fucking Dell Inspiron or a Thinkpad or something.

How are they trash tho? I’m curious

It's just standard hardware with an okay-but-not-great build quality marked up like crazy. Also I hear the support sucks. You're essentially buying a big meme. The Apple of freetardation.

I have it installed on my moms computer. Works well for her facebook email and freecell usage.

Handles switching between Nvidia and Intel gpus really well

Sorry for the seemingly unrelated question, but would you happen to be a climate change sceptic?

>Named after that childish and normie as fuck Pop doll garbage you always see in söyboy bedrooms.

Wait fucking really? That's gross I legitimately am considering uninstalling this distro now

It also sometimes glitches out and shows you the dumb default lock screen with vector pictures of robots and stuff. I'm mortified someone may see it one day and think I actually set my lock screen to some hipster art

No, retard. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System76

The only thing I'm "sceptical" about is your command of the English language.
No, I'm not a typical climate skeptic. I don't believe we have nearly enough evidence to prove why the climate is changing, but it definitely is, and carbon emissions aren't helping. I think we should go hard into nuclear asap, but fat fucking chance of that happening.

They basically just tweak Ubuntu for you (or for their own hardware).
>sell hardware with nvidua GPUs
>make sure the os is configured properly for nvidia gpus

>what's in the ppa
A shitty GNOME theme that breaks with every update

Yes. It seems the company name wasn't based on Overwatch since the company is too old for that to be true, but pic related are the people who made your distro. The name was definitely "inspired" by the figures.

Attached: s76chillin-900x675.jpg (900x675, 170K)

Literally your best option if you want to use GNOME.

>coreboot is a meme
If you happen to know of better deals that offer modern hardware with Coreboot or Libreboot pre-installed, I'd like to hear it.

>20+ sodas in picrel
yeah clearly it must be named after some toy and not anything else.

Attached: Xzibit.png (489x320, 292K)

Nitpicking silly typos aside, cheers for the answer. Your usage of the term "basedboy" was what prompted the question, as just like climate change denial, it is steeped in pseudo science. Possibly not an insult (if it can even be called as such) that you want to use if you don't want to appear stark raving mad.

Coreboot is a meme, but the Purism Librem comes with it, and it also has real hardware switches for the radio, camera and mic which is nice. Still overpriced for what it is.
Just libreboot a Thinkpad for Christ's sake.

it's basically like all the stupid bullshit that android brands do, only unlike companies such as samsung that actually add functionality, it just changes settings.

Oh, Jow Forums changes that? That's hilarious. Explains the inexplicable ö.

>Just libreboot a Thinkpad for Christ's sake.
I need modern hardware to run VMs.
>Coreboot is a meme
It's as free as you can get while keeping everything still working. How the fuck you think having a freer system is a meme? That is not how it works.
>the Purism Librem comes with it, and it also has real hardware switches for the radio, camera and mic which is nice. Still overpriced for what it is.
It also comes with much slower CPUs.

Are you just pulling that out of your ass? Even if called me a mean name it does seem more like "Pop" is just a reference to modern material design practices. I assumed the dev team looks like that, I don't really care but if you can find some evidence for your claim it would be the last straw and I would reinstall immediately

It's a joke word, m8. Almost everyone here knows it means "hipster manchild".

lurkmoar

>I need modern hardware to run VMs.
>much slower CPUs
Get a desktop. Seriously. Laptops are ass to actually get work done anyway. You might think you really need the laptop because... reasons. You almost certainly don't.

Yes, it's the Ubuntu's Manjaro.

As far as I know, nobody knows for sure, but it's pretty goddamn strange that their office has Funko Pop! figures here and there, and they decided to call it Pop!_OS. Not Pop. Pop!

>Get a desktop. Seriously. Laptops are ass to actually get work done anyway. You might think you really need the laptop because... reasons. You almost certainly don't.
What if you are traveling for work?
What if you don't want to have multiple workstations?
Some people need the mobility of a laptop.

>but it's pretty goddamn strange that their office has Funko Pop! figures here and there
No it isn't, those stupid fucking things are everywhere, I've even seen coders who maintain legacy systems keep them in their offices

>they decided to call it Pop!_OS. Not Pop. Pop!
This is a valid point though. I'm going to have to think about the ramifications of this

If you're traveling for work then your company will probably give you a laptop which you'll be obliged to use for work purposes. You won't get much done when not hooked onto the docking station with the dual 23 inch monitors and real keyboard/mouse, but at least you can read email.
This is what I do because I work both in office, at home, and occasionally in a meeting at a remote site. The laptop is pretty underpowered, so when I need to run a large build or some analysis on a large dataset, I do it on a server. I have a dedicated workstation VM and I can create new ones. You don't need a datacenter to do this though. Just a desktop for remoting into.

It's Ubuntu with even more bloat.

>! on the name of the fucking distribution
>that font
it can't be anything other than a manchild's meme for steam

>rebranded generic clevo units
>premium

I've been using it the past few weeks and it keeps freezing up on me.
Opening firefox just hangs up the whole system randomly, sometimes within minutes but sometimes only after a few hours or leaving the computer overnight.
One tab or dozens doesn't seem to make acdifference.

It's certainly not a joke word for a lot of angry people, given how furiously they spout it. The supposed joke status doesn't really change how mad it seems, for that matter; be careful, lest it slips in to your everyday speech.

haruko os

Attached: popos.png (1000x577, 29K)

I use it and find it really comfortable for working with multiple desktops, but the design and name is like it made by a bunch of basedboys, which it is